Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Using Paper Larger Than the Scanner
Mazoo at 8:40PM, Oct. 23, 2006
(offline)
Alright, I've always heard that working bigger is better, since you get to stick in a lot of details without losing them in the scanning process, but I'm a bit wary of trying out new paper in bigger sizes. I know you can scan them in section by section, but it's the putting it back together that scares me.

Does anyone have any advise on this?

Or what are the tips you have if you use this technique?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ozoneocean at 10:23PM, Oct. 23, 2006
(online)
You're looking for a size increase? Well I'd say saline implants are the way to go… oh, OH! PAGE sizes… Ok, I get ya.
It depends. Is most of the work digital or by hand? If most of the work you put into a page is digital, then it's best to just scan a normal page at a higher resolution, so the digital page comes out larger.

Scanning:
If most of the work is by hand (inking etc), then you want to work lager. When scanning a big page it's really good if all the edges of the page a perfectly square; i.e.: no funny angles! That way it's really easy to simply line up one side or edge with the scanner window edge each time you scan. The straighter your pages are scanned, the easier they are to match up!
Make sure the page is held in the scanner firmly during the scan and that the edge stays straight with the scanner: big pages can slip a lot easier, and you get a darkening toward where the page overhangs. Lastly, always make sure there's lots of overlap!
Joining
Joining them up in photoshop is easy. Just increase the canvas size of one of the scans and then paste in all the other scanned portions. Lower their opacity and then line them up. You should be able to see through the transparent pages via the overlaps where they line up. Increase magnification to make a perfect lineup. Tip: you can use the arrow keys to get the things jusssst right. Then trim of any parts that sort of grey out and get darker towards the overlap. Up the opacity to 100% and flatten the page!
There you've done it :)
That's the sum of my experience with scanning lage things.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Ferretshark at 5:15AM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
You're looking for a size increase? Well I'd say saline implants are the way to go… oh, OH! PAGE sizes… Ok, I get ya.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…I actually shot hot coffee out my nose in laughter when I read this! LOL. (You know how embarrassing it is to walk around with ice cubes rammed up the nostrils to keep nasal blisters from swelling?)
Ferretshark
Animator/published illustrator
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Knuckles at 7:28AM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
I've tried working with large pages larger than the scanner, but the way my scanner is, if the page sticks out of the scanner and I scan it, then it will produce a weird warped effect on the edge because the cover of the scanner didn't sit right on the paper… (if that makes sense).

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
ozoneocean at 8:24AM, Oct. 24, 2006
(online)
Ferretshark
I actually shot hot coffee out my nose in laughter when I read this! LOL. (You know how embarrassing it is to walk around with ice cubes rammed up the nostrils to keep nasal blisters from swelling?)
Hehehehe! :)
Knuckles
if the page sticks out of the scanner and I scan it, then it will produce a weird warped effect on the edge because the cover of the scanner didn't sit right on the paper… (if that makes sense).
Yeah, that's part of the ‘darkening" effect I mentioned. It happens more depending on how deep the scanner window is recessed. To combot that effect, simply use a lot of overlap between sequential scans of the page (when you move the page, scan some of the same bits you did before), that way you can trim off a lot of the warped, shadowy stuff at the edge. Heavy books on the scanner lid can also help minimise that effect, but you will get creases in your page if the window is too deep.

I’ve thought of another soloution just this second however: if you have a sheet of really clean glass, just put that on top of the scanner window and put your page ontop of that. I don't know if that'll affect the scanner focus, but it'll get rid of warping!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
booger at 5:31PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
I've thought of another soloution just this second however: if you have a sheet of really clean glass, just put that on top of the scanner window and put your page ontop of that. I don't know if that'll affect the scanner focus, but it'll get rid of warping!

omg thats an awsome idea!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:58PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
hmm I've been pondering drawing my pages bigger… (but then I wouldn't be able to secretly draw in class! T_T!!!) how about cutting each frame out and then scanning them one at a time and rearranging them in photoshop?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved