Debate and Discussion

Va tech shooting
subcultured at 11:36AM, April 16, 2007
(online)
I can't believe there's another school shooting. what is up with people?
http://test.denverpost.com/movies/ci_5678667

Article Last Updated: 04/16/2007 12:23:14 PM MDT
Someone
Blacksburg, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech today, killing at least 21 people and wounding 28 in the deadliest campus massacre in U.S. history. The gunman was killed, bringing to death toll to 22, but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
isukun at 12:47PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
We should start a betting pool based on how long it takes Jack Thompson to try to capitalize off the incident.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Alexis at 12:49PM, April 16, 2007
(offline)
This blew my mind. I just graduated from JMU last year, I still have friends at Tech. Something about Blacksburg man, anyone remember about 4 years ago when a bunch of kids got moshed out a window and one died during a hardcore show there?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
skoolmunkee at 1:14PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
isukun
We should start a betting pool based on how long it takes Jack Thompson to try to capitalize off the incident.

Well, you were too late by the time you posted that. :) Phelps too!
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:53PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
I just heard about it. When I heard how many people died, I was really taken aback. My dad brought up an interesting point, though: How did it go on for two hours when the guy walked all the way across campus?

I'm a little freaked, as that college is really close.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
ccs1989 at 2:13PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
AOL said 33 people were killed, gunman included.

But geez…this is terrible. You wonder if gun laws were stricter whether this guy would have been able to get a gun.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Aurora Moon at 2:26PM, April 16, 2007
(offline)
ccs1989
AOL said 33 people were killed, gunman included.

But geez…this is terrible. You wonder if gun laws were stricter whether this guy would have been able to get a gun.

I would have to say no. Theres always gonna be ways to get an gun, especially on the black market.

it would be the normal folks that wouldn't have guns, while it would be the crimminals that still have guns.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
skoolmunkee at 2:59PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
I just heard about it. When I heard how many people died, I was really taken aback. My dad brought up an interesting point, though: How did it go on for two hours when the guy walked all the way across campus?

I believe the first incident was in a dorm and people didn't quite realize what was going on at first. Later on the place was chaos.

The informed news is that the guy found his ex-girlfriend in bed with a guy and killed them both, which set him off, but I'm doubtful whether that will turn out to have been the case. At any rate he had a lot more wrong with him than an unstable relationship.

The guy killed himself too, you have to feel for the people who won't even get the satisfying closure of him going to prison, or even getting killed by police.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
mlai at 3:20PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
I'm very glad he's dead, rather than everyone paying for his meals, cable TV, and weightlifting equipment.

(Tax day tomorrow.)

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Vagabond at 7:56PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
I think most people at VA campuses will agree that today was just… strange. I mean, most of the people that I graduated with went to Tech; hell, I would've gone to Tech if Blacksburg wasn't so far away compared to the rest of the universities. I lucked out that none of the people I know were involved, but… damned if this doesn't put things in perspective and make you want to stay in better touch while you still can.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
SarahN at 9:34PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
What a waste. As always.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
isukun at 11:44PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
How did it go on for two hours when the guy walked all the way across campus?

They put the school on lockdown for a while and then lifted it under the impression that it was an isolated incident and the students would be safer in class.

The informed news is that the guy found his ex-girlfriend in bed with a guy and killed them both, which set him off, but I'm doubtful whether that will turn out to have been the case.

The news seems to have a lot of theories, but most of it is based on rumors they've heard from students. Everything seems to point o some sort of domestic dispute possibly being the trigger, though. I think the popular word now is that the guy went to the dorm looking for his girlfriend and instead got into some sort of dispute with her roommate and one of the RA's and then later went to look for her in the academic building. Until there is official word, though, there's no telling what the truth is.

Theres always gonna be ways to get an gun, especially on the black market.

You really overestimate the accessibility of the black market. It's not like logging into blackmarket.com and ordering for home delivery. Most average Americans wouldn't even know where to begin looking for an illegal firearm. What's more, in situations like this, you also have to take into account the area. Blacksburg isn't exactly a major metropolitan area. Virginia Tech takes up half the town. I can't imaging the criminal underground is a major element out in the middle of nowhere in Virginia.
lothar at 5:07AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
yea, but if all the other students had been armed with their own wepons this guy would have been killed before he got to number ten , i'm sure of it !!!
this is sure to be used by gun control advocates , but gun control is a fools paradise !!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ozoneocean at 5:24AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
More innocent civilians die weekly in bombings in Iraq and Afghanistan, so the numbers in this case are irrelevant if we're talking about tragedy: every innocent civilian death is a tragedy.

As to arguments about gun control: HELL YEAH

Are you so fucking silly that you think you could cause that much destruction that easily any other way? Don't be an ass! You can not kill over 30 people and wound many others in any other way unless you have some kind of automatic weapon with a large capacity magazine or an explosive. Even the Auum Supreme Truth cult with their gas attack on the Tokyo subway only killed a THIRD as many as this single person has with a gun or guns. Do you understand that?

You can easily ban and regulate automatic weapons, we do it all over the entire planet with success! You're a moron if you think you need them or if you think not having them puts you at a disadvantage to criminals! An imbecile! Guns don't protect you against guns unless you're in the ARMY and you have a force of men with tactics and strategies to employ… apart from that you're just having a childish wet dream about Rambo.

I don't see why we have to explain to people time and again why automatic weapons are too dangerous for stupid civilians to play with… If I had my way all the people that want to own automatic weapons would either be made to join the military or be shot to death with them.
-saves it happening to the rest of us.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
kyupol at 5:39AM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Its not about guns my friends.

The gun is a mere tool. Just like a hammer. Just like a pencil. Just like a wrench…

It is about the MIND. Like what somebody who critiqued my art a long time ago told me. “Photoshop is just a tool… LEARN TO DRAW PROPERLY!!!”

It is about the MIND. Its about the hatred… that resides in the mind and spreads itself like a disease.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 5:58AM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Gun control laws aren't even that bad. Oh, we have to wait? I could be dead by then!
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
kyupol at 7:56AM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Ok now. A korean is the gunman.

Now all koreans and asians are terrorists!!!!!!!

Next time I find myself within 100 yards of school property, the threat level will be raised to red alert. And snipers will be deployed on the rooftops. Because I'm an asian meaning I'm a terrorist.

NOW UPDATING!!!
seanh at 8:37AM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Broken humans come in all varieties. I only hope someday we learn this. If anyone is looking for their worst enemy, they are advised to check out the mirror. It's a life's work just to vanquish that SOB.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
subcultured at 1:59PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
kyupol
Ok now. A korean is the gunman.

Now all koreans and asians are terrorists!!!!!!!

Next time I find myself within 100 yards of school property, the threat level will be raised to red alert. And snipers will be deployed on the rooftops. Because I'm an asian meaning I'm a terrorist.

no, people aren't that stupid anymore.
People don't rename french fries to “freedom fries” because they don't wanna be associated with the french.

or Sauerkraut renamed to “victory cabbage” because they don't want to eat anything related to germany
J
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 2:09PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, now we just have white people angry that they need to be checked at the airport, because obviously only Arabs are capable of killing people. We learned that from Columbine.
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:21PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
Huh. Today we went to the Holocaust Muesem in Richmond. Apparently, one of the professors who was shot was a Holocaust survivor.

Heh. My Dad has pointed out that for next few years, VA Tech should be one of the safest schools in the country because of this.

Also, apparently the killer was a loner who wrote very violent plays. At least that what my mom told me when I got home today.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 5:30PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Jack Thompson will now blame plays.
fern at 7:48PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
Now they're gunna start keeping track of the emos online.

Looks like it's bad news for Myxo and I.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 8:02PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
I watched this on the news for about an hour today, because I was interested.

His name was Cho (I think) and he was originally from South Korea. He moved to Virginia when he was in elementary school.

Apparently, for some reason, he was always a little mental. Always a loner, didn't talk to anyone. The greatest clue was an english assignment he did in 05. It was about death that resulted in chainsaws, and was extremely brutal and sadistic. His english teacher reported it to the police, and they didn't pay attention. They said he didn't have a criminal record, so they couldn't do anything about it. She wanted him to have counceling.

The kid's not emo; he's mentally disturbed. They interviewed his roommate, and the guy said he stalked girls after his girlfriend cheated on him. There was a girl even on the internet that reported him to the police, and nothing was done. After girls avoided him, he told his roommate he was thinking about suicide.

ALSO, there was another fact. He had no way of getting into the building he was going to without the correct key (he lived in another building). Someone let him in, reguardless of who he was.

This could have been prevented. He could have been arrested before it had happened. No one paid attention…

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
hat at 8:33PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Someone
This could have been prevented. He could have been arrested before it had happened. No one paid attention…
Virginia Tech treated the first shootings as an isolated event. They didn't know that there would be a second strike.

I gotta say, it's a weird feeling knowing that the gunman lived in the same town I live in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Priceman at 8:36PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
This is sad in more ways than one. However, the saddest part of it is that just like 911, Columbine, The Oklahoma City bombing, and numerous other events; it will be the main thing on people's lips for about a week or two (two months if they're lucky); then we'll celebrate the yearly aniversary once or twice and then it'll be old news. The fact that events like this are only popular as long as the media doesn't get bored of it shows how much they run the country. If it's being run on CNN or Fox News 24/7, we're all ears, but soon we'll move on to the next top story and the cycle will start all over again.

One more thing: Did I hear right when I heard that this started because his girl cheated on him? If so, wasn't she the first one he shot? I hate to sound like a dick, but that's a “Problem Solved” in my book. Why is it that people can't just take out/confront the source of their problems and let that be that? Why do they have to make sure 10 or 15 peeps die with them? Pathetic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
isukun at 10:52PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
ALSO, there was another fact. He had no way of getting into the building he was going to without the correct key (he lived in another building). Someone let him in, reguardless of who he was.

First of all, in the press conference they did mention that the dorms would open around 7AM. At that point anyone could get in. The first shooting was at 7:15. Even if the doors were still locked, the fact that he was let in really doesn't mean anything. Go to any college campus and the students let random people in the dorms all the time. You rarely know everyone in a dorm, let alone all their friends. All he would have to do is claim he was meeting someone in the dorm if someone didn't just let him in no questions asked.

If so, wasn't she the first one he shot?

I don't think it's been confirmed that the girl he shot was the one who cheated on him. In fact, the girl he shot already had a boyfriend who was taken into custody as the initial suspect before the shootings in the academic building.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:12AM, April 18, 2007
(offline)
You can say it could have easily been prevented now because you know what happened. If you didn't know that that exact guy was going to shoot up your school you probably wouldn't have done anything different. This is like in Columbine when they blamed Doom. I play it, are you going to call the police now? Besides, hardly anybody knew him so if anyone let him in they probably didn't know he was disturbed.

Anyway, I noticed he was obviously the only one at the school with a gun (besides people that came later) which proves that the argument against gun control to defend yourself obviously doesn't work because only the psycho murderer actually bothers to buy one. Gun control is your friend.
kyupol at 6:42AM, April 18, 2007
(offline)
***Since this relates to the topic anyway, here's a rant I made regarding this shooting…. (LONG RANT!!! May offend a few people. You been warned. :))

———————————–

Another school shooting. Wow. Its getting alot more common nowadays. And the latest one just broke the record. More than 30 killed.

Then everyone on TV busy blaming one another… blame the school officials, blame the inefficient security, blame the guns… like wtf. Sure you can confiscate every single gun out there. You can put all your surveillance cameras all you want. And pay for security to be so damn heightened.

That wont solve the problem. Thats just another bandaid solution.

To someone with killer intent, he will all get the means and find ways to put his plan into action. Somehow, security will be penetrated. Fine. search every student for guns. Big deal. If I was a determined terrorist, I'd just sneak in bomb parts one by one into the campus… then assemble… then boom. Bombs can be concealed in laptops, ipods, cellphones, anywhere. And the instructions to make them can be found in websites used by terrorists.

And if security will try to seize every electronic device in campus, students gonna complain about the campus being turned into a police state. Student groups will write tons of essays on the school publication argueing about freedom of speech and privacy versus security.

The problem lies in the MIND.

What is it with USA that people shoot up their schools there pretty often? Cmon. USA is the world superpower. USA citizens enjoy better lifestyles as compared to the rest of the world. USA citizens that are considered “poor”… are already “rich” in 3rd world standards. USA gangstas are among the most well-dressed btw. These people are from the hood… and tough neighborhoods… yet still manage to dress up well. And if you go to Tondo, Philippines (the equivalent of harlem, detroit, jane and finch), the gangstas wear faded shirts with holes, and beat up slippers. Those are the people from poor areas. They cannot afford to dress up like the gangstas in the USA.

What is it that causes hatred to build up in their hearts?

1) Is it the pressure in a fast paced school/work environment?

2) Is it the lack of discipline? Is everyone raised by parents who are just too damn soft to discipline their kids that they all end up being narcissists with an overdose of self-esteem? The criminalization of disciplining kids in short.

3) Is it the criminalization of forms of male-female contact… that only players (good manipulators) and badboys (sexual harrassment = jail. big deal. they've been to jail alot anyway) can get around?

4) Is it the fear of terrorist attacks? And the propaganda by Bush and Co… tryin to convince Americans to be AFRAID of terrorists soooo much. As if terrorists are the number 1 cause of death in America. Thats how Hitler got Germany to hate the jews btw. Make Germany afraid of the jews.

5) Is it the sliding over into fascism? Patriot Act shit… Government surveillance… police state.

6) Materialism and Godlessness… More emphasis on outside looks and material wealth. Rich getting richer and poor getting poorer? The fuckin widening gap between rich and poor…

7) Bad racial relations among races.

8) All of the above.

9) Other.

What exactly?
NOW UPDATING!!!
subcultured at 6:58AM, April 18, 2007
(online)
Americans are innandated with solving problems with violence, it's just the culture.
the kill or be killed attitude, which is why the country is so prosperous.
but it's a double edge knife.
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved