Debate and Discussion

Viddy-o Games and the Court
DOUK at 1:03PM, July 12, 2009
(online)
I wonder if this is a dead horse, I haven't seen any debates on this. But many you all have talked about this at some point of your teen/adult lives.

The problem with today's court system…. well, one of the problems with today's court system is the lack of knowledge of video games. You've all seen the stories about kids who killed their parents, and blamed a game. Or even worse, they do something bad, not necessarily killing, and then later blame a game. Like *snaps fingers* oh! That's right! The vidja game made me do it!

I don't wanna get this into a discussion about the links between violent games and violence, but more about how the court is plays the part of that old man who hated anything invented in the last 20 years. They take any game-related defense and try to make them self look better by saying “I think games do this to young kids.” And its always the same business, “They INMPRINT into a kid's mind about WOMEN and DRUGS and GUNS and ONE-UP MUSHROOMS”. The lack of educatioin in video games in the media is shocking. why don't they get a REAL expert on it right now? What the hell are they waiting for?
———————–
Kid Kills Cat in Name of GTA

Bob Boberson, age 17, was arrested for killing 30 cats in his home on April 31st. He was seen playing GTA when he was arrested, and later claimed that the same game made him do it.

*Screenshot of Fallout 3* -GTA, a game were you get points for killing cops, stealing cars, and raping women.-

“I killed the cats because it seemed cool to do on GTA, there's one part that teaches you the fastest way o kill a cat and sell it for money. Money in the game is important, you can buy a lot of things like more guns houses, and hos.” Says Bob. Its said that X% of kids who play violent video games are also prone to swearing, abuse, and general na'erdowellness.
————————–
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Orin J Master at 2:09PM, July 12, 2009
(online)
y'know, if you replaced “Cat” with “hooker” i could believe it.

regardless, it's just a strawman for people to stick pitchforks into to cover up for BAD PARENTING. really, they got a bad idea off a videogame? wasn't it you who bought the games, then left them to play the games without checking them for acceptable content yourself, then decided to never bother with the detail of explaining the difference between the game and real life? isn't the entire shortcoming here your fault, you shitty, shitty parents?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
El Cid at 3:31PM, July 12, 2009
(online)
I remember when the Columbine shootings happened my teacher went into this big rant about how the shooters learned how to use guns by playing Doom. I mean, seriously, DOOM?! You don't even aim the gun in Doom; you just line it up vertically with the target and hit the “Kill Stuff” button! They learned how to shoot guns by shooting real f—ing guns! And their parents apparently didn't think it the least bit odd that little Eric and Dylan would rather be out blasting the living hell out of bowling pins with uzis in the backyard than socializing with their peers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Aurora Moon at 4:14PM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
I think the reason why we haven't had an debate thread on this yet is because nearly everyone here have played video games, and therefore agree that it's pretty much stupid that anybody could blame video games.

And well, it gets old pretty fast when everyone agrees. ;)

I'm with everyone here who say it's just plain bad parenting.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Sea_Cow at 4:38PM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
Oh yeah, these kids who kill people need to lay off of video game companies and make their parents take the blame for it. Is that what you're saying? Some people, even if they're troubled teenagers that everyone wants to make themselves feel sorry for, are just fucked in the head. It can't be avoided. I mean, I agree that video games shouldn't be beaten up the way they are, they probably work as an outlet for most violent children, but how would you feel if you spent your whole adult life trying to raise an inherently antisocial child as correctly as possible, only for them to go shoot up their school and you end up getting the blame from all the little internet people.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
DOUK at 6:27PM, July 12, 2009
(online)
Sea_Cow
Oh yeah, these kids who kill people need to lay off of video game companies and make their parents take the blame for it. Is that what you're saying? Some people, even if they're troubled teenagers that everyone wants to make themselves feel sorry for, are just fucked in the head. It can't be avoided. I mean, I agree that video games shouldn't be beaten up the way they are, they probably work as an outlet for most violent children, but how would you feel if you spent your whole adult life trying to raise an inherently antisocial child as correctly as possible, only for them to go shoot up their school and you end up getting the blame from all the little internet people.

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying that there needs to be more video game experts working in law and not the “Experts” on Fox that really know no more than how to tie their own shoes. The problem of old people not being in touch with youngsters is making these kids blame games because they know they'll always fall for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Sea_Cow at 8:13PM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
DOUK
Sea_Cow

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying that there needs to be more video game experts working in law and not the “Experts” on Fox that really know no more than how to tie their own shoes. The problem of old people not being in touch with youngsters is making these kids blame games because they know they'll always fall for it.

I was not addressing you. Look at the three posts after your first and you will see what I'm talking about.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
isukun at 8:19PM, July 12, 2009
(online)
This isn't a problem restricted to video games. All new media goes through this phase. It's not like they're going to be polling your harcore 20-something gamer in the courts for their info on games, they're going to be looking at obscure psychological testing that supports their views. The problem is that the courts are always going to be centered aorund those people of the last generation who don't necessarily understand the culture of this generation. There is no real way around that because the people of this generation don't have the expertise, training, or maturity to be educating anyone on anything.

Plus, videogames, as the current misunderstood media format is convinient in the courts. Since there aren't any really conclusive studies, the courts can rule however they like. Amazingly, up to this point, they have been pretty sympathetic with the companies. Yes there are restrictions in place, but nothing worse than the restrictions placed on movies, books, radio, or magazines. The biggest advocate of banning violent and erotic games got disbarred for being a jack-ass, so while he may be loud, it's not like that many people listen to what he has to say. We could have been much worse off here than to have the biggest haters be treated like the paranoid idiots they are and the implementation of a rating system.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Aurora Moon at 3:33AM, July 13, 2009
(offline)
Iskun says it well enough– every media went though this kind of shit before video games even existed.

just take a look at how rock n' roll was viewed by the older generation when it was new at the time.

and sea cow– I guess we all worded this pretty badly when we basically said it was bad parenting. you're correct in that bad parenting isn't the only single cause for why a kid becomes so fucked up. But still the fact that bad parenting can cause those kids to go haywire is in so many ways true.

Most of those kids who blew up shit, shot people or did some other equally despicable things…. their parents had done the following:

1)Saw signs of their kids' bad behavior escalating, but did nothing to nip it in the bud. Most parents usually send their kids to a therapist, get them committed to get help and stuff soon as they see the first sign of destructive behavior. to do otherwise is just plain bad parenting, in my opinion.

2)Not talk to their kids at all about what's going on in their lives, or really get to know their kids. I know you're going to scoff at this one, probably… but think about it. once they get over being utterly defensive to the media, and get down to talking about their children… they'd always talk about the superficial things only. They'd say their son/daughter was doing well in school academically, but not about the actual friends he/she kept…that sort of thing. They'd always say he/she was always “well-behaved”,etc.
To me, that's a sign that they only got far as: “Are you doing well in school?” They didn't know that their kids were being bullied in school, whenever he/she kept many friends… that sort of thing. I know kids don't always talk to their parents about that kind of thing, but most parents would at least keep track of the friends that they keep.
A somewhat decent parent wouldn't just only ask: “How is school?” and then basically ignore him if he isn't acting up afterward.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Faliat at 5:47PM, July 13, 2009
(online)
Personally I think the news results in more people getting killed than video games. If not one or more people killing another person or group of people, then the depression of watching, reading or hearing it could result in you killing yourself.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved