Debate and Discussion

Virginia Tech
Mister Spook at 8:30AM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
Virginia Tech Shooting

I'm actually surprised no one has posted about this - or if they have, I haven't seen it. I would be excited it that I get to open the post except its not fun news at all. I'm sure many of you have heard about the shooting at Virginia Tech. They're calling it the worst academic shooting case ever. That's bad. What's worse.. academic and shooting are starting to have a relationship with each other. The two words now have association previously unheard of and that means this is a growing problem. It's not going away and blaming video games or other scape goats isn't going to solve anything.

I work in a University. I'm a graduate student. My whole life, such as it is, is well rooted in Academia. This is scary. Does this mean every time I have to give a student bad news - about grades, etc. - I should fear for my life? Should I walk around wondering which nutball is going to flip out and start gunning people down on a beautiful Spring morning? I want to say no. I want to believe that students, educators, researchers - we're all there for the same goal. To perfect ourselves, to gain knowledge and experience to better our lives. But a tragedy like this casts doubt and it is something we should all think about.

I'd also just like to point out one thing my professor quoted last night in response to the shootings. I thought it amazingly appropriate and you've all probably heard it in one form or another.

" No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne, Meditation XVII
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
ozoneocean at 9:00AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
Two posts in Debate and Discussion address aspects of it, mainly focussing on guns. Predictably, but also justifiably. ;)
Va tech shooting and Right to bear ARMS.

Ah, good post though MS. Probably good to have a thread where people can just post reactions to the event without the need to argue…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
subcultured at 10:42AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
i'm gonna lock this, a couple of weeks ago people expressed that they didn't like these kind of topics on general section. so if it's something serious it's gonna be moved to debate and discuss.

the debate and discuss section isn't just for arguing.
you can also discuss in an adult manner.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
ozoneocean at 7:30PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
Sub, I'd just like to clarify:

People CAN talk about serious stuff in General, it's ok to post reactions to events that disturb or affect people, reactions to news events etc. But if they really want to debate them or seriously discuss them, then they should be posted or moved to D&D.

General isn't the Top Drawer, we don't have to keep it light and trivial :)

That said, you were right to lock this because there are already two threads in D&D addressing aspects of this subject and this post could quite easily fit in as part of the first of the two threads I linked to in my initial reply.

subcultured at 8:43PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
before I like to have serious topics on the general section.

This is what you guys said before in a thread…
ozone
Good idea, it's getting a bit serious for General and darkening the tone of the place a bit much.
Well spotted Hawk!
…They're not strictly in a good debate style, but they're great for discussion and we don't want general getting too “mean”.

hawk
I guess if one were to read an interesting article about abortion or find a Youtube video on gay rights, it would just be more sensible to bring it up in the Debate Forum than in the same section where we talk about pets and odd habits.

it's making me seem like the bad guy if you guys keep floping back and forth from what you've said about not having too dark of a topic on the general section
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
ozoneocean at 8:57PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
Those threads were about arguments. ;)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved