Media Megaforum

typical tv episodes
Locoma at 6:54PM, Dec. 28, 2006
(online)
Example:

(title: )Jury Duty episode

(description: ) The main character of a tv show is called for jury duty and the episode focus on the character's behavior in such situation.

(the last time you saw it been used: ) Was in “Monk” (the one with tony shalhoub), and I also saw it today in a rerun of “Sex and the city”.

(comment: ) I hate when they use it!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
ozoneocean at 7:37PM, Dec. 28, 2006
(online)
That's not really a good game… It seems like a good comment on the state of TV entertainment media. Maybe this should go in the entertainment section? :)

Personally I hate “trial” episodes. I HATE them! Ok I'll put in in your format, but I still think this needs moving to the entertainment section:

(title: ) Trail episode

(description: ) When one of the characters gets put on trial and has to defend themself in court; usually for some terrible crime like murder for which they have been framed or unfairly accused.

(the last time you saw it been used: ) Every 10th episode of every single incarnation of Star Treck I ever saw.

(comment: ) The writers are F**king morns who need to be deported to North Korea.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
Locoma at 8:19PM, Dec. 28, 2006
(online)
oh ok, please move it to that section
I didn't know where to post it
it doesn't have to be in my format, it was just a guide
ozoneocean at 8:57PM, Dec. 28, 2006
(online)
Ok, it's a cool idea. :)

lothar at 4:34AM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
Ernest goes to JAIL !!!!
he's sitting at his kitchen table opening the mail and is pleasantly surprised to find he has been selected for United States Jury Duty ! he emeidiatly informs Vern !
Theres a mixup at the Prison and next thing you know Ernest gets BBQed in the Electric chair , after wich , if i remember corectly he goes to Hell .
this movie inspired me to name my pet rabbit Ernest !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ccs1989 at 8:24AM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
That trial plot was also used in the first season of Justice League.

Another cliche is the alternate dimension, where the episode starts out with something really terrible happening, and then you find out it's an alternate reality, or someone has time traveled and screwed with stuff, and somehow that gets mixed up with the normal version of those characters. Sometimes these kinds of episodes are good, sometimes they're not.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
ozoneocean at 8:57AM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
Yeah, it usually involves facial hair on the “alternitive” main male character and all the rest of the alt characters being more sexually dominant than usual, for some reason…?

Trials are THE worst though. They even began AND ended Star Treck the next Generation with trials. Sad, sad, sad… I enjoyed the creative stories on that show, some were really clever and imaginative, but it seems the Star Treck franchise must have some rules about going back to the same 4 or 5 story themes over and over every few episodes.

There's the “coma” episode, where a character has some alternative life experience and learns a valuable lesson about them self in a “dream” while everyone else works to save them.

But away from Star Treck for a minute (I haven't seen it in at least 3 years anyway), what about the “family celebration” episode themes? You know, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Usually the character's elderly parents come over and announce they're getting a divorce. Some pervert/theif uncle arives and everyone hates them, a grandfather is there who can't stop farting/swearing/dribling and dies. Sisters and brothers with horrible children come over and make bastards of themselves and then the main character has some kind of “bonding” moment with their mum at the very end.

Happens is pretty much every American sitcom I've ever seen.

Crazy Dutchman at 9:39AM, Dec. 29, 2006
(offline)
EVERY comedy series (sitcomes but also cartoons) has an episode where two characters get in a fight with each other and don't want to share all the stuff any more so they're marking all the furniture as their own. The real stupid ones also contain a ‘funny’ scene where they mark a few people that just happen to be there. If not marking the stuff, than they just split the room (“This is my half!”)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
kaminari at 12:27PM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
Recap episodes/Clip shows…

Its a whole episode of footage from previous episodes with only maybe 5 minutes of new scenes to help justify the recap of the earlier eps.

I hate these things.. but it seems like mostly cartoons use them… South Park, Simpsons, and a whole slew of anime.
Anime is especially bad because they tend to have a clip show at the beginning of their new season which is usually episode 13 or 14. Its very obnoxious.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
ccs1989 at 5:17PM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
There are also episodes where characters that used to be enemies come back to fight the next big evil thing, but only because “only they can defeat the main character”. This has happened on countless shows, but most memorably on Dragon Ball Z, where it happened about a bajillion times with characters such as Piccolo, Vegeta, etc.

In fact it probably happens with most Shonen anime. Lets see, Ren in Shaman King, Gaara in Naruto, Kaiba in YGO…yep.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Locoma at 7:44PM, Jan. 3, 2007
(online)
hahaha great ones
the half room ep sounds like an old show… I've seen it a million times, but long time ago. I HATE clip show ep, it's like no episode at all. I think the one with alternative world made me remember those episodes in wich things happen twice but end in different ways. I'm not familiar with the trial episode, I mean, watching L&O doesn't count, does it?
AQua_ng at 1:14AM, Jan. 6, 2007
(online)
Oh no! I chose two dates for one prom night!

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
marine at 4:28AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(offline)
Two characters that hate each other get locked into a room together!
Example: all in the family Archie and Meathead stuck in a basement

A very special episode, that deals with a serious topic.
example: fresh prince deals with not having a real father

Holiday special where everyone grows closer, learns a lesson, etc, etc
example: old simpsons episode where bart destroys lisas table thing, runs away from home, then realizes he loves his family

Sentai/magical girl/most japanese shows/movies - the hero/heroes have this one special attack that ALWAYs will kill the bad guys in one hit, but they never use it til the end of the show.
Example: power rangers, voltron, sailor moon, etc also any sean claude van damme movie. You know he's gonna finish off the bad guy with his spin kick, but you watch it anyway.

The gay episode - they meet a gay character and learn a lesson about homophobia
example: simpsons homer phobia episode (john waters cameos) I think I saw this on friends, and pretty much the whole premise behind will & grace is like that

Action movie - guy tries to get to his girl - bad guys attack - good guy has to save the day - bad guys get his girl and put her in danger - bad guy gets killed by the good guy - optionally a bomb can be disarmed as the counter reaches zero - as many car chases as possible
example: Die Hard its THE action movie prototype

all thats from memory, seemed like I had a site before that listed all of the cliches… I'll go through my bookmarks on it
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
ozoneocean at 6:05AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
With that wealth of knowledge you should be a top TV executive man! :)

Crazy Dutchman at 7:45AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(offline)
marine
Two characters that hate each other get locked into a room together!
Example: all in the family Archie and Meathead stuck in a basement
Whahaha, that's a good one. At least 90% of all longlasting series has used that sort of episode I believe. The ending depends on the sort of series. Some will end up with the characters loving each other eventually, some where when they come out they suddenly hate each other again while before they DID realized they're kind of the same, but most end up with this bad mix of both. When they were stuck together they became friends, but after they're free they pretend like they hate each other. You'll see them looking at each other, smiling (maybe even wink), wich tells us they don't mean it for real. That's a stupid solution 'cause it ruines the episodes after that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ccs1989 at 4:19PM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
I think Clerks The Series parodied a lot of these cliches. They had one episode where Randal and Dante get locked in a freezer, and then it turns into a flashback episode, but only to episode one because the freezer episode is the second one ever made.

There's also a trial version of Clerks, with different endings because characters keep having dreams, but then the whole thing turns into a parody of anime at the end.

Ah Clerks the Series…good times, good times…

beastmaster at 10:39AM, Jan. 12, 2007
(offline)
and what do you think of the “uneasy alliance” episodes? When the ONLY way to save the world is to team up with the bad guy because if they don't work together there will be no world to take over bla, bla bla…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
ccs1989 at 2:39PM, Jan. 12, 2007
(online)
Those “uneasy alliances” happen in every single anime I've ever seen, basically. I mean, I might be able to list a few that don't, but mostly two people join together to defeat a greater evil, but then the one guy stabs the other in the back right after the big evil is defeated.

Of course this happens in real life as well. Especially between nations.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved