Media Megaforum

TV's level of intelligence
kyupol at 6:32PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
Does that bother you in any way?

Why is TV so dumb? No wonder I stopped watching it. Except for the news, discovery channel, history channel, and the occasional UFC.

Do you think TV is dumb?

Do you think there is a media conspiracy to dumb down the population?

Do you think TV insults your level of intelligence?

Discuss. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
ozoneocean at 7:32PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
It's always been fairly stupid, because it's a form of mass media; it has to appeal to an extremely broad audience, so to be as inclusive as possible and appeal to the widest array of tastes, most programming is generally fairly bland and not too intelligent.

There are a lot of exceptions of course, but not enough for me to go back to watching it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
fern at 8:44PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
Well I just think it's funny when someone says they don't watch tv, but then you ask them what do they watch and they reply, YouTube.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
ozoneocean at 8:52PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
I don't even watch that, unless people post some vids here or I want to find something silly. But even so, it's quite different sice the user has far, far more choice. ;)

And it's not so much “mass” media in the way TV is,it can be one to one as well.

Terminal at 11:08PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
Eh, TV is fine with me. Doesn't really matter since the only channel my TV gets is some terrestrial Korean channel. Online shows are pretty bad, though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:13PM
DAJB at 2:19AM, March 6, 2008
(online)
I think we're living in a very strange time as far as TV is concerned. TV has always broadcast both ridiculously stupid programmes and very intelligent programmes.

At the moment, both elements seem to have reached new highs (and, I guess, lows!) Whilst it's true that, at the “dumb” end of the spectrum, we have a glut of mindless reality shows, we've also got shows like BSG which is possibly one of the most sophisticated pieces of drama ever to grace the box.

I guess we have to remember that, without the money made by the dross, there'd be no-one to fund the gems.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
lastcall at 3:50AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
I haven't had cable in over a year, and haven't missed it one bit. If I want to watch a particular show, like Lost or Battlestar Galactica, I catch them on iTunes, all commercial-free. It's very convenient.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Custard Trout at 6:36AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
Because the people it's trying to appeal to are dumb?

Really though, it depends on what you're watching. A lot of people will tell you they don't watch TV, except that show, that show's okay, this show is pretty cool too, and the other show, I always watch that.

Television only seems dumb in general, just like everything else does.

kyupol

Why do you have to drag conspiracy into every post you make? Even when you are just kidding about it, it's still always there.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
kyupol at 7:29AM, March 6, 2008
(online)
Why do you have to drag conspiracy into every post you make? Even when you are just kidding about it, it's still always there.

It's always been fairly stupid, because it's a form of mass media; it has to appeal to an extremely broad audience

I am 60% sure that there is a conspiracy to dumb down the masses.

Think about it. Who benefits from a dumbed down population? Dumb people are easily manipulated and controlled.

But then again, if the population is too dumb, it can lead to a downward spiral.
NOW UPDATING!!!
Custard Trout at 7:52AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
Think about it. Who benefits from a dumbed down population? Dumb people are easily manipulated and controlled.

You weren't kidding. Fucking hell.

WHY? Why do the evil Government want to dumb down the population so they're easier to control? What the hell do they have to gain from being able to easily manipulate the population? Don't say power, or greed, because that's just stupid. Politicians are not Captain Planet villains.
kingofsnake at 9:44AM, March 6, 2008
(online)
Custard is right. TV isn't dumb. In fact theres really been more smart television in the last three years than there was in the eighties and nineties combined. With comedies like The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report and The Office, and dramas like the Sopranos, The West Wing and(although i hate it, admittedly) Lost. A larger portion of television programming is quality made, quality driven and not at all dumbed down. Sure, there are still plenty examples of dumb tv, according to jim, remakes of the tv from the eighties and nineties that remind us of just how dumb tv used to be, and in the wake of the writers strike an increasing number of reality shows and gameshows, but all these shows serve as starking contrast to the quality television shows that are on tv now-a-days.

If you think TV is dumb, you're watching the wrong TV.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Steely Gaze at 10:16AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
To me, dumb is only in the mind. If you find something stupid and repulsive, why should others feel the same way? That said, I do find a lot of television dumb, but that's a personal opinion. I haven't loved (truly loved) a television show since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The funny thing is, though Kindofsnake used Lost as an example of smart TV, I don't see it that way. I find Lost to be one of the silliest, and yes, dumbest, shows on the air right now.

But that's my opinion, and other people feel differently. So why should any of us just classify something as ‘dumb’ when what we're actually saying is: ‘Boy, I dislike this show’?

Me? I actually enjoy some of the ‘dumber’ shows out there. (Not reality shows, but gameshows and, yes, According to Jim). I enjoy these shows because they allow me to escape into something I don't have to think about.

It's a form of relaxation. And if we're entertained, isn't that alright, even if it's a dumb form of entertainment?

Having said that, I do feel that there needs to be more variety on TV right now. There are too many similar shows on right now.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
lastcall at 10:37AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
Dumb is a dumb word. I wonder who invented it?

While searching for this answer, I found an actual entry for kyupol's dumbing down conspiracy theory.
Frostflowers at 12:17PM, March 6, 2008
(online)
kyupol
Does that bother you in any way?

Why is TV so dumb? No wonder I stopped watching it. Except for the news, discovery channel, history channel, and the occasional UFC.

Do you think TV is dumb?

Do you think TV insults your level of intelligence?

Discuss. :)
You know, I never feel truly at home at a forum until I've found the resident conspiracy nut. :)

TV is frequently “dumb” because it has to appeal to the lowest common denominator to be able to sell as much as possible (commercial air-time, in the case of TV). TV is, except for a few state-funded channels in some countries, a business. Anyone who's in it is in it at least in part to make money. *shrugs* There are “intelligent” shows, but they aren't aired on the so-called prime time.

I could go on a much longer rant about why intelligent/interesing shows are only aired close to midnight where I live, but I shan't waste posting-space any more.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
kyupol at 6:12PM, March 6, 2008
(online)
You know, I never feel truly at home at a forum until I've found the resident conspiracy nut.

I understand that there is a big sign that says “IDIOT CONSPIRACY NUT” on me. Part of the stigma.

However… I dont care.

I understand the ridicule that comes with it. I've experienced far worse ridicule and rejection in the past and being dissed on the internet means nothing.

NOW UPDATING!!!
Custard Trout at 7:33PM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
lastcall
Dumb is a dumb word. I wonder who invented it?

While searching for this answer, I found an actual entry for kyupol's dumbing down conspiracy theory.

You can find a wikipedia entry on anything. There's bound to be one that proclaims with pride the health benefits of chewing arsenic.

Anyway, I know who invented the word ‘dumb’. It was the sixth president of the United States, he is (yes, ‘is’, he is very much alive and plotting today) creating new words every few years, and tricking us into using them. Eventually, the language we use will become exactly the same as that used by BY GIANT SPACE UNICORNS FROM SPACE, they will then come to Earth and enslave us all, without having to train us or fear rebellion since we'll all have been brainwashed by Dumb TV and Dumb dumbs.

It's very real threat people. Realer than evil lizards who eat hate and kick orphaned puppies.
lastcall at 4:29AM, March 7, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
BY GIANT SPACE UNICORNS FROM SPACE

You mean….THESE!?!?

(I personally like this one:)

lefarce at 11:54AM, March 9, 2008
(online)
There are still some good shows out there. Programs like House MD, Heroes, Chuck, Futurama and the like give me hope, and are still entertaining. However, I find that if you avoid channels like VH1, or any 24 hour news network, TV becomes much easier to swallow.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
SarahN at 12:02PM, March 9, 2008
(online)
I hate nearly everything on tv, lately I feel like an old bag that says “back in MY day, tv had good shows!”

I certainly never thought that one day The Simpsons would be one the list of shows NOT to watch. Unless they're old reruns…but most of the time lately they've been NEW reruns. Which are pretty damn horrible.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
ccs1989 at 1:03PM, March 9, 2008
(online)
Avatar, most things on HBO and Showtime, The Daily Show, Scrubs, The Office, Heroes, Lost, Seinfeld, Monk. All of these are good shows that aren't stupid, aside from the occasional bad episode. Reality TV shouldn't exist though. It's creepy.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Daxy at 5:54PM, March 9, 2008
(online)
Since I haven't been able to watch much t.v. I've noticed as well that alot of the shows aren't so great. I still love cartoons because they're all in good fun ^^" but some of the reality shows and comedy plot lines are just horrid >_<

I do love some shows though. =] Either way, I can do without…it scares me when I see some of my friends who practically live off t.v. @_@
*edits*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
ccs1989 at 6:27PM, March 9, 2008
(online)
Forgot about 30 Rock. That's also a good show. And Dexter, the show about the serial killer, is coming to network TV soon. (From my posts you'd think that all I do is watch TV, but in actual fact I've only seen small amounts of all the shows I've listed except for Avatar and Scrubs).
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
ozoneocean at 9:54PM, March 11, 2008
(online)
kingofsnake
In fact theres really been more smart television in the last three years than there was in the eighties and nineties combined.
I'm going to have to disagree strongly with this.

While some of your comedies have gotten slightly smarter they're only doing that to make up for the shit in other areas. And slightly smart satirical comedy like the Daily Show is NO substitute for genuine intelectual journalistic TV programs that cast an intelligent, critical eye on politics… That's just an example- things have changed so much that stuff like the daily show (while excellent), are the BEST things you have in that regard, and that is pretty damn weak.

John Stewart made that point himself lol!

patrickdevine at 11:03PM, March 11, 2008
(online)
I don't watch all that much TV anymore so I could be wrong but I watched some movies and TV shows from the 1950's that seemed pretty dumbed down… actually a lot worse than anything that's on now. So maybe TV's gotten… Smarter? More of an inane observation than anything else. After all it's the decade that was stupid enough for Ten Little Indians yet smart enough for Vertigo.
I'm not going to dispute that TV's not stupid, because it is mostly. Personally I prefer documentaries and science-y shows (Nova's my favorite!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ozoneocean at 11:45PM, March 11, 2008
(online)
TV is much the same on balance… Taken as a whole.
You might have some mature, smart TV dramas and documentaries here, but they'll be cancelled out by some extra talk shows, reality TV and some soaps. lol!

And even the shows themselves balance out: Mythbusts has great stuff, it's entertaining, intelligent, the guys are interesting and smart. But the format works against a lot of those good aspects; the conclusions of their flashy, uncontrolled, fun and fantastic experiments are given undue weight, the results seen as falsely definitive. They couldn't be; the budget, time allowed and manpower available for research, and the time allowed to perform the actual experiments is very limited and will be biased towards what looks the best on TV anyway.

-So what you think is a good fun science show is actually less sciencey and informative than you'd think it would be- even given that you already accept that it's an entertaining TV show.

Ziffy88 at 5:25PM, March 12, 2008
(offline)
There's no need to make people stupid they're already are.

Between stupid politics, reality tv, Meet the Spartans getting 18 million dollars. People are already doing it themselves.

Also I think people are confusing smart shows with shows they liked.

I like Lost, it's a good show. But I never thought it was intelligent.

Heroes is a bunch of ideas from comic books put together.

BSG is pretty smart by doing what makes sci-fi works best relating their world to ours.

Mythbusters is stupid fun with some science content(it's fun working out some physics question yourself.
Bill Nye hell Beakman's world was smarter.

History Channel has a bunch of WW2 docu. I have no idea why, when the world is much older than that.

Discovery focuses on survival stories or people blowing shit up. I mean what is this Reader's Digest for Metal fans.

yeah we have some issues. Sometimes I wonder if Idiocracy is a documentary of California
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Eunice P at 6:05PM, March 12, 2008
(offline)
What's worse than dumbing down the audience is broadcasting shows that would make you retarded like Spongebob, Dumb and Dumber, etc. :D

*jumps around like a person with mental issues* WEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEE!!!!!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:52PM, March 14, 2008
(offline)
Spongebon's not that bad. I mean, there's adults who watch and like Spongebob. And not just ones with kids.

…Wait, actually there could be some kind of link there…
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
rabidmochi at 3:36AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
TV is an utter waste of time, and most of the stuff that goes on there is just BS. Especially recently, my past-time favorite stations; Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, etc are all starting to become worse.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved