Media Megaforum

VOLTRON may become a movie
SpANG at 8:03AM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=43144

I think the thing that will annoy me the most will be the scores of clueless idiots that will watch the movie and claim that VOLTRON is a ripoff of the Power Rangers, when the exact opposite is true. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
ozoneocean at 8:19AM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
heh… Voltron ripped of something… It's not like giant robo cartoons are rare. Even ones where they're made up of other bots. :(

We have a surfeit of anime geeks that will tell you the exact genealogy of the whole robo force/team of young people in the same costumes of different colours phenomenon lol!

Battle of the Planets / G-Force / Gatchaman (whatever you call it) will always be my fave show of the style: “team of young people in the same costumes but with different colours who fight aliens and pilot giant war machines separately and one uber one all together.”

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
jalford at 4:31PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
Voltron was an American TV adaptation of an anime called Go Lion. It was later extended to include a totally unrelated anime titled Dairugger XV which is usually referred to as the Vehicle Voltron. There was going to be a third Voltron from the anime Lightspeed ElectroGod Albegas, but it never happened. Voltron was followed up in the 90s with an all-CGI show called Voltron: The Third Dimension which only focused on the Lion Voltron force, and never even acknowledges the existence of the Vehicle Voltron.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 4:40PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
Heh, nice one Jal, but I'm pretty sure SpANG's actually posted much the same stuff himself before now…

If you could tell me where the team of young people in colour uniforms comes from, I'd love to know that! :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
SpANG at 4:44PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
jalford
Voltron was an American TV adaptation of an anime called Go Lion…
Really? I thought it was a Japanese cartoon, only dubbed in English.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
isukun at 4:58AM, Aug. 12, 2007
(online)
If you could tell me where the team of young people in colour uniforms comes from, I'd love to know that!

It's a common trend in the super sentai offshoot of the tokusatsu genre of Japanese live action TV shows and movies. The genre became popular in the 60's with the sentai subgenre picking up in the mid 70's. Both Go Lion (Voltron) and Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuranger (first series adapted into Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) are part of the sentai sub-genre. Considering how unpopular Go Lion was in Japan, however, I really doubt any of the series that were adapted into the Power Rangers took anything from it.

Really? I thought it was a Japanese cartoon, only dubbed in English.

Technically it was for the most part, although censorship was pretty bad in places and whole story elements were changed, plus several episodes were made specifically for the US audience after the show was cancelled in Japan.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
jalford at 1:25PM, Aug. 12, 2007
(online)
Certain shows like Robotech, Battle Of The Planets(aka: G-Force), and Force Five were anime that was totally rewritten for American audiences. So as Voltron was originally a Japanese anime, it was redone as an American franchise. So like say when Devil's Due did their Voltron comic a few years ago, they didn't need permission from the Japanese lisence holders of either Go Lion or Dairugger to do it. They just went to World Events Productions.
Lonnehart at 12:34AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
If there's a giant robot show they should revive, it should be a little known show called “Mighty Orbots”. You can check out YouTube for videos of that show. From what I understand, it was a collaboration between American and Japanese producers (the same ones who brought us Thundercats, I think). Too bad Tonka sued them out of existance because they felt the Orbots threatened their toy line (funny that at the time the Mighty Orbots had no toys out at the time, and they in no way resembled the Gobots).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_jOr0Hjvg&mode=related&search=
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
jalford at 3:27PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
I actually found some DVDs of that old show. They never really did any toy franchise from that show, although I saw someplace had remodified an old Japanese giant combiner robot to look like the Orbots.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved