Interviews

Vakanai interviews Rutger!
skoolmunkee at 3:21PM, April 11, 2008
(offline)
This interview is conducted by Vakanai!

Username: Rutger
Comics: Arthur King, Life as told by Rutger, Sketching Reality

What was your inspiration for Arthur King?

It started out with very little inspiration. I'd been reading webcomics for a long time and I wanted to do my own, but my art was less than shitty at the time. I tried collaborating with
artists, but that never worked out, so I decided to pick a style anyone could do, which was spriting. And along the line I got into the characters and the story, so it kind of developed itself. Plus I gt to show that even sprite comics can be pretty cool.

How do you approach a non-sprite comic like Life as told by Rutger differently than you do your sprite comic?

Not very differently. It takes a bit more preparation, but other than that I just make it up at the spot and get to drawing. I haven't done a story comic yet, just gag-strips and short one-shots, so not a whole lot is needed. I'd prepare way more for a story comic though.

Which comic style, sprite or non-sprite, do you prefer?

I prefer non-sprite, mainly because you can do whatever you want with the characters. Spriting is fast and easy to do, but the characters are always in the same position. It gives for a nice challenge, because you have to make them look like they're doing whatever it is in the comic, but if you need a completely different position, you'd either have to create a sprite from scratch or heavily alter the ones you've got. With ‘normal’ art, you can just draw your character any way you want.

If you had to choose, which individual strip would you say you are most proud of?

I think that'd be Life. Simply because it's been handdrawn from the start and has improved a lot, going from stick-figures to little people. I still have a lot to learn, but Life has helped me develop my style a great deal.

What kind of comics do you like to read in your spare time?

All kinds. Webcomics, of course, both Drunkduck and ‘external’, and basically anything that's printed with pictures. I read a lot of American comics, a lot of manga and a lot of European comics.

Do things from your life influence your comics? And if so, in what ways?

They sometimes do. Especially in Life. Some jokes or situations are based off actual happenings, or things I talked about with friends. When Life first started, it was all about stuff I found in the newspapers or on the internet. And of course, the main character is basically a tiny rendition of myself.

Do you have any plans to start a new comic once Arthur ends?

I always have plans to start new comics…that's why I'm running three at the moment. It's too bad I'm real busy with work at the moment, I haven't gotten the chance to update any of them. Plus I'm not even sure Arthur will ever end. He's been on a break, but I'm working on his return to at least finish the quest he's working on, but after that, who knows. Regardless, I've been planning a story comic for a while now. I haven't started on it yet simply because my art's not good enough just yet, at least in my own opinion. But when I get there, I'll definitely work out this idea.

How do you like assisting with Fridge Pals?

Nowadays I'm the main artist for Fridge Pals. NLTC handed it over a while ago since he didn't feel like it anymore, and ever since I've been the one in control. As I said before, it's just too bad that I haven't found the time to properly draw an update. I love drawing FP though. I can do whatever I want with it, and it'll still be the same coke-can.

Will any of your characters ever find true love?

Who knows. I know that Life's Rutger is trying to win Lynne's heart, but last time I saw him he was going to hit on her. With a twig.

Is there anything you would like people to know about you?

I don't think there's anything of relevance. Although…well, I'm single. ;)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
amanda at 4:21PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
rutger
well, I'm single.
Don't take Lil Guy's dating tips. Hitting girls with sticks is generally frowned upon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Vakanai at 6:46PM, April 12, 2008
(online)
In case anyone wants to know, my inspiration for the questions I asked was…
Okay, so I pretended I was a genius. And the questions came from that. I tried my best Einstein impersonation and everything!
Well, this was all after I read a good deal of Rutger's stuff. Pretty funny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Rutger at 1:44AM, April 14, 2008
(offline)
Heh, wow, I forgot half of the things I answered. Awesome.

K.A.L.A.-dan! rutGAR desu!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:14PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon