Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Troubles in keeping updates... what advices could you give me?
simonitro at 2:21AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
Hey there,

I know for the fact that it is taking me forever to update the next page. These slow updates are probably one of the reasons I don't get much viewers or commentators. I do enjoy comicing and I'm trying not to slack off. Since, I have a new job and within this job, they give me extra work at home. So, there isn't much time to work on my comics and I'm beig very tired. Even though, if I have any tim to spare, I don't take a rest and I'd jump and start working on the next comic page. When I start to work on my comics, it takes me forever to work on because I need reference and I always wanting my art to be the best that could come out of me and that'll take me more time.

So, what are your advices for me that would help me finish these pages faster and what are good websites where I could find references on action poses, angles, and etc… to help me with the process?

Thanks in advanced to any advice,

Simon.

Enjoy… Las Vegas-y
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
demontales at 7:27AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
I'd say you either simplify your art style or the process if that is possible(cut the colors for exemple). You might loose readers doing so, but I think close updates are always a big boost for any comic.

There is no easy way to work faster, except practicing, which takes a lot of time too. If you want to go really faster, I'm afraid you'll have to lower the quality somewhere. I am in the same problem and I know it's not easy whatever you choose to do in the end.

The best references are people around you. You could keep a sketchbook/pad with you and draw people/environement when you get 10-20 minutes breaks that may not be enough to work on your comic, but enough to practice your skills.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Tim Wellman at 8:34AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
One way to produce quicker is to start collecting references… that way you don't have to go looking for poses online and get distracted. Just grab all the reference pics you like and keep them in a single folder so you can get to them quickly. Antarctic Press also sells a few posefile books which might help.

The best pose site online is
http://www.posemaniacs.com/

For working faster, and this is only what works for me, the trick is to not work longer than about 15 minutes at a sitting. After that, stand up, go get a drink, pet the dog, etc… just waste a few minutes, then get back to drawing for another 15 minutes… I find I work much faster overall like that in short bursts rather than slaving over a drawing for hours straight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
fukujinzuke at 7:08PM, March 7, 2010
(online)
Get a wooden poseable art figure.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
The Gravekeeper at 5:56PM, March 10, 2010
(offline)
fukujinzuke
Get a wooden poseable art figure.

Get a good quality art figure. If it's got springs in the joints, don't get it; it won't hold poses. A good one can cost around $30-50 and won't let you down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Darth Mongoose at 12:55AM, March 11, 2010
(online)
Learn to draw without references. Sure, it may take longer at first, but once you've got the hang of drawing people without refs thanks to practice and careful anatomical study, you will be able to draw so much faster. Personally, I never use direct references for my work. The poses tend to come out more dynamic looking too.

What you want with a webcomic is to find a technique that balances speed and looks. I used to do a webcomic with fineliner inking and markers. It took a long time and a lot of fuss. Now I generally do my inking digitally. It means my pencils don't need to be super-neat which means I can do them faster, and digital inking also makes digital colouring more streamlined because the lineart needs no cleaning or anything.
Find the stages that really eat into your time, and try to see how you can be more efficient. For example, if inking really takes up time, but you have good looking pencils, just do a pencil comic like ‘Megatokyo’. If the colour is taking ages, look up some colouring tutorials and see if you can't find techniques and short cuts.
Overall though, nothing improves speed like good old practice! It takes me about an hour or two shorter to make a page now than it used to when I was starting out. Not only does confidence and skill improve, but you get used to the rhythm of doing the pages, and spend less time feeling drained, making mistakes, staring at the page or procrastinating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved