Media Megaforum

True Combiners toys vs the regular Combiner toys...
Lonnehart at 3:36PM, June 7, 2011
(online)
Giant robots that have several independent component pieces to them that combine to form a giant robotic combat form. But adapted into a toy version… or the other way around. But I'm talking about the toys. I figure toys are a medium in and of themselves even though they're not in the forum description, so I'll put this post here.

So what's the difference between a “true” combiner and a regular one? For me the True combiners require no extra parts to come together. Easy enough if it's composed of two components, but with more pieces comes more complication.

As far as I know, Voltron (both Lion and Vehicle forms) is a true combiner. You don't need any extra pieces to form the giant robot himself. By itself, each piece is a complete toy, with either the 5 toy lions or the 15 land/air/sea craft combining to form the giant robot.

On the other side of the coin are the self proclaimed combiners from the Transformers series. Yes, they combine. But they're not true combiners because you need extra pieces that aren't used for any other function except to hold the whole thing together or to provide the parts they don't have; fists, feet, head, etc… This means if you somehow lose one of those extra pieces you can't combine them… if you still can it's just gonna look be weird. The Transformers Generation 1 Devastator is probably the worst offendor of this lot… he needs an extra piece to combine his legs with his torso!!!

What are your thoughts on this? And do you know of any giant robot teams of either classification? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Abt_Nihil at 3:19AM, June 8, 2011
(offline)
I'm only familiar with the Transformers combiners. ROTF Devastator actually loses two small parts when combining the individual vehicles. The downside is that the vehicles by themselves don't transform into anything. Same thing with the recent ROTF combiners line (Grimstone, Mudslinger, etc.): One of their parts transforms, but the others are just “drones” - they transform from vehicle (or dinosaur) to being a part of the “giant” combiner, but they don't have individual robot modes.

ROTF Leader figures Optimus Prime and Jetfire don't need any extra parts to combine them… but the combiner is the “powered up” Prime, and not a “new” robot altogether.

IMHO, the best Transformers combiner is the Legends (or EZ) Devastator. Its parts are the tiny Legends figures, but each of them has both vehicle and robot mode, and they all combine to form a very nice Devastator. Makes me wonder why they couldn't do something similar with their biggest toy, the giant Devastator.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
ozoneocean at 1:12PM, June 8, 2011
(online)
What is “ROTF” and “EZ”?

Omega Supreme was a transformer playset that joined together into a massive bot. Interesting variation on this whole “combiner” thing.

I agree, a lot of those transformer combos were a bit lame, but then their ordinary transformers were also often like that- all the Decepticon jet series were basically crap: They barely transformed AT ALL, their heads were teeeeny, and many bits either had to be removed or added depending on what state they were in… Or taken off and plugged into a different slot like their stupid guns. Not to mention the fact that their humanoid forms were amazingly ugly, clumsy and stupid.
VERY badly designed transforming toys! -I still have two of those somewhere.

…That was just a rant. -_-

I dunno, I never really had a full combiner set of transformers. They looked ok in the pics though. The only good cartoons about combiners that I recall were the two Voltron ones. I had some Voltron toys.
They made transformers look like engineering masterpieces. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Abt_Nihil at 3:38PM, June 8, 2011
(offline)
ROTF = Revenge of the Fallen – I absolutely love the Transformers ROTF toy line. Best Optimus Prime ever. (Such a shame the movie was so bad T_T)

The Legends Devastator is labelled “EZ” in Japan. I guess it's because the legends figures are easy to transform :P I think that the Legends Devastator is the closest the Transformers toys ever got to the perfect combiner.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved