Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Vista Service Pack 2
JoeL_CQB at 5:17PM, Aug. 20, 2009
(online)
So I just installed SP2 for Vista, and it is supposedly make the computer run better like Windows 7.

Although I'm not experiencing any changes. I was wondering if you guys see anything different.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Ozoneocean at 7:39PM, Aug. 20, 2009
(online)
Vista SP1 and SP2 run ok regardless, they're certainly more solid than Xp SP whatever- I run Xp SP3 and Vista SP2 machines daily so I know. :)

I've no idea how well or how badly Win 7 runs…
Vista SP1 compared to Vista SP2, there's not much difference really. It seems to start some programs marginally quicker, that's all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
JoeL_CQB at 7:52PM, Aug. 20, 2009
(online)
yea, i'm not really experiencing much of a speed difference.
photoshop and itunes still take the same time to load.

checking on my task manager, it's using a lot less of my cpu.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Product Placement at 11:12AM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
I'm still using XP out of fear that Vista would be a bowl full of dung.

Have never managed to install that damn SP3 though. Every time I try I get an error message in the install progress and it aborts the whole procedure. I've tried the automated update and manually installing it but to no avail.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
DefaultNick at 11:11PM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
I dont know myself, but my friend who has w7 says that it requires a little less resources than vista sp2(about 50-70 mb less ram and less cpu usage). And it doesnt have that stupid toolbar.
I dont understand why did they release two similar os's at one. Makes me feel like Microsoft is desperate or something…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Splash Damage at 11:46PM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
everybody keeps saying Vista is so horrible. It has its downsides, but it's still better than XP. I haven't had any problems with Vista and neither has anyone I know.

DefaultNick
And it doesnt have that stupid toolbar.
I dont understand why did they release two similar os's at one. Makes me feel like Microsoft is desperate or something…

Microsoft isn't desperate. They have so many more customers than Apple and they always will, simple as that. They just want to get this this “bad” OS out of the picture because it's causing bad press. And you can tell just from those Mac commercials, Apple plays hardball.
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Ozoneocean at 11:47PM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
It's not, never was. The whole idea was basically a press scare crusade. A perfect storm of lame. Much like a reverse version of the love affair with the iphone.
DefaultNick
They are desperate, but didn't release two OSs at once. The release of Win7 is on a fairly normal interval for an OS release. The thing is that XP had a longer than usual time of availability before Vista came along, that makes the Vista interval seem more brief.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Product Placement at 4:24AM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
It's not, never was. The whole idea was basically a press scare crusade. A perfect storm of lame. Much like a reverse version of the love affair with the iphone.
Well… I'm also still using XP because I'm too much of a cheapskate to fork over money for a new OS.

It also took me a while to get XP (Used 98 until I made the switch). Didn't get it until after they made SP 2 which was the time when people stopped complaining about XP.

When I finally do make the switch, I'll probably jump straight over to W7.

Oh, and wouldn't you know it? Since I was complaining before about not getting SP3 up and running, I decided to try it again and this time it worked like a charm. Remember kids. If something's not working out for you, complain about it publicly. That way all the problems will disappear like they were never there, making you look that much more like an idiot.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
cirienphoenix at 8:30PM, Aug. 24, 2009
(offline)
The FIRST and ONLY problem I've had with Vista was caused by Service Pack 2. My computer no longer goes into sleep mode properly. If you go to the start/logo button and click to make it go to sleep the computer freezes on a black screen while still turned on. If you tell it to sleep on it's own after a designated number of minutes, it will. I have had several tech people look it over and no one can figure out the problem. What's worse, is this is a permanent problem. Even after going back to a previous restore point, the computer just can't sleep properly anymore. :cry:

But this problem is apparently, not common at all. And for those that do experience it, nearly everyone has been able to fix the problem some way or other. There's just the few unlucky of us…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
lba at 10:45AM, Aug. 25, 2009
(online)
My problem with Vista ever since I went to SP2, is how the amount of available memory I have seems to be dropping at a rapid rate. I had about 90 gigs of hard drive space at the beginning of the summer, and now I'm down to about 77 gigs. I've had at least 3 or 4 gigs of that disappear in the last two weeks. And I haven't loaded anything onto this computer in that time. The only thing I've done with it is surf the internet and watch the occasional movie on DVD, and I clean out the temp files and cookies on a regular basis. I can't figure out where the heck all that extra HD space went to.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Croi Dhubh at 6:53PM, Aug. 25, 2009
(offline)
The Vista problem shit storm was caused by hardware and software manufacturers not releasing their drivers fast enough nor efficient enough. Vista was fine and is fine as an OS. The issues are software and hardware compatibility because they are lazy assholes. Also, there was an ton of “Let's wait and just see” attitudes with the OS.

Windows 7 will see a few of the same issues on release that Vista did, but you'll see a huge turn around in attitude for it because the Press is full of fucktards.

I have had enough problems with with the programs I run in Vista that I have decided to just stick with XP until W7 roles out with a solid build. My games run excellent with XP and I need less ram to run them with insane frame rates (my graphics card helps, I'm not stupid) compared to when I was running Vista. I routinely saw up to 40FPS drops in some of the “older” games in which I got 100+FPS and up to 15FPS drops in the newer games.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Red Slayer at 9:00PM, Aug. 25, 2009
(online)
cirienphoenix
The FIRST and ONLY problem I've had with Vista was caused by Service Pack 2. My computer no longer goes into sleep mode properly. If you go to the start/logo button and click to make it go to sleep the computer freezes on a black screen while still turned on. If you tell it to sleep on it's own after a designated number of minutes, it will. I have had several tech people look it over and no one can figure out the problem. What's worse, is this is a permanent problem. Even after going back to a previous restore point, the computer just can't sleep properly anymore. :cry:
Use hibernation mode, it's not faster but it's waaaaay better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon