Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Updating schedule
confusedsoul at 9:32AM, Jan. 5, 2009
(online)
Yup, back again.

What would make a good updating schedule for a manga style comic? For most of my comics I try to have an update per week, but those have a punch line or more dialogue for the readers to …read. So whats a good schedule for a manga? It would be a full colour manga too, whether that would matter or not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
CharleyHorse at 9:44AM, Jan. 5, 2009
(offline)
I don't think that it matters if it is Manga in style or vivid or intricate in coloration. From what I can tell of DD audiences once per week is enough to gain your comic a loyal following. More often would be better and less often would be pushing your luck. It would have to be really dynamic in nature in order to capture much of a following if it were updated less than once a week.

I acknowledge, however, that the practical aspect comes into play here. How much time do you have to devote to this project and how much energy do you have available?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
BlkKnight at 9:45AM, Jan. 5, 2009
(online)
The schedule should be however many pages you can handle making a week on a consistent basis. If you haven't started yet, make a buffer and judge by that.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
confusedsoul at 12:38PM, Jan. 5, 2009
(online)
CharleyHorse
I don't think that it matters if it is Manga in style or vivid or intricate in coloration. From what I can tell of DD audiences once per week is enough to gain your comic a loyal following. More often would be better and less often would be pushing your luck. It would have to be really dynamic in nature in order to capture much of a following if it were updated less than once a week.

I acknowledge, however, that the practical aspect comes into play here. How much time do you have to devote to this project and how much energy do you have available?

I'm going on the basis that Manga is designed to be a quick read with very few panels to a page. I find it annoying to find a comic where the action happens in three panels per page if it updates every fortnight, so I want to get the pacing right so that it's regulalry updated, but not enough to stress me out.

I'm happy to devote as much time as possible to this, and I can work on a comic indefinitely. Unfortunately, the second part of my University course starts soon and I have to restart work on the assisted comic too.

If I relied on my buffer, then I'd say three months.
Hyena H_ll at 8:14AM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
My $.02:

Put up a few pages at first, to get the ball rolling. Then start with regular weekly updates; if you find yourself with a healthy backlog of new pages, then up it to twice-a-week, or whatever schedule is congruous to your creative output.

I feel your pain on not wanting things to move to slowly with the once-a-week updates, but it's a pace I know I can handle. I just try to focus on being able to stick to a consistent update schedule for the long haul. Everybody has dumb life stuff that interferes with the all-important making of comics, and although you might be able to make five pages one week, you can't bet on every week treatin' you as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
mattchee at 8:23AM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
bottom line… with story comics… or any comic really. The more frequent, the better. I'd say more than once a week, though. I read a couple mangas and its like, if you're reading only 4 pages in a month, with few panels, its hard to remember what's going on.

Y'know, like a guy could say “there;s a rock in my shoe” pace around the room a little bit and then say “my foot hurts” and i wont remember why because i read the first bit a month and half ago.

I mean, I only update twice a week myself, but my style is less manga more “western” comic style– and I've adapted it, for the most part, to the idea that I'm publishing on the web first. IE - I try and pack in a decent amount of stuff per page so that the reader feels like they've read something, and I try and have some kind of development happen on the page, even if its minor.

those are just my thoughts on possible concerns…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
confusedsoul at 9:07AM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
mattchee
bottom line… with story comics… or any comic really. The more frequent, the better. I'd say more than once a week, though. I read a couple mangas and its like, if you're reading only 4 pages in a month, with few panels, its hard to remember what's going on.

Y'know, like a guy could say “there;s a rock in my shoe” pace around the room a little bit and then say “my foot hurts” and i wont remember why because i read the first bit a month and half ago.

I mean, I only update twice a week myself, but my style is less manga more “western” comic style– and I've adapted it, for the most part, to the idea that I'm publishing on the web first. IE - I try and pack in a decent amount of stuff per page so that the reader feels like they've read something, and I try and have some kind of development happen on the page, even if its minor.

those are just my thoughts on possible concerns…

That's pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I think the wait is the most noticable in manga fiht scenes, where less panels are used to make the action appear faster. It's probably unlikely that I'll be able to do a flawless manga style comic, so maybe a slight panel increas in some cases wouldn't go amiss.

I was thinking of creating 5 pages and having them update automatically per week while I get the others done, but I'm less sure now. That seems like a long wait for not much action, but anything less is pushing my time. I think I'll try and make a large buffer.
NickGuy at 11:33AM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
mattchee

heh, that sounds like fun. im the kind of bastard who likes to play around with medium though, so i think nothing of updating once a month, or doing 20 double page splashes in a row.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
mattchee at 1:44PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
confusedsoul
I was thinking of creating 5 pages and having them update automatically per week while I get the others done, but I'm less sure now. That seems like a long wait for not much action, but anything less is pushing my time. I think I'll try and make a large buffer.

That's a solid plan. The important thing is, whatever your schedule turns out to be, make sure its something you can commit to, for one, and yeah, have a buffer so you're not doing tomorrows page up to the last minute.

NickGuy
heh, that sounds like fun. im the kind of bastard who likes to play around with medium though, so i think nothing of updating once a month, or doing 20 double page splashes in a row.

Expect nothing but the unexpected!

You're always throwing curve balls, which you always seem to make work for you somehow!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved