Tips and Tricks/Support *

Unnoticed Creative DD comics
Eviltwinpixie at 6:39AM, Feb. 25, 2008
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Hewy
Bruised Oranges has been featured!!
I'm gonna be stealing some comics out of here sometimes, even though I'll still be super picky. :) (Hopefully my admitting that isn't going to lower the quality of contributions…)

My suggestion got featured! *pose*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
DAJB at 7:30AM, Feb. 25, 2008
(online)
TheMidge28
FYI…less we forget, the thread was started to point out unnoticed comics and not recommend comics to be featured which may already have a fan base.
You're absolutely right, Midge. The problem in some cases (admittedly not all!) is that, because we don't have access to everyone else's pageviews/rankings, it's difficult to know whether they are “unnoticed” or not.

The number of comments can be a very poor guide. My comic receives a pretty high number of comments and it has been featured and so there's no way I would categorise it as “unnoticed”. And yet there are comics on the above “5 comment-posters or less” list that are already way above mine in the rankings. Clearly they already have a high number of readers, they just have a low percentage of comment-leavers.

The reverse is true, in some cases, as regards the “featured” criteria. There seem to be a number of comics which were perhaps featured some time ago and yet failed to capitalise on their brief moment of fame so that, today, they are (again/still!) “unnoticed”.

Anyway, that said, I'd like to add Purgatory to the list. I'm not sure if it's been featured already (I think it may have been) but - judging by the number of comments it receives - it does appear to be relatively “unnoticed” at the moment. (Note: the last two updates are text-driven backstory pieces but go back beyond those and you'll find the comic proper. It's a good 'un!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
TheMidge28 at 9:34AM, Feb. 25, 2008
(online)
@DAJB…I totally understand what your saying. It is a bit hard to confirm if one is unnoticed or not. I was working under the impression of good size archive and few to no comments as to what a define as unnoticed…plus they recently or regularly update.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
Locoma at 10:10AM, Feb. 25, 2008
(offline)
One of the latest comics i've been checking regularly that is still unnoticed is The Green Room. It has a very original art, likable and well differenced characters, updates regularly and the story is getting really juicy. It has around 25 pages of the story so I think this is a great moment to gather readers who might be interested in something like this.
Nice topic :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
amanda at 12:39PM, Feb. 25, 2008
(online)
This one is tremendously cute - no story arc, just life commentary coupled with severe cuteness:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz
(I know there's a way to make it clickable text rather than show the whole link, and I swear I used to know it, but I can't figure it out any more.)

*edited for awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
spacehamster at 1:01PM, Feb. 26, 2008
(online)
DAJB
The number of comments can be a very poor guide. My comic receives a pretty high number of comments and it has been featured and so there's no way I would categorise it as “unnoticed”. And yet there are comics on the above “5 comment-posters or less” list that are already way above mine in the rankings. Clearly they already have a high number of readers, they just have a low percentage of comment-leavers.

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of me, would you? Heh. I've wondered about that too. I guess the only explanation is that the PVs for comics with lower comment numbers and higher rankings are coming from off-site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
lba at 4:26PM, Feb. 26, 2008
(online)
DAJB

The reverse is true, in some cases, as regards the “featured” criteria. There seem to be a number of comics which were perhaps featured some time ago and yet failed to capitalise on their brief moment of fame so that, today, they are (again/still!) “unnoticed”.

When it came to these sorts of things I generally tried to use basic common sense reasoning. Those were the major criteria, but if there was a comic that didn't get many comments but has been consistently mentioned quite a bit by people in the forums I considered removing it. The same goes for the featured criteria. I took off the ones that were featured that I knew were getting interest. A prime example being Crowfeathers with was featured and is popular enough to have gotten a WCCA nomination.Also I was looking for at least 10 unique commentators not 5.

In no way was that meant to be the definitive list or anything. I'm just gathering the comics that appear to meet the criteria that have been named. If I make a mistake I want to be corrected and I'll put a note on it or something.

Anyway, digressions aside, back to the naming of unnoticed comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
mlai at 6:29AM, Feb. 27, 2008
(online)
Beleth's Library of Eclecticism

Everyone to Teen+, supernatural, short stories. Shoujo tastes but with excellent use of heavy blacks, minimal girly manga tones, and genuine artistic sensibilities. 29 pages, updates weekly, manga, pro quality.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Doctor Shadow at 9:08AM, Feb. 27, 2008
(online)
It gave me Sandman vibes, in a good way.
A Ronin writer, a masterless samurai of the written word…
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Chronicles_of_Wyrden/
Updating: Thursdays. Now in glorious Ink Wash and Water Soluble Pencil! Reva's note: This is not created digitally, it's all hand drawn and inked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
mlai at 4:13PM, Feb. 27, 2008
(online)
Heh, that's exactly what I thought as well.

Hard-to-please-critic friend gives Kolteck Omen and Beleth's Library Seals of Hearty Approval.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
korosu at 2:34PM, March 1, 2008
(online)
Here's a couple of new-ish comics that I think deserve a nod: TEDDYH1, which isn't as much of a comic as it is “illustrated thoughts”, if you will (but still has brilliant art); and GOLD, which has a very nice coloring technique. Neither have very many pages, but they look very promising.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
skoolmunkee at 3:56PM, March 1, 2008
(offline)
Man, I read Beyond Human tonight. I wanted to like it, I really did. but 30 pages of Bible Story Time right at the beginning was a HUGE turn off. I only made it about 10 pages in and I've forgotten whatever the bible stuff was about already. There had to have been a better way to get across whatever point there was supposed to be. I'll come back in a couple months I guess :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
seventy2 at 4:53PM, March 2, 2008
(online)
The Deed
decent art and a great story line. recent updates have been a little off from norm, but that's cause he's starting a new storyline…
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
Sidwarrious at 11:21AM, March 3, 2008
(online)
Yay CDLM got put on the undefinative list! If I tell Riz she jes might start putting her comics pages in here again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
blntmaker at 12:27PM, March 3, 2008
(offline)
TheMidge28
@DAJB…I totally understand what your saying. It is a bit hard to confirm if one is unnoticed or not. I was working under the impression of good size archive and few to no comments as to what a define as unnoticed…plus they recently or regularly update.

I swear THIS GUY is like the AGENT SMITH of FEATURED COMICS! TheMidge28 would know what is or isn't noticed.

:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
amanda at 1:45PM, March 3, 2008
(online)
Stealth is wonderful, and it's just getting started. Don't be fooled by its sprite-ish-ness. They're handdrawn, original characters; the story is fun and interesting. Definitely worth the look.

*edit* Uh…ignore the fact that the current page is a bit of a filler. This isn't the norm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
TheMidge28 at 8:48AM, March 4, 2008
(online)
blntmaker
TheMidge28

I swear THIS GUY is like the AGENT SMITH of FEATURED COMICS! TheMidge28 would know what is or isn't noticed.

HA!!! Just a fan of comics. That's all! :)

new for everyone to check out…ZONA
trippy ride. only 7 pages in but this comic is one to watch. Its black and white and has probably one of the best line artist I have seen any where! Check it out!
JustNoPoint at 12:44PM, March 4, 2008
(online)
Holy WOW
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
blntmaker at 7:30PM, March 5, 2008
(offline)
TheMidge28
blntmaker
TheMidge28

trippy ride. only 7 pages in but this comic is one to watch. Its black and white and has probably one of the best line artist I have seen any where! Check it out!

Modesty.

TheMidge28 appears in a comic's comment section from the ground up in nearly 80% of the comics I've seen featured. Now that he's invoked the name of ZONA, I give it two weeks before its featured too!

Face it Midge - You're the PATRON SAINT of FEATURED COMICS!

In MIDGE we trust, :P!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
korosu at 10:32PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
blntmaker
Face it Midge - You're the PATRON SAINT of FEATURED COMICS!

In MIDGE we trust, :P!
True dat. He's the one who gives these comics the “Colbert bump”, if you will.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Hewy at 12:49PM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
Wow. The patron saint of feature comics…I love it. It's like if Midge post about your comic, he is giving it his blessing to be featured to the world. That has to be the ultimate nickname.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Bocaj at 6:55PM, March 6, 2008
(online)
amanda
This one is tremendously cute - no story arc, just life commentary coupled with severe cuteness:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz
(I know there's a way to make it clickable text rather than show the whole link, and I swear I used to know it, but I can't figure it out any more.)

*edited for awesome.

Seconded.

Also, I found that because it was on Midge's recommended list for a bit.

Midge is truly an awesome comic deity (I'm probably using the wrong word, but whatever).

I would also like to add http://www.drunkduck.com/EPIC_Q/ to this list. Seriously.
I and one other person read it.
It is goofy, and doesn't take itself seriously, but the art and the comedy blend to make a casual and amazing comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
Rudolf at 8:37PM, March 10, 2008
(online)
Great thread! I'm always looking to find some really good unique stuff and I'm seeing a lot of that here.

I also have to agree that TheMidge's taste is great!

I'll try to make my contribution. Judging from the lack of comments I'll share this one.
Opey the Warhead

I found it today. Wonderful artwork among other things. Don't know much about its update schedule but I just hope it updates soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
skoolmunkee at 1:58AM, March 11, 2008
(offline)
Hewy
Wow. The patron saint of feature comics…I love it. It's like if Midge post about your comic, he is giving it his blessing to be featured to the world. That has to be the ultimate nickname.

Maybe it's just because he must read like, a billion comics a week, 'cos it seems like every comic I look at has got Midge comments :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
TheMidge28 at 6:46AM, March 11, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
Hewy

Maybe it's just because he must read like, a billion comics a week, 'cos it seems like every comic I look at has got Midge comments :)

not a billion…I just search through updates and find comics which stand out to me artistically and also have a storyline which seems intriguing and fave them. :)
Like I said I am a comic lover.

now enough about me and back to unnnoticed comics…
this a newer one which has a delicate feel and controlled linework and people should check out. Opaque Dreams. It has regular updates, has a bit of a fantasy/dreamlike feel, and something of a love about flowers. Definitely worth checking out. :)

Doctor Shadow at 6:53AM, March 11, 2008
(online)
In Midge we trust!

Seriously, you've nailed some great choices here man!

Makes me wonder what you think of Wyrden, now we've got around 23 pages under our belt.
A Ronin writer, a masterless samurai of the written word…
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Chronicles_of_Wyrden/
Updating: Thursdays. Now in glorious Ink Wash and Water Soluble Pencil! Reva's note: This is not created digitally, it's all hand drawn and inked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
DAJB at 8:36AM, March 14, 2008
(online)
I don't know whether this is “unnoticed” or not but - based on the number of comments it receives (or doesn't) - I suspect it might be. Anyway …

Check out Melody and Macabre. Whereas most of the comics recommended in this thread are there because the artwork is pretty spectacular, this one works for me because … well, it makes me laugh.

And there aren't many gag-strips that do that!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
JustNoPoint at 12:44PM, March 14, 2008
(online)
DAJB
I don't know whether this is “unnoticed” or not but - based on the number of comments it receives (or doesn't) - I suspect it might be. Anyway …

Check out Melody and Macabre. Whereas most of the comics recommended in this thread are there because the artwork is pretty spectacular, this one works for me because … well, it makes me laugh.

And there aren't many gag-strips that do that!

I believe you are correct sir. I enjoyed the strip very much ^_^
Faved
CoyoteLongshot at 4:33PM, March 15, 2008
(offline)
Wow, I'm glad I found this topic. There's some real gems in here! I went through each one and read at least a few pages, and I was really amazed at the broad range of (largely unnoticed) talent here at DD. More power to the wonderful artists that make these.

To add my two cents to this topic…

Starsign
Starsign has got such a great sense of style. The characters are really cute, but the comic itself is dark and gritty. The whole thing almost has a Tim Burtony feel to it, but more violent. :) The artist has a great grasp of action and anatomy, too. Don't miss this one.

Graestone
Even though it's just starting out, Graestone is another good one. All the pages are beautifully colored, and I'm already really getting into it. I would recommend keeping a close eye on it.

Check 'em out if you got time. Kudos to everyone posting on this topic!
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
junoblairb at 10:22AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
TheMidge28

YES. The hottest comic to grace the sight of ink in three thousand forevers. So surreal and gorgeous.

And then when you're ready for light-hearted goodness: Dis: Life is Hell. Parody, slap-stick humor, and wonderful irony. It's actually releasing a book here soon. :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon