Debate and Discussion

Unexpected Apathy/Depression...
Aurora Moon at 9:04PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
I was just trying to upload to both Drunk Duck and on Smack Jeeves (although stupid Jeeves keep on telling me to resize my comics to smaller sizes)….

when all of a sudden I was hit with this unexpected feeling of depression or apathy, and I didn't feel like uploading anymore…

I think this was just because DD's little crash made me upset and now that it's back up, I HAVE to upload all of the pages again which led to this feeling.

And of course Smackjeeve's strict upload file size and telling me I have to resize my comics making my text blurry and shit, doesn't help any.
Of course, I could always edit my text so it's readable when I resize them, but still…

And I was actually planning on working on new pages or some artwork at least, but the feelings just pretty much suffocated any feeling of creativty.

Anybody ever had this feeling? If so, what do you do when you have those feelings?
what do you do to get over it.

Me? I usually just sleep off those feelings and doodle random pictures the day after to get over those feelings.

Discuss.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
hpkomic at 9:07PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
Why not try adding your text digitally?

That way at any size, your text can be nice and readable with minimal tweaking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Aurora Moon at 9:17PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(offline)
lol, I use a wacom so I pretty much draw on a computer's digital surface, so to speak so it's all digital to start with. :lol:

of course there's the occasional scanned pages but the text is always added digitally because my handwriting quite frankly sucks.

that's just at certain sizes of pages some fonts aren't very good at being readable when you save the pages as jpg, which is my main formant since it cuts down on file sizes.

But anyway this thread was supposed to be about how artists deal with depression or apathy related to their work…
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
gigatwo at 9:31PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
It happened a lot when I drew comics. I'm thinking about starting a new one, but those kind of feelings keep me from jumping right in. I can say that I relate, but I can't really help you, seeing as I don't know how to deal with them right now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
hpkomic at 9:41PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
I was like that for about 6 months.

Best I can advise is just simply keep working.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
ccs1989 at 12:54PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
From the beginning of 6th grade to November of 8th Grade I drew about 15 different comics. I would do maybe 3 chapters at most and then quit. They were really pathetic. Then from November to March of 8th grade I drew my previous comic before the first AA, which was called ‘Samurai Ressurection’. I started on the beginning of the second chapter, abandoned it, and started on the first version of Assassin Assassin.

Annyway I ditched the first version of Assassin Assassin in late November and have been doing a total overhaul of it since. But I had to do a lot of experiementation before I could get to a point where I could continue a story.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Mazoo at 4:41PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(offline)
I have actually been feeling that way for about a week now. But instead of describe it as “apathetic” or “depressed” I feel more… “uninspired.” It started in art class, where we have a free choice… but it has to meet the requirements of what we have learned throughout the semester, and we cannot do expressionism or abstract (which I have found I enjoy greatly). Anyway, we had to do a few sketches of what our piece would be, and I just couldn't do it. I just didn't want to do it.

Also, surfing around this forum has increased that feeling. I began wondering why exactly am I making my art? Is it really meaningful, or am I just making something I want people to look at and say “wow, that's really good. I like it!” In reality I'm looking for that instant gratification. I was having a discussion with my old english teacher about BF Skinner and we actually got into the subject of art. To me, the real artist is one who does not do their art for the sake of others, but to do it for themselves… for the sake of art.

And that's not what I'm doing. I'm posting my comic on here or there when even I don't think it's all that great, but I'm hoping others will and leave a nice comment for me so I get a little ego booster. I see that as a problem, because as soon as I get some criticism or a flame I'm instantly offended (I'm someone who is influenced very easily by other's comments and opinions, sadly enough). I'm not creating art for me anymore, I'm creating it for others.

And that makes me feel unhappy because, to me, I feel as though my art is meaningless. Which, all in all, makes me feel uninspired, which then causes me to feel frustrated. I want to create something great but anything I do falls way short.

Call this an art block if you will, but I've been struggling with this concept for the past couple of years. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ccs1989 at 5:26PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
Well that's the way a lot of people get, especially when they're young. I can't say honestly that I don't mind bad comments. If someone critisizes my art I'll feel bad, but it's necessary to reply in a way that entails that I'm trying to improve. Which I am. Or I wouldn't have drawn so many comics of the of the old series (over 200 pages after chapter 7) and then restarted it to make it better.

I also can't honestly say that I don't love comments, especially good ones. Especially long, review-like praise. But unfortunatly those little ego-boostes are all that keep a lot of people going. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just cut myself off from the net and work on improving my art, but I'm not sure that would do anything. The influx of creative ideas I get from places like DD allows me to improve. Or at least find something to sketch during math class.

Anyway I get kind of mad at art teachers too, not because they hate many comics, but just because most of my art teachers have been so utterly opposed to actually teaching people to draw human bodies or buildings or SOMETHING that would improve my comic art. I've been taking Studio Art for a while now, and we haven't done one drawing of a person or learning how the human body is constructed. It's all collage or mixed media or printmaking. To me that seems more useless than cartoons would be, but of course I don't share their ‘artistic background’.

Huh…well that was majorly off topic.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Aurora Moon at 9:07PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(offline)
Mazoo
I have actually been feeling that way for about a week now. But instead of describe it as “apathetic” or “depressed” I feel more… “uninspired.” It started in art class, where we have a free choice… but it has to meet the requirements of what we have learned throughout the semester, and we cannot do expressionism or abstract (which I have found I enjoy greatly). Anyway, we had to do a few sketches of what our piece would be, and I just couldn't do it. I just didn't want to do it.

Also, surfing around this forum has increased that feeling. I began wondering why exactly am I making my art? Is it really meaningful, or am I just making something I want people to look at and say “wow, that's really good. I like it!” In reality I'm looking for that instant gratification. I was having a discussion with my old English teacher about BF Skinner and we actually got into the subject of art. To me, the real artist is one who does not do their art for the sake of others, but to do it for themselves… for the sake of art.

And that's not what I'm doing. I'm posting my comic on here or there when even I don't think it's all that great, but I'm hoping others will and leave a nice comment for me so I get a little ego booster. I see that as a problem, because as soon as I get some criticism or a flame I'm instantly offended (I'm someone who is influenced very easily by other's comments and opinions, sadly enough). I'm not creating art for me anymore, I'm creating it for others.

And that makes me feel unhappy because, to me, I feel as though my art is meaningless. Which, all in all, makes me feel uninspired, which then causes me to feel frustrated. I want to create something great but anything I do falls way short.

Call this an art block if you will, but I've been struggling with this concept for the past couple of years. :(

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I go to an College where it's mostly liberal arts and has to do with anything creative.

Although at times the collage I go to is pretty restrictive when it comes to certain classes because you are told that you can't do a certain medium that you like to do so well.

I guess the point of it is to see how well you can be creative when limitations are placed on you, but still….

It just sucks at times, and makes me want not to do anything at all.

In a way I kinda feel this way too when it comes to DD at times. like the only reason why I even wanted to upload an comic on DD was so that I could improve upon my art and get feedback.. as well as try to work on my storytelling skills in the visual medium.

but in a way if I have to work on getting all the pages back up, it kinda felt to me for a second that the only reason why I was uploading it again was so that people could go “great comic!” and stuff. looking for that gratification after all the frustration DD put me though, and that's kinda abusing my art in that way…
Ian Jay at 2:29PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
Mazoo
Also, surfing around this forum has increased that feeling. I began wondering why exactly am I making my art? Is it really meaningful, or am I just making something I want people to look at and say “wow, that's really good. I like it!” In reality I'm looking for that instant gratification. I was having a discussion with my old english teacher about BF Skinner and we actually got into the subject of art. To me, the real artist is one who does not do their art for the sake of others, but to do it for themselves… for the sake of art.

Great. I'm like that, too. Now you've given me something to worry about.

No, but seriously, if there are any voices in your head telling you that you shouldn't be doing your comics just because other people want you to, then by all means do something different! It's like I once told this one guy who was having trouble with his comic one time: The artist's greatest privilege is the ability to change his or her mind. If you don't like what you're doing, don't do it! Forget the consequences. Carpe diem, right? And if you decide that you still want to do your old thing instead of your new thing, that's okay, too.

And don't beat yourself up just because you feel like other people rely on you to get an entertainment fix. That means you're famous! Heck, that's one of the reasons I got into this business: to be an active and functioning part of the industry, to be even the tiniest cogwheel in this great big crazy beautiful thing called comics. It isn't just a job or a hobby; it's an adventure.

Don't try to draw for fans, though. Just draw for yourself, put out the best pieces of art you can possibly create, and fans will come to you.

At least, I sure hope they do. It hasn't really worked for me yet. Yet.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
invisiblegirl at 5:24PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
:( Well, that kinda thing can happen now and again. It could be that you're just having a plain old artists block due to whatever. Feeling like you can't get your comic (which is essentially your thoughts) out there for people to see, and you feel like it's not worth the trouble - that is another form of artists block in a way.
Just try and find ways of getting your creative mojo running again. What helps me is renting a bunch of movies - most of the time of completely different genres - like for instance one day you rented a sci fi, a war epic, and a disney animation or whatever and watched them all at once while you're cleaning or drawing or doing homework or even doing nothing. I normally don't like watching commercials unless I start getting an artist block, then commercials can be inspiring. Reading books and magazines, especially going to Barnes and Nobles book store. And going to malls or going somewhere where theres alot of people to draw. I like gesture drawing people, so I go to alot of places where theres lots of people that I can sketch without them noticing me.

Sorry if someone already said this, I didn't read any of the posts below the first post. *bows apologetically*
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
invisiblegirl at 5:34PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
Art is essentially supposed to be something to make for the sake of it and for yourself. But I like to think of Art as a form of communication. When you think about it, Art is the original form of documentation, it existed before writing and most likely before an actual language.
I think that you guys feel like you have something you want to show people and communicate to others for whatever reasons they are, and you want a response. I don't think that's wrong, and I especially don't think that you should question why you are doing webcomics. It doesn't really matter why you are doing them.
And quite frankly alot of artists do art for other reasons that for the sake of doing art. I think there are a rare few that actually do art for the sake of doing art. I don't think that anyone is in the right or in the wrong. Hell even Kincaid has his place in the world of art - no matter how much like the antichrist he is.
Art is art…art is what you make of it.

Okay… I better go get some food before I start hallucinating. :shock:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
ccs1989 at 6:44PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
Ian Jay
It isn't just a job or a hobby; it's an adventure.

Don't try to draw for fans, though. Just draw for yourself, put out the best pieces of art you can possibly create, and fans will come to you.

At least, I sure hope they do. It hasn't really worked for me yet. Yet.

~IJ

Well…SOMEtimes they don't. I'm sure some really talented cartoonists got the cold end of the popularity contest while others like Rob Liefield got really popular for a while (but I really should stop harping or Liefield). That doesn't mean they didn't attract a few fans though.

Originality doesn't exactly mean numerous fans, just usually more devoted ones.

Sometimes I wish I could come up with really amazingly creative and original ideas that were so MIND BURSTINGLY original that they would change the fabric of reality and cause a major warp in the continuum (really I have no idea how the spell that) …but sadly I actually find more joy now in doing stuff that some may call ‘cliche’. Of course I think it might be more original that they say but that's because i'm biased and well this has kind of gotten into a rant sort of thing this topic is prone to those because we being artists are sort of the rambling type with the issues and the stuff and the this and the that…i haven't seen Eunice around here lately…maybe she has something to say on the subject…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved