Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

vista
subcultured at 11:25AM, Sept. 9, 2007
(online)
i'm sick of these vista crashes for no reason

i want to go back to my XP. anyone know if i can just buy another harddrive and install xp there and take out the hardrive that i have with vista?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
acadia at 11:48AM, Sept. 9, 2007
(offline)
You could just reformat completely and reinstall XP. Be sure to backup all your important files, though. No need to buy an entirely new HD – just reformat.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
subcultured at 12:06PM, Sept. 9, 2007
(online)
i rather have a backup drive just in case, but how do i know if my current system can run xp?

i thought some machines can only run just vista
J
BlkKnight at 4:09PM, Sept. 9, 2007
(online)
If you can run Vista, you can run XP. You just can't downgrade to XP while Vista is present, so you would have to reformat or partition the drive.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
subcultured at 5:10PM, Sept. 9, 2007
(online)
but i can just switch hardrive.

i rather keep a hardrive with vista just in case i change my mind.
J
Enef at 8:57AM, Sept. 12, 2007
(offline)
I've had vista for going on 7 or 8 months now and i've never once had a crash.

What the hell do you people DO to crash computers? I've never had THAT much of a problem with XP either, yet i constantly hear people complaining about crashes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
spacehamster at 9:39AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
By all accounts, Vista is the last and final reason I needed to replace my current computer with a Mac. XP was okay, but there's no way I'm buying a machine with that POS Vista on it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Ninja Krow at 9:07AM, Sept. 16, 2007
(offline)
Ahhh the good old days when i was working at the Computer Support Center in Craig Colorado…

I remember when XP first came out. How Bugged out it was then, but the company that bill built also offered back copies of the older Operating systems right up to 98SE till XP was stablized.

With that in mind. I never buy a new Operating system form Microshift. untill a year has passed and the updates stablize the software to a resonable level.

I seem to crash systems alot more often then alot of my peers. Must be all the graphically intencive software I'm running destablizing my system. Still i can usally avoid a crash by taking a brake every 120-240 minutes at a time.

While I'de not Suggest getting another Hard drive to load XP back on while you have the Vista disk. I also understand that some computer come with Vista already installed and never give you a disk or a back up copy to reinstall the OS later.

Thats the messed up part of Operating systems… they claim almost bullet proof as a feature but I end up having top reinstall every 9-12 months as a routine mantiance, go figure.

What I would do if i was you. is actully get 2 Drives if you don't own the Vista disk. One is a Second permanante Storage drive, usally bigger in storage size as the booting drive. this stores all you want or need to keep no matter what. the seconds is smaller. Maybe 40gigs if you can still find a nice fast 40 gig drive. I did… This is your system drive.

On you Boot drive all you Operating system software goes here, Office, Photoshop, GIMP, 3DS Max or Maya goes here. No games and few if any sile like pictures or documents.

The bigger Storage drive keep an image of you OS drive and the Arcival backup of all you drivers and system Softwares. in a file then install all your games here and documents to be sent here that way if you ever have to reinstall your OS, you lose little if anything. sure you'll have to reinstall some software but it better then loosing you buisness plan or Arcived Image gallery.

If you have a big hard drive 120 gigs. I'de set two partitions. On 20gigs for the system and 100 for storage woorks the same way.

Lastly… Never ever Buy a new Version of an operating system off the shelf till after a year or so has passed since it release. I know it was hard this time becuase the lawyers are now running microsoft and they figured to lump everyone into VISTA by removing their old OS from the market. Well that was pretty bone headed of them.

still never upgrade you OS unless you really have to. I eventully upgraded to XP about 2 years only becuase my Hardware was Optimized for XP software. (98se actully made my system slower)

At the current moment, there is hardware that is optimized for Vista usage, but it's not totally locking out the usage with XP still. Use you best judgement, if you want to, there should be no problem with what you are planning on doing Subcultured, but don't take my word for it as I've never had to downgrade Operating systems yet. i have on others machines, but never for myself.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you…

@Enef: I guess it's all in what you do with you Computer. the heavier the usage the more unstable any computer gets. alot of people tend to push their computers to their limits. Me I'm constaly running my system Ragged, but I also let it rest in intervels to restabalize itself. It sound to me like you not pushing you system to hard at all. or have no real need to for that matter. which is fine, it great actully. your not the norm, but you just fine…

@spacehamster: While Vista is bugged to ungodly porportions, it's not to say it will always be that way. XP was just as bad when it first hit shelves. wait a year or two and it may actully be a decent OS. But sure Mac, go right a head. MAC are great Graphic Manipulations Machines. If I had my way I'de use Macs for All my 3D model work and a 2D tentures, but when it come to Games? Naw PC or my 360…

I guess it all in the eye of the beholder.
~ NINJA OUT!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
subcultured at 7:15AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
finally got most of xp running, i played all the games and turn on all the apps and no crashes. vista crashed on bioshock and i had to put it on window mode to stabalize it.

i might go back to vista a year or 2 years from now when they do fix it up. i still have the hardrive with vista just not plugged into the comp so it would be an easy switch. the only thing that wasn't working was the sound which was an internal card that only ran on vista, so i had to go buy a new sound card and it works like a charm.

and i do push my comp pretty hard i try to turn everything on when i'm playing games and want the best features. i'm running two 24 '' widescreen monitors off a 8800 gtx card
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
MediaMessiah at 4:35PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
there are some games that are made for xp that can be installed on vista, if i do this will it cause crashes?
A hot kiss is like a loose spiderweb, someones fly is gonna to get undone
A democrat is someone who would be a republican if he had the money
A blond can be bad at history and great on dates
A golfer yells“FORE”, takes five, and writes down three
A brassiere is a device to bring out a girls best points
A husband is a man who gave up priveleges he never knew he had
Bad Sex is an oxymoron

if any of these made you laugh, grin, smile, or any happy expression read my comic
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
subcultured at 8:50PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
maybe depends on which games.

bioshock and 2142 kept crashing on vista
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved