Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Vertex Style
Habilis_Orian at 7:10PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(offline)
Does anyone know how to make regular line-art and turn it into vertex/cel-shaded style? If you don't know what I mean check out Mac Hall comics. Thanks in advance to whoever helps me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
wolfgang at 9:57PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(offline)
any links or anything?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
isukun at 7:05AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
You could always check their info section for a breakdown of how Ian does it (or at least how he used to).

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
mykill at 8:04AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
Looks to me like illustrator work. Though you COULD do it in photoshop too.

Simply draw your comic in pencil, scan into computer - and DO NOT INK, DO NOT USE PENCILS. Trace the shapes in pure color. Trace the shadows and fill them in a darker shade of the same color - flat color. Use an ‘ inbetween’ color if you want - to soften the transistion a little.

Cell shading: 1 shading layer, 1 highlight layer. keep it simple. Mac Hall style - borders established by edge of color - NO LINES.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
ozoneocean at 9:08AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
Yeah, like Mykill says, just play around in Photoshop. It doest look too hard really. The thing that stands out is that it doesn't have any outlines. It's as simple as that. The colours are just flat shape selections with the occasional blurry bits. It looks striking, but it's not complicated: scan your penceling and recreate it with coloured shapes.

Actually, Flash is probably a much better tool for getting nice shapes. It's a lot more intuitive and versitile than illustrator.

It's good to experiment with good styles like that, but in the end it's best to find your own fun thing ^_^
-That's how it goes with that kind of work. If you're doing manga or American comic style then it's fine to stick with another artist's look, but that Mac Hall web comic style is meant to stand out… (although not too much :wink: )

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
isukun at 9:27AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
It's a lot more intuitive and versitile than illustrator.

I can't agree with that. Some elements are more intuitive (fills), others are frustratingly less intuitive (editing lines and curves, keeping line width consistant over different zoom levels, line smoothing and snapping). In terms of versatility as a drawing tool, Flash doesn't even come close to the kinds of things you can do with illustrator. Less complex and fewer brushes, less filters, less effects, no gradient mesh, etc, etc.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
mykill at 10:42AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
Well, Flash does offer a way to work with vector art that FEELS similar to how you might work with a bitmap. So if you have NO vector art experience at all, drawing in flash may provide a shorter learning curve.

That said, I have learned Illustrator and it is both more powerful a vector art program, better behaved as a vector art program and offers the best bezier curve handling, the thing that defines a true vector art program.

I don't draw in flash - I import illustrator art into flash.

Comparing flash to illustrator is like comparing apples to oranges. If you want to compare macromedia to Adobe (pretending that Adobe didn't BUY Macromedia - they did) - the comparison is Freehand to Illustrator.

For pure graphics, illustrator is infinitly more versitile than Flash (Tho flash provides better streamlining than IllustratorCS). Of course Flash can make a bandwidth efficient animation with audio and programmed interactivity.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
ozoneocean at 10:51AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(online)
Well, like Mykill says I meant in terms of staight out drawing really. It's much easier to pick up.
Of course I use Illustrator for all graphic art work, all text work etc. But Illustrator is more of an expert tool. If I was just wanting to use a vector program for simple freehand comic work I'd use flash: it's nicer for that sort of thing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved