Media Megaforum

TRANSFORMERS! Fuk yeah!
TheMidge28 at 6:23PM, July 16, 2007
(online)
It was too human based.
There was dumb characters like Voigt's and Tuturro's(sp?)
I didn't like it at all!
I am glad I went to a matinee at least.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
mlai at 7:41AM, July 17, 2007
(online)
Thank god there were no fembots in this movie. That would've geekified the film to an unbearable degree.

Optimus having his faceplate off wouldn't be so bad if he didn't look like Optimus Primal underneath.

Yeah, Transformers aren't giant robots. They're giant mechanical lifeforms with mental and psychological constructs which are, amazingly, 99.9% the same as those of humans.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
jalford at 3:19PM, July 17, 2007
(online)
Technically(at least this is the story they gave in Beast Wars), Transformers are a living essence called a “spark” which inhabits a mechanical body. So, they're basically robots with electrical living souls.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Hguyver at 12:49AM, July 19, 2007
(online)
I got a bad feeling about this…

I found this pic, here
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
jalford at 3:29AM, July 22, 2007
(online)
The game for the movie is pretty badass, but like the previous Transformers game there's about a billion more Decepticons than there should've been.
shadowmagi at 1:18PM, July 22, 2007
(offline)
not to sound like an utter fangirl…
but..
TRANSFORMERS IS ONE OF THE BEST @#$%#@ MOVIES I HAVE EVER SEEN.

:)

*Psst*
….
(i like feedback~!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
jalford at 2:06AM, July 23, 2007
(online)
I hope that for this new series that Shockwave will go back to being an asshole like he was in the comics and “Energon”, and not the bootlicking Soundwave-wannanbe that he was in the original show.
mlai at 6:24AM, July 23, 2007
(online)
I will not EVER watch that new show. I deny its existence. It does not exist.

That's about as bad as that new Looney Tunes superhero show.

Hguyver at 11:44PM, July 24, 2007
(online)
mlai

DOn't even get me started on that… Ugh…
ZeroVX at 4:05AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
mlai

Wait, that show actually exists?

Dear God Almighty, what is wrong with the world?!!
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
jalford at 1:52PM, July 25, 2007
(online)
Makes you wonder what they have in store for the Muppet Babies(another 80s Marvel Entertainment animated show, BTW). Incidently, did anyone else notice how shitty the quality in animation got for the third season of the original Transformers series(the season after the movie)?
Hguyver at 5:30PM, July 25, 2007
(online)
That WAS pretty awful wasn't it? I dunno. I just couldn't really get myself into the series after Optimus died.
MrRiot at 7:31AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Bay's Transformers movie is the perfect example of what happens when a director who has no respect for the source material (He's ON RECORD as saying he didn't want to make the movie, and thought the franchise was stupid and that he didn't want to make a toy movie)is practically forced to make a movie (Spielberg wouldn't let him off the hook). There's 20+ years of transformers mythos to pull from here, folks! Instead, what do we get? TWO HOURS OF SHIA LEBOUF TALKING!

The story actually could have been pretty good. Hell, it WAS pretty good. I liked the concept of the Allspark being a tangible thing. I liked the back-story of Optimus and Megatron ruling Cybertron side-by-side as Ruler and Lord Protector (It's in the prequel comic, but still a cool concept). The story was good…but all the crap they dressed it up with…gag. I could have done without the 10 minute “Were you…masturbating?” scene (among others, but that's a prime example). Did I miss the memo where Transformers was put on the same level as American Pie?

Also, what was with changing Brawl's name to Devestator in the final cut? Devestator could have been a GREAT threat for the sequel! Bring on the combiners!

“I know! We'll get ourselves a cast of, oh, 20 two-dimensional human characters to take up more than half the movie. Then we'll make Jazz a more racist character than Roadblock in GI Joe was, throw in some masturbation jokes, a hot chick, and an obligatory G1 nod to keep some of the fans from burning down our houses. THEN we might show the Transformers here and there. Like guest stars!”

I saw it twice. The second time to see if there was anything I'd missed. I'm hoping the sequel focuses more on the Transformers themselves, and not on humans. If I wanted to watch two-dimensional acting, I could go watch Dawson's Creek.

The Good:
1. Peter Cullen as Prime.
2. The montage where the Autobots were showing up and choosing their alt-modes.
3. Jazz died (I'm sorry, but movie Jazz was an embarassment, and his death had absolutely no impact on…well…anything. Even Prime basically tossed his body aside after saying, “Aw, Jazz…” Scatman Crothers is rolling over in his grave)
4. Starscream's snide comment at Megatron (you could hear the sarcasm dripping from his voice)
5. BARRICADE! Now HE was a Decepticon to be proud of!
6. Prime said, “One shall stand, one shall fall!” (granted it was off-screen in the least-climactic fight between Prime and Megatron EVER, but at least he said it!)
7. Plenty of room for fan-favorite TFs to show up in the sequel. There's already talk of Grimlock and Arcee.
8. Prime's axe/blade (a nod to G1 Prime)
9. Seeing the Autobots follow Prime down the highway. I have to admit, it was like seeing old friends after a long absence.

The Bad:
1. Shia Lebouf
2. That AWFUL guy from Sector 7. I say “awful” in the “Gawd, that guy sucked” way. I mean, really? THIS idit was in charge of a government secret taskforce?!
3. That whole side-plot with the hip, young hackers. What the fuck was THAT for? It didn't further the story AT ALL and wasted time that could have been better spent with characterization of the Transformers.
4. That damn scene with the Autobots playing hide and seek around Sam's house to hide from his parents.
5. “Let's take this thing that the KILLER ROBOTS FROM OUTER-SPACE want into a HEAVILY POPULATED CITY! Nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong with THAT plan!”
6. The Prime/Megatron fight was just….blah. More than half of it was off-screen, and what the hell?! Prime goes down after TWO HITS, and decides suicide is the only option? The Prime I grew up with wouldn't have given up like that!
7. Peter Cullen got practically no billing. Considering the fact that he was offered the movie because thousands of fans DEMANDED he voice Prime, the man deserves some top billing…not to be hidden in the credits just before stunt-men.
8. Mountain Dew-bot? Autobots, transform and product place!
9. Prime leaves Bumblebee behind?! Did I miss something here? He has no problem tossing an SUV around to get Sam, but “Oh, no. We can't help Bumblebee now…we might harm one of those guys shooting him with harpoons and liquid nitrogen”?! That's a Megatron move, leaving a man behind. Prime's not that kind of bot.
10. Almost NO characterization for the Decepticons! The 'cons are cool villains, man! They deserve to let us see some of their personalities!
11. Frenzy. I mean…what the hell.

Overall, I give it a 6/10…mainly for the nostalgic value of the franchise. I look foward to the sequel, though, hoping for more screentime and characterization for the TFs themselves.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
MrRiot at 7:45AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
mlai
I will not EVER watch that new show. I deny its existence. It does not exist.

I thought that way, too. Especially seeing the poster for the new show.

But then I saw the footage from San DiegoCon(http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=261&itemid=11455). The new cartoon looks like it's a HUGE nod to G1 Transformers(hell, just listen to the new theme song, might as well BE the old one)…up to having a bunch of G1 voice actors reprise their roles (Susan Blue is doing Arcee for example). The cast of characters (once you get past the big, green lumox) actually looks kinda cool. Optimus, Bumblebee, Grimlock, Swoop, Slag, Shockwave, Soundwave, Starscream, etc. I'm hearing that the Decepticons are going to be INSANELY powerful, taking two or three Autobots to take one down. That'll make each ‘bot/’con fight a bit grander, personally.

The toys look bad-ass, too. They're almost PERFECT animation-true bot modes that rather flawlessly transform back into their alt-modes. http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=8198&dispsize=800&start=0

I'll give the new show a chance, just like I gave the movie a chance. Worst case scenario, we get some cool toys out of it. I already want the new Grimlock.

But, yeah…Loonatics Unleashed (the name of the Looney Tunes superhero show) was God-awful.

Kohdok at 3:16PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
It does give a bit of a G1 Vibe. It doesn't look like Prime has any of those weird combinations, or anything. Starscream does look a little like Jay Leno, though…

And if the Decepticons are already that powerful, I wonder what will happen when Devastator rolls around.

As for the actual show, I think the main turn-off for people is how stylized it looks. A lot of shows nowadays are extremely stylized rather than looking like the standard, somewhat realistic animation we saw in the 80's and 90's, so it doesn't LOOK like the good ol' G1 cartoon we used to know so well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
MrRiot at 6:18PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Kohdok
It does give a bit of a G1 Vibe. It doesn't look like Prime has any of those weird combinations, or anything. Starscream does look a little like Jay Leno, though…

And if the Decepticons are already that powerful, I wonder what will happen when Devastator rolls around.

As for the actual show, I think the main turn-off for people is how stylized it looks. A lot of shows nowadays are extremely stylized rather than looking like the standard, somewhat realistic animation we saw in the 80's and 90's, so it doesn't LOOK like the good ol' G1 cartoon we used to know so well.

As a collector, a big draw for this cartoon is that habro has sworn off line-wide gimmicks. Like how, with Energon for example, they had those stupid Key-things that made other parts pop out…of Minicons that id the same thing. It's just all about TRANFORMATION here.
I'm still iffy on the stylized way it looks too…but seeing it in action made me at least decide to give it a chance. At least it's not two piles of twisted scrap metal falling into eachother with really shaky camera work *coughcoughBayformerscoughcough*

Personally, I'm looking foward to, “Oh, crap! We can't beat these guys! Call in the Dinobots!” like the good old days. I'm REALLY hoping they don't use them as lame comic relief like they did towards the end of season 2, the original movie, and season 3. That'll be what makes or breaks the show for me. Well, that and how they do Shockwave.

kennatsu at 6:33PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
MrRiot
4. That damn scene with the Autobots playing hide and seek around Sam's house to hide from his parents.

I actually thought that scene was pretty funny. I mean, Transformers have to transform to hide, right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Kohdok at 9:43PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
MrRiot
As a collector, a big draw for this cartoon is that habro has sworn off line-wide gimmicks. Like how, with Energon for example, they had those stupid Key-things that made other parts pop out…of Minicons that id the same thing. It's just all about TRANFORMATION here.
I'm still iffy on the stylized way it looks too…but seeing it in action made me at least decide to give it a chance. At least it's not two piles of twisted scrap metal falling into eachother with really shaky camera work *coughcoughBayformerscoughcough*

Personally, I'm looking foward to, “Oh, crap! We can't beat these guys! Call in the Dinobots!” like the good old days. I'm REALLY hoping they don't use them as lame comic relief like they did towards the end of season 2, the original movie, and season 3. That'll be what makes or breaks the show for me. Well, that and how they do Shockwave.

Erm. Cybertron was the series with the keys. Energon had combiners. At least it's not using all of that crappy CG we see in Energon and Cybertron.

And thank god Prime doesn't have a Voltron/Megazord rip-off going.

Anyway, the Autobots call in the Dinobots, Megatron orders the Constructicons to merge into Devastator and they fight. Just like old times, indeed. If they make a Devastator, of course, but you can't have Dinobots without someday adding Devastator. The two are like peanut-butter and jelly.
MrRiot at 10:23PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Kohdok
MrRiot

Erm. Cybertron was the series with the keys. Energon had combiners. At least it's not using all of that crappy CG we see in Energon and Cybertron.

And thank god Prime doesn't have a Voltron/Megazord rip-off going.

Anyway, the Autobots call in the Dinobots, Megatron orders the Constructicons to merge into Devastator and they fight. Just like old times, indeed. If they make a Devastator, of course, but you can't have Dinobots without someday adding Devastator. The two are like peanut-butter and jelly.

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't really watch much of the Unicron Trillogy, so the three shows kind of merge together into one, unsightly mess.

daniel_the_drummer at 7:40PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
I thought the movie was great! I went to see it four times (mainly for the animation, read my bio) and found it absolutely out of this world. I am not a die hard trans fan, but i drift in and out (trying to get back in at the moment with the new IDW comics) mainly of the comics because the recent art in them has been really cool and really detailed. At first i was a bit iffy about the new designs for the film, liking the blocky, 80's style myself, but when i watched it, it worked really well. I think it was friendly to all kinds of audiences, from hard core fans, to new comers, and also thought that it made it very believable. I do think that there was a lack of characterization on the bots, mainly on the decepticon's part, but i heard they are looking to save that for the next two films, along with the constructicons, soundwave and an air-craft carrier character.

I know all the Super Trans Fans are going to butcher what i just said, but hey, i liked it.

Dan
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
MrRiot at 8:18PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
daniel_the_drummer
I thought the movie was great! I went to see it four times (mainly for the animation, read my bio) and found it absolutely out of this world. I am not a die hard trans fan, but i drift in and out (trying to get back in at the moment with the new IDW comics) mainly of the comics because the recent art in them has been really cool and really detailed. At first i was a bit iffy about the new designs for the film, liking the blocky, 80's style myself, but when i watched it, it worked really well. I think it was friendly to all kinds of audiences, from hard core fans, to new comers, and also thought that it made it very believable. I do think that there was a lack of characterization on the bots, mainly on the decepticon's part, but i heard they are looking to save that for the next two films, along with the constructicons, soundwave and an air-craft carrier character.

I know all the Super Trans Fans are going to butcher what i just said, but hey, i liked it.

Dan

The IDW comics are a great place to start reading. They've been a ridiculous amount of fun. Especially “War Within” volumes I&II.

The movie designs, to me, would have worked better if there were more distinguishing characteristics. Prime and Bumblebee were ok, because they had bright colors to help differentiate them from the pack. Ratchet had that to a point as well. My main problem with the movie designs (other than their looking like Bionicle figures on steroids) was that they were so BUSY, and the designers were so intent on making them “realistic”, that when two were in a scene fighting, they just looked like two piles of scrap metal
falling into eachother.

I, too, am looking foward to the sequels. There's already talk of Acree, Grimlock(WHOOHOO!), the Constructicons(Devestator would make an EXCELLENT 2nd movie threat…too bad they screwed the pooch and renamed Brawl “Devestator” at the last minute in the movie) and more. I heard the Carrier was going to be Tidal Wave.

I'm banking on Grimlock! The Autobots have no real muscle on their team. Optimus was made to look like a wimp against Megatron(If you're honest with yourselves, you'll realize it too), and Ironhide can't carry the team on his weapons alone. Grimlock (and the Dinobots) are the Autobots heavy hitters…they NEED them!

daniel_the_drummer at 4:45AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
I read all the war with in series when Dreamwave were publishing but it was too bad that they went bankrupt before they could finish the third series, but i am really looking forward to just picking up the infiltration, stormbringer, escalation and spotlight graphic novels next week and the movie prequel and movie adaptaion comics next week and just sittin down and seriously buffing up on the new transformers mythos. It's going to be great. I started a forum about doing a fan comic on here that totally reinvented the franchise (check it on my forum list on my page) but it was not very well received. I am not a big fan of fan comics, but i wanted like a group of us on here to do it….. it's all in the forum, just check it out. Anyways, when i was young it was Beastwars that were all the rage, and i absolutely loved it. I am trying to get the DVD's over here in the uk, but they dont do them, so i am going to have to import them (it's stupid, they released Beast Machines over here). I wanna watch them all again so i can read the graphic novel they did set between series 2 and 3. I like this forum……….
daniel_the_drummer at 4:46AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
Oh, and i agree that in the fight scenes it was a bit tricky to pick out exactly what was going on, but overall i thought the film was great.
Kohdok at 9:36AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
daniel_the_drummer
Oh, and i agree that in the fight scenes it was a bit tricky to pick out exactly what was going on, but overall i thought the film was great.

Agreed. It reminded me a bit of Friday Night Lights, with all the excessive zoom and too much happening in one place. Perhaps they were trying to overwhelm the audience in the theater, and it worked, but to a negative extent. They should have zoomed out and showed what was going on: a fight shouldn't be entirely close-ups.
Ocka at 12:39AM, Aug. 5, 2007
(offline)
This new transformers series looks awesome to me and way better than the crappy 3-d/ cell shaded series I've been seeing lately.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
mlai at 4:05PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(online)
Not that I'm a TF fan, and I prolly wouldn't watch these cartoons anyways (don't watch cartoons anymore except Avatar Last Airbender), but if I had to choose I'd rather watch CG animation of TF than this robot-teen-titans that's being shown here in the preview clip. And that human character, that little girl… what in god's name?!? She looks like she crawled out of the Home for Imaginary Friends.

This style is so not what TF was about.

MrRiot at 9:23PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(online)
mlai
Not that I'm a TF fan, and I prolly wouldn't watch these cartoons anyways (don't watch cartoons anymore except Avatar Last Airbender), but if I had to choose I'd rather watch CG animation of TF than this robot-teen-titans that's being shown here in the preview clip. And that human character, that little girl… what in god's name?!? She looks like she crawled out of the Home for Imaginary Friends.

This style is so not what TF was about.

That style actually works quite well with what Transformers(in all it's animated incarnations) is all about: TF has ALWAYS been a cartoon used to promote a toy line. That kind of style is popular these days, so using it to promote a newer, streamlined version of TF makes perfect sense for the franchise.
…and yuck. The CG/Cel-shaded series were gawd-awful. I like animation, not CGI…but the two being “melded” together just looks terrible. I just tried watching them and…ugh. 10-minute speeches about friendship, Optimus is a self-doubting little bitch, the “fights” just involve a lot of posturing and cut-scenes not showing any actual fighting…no thanks. From what I've seen of the new series, Optimus is pretty aggressive and proactive…which gives him a leg up on all his previous incarnations (with exception of War Within Optimus). Three of the five Dinobots are in it (Go, GRIMLOCK!), fan favorites from all TF generations are popping up: looks like a winner to me. I'll just ignore the little girl the same way I always ignored Spike in G1 TF.

Really? Avatar? I really don't get what everyone sees in that show.

jalford at 3:18AM, Aug. 6, 2007
(online)
I totally wanna see Starscream vs. Shockwave for who'll be the bigger backstabber. They always have Starscream as the asshole of the Decepticreeps, but in the comics(and briefly in Transformers: Energon as Shockblast)Shockwave was way more power-hungry.

Hope to see more of Arcee's fine pink cromium booty too.
“Yeah, I'll be your ”HEADMASTER“, baby! Giggity!”
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 1:35PM, Aug. 6, 2007
(offline)
This is why I only watch movies. That way when something gets made into I wont know the original and will actually enjoy it. I can get where you're going I guess considering the DooM movie and how that made me feel. Quiet honestly though, I'm not watching/playing/reading anything based on something else if this is how I'm gonna' get.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
MrRiot at 4:24PM, Aug. 6, 2007
(online)
jalford
I totally wanna see Starscream vs. Shockwave for who'll be the bigger backstabber. They always have Starscream as the asshole of the Decepticreeps, but in the comics(and briefly in Transformers: Energon as Shockblast)Shockwave was way more power-hungry.

Hope to see more of Arcee's fine pink cromium booty too.
“Yeah, I'll be your ”HEADMASTER“, baby! Giggity!”

Shockwave was the MAN–er…BOT…in the comics. All five Dinobots couldn't dogpile him into submission. I hope they play that up, too.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved