Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Using multiple sites for one comic
Metalbender92 at 2:26PM, Oct. 7, 2008
(offline)
Would it be a good idea to use multiple webcomic hosts for one comic? For instance, making 3 “sites” on different hosts and updating each of them with the same comic?
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 6:43PM, Oct. 7, 2008
(offline)
I believe so. Only problem with that is, trying to upload on 3 different sites.
And make sure that your comic appeals to the main demographic of that site.

I will use Smackjeeves as a reference.
If you even dare to host there, you should have a Manga/sprite comic.
Because that seems to be the demographic there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Raccoo at 9:20PM, Oct. 7, 2008
(online)
I wouldn't care about demographics there if it's just a mirror for backup. Figure out which is going to be the “main” so you can keep it updated best. I dunno about having three sites, two seems like plenty to me. But I guess you'd likely get some readers who wouldn't have seen it otherwise, so go for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:58PM
mattchee at 12:13AM, Oct. 8, 2008
(online)
If you want to get your comic exposure, the logical thing to do would be to get it viewed in the most places possible. The downside is that if you have, say, PW ads, other free hosting sites wont allow you to put the ads up like DD does. So you might get hella page views that don't earn you anything on PW.

A good idea is to get your comic on lists…. there are a few lists out there that have gotten me a bunch of page view and return readers that are NOT DD members….

Look into it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
mlai at 5:43AM, Oct. 8, 2008
(online)
The problem with non-DD lists are that the readers are mostly not registered in DD, so they give you page hits but never comment.

To me, 1 good comment is worth more than 100 page hits. Which is why I'm pretty meh about lists.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
JustNoPoint at 7:06AM, Oct. 8, 2008
(online)
But the more unique people hitting your comic the higher the ranking.

Which can make it easier for DD members to find the comic, which also means more potential commenters.

I only have 1 mirror at the moment and I haven't did much with it yet. It's on my server. I started to make one on SmackJeeves but the site was really slow and I don't like their “myspace” way of creating page templates.

BTW Manga alone isn't powerful enough as SJ, from what I saw you need Yaio manga to be a hit =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
mattchee at 8:39AM, Oct. 8, 2008
(online)
mlai
The problem with non-DD lists are that the readers are mostly not registered in DD, so they give you page hits but never comment.

To me, 1 good comment is worth more than 100 page hits. Which is why I'm pretty meh about lists.

True enough…

I started a standalone mirror site for my comic because of that– though I haven't gotten around to re-directing my list…eh… listings to the new site though, so its largely un-visited. But my reasons for doing it is to give non DD readers (which apparently I have some regulars) a place where they can comment/participate without having to sign up with DD. Comments really drive me, i get a little frustrated when I know there are readers out there, but I haven't heard anything from them. I really dig on the interaction.

I'm not so worried about ranking among DD (though its nice when my numbers are relatively good). I do, though, want to grow my audience beyond just DD members. Nothing against DD at all, but our membership is a fraction of the potential webcomic audience.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved