Media Megaforum

Transformers: Animated. Your thoughts?
kennatsu at 5:12PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(offline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2vjFbm025E

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. The theme song is great, second only to the original that was done for the Transformers commercials way back then (I don't like the version that was done for the animated series). I know this show is being done for OUR kids (or grandkids, depending on your circumstances). Unfortunately, from what I'm seeing on the YouTube comments sections a lot of people don't like how it's turning out. What do you people think?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Cthulhu at 6:21PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
*Looks up to the Heavens, at God*

You're a real prick, you know that, right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
isukun at 6:23PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
Looks like stock animation for the transformations, a more than likely annoying little kid character, and I'm not particularly fond of the weapons they seem to have. And sorry, but I hate that intro. Doing an homage to the original is a nice idea, but about half way through that song becomes garbage. I can also see Bumblebee turning into a really hate-able character, especially with that voice. Bumblebee was a wiseass in the original series (in fact, most of the smaller Transformers had more attitude to make up for their short stature until the movie, Brawn, Cliffjumper, Rumble, anyone?), not some cutsy character.

It's kind of an odd mishmash of anime-wannabe knockoff crap and legitimate tribute to the original series. On the plus side, I do like how they're trying to get back to their roots in some of the portrayals. I noticed the crowd liked the new Starscream and whoever is doing his voice is trying really hard to sound like the original. At the very least it doesn't sound like an anime dub, unlike the last few series to hit American TV (of course, they were anime dubs). I may check it out because it has potential, but there is also a lot that can go wrong, so I'm not going to go in with high expectations.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Inkmonkey at 6:32PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
I think it definitely looks better in animation than the still images I've seen over the past few months, but I have serious doubts about that kid with the jet pack…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
kennatsu at 7:08PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(offline)
isukun
I noticed the crowd liked the new Starscream and whoever is doing his voice is trying really hard to sound like the original.

I read up on this (but Wikipedia is not known for being totally accurate) but it looks like the guy who does Spongebob Squarepants is doing that voice. O_O

I think whoever did the Starscream voice for this video should've been hired for that part, though… %)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ItfWY3xMQ
Careful! Bad Language Warning!!!
jalford at 3:40AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
Couldn't be too much worse than Transformers: Armada! And for Chrissake, leave the fukkin retarded kids out of this one!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
AQua_ng at 9:55AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
I agree whole-heartedly with what isukun said. What I liked about the G1 Transformers was that when they transform, the animators have the effort to animate that particular one than falling back on one that they will use again, and again. And again. It seems they would usually do in the series is to make them ‘spin’ as they did with Prowl.

I thought the theme had potential, right until the lyrics went:

They wage their battle to destroy…….the evil forces of the Dececpticons.

I cringed, as that was the line that would make or break the theme. It broke it. I mean, really broke it.

I did like Starscream's voice, although it he was portrayed more of a butt-kisser than that double crossing card that he is.

It looks better than the Unicron Trilogy, but it would be even better if they just edged away from the swooshy backgrounds and moral lessons

And please, no kiddies.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:57AM
alexhatzia at 11:21AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
i agree to the statement that the transformers looks better animated. but this whole character design kinda turns me off. it's a little too cartoony for my taste. there's something about the legs that i don't really like. and they all look kind of flimsy to me. other than that the animation looks pretty well done and the theme song is really good.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Inkmonkey at 12:14PM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
My problem with the design is largely what it means for the toys. What I really liked about the toys was that, if they were in car mode, they pretty much looked like Hot Wheels or any other “small toy car” brand. It was cool; it was like a secret toy. You could leave an untransformed Transformer in a box of regular cars, and no one would be the wiser. Now, because of how heavily stylized everything is, you can look at an untransformed one and know, without even looking at the emblem, that it's a Transformer.
isukun at 3:04PM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
I did like Starscream's voice, although it he was portrayed more of a butt-kisser than that double crossing card that he is.

There is a definite hint of sarcasm in his voice there. There were many times when Starscream would use similar language in G1 when criticisming Megatron's decisions (refer to him in a way that seems respectful only to follow up with a diss), so I could easily see the next line being something far more insulting towards Megatron.
kennatsu at 3:10PM, Sept. 17, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
My problem with the design is largely what it means for the toys. What I really liked about the toys was that, if they were in car mode, they pretty much looked like Hot Wheels or any other “small toy car” brand. It was cool; it was like a secret toy. You could leave an untransformed Transformer in a box of regular cars, and no one would be the wiser. Now, because of how heavily stylized everything is, you can look at an untransformed one and know, without even looking at the emblem, that it's a Transformer.

That's the appeal of the old G1 transformers to me as well. Even better was if you took a very close look at it without picking it up to see what's underneath (or in Starscream's case, even if you picked him up on jet mode and took a close look at him you wouldn't know he was a Transformer!) :)
jalford at 3:30AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
First of all, give Optimus his lightsaber-axe back! None of these pop-up hand weapons crap!

Bumblebee is an Audi? Downgrade!

At least Ratchet looks more like an actual emergency-reponse vehicle.

Megatron looks like Galvatron.
MrRiot at 2:25PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
My INITIAL reaction was one of disgust and repulsion. I hated the designs and I hated the concepts leaked out. I also thought it was going to be based on the movie…which is a slap in the face to TF fans.

I have since been converted. Upon seeing the clips from SDCC, stuff on-line, and (most of all) the TOY designs…I'm sold. The entire series seems to be a nod to G1 fans (up to and including several of the original voice actors), and I really like the idea that the Decepticons are so powerful, that it takes 2 or 3 autobots to take one down. I also like the idea of a “younger” more inexperienced Prime (especially after reading War Within). We've got the Dinobots (YAY GRIMLOCK!), we've got fan-favorites Arcee, Wrek-Gar, and Soundwave. Starscream is back to being…well…Starscream!

I think that most of the people who look at this show and scream ‘Nay’ are also the people who looked at the digital abortion that was the movie and said, “Yes! Best Transformers ever!”.

Personally, I can't wait until january. I'll make my final decision then.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
mlai at 3:42PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
MrRiot
My INITIAL reaction was one of disgust and repulsion. I hated the designs and I hated the concepts leaked out.
My initial and final reaction remains one of disgust and repulsion.

I think that most of the people who look at this show and scream ‘Nay’ are also the people who looked at the digital abortion that was the movie and said, “Yes! Best Transformers ever!”.
I don't follow that logic.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
SpANG at 8:28PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
I don't think there's anything I don't dislike about that preview. It looks horrid.

Machines shouldn't bend like that. Sucky, stupid weapons. The song sucks. I could go on, but it's wasted too much of my time already. :/

Then again, the 80's cartoon was horrible too. And the subsequent versions after. The only thing ever cool about Transformers were the actual toys.

But the movie was alright.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
mlai at 6:56AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
See, the difference between the 80's original and this horrid remake is that as bad as the 80's original was, it doesn't:

-> bend robots like they're spiderman.
-> pretend to be cool. It just was what it was.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Neilsama at 7:31AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
I don't know. the original cartoon had some rather elastic metal moments. Any time one of the robots brought his hand to his chin, I was always like, “Uh… wait a minute.” The bulk of the arms would never allow for such articulation.

But the thing about Transformers is that you always had to throw a little bit of logic and science out the window. Otherwise, if you wanted robots that had full human-like articulation, they would almost have to be as ugly as they were in the 2007 Transformers motion picture.

The original series had great characterization, which was always severely lacking in the Japanese versions of the show. The characterization was ALWAYS the strength of G1, which is why you can hear people cheering at the voice of Starscream. They recognize that as belonging to one of the greatest cartoon scoundrels of all time. …Even if Chris Latta is no longer with us to provide the performance.

If the new series can recapture the priority on characterization, I see no real reason why it should fail, even if I don't particularly like the animation style.

I admit, I groaned when I saw the psuedo-anime/Bruce Timm style art that I'm just so tired of seeing anymore. It's obviously taking cues from Teen Titans, which makes me really annoyed.

On the other hand, this looks like it might be the closest we'll ever come to G1. In fact, if it actually cares about continuity, something that G1 never did, then it might actually be better. For all of its faults, it IS better than any of the Japanese incarnations thus far.

And if they're really smart, I hope they got a few of the original voices to return. I saw the Dinobots in there, and it would be uber cool to hear Gregg Burger's voice doing Grimlock again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
isukun at 10:10AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
I admit, I groaned when I saw the psuedo-anime/Bruce Timm style art that I'm just so tired of seeing anymore.

I think the name you're looking for there is Glen Murakami. Bruce Timm acted as executive producer a couple seasons of the Teen Titans, but Murakami created the character designs and managed the bulk of the artistic side of things. The style changed after Justice League and that is largely due to Murakami having more control over the newer projects.

You also get more of the Eastern inspired martial arts in the fighting, while Bruce Timm's series tend to have a more Western brawler approach. Fights just seem more brutal. I kind of liked the return to that in Doomsday, too bad the movie didn't have a better plot. It's kind of funny that you got a similar approach in the G1 series, as well. No flashy fighting, just tackles, punches, and shooting each other in the back. In fact, I loved how even the good guys would fight dirty. I guess we won't be seeing much of that in the new series, though.
MrRiot at 3:40PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
mlai
MrRiot
I don't follow that logic.

Allow me to ellaborate:
Transformers fans are a funny lot. They'll look at the overly-busy, Bionicle-on-steroid movie designs and say, “WOW. That's AWESOME!” Not because they actually WERE(which you'll never convince me they were), but because there was this general feeling of, “Well, this is all we are getting. Better make the best of it.” There was also the “Its about time someone revamped the way the TFs look!” camp. Just because the name TRANSFORMERS was put on a movie that almost completely ignored 20+ years of source material, fans defend it to the death. Which is freaking ridiculous.

Instead of greeting this cartoon with the supposedly open minds everyone claimed to have about the movie, the new cartoon's getting the “Fuck that, looks like Teen titans” approach and everyone's whining about how robots shouldn't bend. Go watch G1 kids…they bent all the time! It's called animation. I don't see Teen Titans, I see the freaking TRANSFORMERS…just drawn differently. You can TELL who the characters are. The animation may not be IDEAL for a TF show…but a lot of people thought that about the Clone Wars cartoon at first, and look how well that style worked for that.

Personally, I have a feeling that this new cartoon will wind up like Beast Wars, and later, Beast machines did: bitched and moaned about during it's run by die-hard fans…but then hailed several years later as an important part of the Transformers mythos.

Inkmonkey at 4:06PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
MrRiot
Personally, I have a feeling that this new cartoon will wind up like Beast Wars, and later, Beast machines did: bitched and moaned about during it's run by die-hard fans…but then hailed several years later as an important part of the Transformers mythos.

Are you sure you want to include “Beast Machines” in that statement?
ozoneocean at 4:24AM, Sept. 22, 2007
(online)
I couldn't stand Beast wars, I thought it was crap. Beast Machines was cool though: simpler, better told story, MUCH better character and machine designs, better animation, just over all a nicely produced, well contained, solid series. Loved it when I first saw it.
SpANG
Then again, the 80's cartoon was horrible too. And the subsequent versions after. The only thing ever cool about Transformers were the actual toys.
Heh, even many of the toys were bad… about 50%? The best thing about the animated series was the transformation sound :)
I still love that!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Inkmonkey at 5:01AM, Sept. 22, 2007
(online)
I will agree that Beast Machines had better animation and sense of design (since the character designs were based on what would look good, not what the action figures already look like). I don't know about the story; maybe if I hadn't already been a Beast Wars fan I would have enjoyed Machines more, but I felt it was a bit dumbed down in some areas, and certainly had less edge (since it wasn't in syndication, which gives a bit more leeway in content). Either way, from my understanding the greater majority of fans prefer Wars over Machines, and I would go so far to say that most of us just outright dislike Machines.
Neilsama at 4:17PM, Sept. 22, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
The best thing about the animated series was the transformation sound :)
I still love that!
Here's a bit of trivia. There's only one time in the whole series where the transformation sound plays absolutely clean with no music under it. It's the scene in the movie immediately after Prime says “Megatron must be stopped… no matter the cost.”

I ripped that sound and discovered that there appears to have only been one recording of the sound. By slowing it down, speeding it up, and playing it backwards, you can reproduce virtually every variation of it that you hear in the series.
jalford at 4:29PM, Sept. 22, 2007
(online)
It'd be nice if they could keep the feature they had in the movie where they could periodically transform into whatever vehicle or items they happen to “scan”. I just hope they totally leave out the two worse kind of Transformers ever made: Pretenders and Mini-Cons. Mini-Cons are just too freakin' annoying, and the Pretenders were like crossing the line as to what Transformers should disguise themselves as. Humans? No, too much, thanx!
MrRiot at 9:12AM, Sept. 27, 2007
(online)
Inkmonkey
MrRiot

Are you sure you want to include “Beast Machines” in that statement?

Heh, don't look at ME. I didn't like Beast Wars OR Beast Machines all that much. I'm just saying that that's how those two are viewed now. At the time, TF fans cried foul…but go troll seibertron.com or tfw2005.com…they're viewed as the second coming now.

Neilsama at 2:17PM, Sept. 27, 2007
(online)
jalford
I just hope they totally leave out the two worse kind of Transformers ever made: Pretenders and Mini-Cons.
Pretenders had potential in the hands of someone who could make sense of the concept. The Japanese Master Force series actually made enough sense out of it that robots hiding in human society made some degree of sense. And the Decepticons, naturally, were the monsters.

Unfortunately, the US comics were not as clever in that department, as they left the aspect ratios of the toys intact, which meant that they were disguised as giant humans.

Although, I kind of like what Simon Furman did with Bludgeon, the Decepticon who transformed into a samurai of death. He really ran with that character and made something special out of one of the most generic G1 toys.

It's too bad the Pretenders came out at a time that the toy quality was at a decline. Those 88-90 Transformers broke way too easily. Especially if you had any with the infamous gold plastic.

I'll have to agree with you about the minicons. Not only did they grant the power to unlock abilities that are locked for no apparent reason, but they turned it into Pokemon. And individually, they contributed nothing to the story. And most insultingly of all, the ceased to be relevent in Transformers Energon.
kennatsu at 2:43AM, Sept. 28, 2007
(offline)
If/when they introduce combiner transformers into the show I hope they don't take the shortcut that Energon took… one intelligence controlling all the components whether seperate or combined. The G1 Combiners were interesting to me because their personalities usually were messed up somewhat when combined. The combiner's personality had to deal with all the conflicts with all its component parts. This is especially true of the Stunticons. Menasaur had mental problems because Roadmaster (the core of Menasaur and leader of the Stunticons) was hated by all the other members of the group. It didn't help that the other stunticons had problems (one was so paranoid that he thought ordinary cars were staring at him), and Dead End was a totally emo Decepticon. O_O
Neilsama at 9:16AM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
kennatsu
If/when they introduce combiner transformers into the show I hope they don't take the shortcut that Energon took… one intelligence controlling all the components whether seperate or combined. The G1 Combiners were interesting to me because their personalities usually were messed up somewhat when combined. The combiner's personality had to deal with all the conflicts with all its component parts. This is especially true of the Stunticons. Menasaur had mental problems because Roadmaster (the core of Menasaur and leader of the Stunticons) was hated by all the other members of the group. It didn't help that the other stunticons had problems (one was so paranoid that he thought ordinary cars were staring at him), and Dead End was a totally emo Decepticon. O_O
Yes! I loved the emo robot. Totally pessimistic. That was the thing that G1 was great for having, was that every character had a unique personality.

Oh, and speaking of combiner teams…

http://www.drunkduck.com/Dasien/?p=285534
ozoneocean at 12:07AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
I like the name… “Titanus”…

“Tit-anus” Hur hur hur ^_^
Intentional or not, that appeals to me! It was a funny Comic page too and touches on the idea of toy size, Vs cartoon transformer size…

So who were the biggest transformers anyway?
Omega Supreme was one of the early monsters. Broadside was only massive in his aircraft carrier form, but that WAS one of the huge ones. Skyfire/jetfire was pretty massive, then there was that Autobot from the movie that turned into an entire city… That Unicron guy who was basically a “Glacticus” clone did however transform- Probably the biggest ever but somehow not a true transformer I think in some ways because he was just a device for the movie. Then there were all the combiner thingos, among whom Devastator was the first. Can't remember all the rest of the combiners, must have been at least 3 more? I think the Autobots had some emergency vehicles (fire engine etc), and some aeroplanes (a concord, f-15 etc).

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
MrRiot at 2:53PM, Sept. 30, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
I like the name… “Titanus”…

“Tit-anus” Hur hur hur ^_^
Intentional or not, that appeals to me! It was a funny Comic page too and touches on the idea of toy size, Vs cartoon transformer size…

So who were the biggest transformers anyway?
Omega Supreme was one of the early monsters. Broadside was only massive in his aircraft carrier form, but that WAS one of the huge ones. Skyfire/jetfire was pretty massive, then there was that Autobot from the movie that turned into an entire city… That Unicron guy who was basically a “Glacticus” clone did however transform- Probably the biggest ever but somehow not a true transformer I think in some ways because he was just a device for the movie. Then there were all the combiner thingos, among whom Devastator was the first. Can't remember all the rest of the combiners, must have been at least 3 more? I think the Autobots had some emergency vehicles (fire engine etc), and some aeroplanes (a concord, f-15 etc).

First off, there are Gestalts and Combiners. Gestalts are when two or more bots merge and the merging creates a NEW personality. Combiners are when two or more bots merge, but one of the merging bots becomes the dominant personality.

Devastator was a great Gestalt because the Constructicons on their own are some of the brightest minds on Cybertron…but when they merge, Devastator is a mindless brute…like the Hulk. Then there were the Protectobots (the emergency vehicles) who merged into Defensor (combiner, I forget the name of the Protectobot who takes over). Then there's Computron (Gestalt) built by (of all bots) Grimlock, who's formed out of the…I think it was Technobots, I'm not positive. My personal favorite is Predaking, who's the product of when the Predacons merge. I believe that Predaking was a Gestalt, but there was no real personality involved…Predking just beat everyone's ass. Menasor was a Gestalt, but like mentioned above…he was an odd case because the other Stunticons' hatred of Motormaster was so severe that is had an adverse effect on the Gestalt technology.

Unicron and Primus are just…well…plot points. They only pop up and are used when needed to escalate a story. Unicron is supposed to be this all-powerful evil monster-god…but The Fallen is just way cooler and seems to cause way more trouble (Go read War Within and you'll see what I'm talking about).

Omega Supreme was one of those cases where he's such a powerful Transformer that even Gestalts like Menasor and Predaking can get their asses handed to them.

Then there's Trypticon. The giant dinosaur/battle station/mobile assault base for the Decepticons. He can only really be countered by Fortress Maximus, his Autobots equivelent.

From there it just gets out of control and silly…with Dinoking, and King Poseidon combiner and gestalts…and Star Saber and Super God Ginrai and so on and so forth.
Don't even get me started on the crap that Armada/Energon/Cybertron caused with combiners…all three of those series just sucked and the kids were even more annoying than Spike and Daniel combined.

I hope I've been of some help. Let me know if I've missed anything from G1…I've got family members bugging me whist I type this.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved