Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Updates vs quality
Metalbender92 at 6:47PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
I'm not sure if the title really explains my question. I'm thinking of starting a humor strip, and I've been messing around with inkscape with some pretty good results. Problem is, each panel takes me 15 minutes to do. I'm not complaining out of laziness, I just get 3 or 4 ideas for comics a week, and if I have to draw them with my tablet I won't get to use all of them (unless I resort to copying panels, which can look really bad).

I got some grayscale markers and a couple pens for christmas, and after trying these out, I figured out that I can come up with some good results. The art is simple, and the comics look homemade (but not sloppy), which I like. I could easily do 3 updates a week this way, and I like using a pen a lot more.

So I enjoy using a pen, but the art isn't as crisp and I'm not really stretching myself. Any ideas on what I should do?
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Nergal at 10:05PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
If there's a drastic difference between the quality then focus on the quality but if the other method is something you're really happy with and want your name on then I say go with the more frequent updates. It sounds like the more simple method still looks good and you are still putting work into it which is a plus if you can still turn out more updates.

Updates are important. Take it from me, I've been doing webcomics for so long but I don't update often so no one likes me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
Hyena H_ll at 11:12PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Hehehe. If I could do a panel in 15 minutes, I'd update 5 times a day. ;)

But seriously: I think if you're doing a strip style comic it's important to update often. I say do ‘em with the pen. They’ll get less and less sloppy the more you draw, and you can always clean them up a bit digitally.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Metalbender92 at 7:25PM, March 10, 2009
(offline)
Hyena H_ll
Hehehe. If I could do a panel in 15 minutes, I'd update 5 times a day. ;)

It's not that I'm lazy, but it just seems like I'm putting in a lot of work for nothing when I spend an hour on a minimalist comic strip. I could have stick figures and still get the same joke across. If I was doing an epic, moving masterpiece with detailed characters, then I wouldn't mind spending the time.

I came up with some ways to make drawing on my tablet faster, so I think I'll stick with my tablet. I should be able to update often.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone!
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 6:57PM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Metalbender92
If I was doing an epic, moving masterpiece with detailed characters, then I wouldn't mind spending the time.

If you were doing an epic masterpiece with detailed characters, it wouldn't take you 15 minutes a panel : )

Think about it, the better-drawn, funnier strips get lots of comments, while the less well-drawn ones that update even daily don't.
So you're better off working hard. That way, you'll improve your art by pushing yourself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Major Shake at 7:46AM, March 13, 2009
(offline)
Ill vote for quality.. Id rather read one well written strip a week than 7 shitty ones.
Im mainly a writer so I dont care all that much for the art.. however if the joke is based on something visual then obviously the art needs to be good enough to let the joke come through.

Always remember, less is more.
www.drunkduck.com/total_disregard
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Pandafilando at 12:09AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
well as someone that lacks both … i can only say updates can be more important, but you shouldn't lower your quality too much, after all comics are sequential, the great “one of a time” art pieces aren't sequential so they didn't have to worry about deadlines and such.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved