Drunk Duck Awards

Up in the Air: Feedback Here, Please!
amanda at 9:13AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Exzachly had a great point - things were getting a little cluttery in that other thread. So! Here are the categories that are in need of debate. As we define or agree or whatnot, I will update the OTHER thread's master list of categories. That ought to work. (Uhhh, in theory.)

Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical
Western

New Categories! Include? Yes or No.
Best New Comic
Best Completed Comic
Best Line Art
Most Unique Art Style
Most Improved Art
Best All-Ages Comic
Best 3D Art/Comic
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?)
Best Single Panel Comic
Best Character Design

Discussion topics. Discuss!
Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue?
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art?
Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
amanda at 9:16AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
From Exzachly:

Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - keep, but ensure the nominees fit the award
Western - lose it

Best New Comic - for it, with a good definition in place
Best Completed Comic - for it
Best Line Art - against it
Most Unique Art Style - too much overlap
Most Improved Art - overlap with “most improved comic?”
Best All-Ages Comic - for it
Best 3D Art/Comic - for it
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - for it
Best Single Panel Comic - too much overlap
Best Character Design - for it

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue? - a little too specific
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art? - for it
amanda at 9:18AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
From Rori:

Add “Best Sociological Comic” or “Best Social Analysis Comic.”
Nix Slice-of-Life and keep Autobiographical.
amanda at 9:24AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - No, I think we should keep it. Plenty of autobio out there.
Western - Nix it.

Best New Comic - I'm still against it - too hard to research whether it's just new to DD or actually new.
Best Completed Comic - Totally for it.
Best Line Art - Nah - it overlaps too much with other art categories
Most Unique Art Style - I'm cool with this - I think this encompasses the Infinite Canvas idea.
Most Improved Art - Nah. This rolls up with the Most Improved Comic.
Best All-Ages Comic - Definitely for it!
Best 3D Art/Comic - Sure - let's add it in. I follow some great 3d comics and know there are more out there.
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - Absolutely. I think this should be a straight popular vote like the Friendlist/Most Helpful awards. I dunno about having one first place winner though - probably all these people would have a recognition trophy or something.
Best Single Panel Comic - Nah - these fit neatly with other categories.
Best Character Design - Sure! This would be a really fun category.

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue? - Eh… I think one, generic “Best Writing” will cover it.
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art? - Absolutely! A great idea.
Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area. - Honestly, I'm not going to bother because I don't support this category. And I'm lazy. And at work.

As far as Best Sociological, I think that would be great rolled into Spiritual/Philosophical. Maybe straight up Best Sociological/Philosophical Comic? Or do you suppose those are too different?

I'm still in favor of keeping Slice AND Autobio.
usedbooks at 1:19PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Um, amanda, there are two separate issues for best writing…

#1: Separate “best writing” into “best dialogue” and “best story writing”?

#2: Separate best dialogue into “best humorous dialogue” and “best dramatic dialogue” (while removing “best humor scenes” and “best tense scenes” )?

#1 is a significant issue. I suggested it last year but instead of including both, we just changed "best writing" into "best dialogue." I think that was a real shame. Best writing is NOT just the text on the page, and I think it should be rewarded! I also think there is a true art (and a distinctly different one) to writing good dialogue, and that too should have its own award.

There doesn't need to be too dialogue awards, but there should be those two separate writing awards, imo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
BffSatan at 7:55PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical- Sure, keep it.
Western- There's not exactly many western comics.

Best New Comic- I don't like it, most new comics aren't going to be popular enough yet to get enough attention for an award. I guarantee that the comic that wins this won't be the best, more likely just a comic by someone who has already been making comics here for years.
Best Completed Comic- Sure, seems like a good idea.
Best Line Art- nah, I don't think line art can realy be a best thing, it's either good or it isn't and it is kind of included in other art awards.
Most Unique Art Style- Sure, but it should be unique and good.
Most Improved Art- Definetely.
Best All-Ages Comic- This is a must have category.
Best 3D Art/Comic- We have 3D comics here? I think not, therefore this one is a no for me.
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?)- No, it's too hard to actually judge, there are so many supportive readers out there on so many different comics. This award is just silly.
Best Single Panel Comic- There are 3 I can think of at the top of my head that are elligable, there is probably mor eout there.
Best Character Design- Yes, I am still behind this one.

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue?- Sure, spilt them up.
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art?- Yeah, I am certainly behind this one.
Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area.- or get rid of it altogether.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
NickGuy at 12:58PM, May 11, 2009
(online)

Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical-I dont think it should be nixed, but if theres no clear competition for an autobiographical comic, then just give shout outs to those who are doing one.
Western-Man, im actually planning a western after KFK wraps up….so i guess keep it…but are there any oter western comics? i wouldnt know

Best New Comic-no…because then youll have to say how new does it have to be? new for genre? etc…too many peripheral categories, IMO.
Best Completed Comic-no…see above
Best Line Art-…what does this even mean? really…i say no
Most Unique Art Style-hmm sure
Most Improved Art-from when, since the comic began or since the last drunk duck awards? no if the first option, yes if the second.
Best All-Ages Comic-no…for the same reason as best new comic and best completed
Best 3D Art/Comic-sure
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?)-eh…how do you really prove this? i say no
Best Single Panel Comic-what?
Best Character Design-yes

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue?-hmm i would say split best writing into best plot/best execution…that way you include dialogue, but can give shout outs to those who have epic ideas.
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art?-eh…no?
Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area.-i cant really see that happening.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
NickGuy at 1:13PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
also, I just want to add…

it seems to me people are forgetting exactly what an award system is designed for…its not for the purpose of just inventing new categories to dole out awards…its for cache.

want to make the drunkduck awards mean something? heres an idea for you…put them on the front page. for example, i think it would be all kinds of awesome if there were more slots, like the featured webcomics slots, for the drunkduck award winners..sort of like the featured artist slots on conceptart.org..and they would stay up there all year until the next awards. this way, any noobs coming to the site can instantly see “oh, so THIS is what is considered good by everyone on here” and they can aspire to that level…again, thats what awards are supposed to be about…cache. and if theres an overabundance of silly categories like “best line art”, it waters down the whole thing, IMO.

for example, If im new and i come to the site, recommended by a friend, and i want to do a kickass kung fu manga…on the front page i see something like “Kung Fu Komix–2009 DRUNKDUCK AWARD WINNER FOR BEST MARTIAL ART COMIC” or something…im going to click on it and check it out and go “oh, so this is how good my comic would have to be to be considered on that level”.

the problem with the awards as it is right now is no one knows about them….get them on the front page.

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
usedbooks at 1:14PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Btw, amanda, I just want to clarify since it was my suggestion…

“Most Improved Art” was not suggested as a new category but as a name change – to replace “Most Improved” since that award was based primarily on art anyway and should, imo, have a name to match.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Redemption at 2:02AM, May 12, 2009
(offline)
In the interest of providing feedback, here are my two uneducated cents:

Nix these? Yes or No.
Not unless there's a truly abysmal number of comics that qualify.

Best New Comic - Yes. I think it'd be a good showcase for some of the newer comics around.
Best Completed Comic - Definitely.
Best Line Art - Perhaps not, as there seems to be a lot of cross-over with colour and black and white comic categories.
Most Unique Art Style - Yes. But how about ‘Most Unique Comic?’.
Most Improved Art - Sure.
Best All-Ages Comic - Yes.
Best 3D Art/Comic - Yes. There's a few of these around and they pose their own challenges.
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - I'm all for it, but would it be difficult to judge and figure out who does and does not qualify?
Best Single Panel Comic - Yes. Again, I think they pose their own challenges compared to other styles.
Best Character Design - Yes.

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue? - Does that mean getting rid of ‘best writing’ altogether. Hmmm I've seen some fantastic dialogue that stands up on its own, I'd love to see both general writing and dialogue awards.
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art? - I'm for it. It opens up the category for other styles of abstract/simplified art.

Updates Thursdays.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
lba at 2:15PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - Keep it if we've got enough comics to fit the category
Western - Toss it. Not enough of them.

Best New Comic - Toss it. Too many issues with research and whatnot.
Best Completed Comic - Keep it, but we need a very tight definition of “complete”
Best Line Art - No. It's too specific.
Most Unique Art Style - Interesting idea, but too difficult to judge. Toss it.
Most Improved Art- Keep it.
Best All-Ages Comic - Keep it.
Best 3D Art/Comic - Keep it, but make sure it's got a very tight definition. ie: does stuff using screen caps count?
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - As a public vote rather than judged category it's fine.
Best Single Panel Comic - Even as a technically biased judge, I'm going to say no. There's not enough of them that have it as their defining characteristic.
Best Character Design - It'll probably get judged by the level of the art not the concept. So a no on that one.

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue? Keep dialogue and writing separate. Maybe have all three as categories, but I think dialogue and writing are distinct enough things to keep separate.

Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art? I think this one is ok to do. It will open up the category beyond the few stick art comics we have to more. We will have to be a bit more specific about what fits the category though. Some people might take “simplified” to mean cell shading or cartoons.

NickGuy
want to make the drunkduck awards mean something? heres an idea for you…put them on the front page.
To answer what you're saying, we've talked about it in the past, but unfortunately that's more up to Platinum and their coders than us. I believe we have talked to them about it in the past, but nothing came of it for whatever reason. So, for now the best we've got is asking skoolmunkee to post the winners in the news posts and trying to get the word out by passing it along on people's comics and by word of mouth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
NickGuy at 3:45PM, May 16, 2009
(online)
lba
To answer what you're saying, we've talked about it in the past, but unfortunately that's more up to Platinum and their coders than us. I believe we have talked to them about it in the past, but nothing came of it for whatever reason. So, for now the best we've got is asking skoolmunkee to post the winners in the news posts and trying to get the word out by passing it along on people's comics and by word of mouth.

ah i see…

JoeL_CQB at 11:40PM, May 17, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - yay
Western - nay

Best New Comic - nay
Best Completed Comic - nay, like how many would have been done by this year?
Best Line Art - may,
Most Unique Art Style - nay
Most Improved Art - nay, i think we already have something for this
Best All-Ages Comic - yay
Best 3D Art/Comic - yay
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - wat?
Best Single Panel Comic - may, I've only seen a few
Best Character Design - nay

Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
DAJB at 9:22AM, May 18, 2009
(online)
Hmmm - first thoughts:

Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - Yes, nix it! I sat on the panel for this category last year. There are too few comics that are genuinely autobiographical (no need for a category which has only two or three comics in it!) and too many that fall into an “almost autobiographical” grey area (too much room for argument!). A more general “slice of life” category (which I assume we already have?) would cover anything that might fit in here.
Western - Nix. I can think of two very good western comics on DD but, again, I suspect there are too few to warrant a separate category. Any genre with less than half a dozen credible candidates probably shouldn't be a separate category.

Best New Comic - No. I don't see a need for this. Most comics on DD would probably meet the criteria for a new comic anyway. On the other hand, if the criteria require them to be very new, then the number which will have enough updates to truly judge will be very small.
Best Completed Comic - No. Again, too few to warrant a category. Instead of an award, why not recognise the achievements of those who have finished a comic by having a kind of “Goodbye list” of all the completed comics (like the list of deceased film stars at the Oscars!)
Best Line Art - No. Don't we have enough art categories already? Plus this will inevitably lead to some people nominating fully shaded and/or coloured comics (on the basis that the underlying lineart is clearly good) and others insisting it should only include lineart which has not been coloured and/or shaded.
Most Unique Art Style - Possibly. Although “unique” art doesn't always equal a good comic. It would seem odd to give an award to a poor comic just because the art style was “unique”. Conversely, it would be just as strange to give the award to a better comic but with art that isn't as “unique” as others. Does DD have enough comics which are both good and unique for this to warrant a category?
Most Improved Art - I thought we already had this (or something very similar). If not, then fine. If so, then no.
Best All-Ages Comic - Needs definition. Is it really to be limited to comics rated E only?
Best 3D Art/Comic - Yes, as long as there are enough candidates. Is this replacing the digital art award? If so, this is at least a much clearer description.
Most Supportive Readers - No. This would be readers essentially voting for themselves!
Best Single Panel Comic - No. The distinction between a three panel gag-strip and a single panel joke a day is pretty slim. This would be like separating story comics into those with six or more panels on a page and those with less.
Best Character Design - Possibly. Would need further definition. A recent thread elsewhere in the forum shows some people interpret design as the look of the character while others see it as including the character's whole backstory and personality. Also you'd need to consider whether there's a case for best character design in a gag-strip/comedy comic with a separate one for best character design in a serious/story comic. The criteria may be very different.

I'd suggest this could be better defined as best dialogue in a gag-strip comedy comic (although that may be too similar to funniest comic if we have something like that) and a separate award for best dialogue in a serious/story comic.
More importantly, though, if you are going to split best writing into more than one award, there should also be a best story/plotting award. That's a very different part of the writing process and just as important as dialogue.
I don't think we need this category at all.
Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area
I'm not sure there should be one of these (see comments above). If there is to be one, I'd suggest the definition should be comics started three months or less before the cut-off date and having ten pages or more (excluding filler) so that the comic can be properly assessed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Pieguy259 at 11:54PM, May 18, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
How many entries were there for these last year? If there were like, two…

Best New Comic - If we define “new” to be “started since the last DD Awards”, sure.
Best Completed Comic - Go for it.
Best Line Art - Eh? If you like. Doesn't really seem necessary.
Most Unique Art Style - Sounds fun.
Most Improved Art - Sounds fun.
Best All-Ages Comic - Sure.
Best 3D Art/Comic - Sure.
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - Sure.
Best Single Panel Comic - Sure.
Best Character Design - Sure.

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue? If you include a “best plot/storyline” as well.
Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art? What? More competition? I'm conflicted on this one. Stick comics need more love, but it's a bit exclusive. I'll say no.
Define “Best New Comic” in such a way as to be a feasible area. Any comics begun since the last DD Awards.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Exzachly at 1:14AM, May 21, 2009
(online)
DAJB
Autobiographical - Yes, nix it! I sat on the panel for this category last year.
Hell, if even the panel judge thinks there's not enough comics that fit the category, then I change my vote.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Hyena H_ll at 4:21AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - Keeper.
Western - Kick it to the curb.

Best New Comic - Keeper, if it's defined like folks have been sayin'.
Best Completed Comic - Keeper.
Best Line Art - Kick it to the Curb.
Most Unique Art Style - The Curb.
Most Improved Art- Keeper.
Best All-Ages Comic - Keeper. I think these get overlooked.
Best 3D Art/Comic - Keeper. Too different from a lot of traditional comics to fit into a lot of the other categories.
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - The curb. How do you judge this one?
Best Single Panel Comic - Curb.
Best Character Design - The curb.

1.) Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue?

Yes. Writing compelling dialogue is way different than constructing a compelling story. Not sure about the splitting of the dramatic and humorous dialogue, but I'm gonna say yes on that one too. Perhaps selfishly.

2.) Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art?

Uh, this one's tough. How simple is simple, for one? I think it'd be too hard to draw the line. Goin' with no.

NickGuy
want to make the drunkduck awards mean something? heres an idea for you…put them on the front page.
That'd be rad if it could be done.

Just wondering- when are the awards starting?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 11:08PM, June 18, 2009
(online)
Nix these? Yes or No.
Autobiographical - Keep
Western - Don't (how many western comics are there on DD anyway?!)

Best New Comic - Yes
Best Completed Comic - Yes (but completed when? Within the past 12 months?)
Best Line Art - nah..
Most Unique Style - Yes
Most Improved Art - If there's already a Most Improved Comic award, no.
Best All-Ages Comic - Yeah!
Best 3D Art/Comic - ok
Most Supportive Readers (top 5?) - A bit of a popularity contest… and it wouldn't be incredibly surprising anyway
Best Single Panel Comic - Sure!
Best Character Design - Definitely. Why didn't we have this before?!

Separate Best Writing into Best Witty/Best Dramatic Dialogue? -
no, because writing is more than dialogue… the events that take place are a kind of ‘writing’, and also writing doesn't have to be dramatic or witty to be good… Split it into 3 categories if you will, but don't get rid of Best Writing!!

Change Best Stick Figure to Best Use of Simplified Art? - sure, who cares ;P

As far as Best Sociological, I think that would be great rolled into Spiritual/Philosophical. Maybe straight up Best Sociological/Philosophical Comic? Or do you suppose those are too different?
Why do we even need “Best Sociological”?

DAJB
Instead of an award, why not recognise the achievements of those who have finished a comic by having a kind of “Goodbye list” of all the completed comics (like the list of deceased film stars at the Oscars!)

I like this idea too.. funny!! But maybe one crowning award. Since finished comics, I'd imagine, are ineligible for the other awards.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:23PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved