Random Discussion

Twilight causes insanity?
SarahN at 3:16PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
I found this link through someone's Devart journal, some stories here sound made up to me, but otherwise…..yeeeeeeesh. huh!?

It contains many stories, so sorry if it seems like I'm posting only a link and nothing else. There's too much to copy and paste. ^^;

http://twilightsucks.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=fangirls&action=display&thread=5175
EDIT - Okaaayyy, copy and paste the link to get it to work. For some reason linking directly leads to nowhere. =/

Who would've known a supposed romantic movie/book about animal-blood-drinking vampires that sparkle would cause such psychotic, violent behavior? O_o

Sure, some of those anti-Twilight people may have been asking for an argument by saying Twilight sucks to fangirls/boys of the series, but nothing I've read that should lead to a physical attack. And there are others who posted there who actually like the series well enough or are just indifferent about it that were supposedly attacked for saying something that was anything but worship.

People need to chill…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Aurora Moon at 5:24PM, March 7, 2009
(offline)
wow, that's weird. lol

To be quite honest, I completely hate the series. you basically got this shallow teenybopper girl named Bella who apparently thinks that “all nerds and geeks are totally lame”…
and then you got this “mysterious”, expressionless vampire boy who likes to follow teenage girls around (mostly bella) and watch them sleep. Why hallo thar stalker. :p

gee, I guess this means I'll have to be on guard for any rabid twilight fans coming my way.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
BffSatan at 5:26PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Some of them probably brought it on themselves a little, the ones who openly rant about it infront of a fan are just asking for it. The ones that seemed unprovoked kind of shock me, I mean who beats up a person because they say a book is average? Thoos Twilight fans should chill out.

We have a girl like this at our school, only it's not Twilight, it's Harry Potter. I have a very Christian friend whos parents didn't let him read it, when this girl found out she did the wierdest thing ever. She practically gave him a speach about how his life was empty and worthless and she felt so sorry for him.

Also I love this parody, http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/473402
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
HippieVan at 6:20PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
BffSatan
the ones who openly rant about it infront of a fan are just asking for it.

Um…no. Someone insulting your favourite book does not even come close to justifying violence. People should be able to express their opinions on different kinds of entertainment without having to fear for their personal safety.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
lothar at 7:26PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
first harry potter and now this crap , i think i prefer mass illiteracy to this trend
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
BffSatan at 7:42PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
BffSatan

Um…no. Someone insulting your favourite book does not even come close to justifying violence. People should be able to express their opinions on different kinds of entertainment without having to fear for their personal safety.

I'm not saying violence is justified, I'm saying your an idiot if you think it's a good idea to walk into a hunting ground dressed as a dear.

Someone
I remember becoming pissed off, because my younger sister is a fan and she wouldn't shut up about it to her friends on the phone, so I unreasonably snapped.

I started ranting. Ranting about how sexist the book was, how character development was so shallow I hit myself in the head with a hammer and of course, how vampires DO NOT sparkle.

And at the time this girl was playing with ninja stars.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
ozoneocean at 8:36PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
How do we know that whole thing isn't one massive troll project? lol!

The accounts sound believable, but they could still be all invented. :)
If they're real though, it means Twilight fans are bigger dorks than die-hard treckies or crazed Lord of rings fans. o_O

Anyway, I loved this sig:

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
LoveandGuns at 11:55PM, March 7, 2009
(offline)
Well, I'm guessing most of these violent acts are done by young teenagers. With any hormone-raging teen you're bound to find those who think violence = Right thing to do when someone insults the one thing they dearly care about. For the ones who are 25+ and know better than to act with physical violence must have serious mental issues that probably require therapy of some sort.

It isn't right, people should be able to express their thoughts and opinions, but when dealing with Middle/High School students you're better off keeping any ‘negative’ thoughts about their treasured possession to yourself, unfortunately. <— Also be careful around crazies over a certain age. :D_b

K.A.L.A-dan! Ill Girl *coughs*
The Official Mother/Therapist of KALA-dan!

http://loveandguns90.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Skullbie at 7:45AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Reading through these, i'm pretty sure 80%+ is made up bullshit. Even sadder is the saps in the replies buying into it, i mean really;
Someone
I was having fun imitating SMeyer's style and writing “The Amazing Stalker Heroes!!!” full of Mary Sues when I realised that there was this redhead who was looking past my shoulder at what I'm writing when he hissed “Crazy Bitch” through his teeth. Then he suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me along, causing me to drop my laptop and my bag on the ground. Then he slammed me against the wall, then used one hand to press my chest (what the heck.) and said “You're just jealous of Bella because she has bigger boobs than you, bitch.” I was so pissed I kicked him square in his manbits and left him howling like a gay idiot back there. Then I retreived my laptop that was fortunately still there and went up on the next bus before he could follow.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
ozoneocean at 8:05AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
Reading through these, i'm pretty sure 80%+ is made up bullshit. Even sadder is the saps in the replies buying into it, i mean really;
Someone
“You're just jealous of Bella because she has bigger boobs than you, bitch.”
OMG…

ugghhh… >.<

Yeah, I read that one too. Plus the one where a guy says a girl launched an emergency flare at someone and he got burned etc. But when people ask him about photos of the injuries etc he tells them the guy won't let him take pics, and then later on he asks people not to spread it around beyond the forum.
Why? ;)

And the one where the girl in chemistry class went nuts and threw acid in a guy's face blinding him and badly burning him, then stabbed him all over with a compass!

Hmmm, I remember school acid. You could drink that stuff. It'd make you ill, sure, but you'd be ok.

Cthulhu at 10:04AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Hmmm, I remember school acid. You could drink that stuff. It'd make you ill, sure, but you'd be ok.
Maybe she lives in some backwards country. Y'know, like Canada.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Koshou at 10:36AM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
Ah, Twilight.
Proving that you don't have to actually be good at writing to be famous since… whenever this shit was released. Ugh.

Most of the “Fangirl Attack” stories are complete BS, but Twitards are still pretty obnoxious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
lba at 11:29AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Yeah, but you know they're a special brand of obnoxious.

Maybe I shouldn't find them funny, but they're so poorly written that I can't help it. Is everything that's written about this book poorly put together?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Freegurt at 12:32PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Ugh. Why is it that the mediocre books with bad writing and little originality get so popular? I mean really, first HP and now Twilight. I've read so many books that are ten fold better than any of those and nobody knows of them. :\

I'm just glad none of my friends are psychopaths about the book. Granted, they're still fangirls, but not to the point of beating me with objects found around the room because I said I didn't like it.

Is mediocrity just accepted because each generation is getting stupider and stupider? I think so…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Product Placement at 1:44PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Freegurt
Is mediocrity just accepted because each generation is getting stupider and stupider? I think so…

Sadly, it's just us getting older. I mean, come on. We thought Thundercats, He-man and Teenage mutant ninja turtles to be awesome.

Heh… sparkling vampires…

On another note. The whole “ is corrupting our youth” bit has been going on for a long, long time. What these people who make these accusations fail to understand is that in most cases the people who go insane after reading/watching/playing something and imitating what they experienced there were probably unstable to begin with. If Twilight hadn't pushed them over then it probably would have been something else.

If statistics show that a high percentage of people who play violent video games tend to be violent themselves, which theory would you consider to be more true? That the games are making them violent or that violent people seek these games out?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
HippieVan at 1:51PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
I agree with Product Placement. It's kind of silly that people love Twilight so much, as it's not that good, but I seriously doubt it could make anyone go insane.

Also, people always freak out about anything that is popular with teenagers…comic books, video games, rock n' roll music, and so on. Heck, if teens all decided that it was cool to wear a teal bandana around their wrists adults would probably try to ban teal bandanas.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
LoveandGuns at 4:31PM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
Hippie Van
Also, people always freak out about anything that is popular with teenagers…comic books, video games, rock n' roll music, and so on. Heck, if teens all decided that it was cool to wear a teal bandana around their wrists adults would probably try to ban teal bandanas.

Yes, yes they would.

Remember when parents were upset about Pokemon back in the 90s? It was hilarious to watch on the news about how they thought it was possessing children like the devil.
K.A.L.A-dan! Ill Girl *coughs*
The Official Mother/Therapist of KALA-dan!

http://loveandguns90.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Freegurt at 5:38PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
LoveandGuns
Remember when parents were upset about Pokemon back in the 90s? It was hilarious to watch on the news about how they thought it was possessing children like the devil.

Pfft, I remember that. Pokemon cards were banned at my Elementary school. Just the sight of those things would make the teachers go crazy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
seventy2 at 7:24PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
i dont remember that….

i know my mom freaked out when i brought home “magic the gathering”
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
humorman at 7:35PM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
I think the main reason why so many people hate Twilight is because a lot of people never watched the movie. People today are so hateful to things they don't understand.

It's like black and white. People like white because it is the force of good, but people hate black because it is bad. People don't realize black can also be good sometimes.

I should know, I'm a vampire.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
ozoneocean at 9:50PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
humorman
I should know, I'm a vampire.
So am I. I sparkle.

—————
I haven't seen the film or read the books, of course, but the funniest things I've heard so far are from the lead actors themselves; in straight interviews with major news services, both have said that the story and dialogue was utter crap and they had a hard time making it sound convincing. (I'm paraphrasing here obviously)

That was funny and refreshingly honest. -They both went on to wedge in some positve spin about the whole thing though… Something along the lines of “although it was really unconvincing, unrealistic, awkward phrasing that no one would ever say, it was good to try and act with it because it…” then some crap about suspension of belief or something. I can't remember. To be honest even reading about the actors experience wasn't very interesting.

Eunice P at 8:23PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Just started reading Twilight to see what's the fuss about. The style of writing seems somewhat High School Musical drama. Not my favorite style of writing but I suppose the writer was aiming for teen readers when she wrote this book.

Speaking of vampires, I would love to see this kind of vampire anytime:
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Aurora Moon at 12:26PM, March 11, 2009
(offline)
to be honest, I didn't mind the fact the vampires sparkled, even though I did think it was somewhat silly.

what really annoyed me about the whole series and the movie, was the fact that the author was trying to force this completely unbelievable “romance” down out throats. The guy that was supposed to be mysterious, cool, etc only came off as super creepy. and as I metitioned, Bella being this shallow flat character.

spoiler alert:

did you know that Bella And Edward actually gets married in the final book… because Edward made her marry him. (Bella wanted to be an vampire so that she wouldn't grow anymore older in appearance while she dated him. Edward would only agree to that if she became his bride). And Bella had only just turned 18 in the final book.
It wasn't because the two had known each other for years.in fact they had only actually known each other for an year and a half roughly. and in this time span, they actually spent a long time apart because Edward was afraid of hurting her. (as if though him stalking her around from a distance and watching her sleep wasn't damaging enough? even if it wasn't damaging for her, it was creepy. I cannot say that enough.)

Bella's relationship with Jacob the werewolf was slightly more believable than the so-called “romantic chemistry” between Bella and Edward, and Bella still only saw him as an friend while Jacob wanted to have an relationship with her. :p

So I guess the moral of the book is that it's good to rush into marriage just as you barely turned into a “young adult” just so that you can get to know better a 108-year-old vampire who you haven't seen much of in months. especially if the said vampire is an stalker who likes watching young girls sleep.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
humorman at 2:28PM, March 11, 2009
(offline)
Aurora Moon
did you know that Bella And Edward actually gets married in the final book… because Edward made her marry him. (Bella wanted to be an vampire so that she wouldn't grow anymore older in appearance while she dated him. Edward would only agree to that if she became his bride). And Bella had only just turned 18 in the final book.
It wasn't because the two had known each other for years.in fact they had only actually known each other for an year and a half roughly. and in this time span, they actually spent a long time apart because Edward was afraid of hurting her. (as if though him stalking her around from a distance and watching her sleep wasn't damaging enough? even if it wasn't damaging for her, it was creepy. I cannot say that enough.)

Bella's relationship with Jacob the werewolf was slightly more believable than the so-called “romantic chemistry” between Bella and Edward, and Bella still only saw him as an friend while Jacob wanted to have an relationship with her. :p

So I guess the moral of the book is that it's good to rush into marriage just as you barely turned into a “young adult” just so that you can get to know better a 108-year-old vampire who you haven't seen much of in months. especially if the said vampire is an stalker who likes watching young girls sleep.

I don't think you understand anything about the books. The end is about finding love no matter what. She became a vampire so she could be happy for the rest of her life. Edward was cool because he wore black and was a vampire. The book is about finding true love, and if you don't think that's true, then you must be a racist.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Dark Pascual at 10:33PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
I will let a more wiser man than me talk about this subject:

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Croi Dhubh at 6:31PM, May 6, 2009
(offline)
Hippie Van
BffSatan

Um…no. Someone insulting your favourite book does not even come close to justifying violence.
They knew the answer wasn't violence, they just got it wrong on purpose
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
ozoneocean at 1:03AM, May 7, 2009
(online)
Croi Dhubh
Hippie Van
BffSatan
Um…no. Someone insulting your favourite book does not even come close to justifying violence.
They knew the answer wasn't violence, they just got it wrong on purpose
If they were real people to start with… That anti-twilight forum is a pretty decent troll project.

But anyway, that's a good description of violent acts in general. Real ones. I like it :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Croi Dhubh at 9:40AM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Why thank you!

Know what the funniest thing is with me and Twilight is, though? Honestly, I didn't know much about it outside of the things I heard from in forums and an animation on Newgrounds.com. So, just to be somewhat annoying to fans, I'd bring up those points (like the fact he's a 100+ some odd year old pedophile) to make fun of the film/story to fans. Well, one female I worked with for a while (I had a second, but part part time gig going)LOVED the stories and was so-so on the film. I would tease her about it and instead of getting mad, she actually explained a lot of things about the mythos, which I listened to, and I told her, “That actually sounds pretty cool, at least for the book. I'm still going to pretend and tease people, though.” She laughed and said it was fine.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
bravo1102 at 5:01PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
It's just a copy of the Anti-shurtugal forum about Twilight. (Anti-shurtugal is the anti-fan Eragon forum along with Dogeared)

Two bad fantasy books for and by teenaged twits spawned similar anti-fan forums. Big deal. Not the utter brilliance of Hackslayer (and Calfbreaker and Stakey and the rest of the gang) but you can't have everything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 2:34PM, May 13, 2009
(offline)
Cthulhu
Maybe she lives in some backwards country. Y'know, like Canada.
It's Adanac, silly.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved