Media Megaforum

V for Vendetta
ccs1989 at 12:26PM, March 27, 2006
(online)
Hey, with a guy like that it pays to be a little obsessive. I guess I'll see the movie (when I have time) but I doubt it'll compare to the comic.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
HapyCow at 10:39PM, March 28, 2006
(offline)
The trailer was bad, but I fell in love with the movie. (my friend took me to see it after she convinced me it was good)

I am not a fan of politics or government..or history, really. So it really is surprising how much I loved this movie! The whole mystery surrounding V..and…anything to do with V kept my eyes glued to the screen. I fell in love with him after his long V monologue! :o And come on, cooking in an apron? That was cute.

So I'm one of those hopeless romantic types and that may be the true reason I love the movie, but…all in all, the story was interesting even if it did get a bit slow at times, and all the actors were great in my opinion! I forgot about Natalie being in Star Wars. (oy, those new movies just didn't do it for me. Not that I was a huge fan of the old 3 anyway) The scene where Evey breaks down was very convincing!

The action was fun, of course. I liked the few Matrix moments in the film. And the explosions..can't forget those. Who needs 4th of July after this movie, sheesh. I got my fireworks fix.

I'd give it a 9/10! Go V!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
jalford at 2:42AM, April 6, 2006
(online)
Great movie! I dunno what Moore was all pissed off about. He just seems to throw a temper-tantrum everytime some movie director decides to skew a little off from the original version of the comic. I understand League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen had a few things different in the film than in the comic like Tom Sawyer, but ultimately wasn't all that far off from the comic. Constantine on the other hand was totally out of field from the original with “Ted” Theodore Logan whoa-ing it up.

In V though, you could tell the parts of the movie that were spread out into different issues. Really crafted to have a comic book-type flow to the storyline. The Benny Hill bit was hillarious too. You couldn't pull that off with Monty Python logistics!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
marine at 1:57PM, April 6, 2006
(offline)
It wasn't as much like the matrix as I thought it was going to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Nathan Graves at 11:04AM, April 8, 2006
(offline)
FinbarReilly
I knew he wrote it, silly…

Side Note: He did get a credit for the characters, so I'm sorta curious how it compares the comic version…

FR
It has some pretty importnat differences, this because of Alan Moore not even supervising how it was going.
First, they show V as a Freedom Fighter instead of showing him like an Anarchist, like in the Graphic Novel.
The original year in which the story took place in the Grpahic Novel was 1997, they obviously changed it becuase now that year is ancient history.
In the GN, you see V more Crazy than in the movie, and they explain a lot more things about the Larkhill incident than in the movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
SpANG at 1:15PM, July 8, 2006
(online)
bumped, because this is STILL the best comic book movie of the year. Maybe even the best movie I've seen all year. :-D

I just watched it again. Still excellent.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
marine at 12:05AM, July 9, 2006
(offline)
SpANG!
bumped, because this is STILL the best comic book movie of the year. Maybe even the best movie I've seen all year. :-D

I just watched it again. Still excellent.

Bullshit dude. I call extreme bullshit.

X-Men Three all the way.

Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaught, bitch!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
SpANG at 11:49AM, July 9, 2006
(online)
I'm suprised that marine doesn't like it. It's all about Anarchy, and rebelling against society and it's facist laws.

Maybe he's more of a conformist than we think. :wink:

Ian Jay at 2:18PM, July 9, 2006
(offline)
You know, I got to see this movie the other night. And honestly, I think that you will only fully enjoy V for Vendetta (the movie) if you haven't read V for Vendetta (the book).

I wasn't so ticked off by the pruning of subplots– Helen using Creedy as her political sex-slave, Prothero's doll collection getting torched, Adam Susan's freaky-deaky fetish for the Fate computer– because, well, it was a movie, and some elements needed to be streamlined. I even didn't get bugged by the fact that the word “anarchy” was mentioned only once in the entire movie (and by the bad guys to boot!).

No, what I was ticked off about was V falling in love with Evey. The moment he said “There are four hundred and seventy-nine songs in this jukebox, and I have never danced to one of them”, I thought, uh-oh. V wasn't supposed to love; in the book, his experiences at Larkhill burned away all of his mortal concerns and worries and fashioned his mind into a white-hot spear of idealistic vengeance. His relationship with Evey should have only been limited to passing on his methods and mindset. But at the end, where he goes, "The truth is, Evey… I love you!“, I was so angry I almost walked out of the dollar theatre right then and there. (Truth be told, I couldn't walk out, since my feet were adhered to the floor by spilt Mountain Dew and Jujubes, but still.) After reading the ending in the book, the movie's ending seemed like a cheap, gooey Hollywood ending, and I could do nothing but roll my eyes in exasperation.

However, if you haven't read the book, the whole V-Evey relationship thing will seem perfectly normal, and even kind of sweet. So if you haven't seen either… I'd recommend seeing the movie first, then reading the book. The movie will give you more of the crash-zoom-bang special effects, but the book will give you an ultimately richer and more thoughtful experience.

~IJ

PS: In the credits they listed the movie as ”BASED ON THE GRAPHIC NOVEL V FOR VENDETTA ILLUSTRATED BY DAVID LLOYD AND PUBLISHED BY DC COMICS." No Alan Moore mentioned anywhere. Have a look and see.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
SpANG at 2:32PM, July 9, 2006
(online)
Ian Jay
You know, I got to see this movie the other night. And honestly, I think that you will only fully enjoy _______ (the movie) if you haven't read _______ (the book).
The same can be said for a number of films. I didn't read the comic, and I thouroughly enjoyed it. :D

Ian Jay
PS: In the credits they listed the movie as “BASED ON THE GRAPHIC NOVEL V FOR VENDETTA ILLUSTRATED BY DAVID LLOYD AND PUBLISHED BY DC COMICS.” No Alan Moore mentioned anywhere. Have a look and see.

FOUND THIS.
Alan Moore has distanced himself from the film, without having seen it. He asked for his name to be removed from all promotional materials, because he had no involvement in writing the script or advising director James McTeigue.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved