Media Megaforum

Video Games to Movies--Yay or Nay?
jake at 3:36PM, Aug. 14, 2006
(offline)
persoanlly i think so long as they stay true to the games ‘feel’ then i'm happy with them
Hello again
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Inkmonkey at 4:36PM, Aug. 14, 2006
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
The movies should be meant to be something in their own right, not something connected to the game (Isn't that what made the Resident Evil movies so popular? They didn't try and connect to the game world?).

Actually, the RE movies did attempt to tie directly into the games. The first movie was a near-direct prequel to the series (before Zero was released), and both movies dealt heavily with the origin of Nemesis (the major villain in 3). A few facts contradict things established in the games, but for that matter the games contradict themselves all the time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:21PM, Aug. 14, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
Actually, the RE movies did attempt to tie directly into the games. The first movie was a near-direct prequel to the series (before Zero was released), and both movies dealt heavily with the origin of Nemesis (the major villain in 3). A few facts contradict things established in the games, but for that matter the games contradict themselves all the time.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that the movies don't try to take place in the same world, and establish that it's a different universe. Unlike a few other movies that try to take place in the same universe. Resident Evil can build its own saga that appeals to both gamers and other people because it doesn't restrict itself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Inkmonkey at 6:32PM, Aug. 14, 2006
(offline)
I don't think it's so much that they're actively creating a new universe for themselves, I think that the writers didn't pay attention to all the fine details and the game designers refuse to make in-game changes to reflect the inconsistencies or new ideas from the movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 10:24AM, Aug. 15, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
I don't think it's so much that they're actively creating a new universe for themselves, I think that the writers didn't pay attention to all the fine details.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they purposely changed it from the games.
Some Wikipedia Article
What many people do not realize, is that the decision to make Resident Evil different from the games was made by Constantin Film and Capcom and not by Anderson - he simply obeyed the instructions that were given to him by his employers
Duck at 3:44PM, Aug. 15, 2006
(offline)
I'll agree that there are a lot of changes that are done because film and videogames are very different mediums (it's a lot easier to do some effects in games than movies) but sometimes, the companies (i.e. the film company's) will take focus off something, and move it to something else (i.e. street fighter focused on Guile rather than Ryu, unlike the games)

The problem lies in the changes (while sometimes nessicary) take away from the game.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
magickmaker at 6:43PM, Aug. 16, 2006
(offline)
I just have three thoughts on the matter.

1) The day they make a Harvest Moon movie would make me both hideously happy and wonderfully depressed. There is no way that movie could turn out well.

2) Most newer video games are almost movies in themselves… cutscenes now take forever. (Exagerating a lot, but still…)

3) If they made a movie based on the Sims, it would be very, very surreal.

As a whole, though, nay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 7:33AM, Aug. 25, 2006
(online)
I am bringing this topic back to life because since my last post on it, I have seen two more video game movies. Mortal Kombat and Alone in the Dark.

Alone in the dark really didn't affect me. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't good. It just seemed like one of those movies on SciFi only with better special affects and slightly better acting. I've never played the game, but I understand that it's a survival horror thing. The movie was clearly more of an action movie than a horror movie.

As for Mortal Kombat… Amazing. The plot is the probably the closest to the game as it was possible to get. And the feel of the game was definately there. MK is probably the best video game movie ever made.

Also, there are some movies that aren't based on games, but have them as a huge part of the plot. Tron was a great movie. It captured the feel of arcade games perfectly.

I was looking through some stuff, and I noticed that alot of sites had “worst 10 video game movies” but not one “top ten”. The thing with these movies is that gamers tend to focus only on the flaws, and that makes them seem terrible.
GhostBoy66 at 8:58AM, Aug. 25, 2006
(offline)
Some videogames to movies turn out good, like FF7:AC. But most live action ones suck. Badly.

DOA: The Movie? They should've stuck with animation. They chose sucky actors (or actresses, I should say) to play the girls. For the love God, Kasumi looks more like a Japanese cosplayer than anything! And plus, no Hitomi. That's gonna make it a sucky movie hands down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved