Media Megaforum

Video Games to Movies--Yay or Nay?
MadMaddie at 6:43PM, July 26, 2006
(offline)
If you plan to post in this thread, please, for the love of Duck, STAY ON TOPIC. I have seen too many threads fall to pieces because people like to suddenly switch topics right in the middle of posts because debating and opinion-trading is a gas to them.

Alright, pretty wide-spread subject, opinion-wise.

Do you like it when video games are made into movies? Do you like video game movies at all?

For example, movies like Tomb Raider, Doom, and Resident Evil were all spawned from their video game proper. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children will not count as a video game movie in this discussion (even though it is) because it's CG-animated. This thread leans more towards real-live action video game movies like the ones I just mentioned.

Do you like it when Hollywood does this? Or do you not? Want to discuss them and your opinions? Debate? Then here's a thread to be posted in about four times and then abanoned soley for that cause.

Personally, I'm torn.

To me, almost every movie based on a video game has ripped the game to shreds, regardless of how good the movie was as a movie. I enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. movie from the 80s. It was a complete bastardization of the classic game, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it when I watched it that fateful night on the Family Channel some months ago. Perhaps it was because it was so ridiculously littered with 80s-appeal that captured my interest, or maybe because it was a decent movie. In my opinion. I was amused with it, so don't butcher me. But viewing the movie from a gamer perspective–a hardcore Nintendo gamer perspective, that is–the movie was a disastor.

Perhaps it's because I like to see my favourite characters come to life on the big screen that keeps me watching these bellyflops. And there's always room to improve on video game movies too.

Ah…it's so hard to say. This entire post contradicts itself, does it not?

With word of movies being made out of Metroid, Halo and Dead or Alive in the near future, it really tugs at my nerves: do I want these movies to happen, just for the sheer enjoyment of watching Samus do her thing on the big screen to satisfy my movie-goer/Metroid fan excitement, or do I not want to see these movies for fear of a favourite franchise being ruined in front of a large audience and scarring me for life?

Ah…decisions decisions…

Yay or Nay? I'll just play it safe and say “Meh”.
“I wore a Batman shirt to a Spider-man movie.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
SarahN at 6:53PM, July 26, 2006
(online)
Video game movies: Should be yay, but usually nay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
MadMaddie at 7:00PM, July 26, 2006
(offline)
SarahN
Video game movies: Should be yay, but usually nay.
Yes. The concept of a video game becoming a movie was originally so appealing and exciting–something to really look forward too. Now it's…just a bunch of mixed emotions due to the products of such video game movies.

Ugh. So sad (love Vampire Phantasm, by the way).
chezz at 6:47AM, July 27, 2006
(offline)
for me its more on nay video games are much better when they are played not when they are turned into movies, when they get turned into movies some parts change, usually the story
check out my new comic at http://www.drunkduck.com/Damned_Zan/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
phear at 7:53AM, July 27, 2006
(offline)
If it is done right, like its supposed to, with the develpoers working along side with the movie to make sure it stays true to the game, then the movie has a better chance of succeding. Take the Halo movie for example, they have seen all the shitty video game movies and wanted to make sure the movie matches the game. Bungie even wrote a Halo bible for reference fo the movie making. And I really have faith in the Halo movie… for now
But then there are the ones that arent even worth watching, such as Bloodrayne and the Doom movie was complete bullshit. The developers of the games just threw the movies out into hollywood and let the moviemakers hollywoodize it to pieces. Thats what ruins video game movie, the people who think it would be better to change major concepts in the story such as a virus instead of the original all hell breaks lose for Doom.
And I like the Mario brothers movie too, it was and interesting take on the mushroom kingdom. Besides how else are you going to make a movie based on a 2 dimensional character that shoots fireballs and jumps on goombas?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
MadMaddie at 1:28PM, July 27, 2006
(offline)
phear
If it is done right, like its supposed to, with the develpoers working along side with the movie to make sure it stays true to the game, then the movie has a better chance of succeding. Take the Halo movie for example, they have seen all the shitty video game movies and wanted to make sure the movie matches the game. Bungie even wrote a Halo bible for reference fo the movie making. And I really have faith in the Halo movie… for now
But then there are the ones that arent even worth watching, such as Bloodrayne and the Doom movie was complete bullshit. The developers of the games just threw the movies out into hollywood and let the moviemakers hollywoodize it to pieces. Thats what ruins video game movie, the people who think it would be better to change major concepts in the story such as a virus instead of the original all hell breaks lose for Doom.
And I like the Mario brothers movie too, it was and interesting take on the mushroom kingdom. Besides how else are you going to make a movie based on a 2 dimensional character that shoots fireballs and jumps on goombas?
Beats me. They never actually showed Mario or Luigi blasting baddies with fireballs. That kind of sucked. But it was cool when Bowser/Koopa became a dinosaur at the end. I was waiting the entire move just to see that.
Comicmasta at 3:01PM, July 27, 2006
(offline)
It depeneds on certain kinds of games, Spawn, super mario bros, Final Fantasy, ect. those would be good. I've also been hearing these bogas ass rumors of a Kingdom Hearts movie all done in CG

But to stay on the topic i will say Yay…..on certain games.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Inkmonkey at 5:18PM, July 27, 2006
(online)
I believe I've said this before, but…

The problem with these licensed films is that there's a guaranteed audience. There's no hurdle that has to be overcome; if a Halo movie comes out, then Halo fans are going to watch it. Bungie's already done the hard part of getting people interested in it. They would barely need advertising, just put a reminder on X-Box Live and you're set.

With that in mind, a lot of studio people simply don't care. They'll let a mediocre screenplay or bad acting slip through the net, because they're going to get paid anywyay. There isn't going to be any real struggle, because when you've got the right name up there, it doesn't matter how good the content is. Nobody's going to know if it sucks until they buy a ticket, right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
MadMaddie at 5:28PM, July 27, 2006
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I believe I've said this before, but…

The problem with these licensed films is that there's a guaranteed audience. There's no hurdle that has to be overcome; if a Halo movie comes out, then Halo fans are going to watch it. Bungie's already done the hard part of getting people interested in it. They would barely need advertising, just put a reminder on X-Box Live and you're set.

With that in mind, a lot of studio people simply don't care. They'll let a mediocre screenplay or bad acting slip through the net, because they're going to get paid anywyay. There isn't going to be any real struggle, because when you've got the right name up there, it doesn't matter how good the content is. Nobody's going to know if it sucks until they buy a ticket, right?
Very, very true.
Hguyver at 8:42PM, July 29, 2006
(online)
equinox
As long as Uwe Boll remains in the business, I say nay.

So True. I wanna say Yay, because when you first hear the idea of one of your favorite video games being turned into a movie you want to get really excited.

Problem is, past history has shown us that it doesn't live up to your expectations.

I suppose it really matters on WHO makes the movie and how much effort they're really putting into it.

So… I'm still going to say Yay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Terminal at 8:53PM, July 29, 2006
(online)
interaction does not translate well in film.

What's better, doing something, or watching someone else do it?

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Hawk at 9:43PM, July 29, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
FF: AC wasn't a good movie, guys. It was greatly animated, and had kickass fight scenes, but the actual writing and plot was godawful. So many holes.

Agreed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
SarahN at 9:47PM, July 29, 2006
(online)
Speaking of game movies, I've always thought that Diablo would make an interesting movie for some reason…if done right of course.

Are they still making Max Payne…? That seems kind of pointless. It was already like a movie by itself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
MadMaddie at 4:37PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
Hawk
Tater Salad
FF: AC wasn't a good movie, guys. It was greatly animated, and had kickass fight scenes, but the actual writing and plot was godawful. So many holes.
Agreed.
Thirded.

There's no denying that Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children had the potential to be a great movie but…no.

Sephiroth's lines were horrible too. Humourous, but…no.
MadMaddie at 4:38PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
SarahN
Speaking of game movies, I've always thought that Diablo would make an interesting movie for some reason…if done right of course.

Are they still making Max Payne…? That seems kind of pointless. It was already like a movie by itself.
Diablo's an MMORPG. i could see it happening. Game doesn't have any definite characters in it aside from the NPCs, so it would be flexible enough to mold into a movie.
Mimarin at 4:40PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
Uwe boll (should be pronounce whooble for comic effect) = Bad Video game movies.

they should be good but are bad.

BAD BAD BAD.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Inkmonkey at 4:47PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(online)
I think the best thing about Uwe Boll's movies is that House of the Dead did not feature an actual House
marine at 6:05PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
Well despite the ignorance of the first poster, claiming that the mario bros film was from the 80s specifically, Video Game movies are going to stay regardless of my opinion. Plus, no ones opinion here matters anyway, this is the internet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Hawk at 9:00PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(online)
SarahN

Yes, they recently (several months ago?) announced that they ARE working on a Max Payne movie. But I agree with you that it may be pointless. I mean, it's a fantastic story, but I feel like the movie AT BEST could only be as good as the game. But the game let you PLAY it, which is better, hands down.

On the positive side of this movie, it could convince them to make a Max Payne 3, which would please me to no end.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Inkmonkey at 9:13PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(online)
I think it counts as a “MORPG” (online multiplayer, but not quite massive). The thing about it is the main character doesn't have a set personality, so it wouldn't be hard to write for.
isukun at 12:23AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(online)
You would think the same would be true for Doom, but we all know how that turned out.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Hguyver at 12:48AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(online)
The movie really didn't follow the plot of the game at all though. It was basically a sci-fi flick through and through. At least the game had elements of fantasy with the gateway to hell thing.

I guess most screenplay writers need to find the very thin line of balancing between keeping to the game story and making changes for the movie. If you go too much in either direction I don't think it's going to turn out well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Inkmonkey at 9:10AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(online)
I saw a photoshopped poster for a Pong movie, but really it was just Cuba Gooding Jr. and Colin Farrel playing Ping-Pong, and I don't think that really captures the soul of “Pong”.
Jillers at 11:34AM, Aug. 7, 2006
(offline)
I agree that it should be yay but usually turns into “Dear God, I just spent 20 dollars on that peice of crap!”

… I personally recall after Spirits Within my friend and I going to the LA Machine Guns game in the movie theater lobby and poppinig in quarter after quarter cause we were so pissed off.

There are video game movies that are good movies on their own right - Mario Bros is a good example already said - but really tear apart the video game.

Others are just fun - the first Tomb Raider movie was really fun to watch.

I just get so sad when I hear about video game movies now - the expectations have been high before, but usually time fter time I've been burned.

It's a shame because good, solid video game based movies could be made if people ever even gave a damn about producing quality movies anyway - because you should stop going to movies and coming out saying “Wow! That was good!”

Good movies, furthermore, good video game based movies, shouldn't be a surprise. Especially video game movies, the source material's there… all it would really take is for someone who's played the game to write the script and direct the movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
stardusty at 3:14PM, Aug. 7, 2006
(online)
I've really enjoyed some, and completely despised others.
I liked both Resident Evils, the original Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, and I seem to be the only person in existence to actually really like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

But… Doom made me contemplate the point in living, and I seriously believe Uwe Boll is retarded. And although the Dead or Alive movie pretty much looks to be utter trash, my hopes are still high, and since I'm a huge DOA fan, I'm gonna see it anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Inkmonkey at 5:05PM, Aug. 7, 2006
(online)
I liked Final Fantasy: Spirits Within as well, but if I were to consider it from what I think a “Final Fantasy” movie should be, I would be sorely disappointed. It wholly failed to capture the feel of the series on any real level, and I can basically guarantee that the name “Final Fantasy” was added just so fans of the series would be more likely to watch it. Say what you will about Advent Children; at least it contained actual Fantasy.

As for the DOA movie; it will probably end up being a cheesy action flick that'll be relatively fun to watch (if you enjoy those sort of things), but I'm sure anyone who cares about the story in DOA will be sorely disappointed. Of course, even the creators of DOA don't seem to place too much importance on the story outside of Victory Movies and instructions manuals (DOAX?)…
Inkmonkey at 8:52PM, Aug. 8, 2006
(online)
I liked the original Mortal Kombat movie. I thought it captured the feel of the games very well (over the top, focus on action, nifty special effects, lots of action without too much story). Plus the Highlander made a very cool Raiden (though it was weird to see a white guy in such a clearly Chinese role).
Garwik at 8:10AM, Aug. 9, 2006
(online)
What we need is more movies based on board games.
Clue was awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Duck at 7:59AM, Aug. 14, 2006
(offline)
I've noticed in most videogame movies that they take what they love about the games, and completely mess it up.

Now there are exceptions (most previously named like silent hill and mortal kombat) but the bad video game flicks tend to be REALLY bad (street fighter anyone?).

It's kinda like the lotto, what you want, you most likely won't get. But when you get it done right, it's amazing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:47PM, Aug. 14, 2006
(online)
No one seems to have pointed out the obvious fact that movies and games have drastically different time frames they can develop the story in.

Video Games can take up 2 to over 100 hours without boring people to death.

Movies can only go on for so far 1 1/2 to 3. So, to expect so many similarities between the two is foolish.

I've only seen the following video game movies: Both Resident Evils, Both Tomb Raiders, Super Mario Brothers (although I watched it years ago and can barely remember it), Final Fantsay: The Spirits Within, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, and I Tivoed Mortal Kombat, so I'll watch that when it's done. But, actually, alot of them, I haven't played the games too, so I like them because I don't compare them to the games. It's impossible for a movie to be faithful a game it was based on.

Oh, and The Spirits Within actually did have a few things incommon with the games. Not a whole lot, but there were quite a few references.

I am looking forward to the Halo movie, and they also announced Warcraft and Metal Gear Solid, so I'd like to watch those. But since I actually played those games before seeing the movie, I might not like them as much as I should. The movies should be meant to be something in their own right, not something connected to the game (Isn't that what made the Resident Evil movies so popular? They didn't try and connect to the game world?). They shouldn't be compared to the game. Just like with movies based on books, the game is always better.

So, yeah. Yay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved