Media Megaforum

Two and a Half Men
ayesinback at 7:28AM, March 5, 2011
(online)
someone
No you guys miss my point. It's not that you can't point out he's an asshole. It's… when you make fun of someone better off than you, he can just look at you and give you a smirk that simply mean "Are you stupid? Am I supposed to take you seriously?"
Maybe you miss my point. I don't think someone like Sheen is better off than me.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
patrickdevine at 10:37PM, March 5, 2011
(online)
someone
No you guys miss my point. It's not that you can't point out he's an asshole. It's… when you make fun of someone better off than you, he can just look at you and give you a smirk that simply mean "Are you stupid? Am I supposed to take you seriously?"

Y'know I was skeptical of this idea at first. I mean at this point pretty much everyone is making fun of Charlie Sheen and whatnot and when everyone thinks you're this tremendous dickweed usually that effects you. Unless you're Charlie Sheen of course, that guy has an easier time accepting that everyone else is an idiot or otherwise not worth taking seriously. Say what ya will about him but I gotta admit, that's a clever defense mechanism!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ozoneocean at 11:12PM, March 5, 2011
(online)
patrickdevine
Y'know I was skeptical of this idea at first. I mean at this point pretty much everyone is making fun of Charlie Sheen and whatnot and when everyone thinks you're this tremendous dickweed usually that effects you. Unless you're Charlie Sheen of course, that guy has an easier time accepting that everyone else is an idiot or otherwise not worth taking seriously. Say what ya will about him but I gotta admit, that's a clever defense mechanism!
Unfortunately, his situation speaks for itself:
The only reason he behaves the way he does currently is because public opinion does matter to him and has affected him over his life.

Think about it- people who truly don't care what you think aren't going to bother wasting time on a lengthy public defence and rebuttal, are they? ;)

I's not even a defence mechanism, it's just part of a public collapse… And why am I even speding time writing about some public celeb scandal created by the celeb obsessed idiot press?
Christ! I am a moron. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
patrickdevine at 10:52AM, March 6, 2011
(online)
Well if you're a moron then I must be too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
mlai at 9:04PM, March 6, 2011
(online)
Yeah I guess if you look at it from his viewpoint, he does care what the public thinks of him. Celebrities of his sort tend to have inflated egos and at the same time cares that other ppl agree with his view of himself.

But to address a few points…

(1) He is better off than you/me/us. Maybe not his emotional life, but that aspect is always up to debate: “Are you happy?” So we look at the part of his life that can be assessed in numbers… and those numbers are 1000x bigger than yours/mine.

And if you say “I don't care about material wealth.” Then you're being sincere only if you never ever cared that a friend/ colleague/ acquaintance has a nicer car, has a nicer renovated kitchen/ bathroom, or went on a nicer longer vacation.

I don't obsess over material things and what other have, but I can freely admit that I would like a nicer bathroom. And a sandbag. And something to hang the sandbag on in my place. Yeah, screw the bathroom I want a sandbag.

(2) And in reply to Armaggedon… Yes, I know the big actors often have input into their movies, sometimes helping the movie and sometimes hurting it. It doesn't matter. My opinion is that actors, musicians, and sports stars do not deserve their level of wealth, fame, and stature.

You act in a movie someone else wrote, someone else directed, someone else edited, someone else added effects for. You play a piece of music/ song. You play a ball game. Okay, you're good at it and people enjoy watching you. But does it mean you contribute to the world enough to live in a mansion and be treated like royalty?

My disclaimer is that at least they deserve it much more than people who use money (and lies and thieving) to make money, and whose actions cause detriment to the nation, its economy, its ecology, and its government system.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved