Media Megaforum

Underrated Cartoon Films... Thoughts?
Steampunkish at 11:31PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
Abt_Nihil
I wish there was just one movie which wasn't Japanese and which would break the mold. Something with depth and maturity; without any talking animals whatsoever, completely devoid of anything remotely cute, but not slipping into some caricature-like style either…

I could spend several pages listing off animations that fit that description, and that would just be off the top of my head. I shall however settle on saying that if you believe there to be no eastern animated films that are unique or ground-breaking, you are simply not looking beyond the very surface of eastern animation.

In any case.

As far as underrated goes, I really enjoyed 'When the Wind Blows'. It's from the 80's, and I've never heard anyone discuss it off of the internet. And I know it's not exactly underrated (I've heard it discussed), but ‘The Yellow Submarine’ was one of my favorite movies growing up. I only mention it because many of the people I run into have never heard of it (;_;)

In a similar, trippy, vein, ‘Paprika’ is good. But virtually unheard of amongst some groups.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
ozoneocean at 11:40PM, Dec. 7, 2010
(online)
Steampunkish
In a similar, trippy, vein, ‘Paprika’ is good. But virtually unheard of amongst some groups.
Yeah, it's marvellous, but Japanese :)

The Japanese really are the masters of clever, adult animation… although they did put in a semi tentacle rape scene in there. That was a little disappointing. Great movie though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
blindsk at 2:22AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
I agree. It was truly witty and funny.

And I agree as well! Loved that movie.

Another movie that I feel deserves to be in this category is The Great Mouse Detective. So yes, it's Disney and it has talking animals and all…but it pretty much passed for film noir, had an amazing soundtrack, good character development, and a great plot. I enjoy it much more than the other mouse-centric movies going around at the time. I feel like it's underrated because it's never thrown up there with some of the Disney classics, I rarely see it in their featured movie collection, and even their parks barely mentioned the characters at all. It's definitely an entertaining one to watch, and I believe it should be up there among the rest! And besides, it has so many tributes scattered throughout that movie to the actors and stories that inspired it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
itsjustaar at 2:48AM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
Hahaha, that movie ‘Great Mouse Detective’ is what inspired the comic I'm doing now (presently in the re-tooling stage with a few pages that need some cleaning up). I really dig that movie; it's one of the more faithful adaptations of the source material without completely re-arranging it to some degree. My friend and I used to comment on how Miss Kitty Mouse's dance seemed too risque for something Disney would usually churn out.

Vincent Price / Professor Ratigan for the win. Disney's take on Basil was alright, but I'm more in tune with Dr. Dawson instead.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Abt_Nihil at 3:13PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(offline)
Steampunkish
Abt_Nihil
I wish there was just one movie which wasn't Japanese and which would break the mold. Something with depth and maturity; without any talking animals whatsoever, completely devoid of anything remotely cute, but not slipping into some caricature-like style either…

I could spend several pages listing off animations that fit that description, and that would just be off the top of my head. I shall however settle on saying that if you believe there to be no eastern animated films that are unique or ground-breaking, you are simply not looking beyond the very surface of eastern animation.

In any case.

As far as underrated goes, I really enjoyed 'When the Wind Blows'. It's from the 80's, and I've never heard anyone discuss it off of the internet. And I know it's not exactly underrated (I've heard it discussed), but ‘The Yellow Submarine’ was one of my favorite movies growing up. I only mention it because many of the people I run into have never heard of it
I have actually heard of both. I should have added “contemporary” – I was really talking about what's big at the movies these days. I readily acknowledge the fact that there have been several groundbreaking Western animated movies in the distant past :-)

In general, I do have the feeling that groundbreaking animation geared toward a smart, mature audience is much more often coming from Japan than not.

But I would really appreciate your naming some more! You're sounding like you know more than I do ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
mlai at 8:51PM, Dec. 8, 2010
(online)
When The Wind Blows pretty much sucked. I have zero tolerance for stupid country people. No I don't think country people are stupid, but the ones in the film are. Ignorant folk (in all parts of the nation) are what is destroying America, or allowing America to be destroyed.

Ignorance is an evil, or an enabler of evil, NOT a virtue. So yes watching the characters die in that film was like watching ants die, for me.

But yeah, The Yellow Submarine was awesome. I never got to watch all of it, because my father interrupted me and I had to turn off the TV. But I managed to watch the beginning segments, and the idea of it all was just so inspirational. I'm sure the film inspired a lot of kids who became architects of the biodome idea.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
ComicsCodeRed at 12:13PM, Dec. 14, 2010
(offline)
I think that The Fantastic Mr. Fox, while being a critical darling, was underrated insofar as box office numbers, which is a shame as it was marvelous.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:44PM, Jan. 4, 2011
(offline)
All the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy movies are great.
Kappa Mikey the Karaoke Episode!!!
Spongebob Squarepants Movie!!!
Other children's shows!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
lefarce at 9:24PM, Jan. 4, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Steampunkish
Yeah, it's marvellous, but Japanese :)

The Japanese really are the masters of clever, adult animation… although they did put in a semi tentacle rape scene in there. That was a little disappointing. Great movie though.

Echoing this. I saw the movie on a whim and it was really great. Tentacle rape was awesome, don't be fooled by tentacle rape haters.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
elektro at 11:43PM, Jan. 5, 2011
(online)
Anyone ever see a movie called "The Plague Dogs“? It was made by the same people that made ”Watership Down", and gets even less attention, which is a shame because it's a really good yet relatively dark film in its own rite.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Faliat at 10:20AM, Jan. 8, 2011
(online)
I watched Planet Hulk yesterday.

It's was pretty damn good. Some niggling issues every once in a while and it was a bit too fast paced at the start and some of the acting was hammy and not an indication of attraction before the end between Hulk and Caiera. But overall I greatly enjoyed it.

Also, it's brutal as hell! Not for your under 12s.

There's a bit where sapient bug-like people get smashed to hell by a group of Thing-like aliens and one of them get their head crushed and if you changed their yellow blood to red it'd be a 15 for sure. As well as a scene near the end where Caiera tries to save a kid from an attack by some sort of weapon that turns people into freakish mutant things, (Like the one that attacked her family when she was 13, resulting in her having to kill her mother, father and younger brother, whom she failed to save while fighting her parents and she somewhat likens to the other kid due to them being about the same age.) only for it to be incinerated and burn to ash in her arms while she's walking out of the rubble. It's not every day that a movie makes me GASP.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Air Raid Robertson at 9:02AM, Jan. 10, 2011
(online)
One of my all-time favorite animated films is Bruno Bozzeto's Allegro non Troppo. It's an Italian cartoon movie that spoofs Fantasia. At the same time, however, it transcends parody and becomes a remarkable film in and of itself.

I don't know if this counts as underrated, but I'm also very fond of Yellow Submarine. I think the animation is groundbreaking, and watching that film as a kid is what got me into the Beatles. I was horrified to learn that Robert Zemekis was planning a remake with that creepy CGI tech he used on Beowulf and The Polar Express.

Another great European animated film is Fantastic Planet. The budget for this sci-fi parable was clearly limited, but the staff did the best they could with it. Half the enjoyment I get out of watching that film is noticing all the creative ways they get around their shoestring resources.

I'm not sure if people consider this animation, but I'm also quite fond of the films Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly. The first movie is just an assortment of conversations about philosophy, psychology, the dream state, and related topics. The movie would be dry and pretentious if it wasn't complemented by the rotoscoped animation.

A Scanner Darkly, on the other hand, uses rotoscoped animation to highlight the mood of Philip K. Dick's novel. I'm not sure if it's the best movie based on a Dick story, but it's definitely the best at capturing the tone and spirit of the source material.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
ozoneocean at 10:08AM, Jan. 10, 2011
(online)
Air Raid Robertson
AAllegro non Troppo
I must see that some time!
Air Raid Robertson
Another great European animated film is Fantastic Planet. The budget for this sci-fi parable was clearly limited, but the staff did the best they could with it. Half the enjoyment I get out of watching that film is noticing all the creative ways they get around their shoestring resources.
Yeah, that's a great little French SciFi film about societies, slavery, exploitation, revolution, power… all that sort of thing. It's clever. :)
Air Raid Robertson
I'm not sure if people consider this animation, but I'm also quite fond of the films Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly. The first movie is just an assortment of conversations about philosophy, psychology, the dream state, and related topics. The movie would be dry and pretentious if it wasn't complemented by the rotoscoped animation.
It's actually supposed to BE inside the dreaming state, not waking up… i.e death. There are a number of clues, some pretty obvious in many of thee scenes that it's all happening in the mind of someone that has probably died. ^__^

Genejoke at 1:59PM, Jan. 10, 2011
(online)
elektro
Anyone ever see a movie called "The Plague Dogs“? It was made by the same people that made ”Watership Down", and gets even less attention, which is a shame because it's a really good yet relatively dark film in its own rite.

Plague dogs was great, a few years back I was trying to remember it and asked me brother and he had no memory of it at all. took me ages to find out what it was, very bleak.

Anyone ever see the flight of dragons? an old rankin bass film, I loved it as a kid and I think it still holds up pretty well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ozoneocean at 1:15PM, Jan. 11, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
Anyone ever see the flight of dragons? an old rankin bass film, I loved it as a kid and I think it still holds up pretty well.
Yes, I liked it!
Though I was freaked out by its similarity to the hilarious and cool story “The Dragon and the George” by Gordon R. Dickson. Then I found out that it was actually adapted from his work.
You should read the series of books Dickson, they're lovely. Some of the most fun American fantasy writing ever. It's more adult than what's in that film though.

Warpedwenger at 1:57PM, Jan. 30, 2011
(offline)
I found an interesting pick on netflix recently. The Secret of Kells is absolutely beautful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
Armagedon at 12:27AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
I don't think I would consider Hoodwinked as underated. The only reason for this is because it got a sequel, which comes out this summer. So there was definitely a notice in it's popularity.

In terms of the 2D craze… I'd say on a lower scale the Recess movie was kind of under-rated. It was released in theaters, but didn't really click despite being in the hype of the series. It had James woods as the villain which is always awesome, and the story was classic recess. Outlandish and ridiculous, but the kind of thing where when you were a kid, you'd be like “ya, it'd be awesome to stop that”

2D animation isn't dead yet. It's just taken a back seat in the US. There are still plenty of other countries that still utilize the traditional style and it still works very well. (The illusionist being an example, as it's been nominated for an oscar).

There are a couple of projects that are slated to come out in 2D in the states. The most notable is the new Winnie the Pooh movie. While I don't expect it to light a fire in the box office, it could be in for a surprise run.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
isukun at 1:14AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
The theatrically released movies based on popular kids shows generally don't pull in a lot at the box office. Usually parents aren't as interested in sitting through a movie with their kids that assumes some knowledge of characters they aren't familiar with. Although even the movies based on adult oriented shows don't do well as theatrical projects. Both do much better in the direct to video market.

2D animation may not be dead, yet, but it's barely grasping onto life at this point and I don't really see that changing anytime soon. The Eastern market still produces a lot of 2D stuff, but outside of that, most regions are focusing primarily on the cheaper and easier CG formats. They are more “studio friendly” and are easy to adapt to the new 3D theaters and TVs. TV is heading in the same direction with more shows making the switch to CG or cheaper symbol-based animation.

Unfortunatly, the industry still looks to Disney and Pixar to set the standard and with Lasseter letting the 2D studios fizzle out, it looks like neither is particularly interested in bringing 2D back from the grave. It's unfortunate, I wasn't thrilled by Tangled. It just highlighted all the ways in which CG still hasn't caught up with traditional animation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved