Media Megaforum

Two and a Half Men
Armagedon at 12:14AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
Ok… so Charlie Sheen went into a spiral in January and the show got suspended. He came back, talked crap about the creators, etc in an radio show interview, supposedly calling a bluff on them canceling the show and it ended up being canceled for the season.

He then went on to state that he is ready to go and “do movies with superstars instead of TV shows with idiots” (or something along those lines.

Now comes my questions. Given the situation above.

1)Is two and a half men REALLY worth that kind of hassle to deal with Charlie Sheen?

2)If he were to go on and do movies (which he has never really had a good one outside of like Major league and Hot shots), would you go and see them?

3)Do you think anyone, regardless of who it is, should be able to publically chastise another person/creation or whatever and be able to maintain a career im the same field? (and I mean derogatory slams and such that devalue the work and effort of the people being attacked)

Being someone who never really got into the show, I'm kinda curious. I've found charlie sheen entertaining, but not someone that would make me go “oh boy the next charlie sheen flick is coming gotta go see that.” But I wanted to hear other peoples take on this.

So ya… just figured id ask.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
ozoneocean at 2:42AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
I dunno.
I always found him fairly entertaining and charismatic in films- Him, brother Emilio Estevez, Dad Martin. Don't know about other relations though… I remember there was another brother in a film with Martin once, he was lame..

From what I've seen of 2 and a half men- it's lame. The whole premise seems to be that Charlie's character is based on himself and the other people are just doing safe, normal, ordinary, and boring TV sitcom jokes around him.

What probably drove the outburst was that people were complaining about his behaviour in his private life… But if it wasn't for that behaviour then there would be no silly sitcom.
It's the price they pay for identifying a project so strongly with a celebrity actor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Air Raid Robertson at 5:48AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
Charlie Sheen has done some fantastic movies. Of course, most of these movies came out 15-25 years ago. His career in film was derailed by his horrible personal habits. This show seems to have suffered the same fate.

I can't say that I like Two and a Half Men either. It just seems like a barrage of safe, predictable sex jokes piled on top of each other until they hit 22 minutes. Not every TV show has to reinvent the wheel in order to be good, but they certainly have to take more risks than what Two and a Half Men does.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
patrickdevine at 5:58AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
Armagedon
2)If he were to go on and do movies (which he has never really had a good one outside of like Major league and Hot shots), would you go and see them?
How 'bout Platoon?

ozoneocean
From what I've seen of 2 and a half men- it's lame. The whole premise seems to be that Charlie's character is based on himself and the other people are just doing safe, normal, ordinary, and boring TV sitcom jokes around him.
Actually, when you describe it like that it sounds awesome.
It's been a long time since I saw that show, I didn't really like it, I just found it unremarkable. The main thing I remember about it is being annoyed at Charlie Sheen not being able to pronounce “Gilgamesh.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 7:03AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(offline)
I don't like the show. Not that funny to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Hawk at 11:46AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
Armagedon
1)Is two and a half men REALLY worth that kind of hassle to deal with Charlie Sheen?

No. Two and a Half Men is awful.

Armagedon

No. There are a precious few people who would convince me to go see a movie based on their reputation alone, and Charlie Sheen hasn't even come close to that status for me.

Armagedon
3)Do you think anyone, regardless of who it is, should be able to publically chastise another person/creation or whatever and be able to maintain a career im the same field? (and I mean derogatory slams and such that devalue the work and effort of the people being attacked)

I think he should be able to say whatever he wants, and then face the consequences after burning his bridges. If he wants to belittle the people who employed him and put up with his nonsense, he shouldn't be shocked when nobody wants to work with him anymore.

And I'd be shocked if many people actually did want to give him roles anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Armagedon at 3:40PM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
I completely spaced that he was in Platoon and Wall Street. I guess that comes when most of his recent film affair has boasted ridiculous comedies lol.

I think i typed the third question wrong… I meant in the way you interpreted it hawk. I completely agree that he has that right to say whatever he wants. And I think the more appropriate wording of the question would be is “would you hire him for something, with what happened.”
machinehead at 7:06PM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
I feel more sorry for the “half man” Angus T. Jones. He's no longer a cute kid and will probably suffer the same fate as Haley Joel Osment or Macaulay Culkin. I just hope he saved his money.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Hawk at 3:56PM, Feb. 27, 2011
(online)
Also, don't forget that Charlie Sheen made out with Ferris Bueller's sister.

Armagedon
I think i typed the third question wrong… I meant in the way you interpreted it hawk. I completely agree that he has that right to say whatever he wants. And I think the more appropriate wording of the question would be is “would you hire him for something, with what happened.”

To answer the question in that fashion, no, I wouldn't hire him. Casting an unstable person can wreck your movie or TV show. Why take a risk?

I suppose it's possible for him to surprise you. I know that many people found Tom Cruise's involvement in Tropic Thunder as a pleasant surprise, just as we had all started to think he had gone mad or something. But he wasn't necessarily a wreck, just an actor who people were beginning to lose respect for.
ozoneocean at 4:58AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
machinehead
I feel more sorry for the “half man” Angus T. Jones. He's no longer a cute kid and will probably suffer the same fate as Haley Joel Osment or Macaulay Culkin. I just hope he saved his money.
I think it's generally better for people now if they're clever.
But really, he got a great chance there. A lotta actors would kill for half that much exposure and a regular high profile. high paying spot like that. Don't feel sorry for him at all!
Hawk
To answer the question in that fashion, no, I wouldn't hire him. Casting an unstable person can wreck your movie or TV show. Why take a risk?
It depends on the project though. The show under discussion for example wouldn't have existed without him, as it was solely based on his real life celeb persona. They took the risk when they started it and it paid off for them. Now it's gone sour. Boo hoo.

Its like building a hotel next to a volcano so tourists will flock to stay there and enjoy the amazing view, then acting all surprised and upset when your cash-cow gets covered in lava.

Hawk at 8:51AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Its like building a hotel next to a volcano so tourists will flock to stay there and enjoy the amazing view, then acting all surprised and upset when your cash-cow gets covered in lava.

I'm not sure how that refutes what I said. I would definitely liken hiring Charlie Sheen to building a hotel next to an active volcano.
ozoneocean at 10:27AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
Hawk
ozoneocean
I'm not sure how that refutes what I said. I would definitely liken hiring Charlie Sheen to building a hotel next to an active volcano.
LOL!

That's not what I meant at all :)

This idea was that for the show in question, Sheen's behavior that everyone is so disapproving of was actually the only reason anyone ever watched the show (the premise it was created around, the reason Sheen was in it, and a central pillar of sitcom theme), and so the entire media circus about this has multiple levels of hypocrisy.

It's as if people thought “oh, he's just a lovable character and it's all make-believe”…

As for hiring him for another project- you definitely would if you were going for that same sort of thing again: making a cheap sitcom out of a celeb's real life reputation and basing a comedy situation around that.

———–
With the “building next to the volcano” analogy , for me the important part was the greedy, hypocritical, hotel builders. Maybe a better analogy would've been someone who builds a hotel right next to the ocean for the tourists and then complains when their foundations become eroded and it falls into the sea?
-The sea like the volcano is just acting in accordance with its own nature. The real problem is that those seeking to exploit it aren't handling it correctly.

lefarce at 11:29PM, March 1, 2011
(online)
What I think is they should have all drugs legal, man. Because you see, it's like, if you did then you wouldn't lose shows like Two and a Half Men. You wouldn't lose genius. They're messing with a warlock. I'm of a different constitution, defeat is not an option.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
ozoneocean at 4:11AM, March 2, 2011
(online)
lefarce
What I think is they should have all drugs legal, man. Because you see, it's like, if you did then you wouldn't lose shows like Two and a Half Men. You wouldn't lose genius. They're messing with a warlock. I'm of a different constitution, defeat is not an option.
…larious.

Season to troll again? Problems at home? :)

lefarce at 11:15AM, March 2, 2011
(online)
Uh let me tell you a little bit about my home life: it's bitchin'. Sorry I guess that um, I'm not livin' like the rest of you, in the closet, man. I can't help it, I'm out there, livin' and winning, every moment of the day. There's my life. Deal with it. Oh, wait, can't process it? LOSERS.

ayesinback at 4:11PM, March 2, 2011
(online)
lefarce
Uh let me tell you a little bit about my home life: it's bitchin'. Sorry I guess that um, I'm not livin' like the rest of you, in the closet, man. I can't help it, I'm out there, livin' and winning, every moment of the day. There's my life. Deal with it. Oh, wait, can't process it? LOSERS.

LOL Best Charlie Sheen impression . . . this month?

Charlie Sheen is a bore and his ex-show is a bore. Good riddance. Get him off the air so we can hear more about Lindsey Logan, or — whatever happened to Paris Hilton? Ya know, important stuff.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
lefarce at 4:53PM, March 2, 2011
(online)
ayesinback
Charlie Sheen is a bore and his ex-show is a bore. Good riddance. Get him off the air so we can hear more about Lindsey Logan, or — whatever happened to Paris Hilton? Ya know, important stuff.

Look, I don't have to prove anything to you, I'm busy climbing a mountain called defamation. You think you can keep up with me? Idiot. I'm magic, I cast spells that turn garbage into gold, sometimes while I sleep, effortlessly. Come on bro, I won best picture at 20.

blindsk at 9:32PM, March 3, 2011
(online)
This show can't be canceled! I was enjoying all of the satire based off of it way too much! There's shit and then there's stuff that makes fun of shit, and that's the kind of shit I like.

Having said that, seeing lefarce replace him as a parody of his roles would be something worth watching.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
ozoneocean at 11:35PM, March 3, 2011
(online)
blindsk
Having said that, seeing lefarce replace him as a parody of his roles would be something worth watching.
Not sort of pointless?
That'd be like replacing Ozzie Ozbourne with an impersonator: At this stage Sheen is a parody.

lefarce at 12:14AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
At this stage Sheen is a parody.

What are you doing that's so special, while I'm flying around the world with smokin' hotties and being gnarly, and uh, touching lives. You're an earthworm who I could destroy with a thought. BANG. Like that. I'm not the parody, you're the parody, bro. Sorry my life is too bitchin' for you to comprehend.

ozoneocean at 12:31AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
That's true.

-I wish Emilio and Martin were here too :(

mlai at 12:48AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
You gotta admit… Charlie is richer than you/us/me, more famous than you/us/me, gets laid with hotties way more than you/us/me, and… even if no one ever hires him again he's STILL richer than you/us/me.

When we ridicule a person like that, don't we come off feeling somewhat stupid?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
ozoneocean at 1:14AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
mlai
When we ridicule a person like that, don't we come off feeling somewhat stupid?
What? Why?

Does that mean you only feel smart and good about yourself when you ridicule someone poor and unfortunate? :)

blindsk at 2:52AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Not sort of pointless?
That'd be like replacing Ozzie Ozbourne with an impersonator: At this stage Sheen is a parody.

True, but at least I can sleep soundly knowing that it is a parody and not a facsimile of someone's actual life!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
ayesinback at 5:35AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
I'm actually beginning to follow the story more than before because there's two little boys involved, and I've always felt bad for the kids of these assholes.

One of Steven Wright's one-liners comes to mind: “You can't have everything.
Where would you put it?”
These rich, self-centered, mentally-imbalanced individuals who seemingly have everything — where do you put their kids?

And do I feel bad for denigrating an asshole because he's a rich asshole? yesss, sure — simply awful. Who am I to have and express an opinion about someone who's richer than me?
under new management
Product Placement at 9:20AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
I welcome you to try the Charlie Sheen v Muammar Gaddafi version of: Whose line is it anyway?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ayesinback at 10:22AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
I welcome you to try the Charlie Sheen v Muammar Gaddafi version of: Whose line is it anyway?
HaHa
I got a 6 out of 10 (“Fair enough. One man's rave is another man's … very similar rave”)
under new management
mlai at 7:04PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
No you guys miss my point. It's not that you can't point out he's an asshole. It's… when you make fun of someone better off than you, he can just look at you and give you a smirk that simply mean "Are you stupid? Am I supposed to take you seriously?"

Actually, he wouldn't even notice you because he's too busy doing things that you only dream about.

Clarification: Regarding my view on media celebrities in general (actors, musicians, sports stars)… I think they should only be as rich and as famous as the local bar singer. These people are just entertainers, that's all. They create nothing. They're only riding the high wave of these media-centric times.

HOWEVER, at least their profits are from voluntary contributions from those who derive entertainment from them. So it's fair; they're not liars and thieves. Unlike politicians and corporate fat cats.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Armagedon at 10:59PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
wow… I miss out on a few days and the topic explodes (thanks in part to Lefarce's becoming Lesheen lol)

According to the network, the reasoning for the cancellation (which is currently on for the rest of this season) is not because of the drugs and stuff, but because he badmouthed the creator, which given the creators record or success… you don't do.

mlai, I disagree with you in part. You are correct that some media celebrities take it overboard and do what sheen is doing. However, a lot of them are not like that. It's a matter of wading through that 5% crazy to find them, but they are there.

Also, any good media person can contribute to the project they are working on. Actors like Shawn Penn, Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Depp, and Brad Pitt all contribute to the end result of the projects they work on.

The styles in which they play their roles are all dependent on how they interpret them. And their work affects whether or not you believe them to be that character.

Same can be said for most musicians and sports stars. They work damn hard to get to where they are.

In the case of musicians, many are screwed out of the gate because of the amount of money they end up owing record labels. For as many as you see “living it big” you see 10x as many in debt because their stuff didn't sell.

The media celebrities you are referring too are really just a small percentage of the actual community.

That or I misread your post and clarification lol.

ozoneocean at 11:02PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
mlai
No you guys miss my point. It's not that you can't point out he's an asshole. It's… when you make fun of someone better off than you, he can just look at you and give you a smirk that simply mean "Are you stupid? Am I supposed to take you seriously?"
So again,; is it only making fun of poor unfortunate people that has any point to you?

Anyway, I think you're totally wrong there. Everyone cares about what others think of them, unless they're mentally incapacitated in some way. From the poorest wretch to to wealthiest billionaire, it doesn't matter who, even murderous military dictators who can have anyone tortured to death on a whim famously care about the opinion of the common man.
Indeed, the famous are usually much more concerned than anyone else because they are fully aware that their image is public and subject to the approbation of the masses.

Such over-care is probably the reason why people such as Charlie Sheen devolve into these sorts of states. ;)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved