Media Megaforum

Voltron's back! (and more baddly dubbed than ever!)
jalford at 3:45AM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
I'm kinda glad Adult Swim is running Voltron. No word if they'll do the Vehicle team or not. I heard that the distributors at Media Blasters will be coming out with DVDs of both the Go Lion and Dairugger anime in Japanese with subtitles as well. The never did do Albegas though(aka: Voltron-3).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 4:43AM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
Isn't it funny what anime we grew up with?
For me it was Battle of the Planets, Starblazers (space battleship Yamato), Kimba, Speed Racer…
Then later on it was Voltron and Robotech.

A lot of kids would've got their start on Sailor Moon.
While for others it was Pokemon, Digimon and Yugio…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Obsidian at 8:57AM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
Definately a Sailor Mooner, with some bits of Japanese drawn series on Nickolodeon and early early Sunday mornings on the WB and UPN (stuff like Dragon Ball Z, oh and that show that looked similair to Voltron, only the show was hard scifi alien invasion/major war and they had the bird inspired costumes) that I had no idea were Japanese but it attuned me to, I suppose, that “style”. Anime is this amazing and mysterious medium when you are a kid used to regular ho hum animation.

Voltron never caught my interest back then. Maybe it will now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
kaminari at 12:22PM, Nov. 29, 2006
(online)
Obsidian
only the show was hard scifi alien invasion/major war and they had the bird inspired costumes)
That would be Ninja Team Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets, aka G-Force, aka Eagle Riders)
Heh, when I started reading that, Technoman was what I first thought until I saw the bird part. Technoman came on around the same time as SailorMoon, Dragon Ball, and Ronin Warriors, but it was never very popular.

In the early days of Cartoon Network before they started making their own shows and using anime to make up their lineups, they showed primarily the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons and one random old anime: G-Force.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
jalford at 2:03AM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
If we're talking early 90s syndicated, definately Ronin Warriors and Samurai Pizza Cats! Weird how they played one show after the other in my neigborhood. They had those crappy RW action figures, but nothing from SPC.
strong414bad at 12:28PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
I was a pokemon guy back when I was young. But I stopped liking it after the first 150. Looking back, I have no idea why I even watched pokemon. The games are good, though.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
Knuckles at 12:35PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(offline)
Is this the original 80s Voltron they're airing? or is it some new version? I'm still waiting to get the DVD set if/when it ever comes out >_<

King Zarkon FTW!

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
jalford at 1:29PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
The first volume of the original Voltron series is now out from Media Blasters/Anime Works.
kaminari at 5:18PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
I think Im going to hold out for the promised unedited, subtitled Go Lion version next year.
The dvd out now is just the edited dubbed version.
Pretty good deal though; 15 episodes for, well Ive seen it as cheap as $17.

Though they should have done it like Ronin Warriors where one side was the edited dubbed Ronin Warriors while the other side was unedited, subtitled Yoroiden Samurai Troopers. You could even flip the dvd covers to whichever version you liked best.

ccs1989 at 6:55PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
strong414bad
I was a pokemon guy back when I was young. But I stopped liking it after the first 150. Looking back, I have no idea why I even watched pokemon. The games are good, though.

I agree.

Voltron was always that show that came before the shows I wanted to watch. Never really got into it.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Aurora Moon at 11:47PM, Dec. 3, 2006
(offline)
First cartoons that I really got into was She-ra, Jem and the Holograms, G-force, Speed racer, re-boot….

and then I got back into TV again later on with Sailor Moon. I actually skipped some few classes in school just so that I could watch it, even at risk of dentition or my parents uspet at me. That was how totally I was into it. it was like I felt like I had felt like I had seen everything ther was to be in animation…even DBZ lost it appeal for me. but then I saw that first epodise of Sailor Moon, and I was totally hooked.

and this was before I discovered how actually BETTER the Japanese Verison was, and lost my faith in American Dubbing companies. granted, some dubbing is good out there.. but, sometimes they just don't do the job right.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Knuckles at 6:46AM, Dec. 5, 2006
(offline)
He-man and She-ra were my heroes :P
I still remember vividly running around my backyard whacking my friends with my plastic “sword” yelling ‘for the honor of Greyskull!’

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
jalford at 3:12PM, Dec. 5, 2006
(online)
He-Man was so gay. I mean like HARD GAY! It was the most gratuitous homo-erotic show ever done(aside from Hercules). Skeletor was always like, “You think your sweaty nipples can intimidate me, He-Man? You big boob!”.

She-Ra was worse. That archer dude was seriously creepy! Even creepier looking than Man-At-Armpits!
ozoneocean at 4:17PM, Dec. 5, 2006
(online)
Steady on old boy!
he was a MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
Aurora Moon at 7:23PM, Dec. 5, 2006
(offline)
jalford
He-Man was so gay. I mean like HARD GAY! It was the most gratuitous homo-erotic show ever done(aside from Hercules). Skeletor was always like, “You think your sweaty nipples can intimidate me, He-Man? You big boob!”.

She-Ra was worse. That archer dude was seriously creepy! Even creepier looking than Man-At-Armpits!

yeah. and people always went on about how He-man made more sense than She-Ra… but they haven't actually looked at any old videos and stuff of He-man to realize that it was on Acid. half of the episodes didn't really make any sense, and the comics on it was worse.

She-Ra was more coherent, even if it took on loads more Fantasy elements than the he-man series.

Despite all the gay innuendos and the acid trips though, he was truly the master of the universe and not many people can say that of many.

save for She-Ra, the Princess of the Universe.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
subcultured at 7:40PM, Dec. 5, 2006
(online)
i wonder why they don't have these types of commercials anymore.
he man and she ra talks to kids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YPHeRrmIA
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
subcultured at 7:41PM, Dec. 5, 2006
(online)
i like the part where they include “your minster or rabbi”
J
jalford at 12:01AM, Dec. 6, 2006
(online)
They were the worst at trying to give out advice on stuff. I don't watch an “action” cartoon for knowing what half the battle is! Voltron and Transformers were simple ol' fashion robots beating the shit outta each other. What more do you want out of an action show? Mr. T telling you to stay off drugs? F-that jazz!
ccs1989 at 6:04PM, Dec. 6, 2006
(online)
People in suits see things differently.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
MagickLorelai at 9:10AM, Dec. 7, 2006
(online)
You know, I've been watching Voltron on Cartoon Network, and some of it is the most cracked out, sexist stuff I've ever seen. The princess is always getting everyone into trouble, the heroes are constantly belittling one another and then acting like they never said anything hurtful, everyone is voiced so horribly, and the dialogue is terrible.

…So why do I keep watching it? I guess I get my Sh**s and giggles out of something that would've entertained the hell out of me when I was little.

In this thread, people've been mentioning shows that make me feel both young AND old. I never saw the classic anime that was released when I was too little to see it. As for Sailor Moon and DBZ, I didn't get into them until long after they'd become popular. Sailor moon, I hated the dubbed version, but I admit it, I loved the transformation sequences(I'm….v.v I'm a shoujo fan…). I have to get my hands on the original japanese version. DBZ, I'm kinda on the fence on…I was never entirely into it.

Pokemon, I watched a few episodes and got tired of it. Yu Gi Oh, I never watched. Imagine my surprise when I saw it explode into every arena of media. o.o

Adult Swim has actually introduced me to a lot of anime that I normally would not have been able to see; I have no connections and no money…xD It may be edited, dubbed, and limited, but I'm still grateful that it's out there.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
kaminari at 12:57PM, Dec. 7, 2006
(online)
MagickLorelai
Adult Swim has actually introduced me to a lot of anime that I normally would not have been able to see; I have no connections and no money…xD It may be edited, dubbed, and limited, but I'm still grateful that it's out there.

Thats why I love to download non-licensed series fansubs.
Not only is it free (and they consider it legal for non-licensed anime unless the companies give them a cease and desist order), but you can catch many different series BEFORE they hit the American market and become super-ridiculous popular. Some great ones never make it too, but you can still experience them.

ccs1989 at 8:26PM, Dec. 8, 2006
(online)
I still can't understand why Full Metal Alchemist became so popular. One reviewer even said it might be the best anime ever.

What? They're overlooking great works of art like Paranoia Agent and Ghost in the Shell to talk about a show like FMA being the best?! They even called it “thought provoking”.

This is one of the reasons why I am not a rabid anime fan anymore.

subcultured at 9:12AM, Dec. 9, 2006
(online)
i stopped watching anime after i learned how formulatic and the constant use of static images
J
isukun at 1:50PM, Dec. 9, 2006
(online)
i stopped watching anime after i learned how formulatic and the constant use of static images

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell…

Actually, I find there is a mix of series which fit that description and series where the animation studio is actually trying to create something decent. There has been an increasing number of well animated and written series in the last few years. The problem is that they tend to be the series that fall under the radar. They don't have the multimillion dollar merchandising campaign to back them up, so they rely on their ability to entertain with an original story and some incredible animation. While this makes them better series than the Pokemons, Yu-Gi-Ohs and so forth, you won't see them heavily marketed due to their limited potential as product pushers. Most are also pretty short, which makes them less appealing to networks in the US. A 270 episode series sells a heck of a lot more advertising space than a 12 episode series. Not to mention, with its own line of toys, many longer running shows end up advertising their own products, which is guaranteed revenue for the stations.

Any really good animation from Japan these days you aren't going to find on Cartoon Network.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
kaminari at 1:59PM, Dec. 9, 2006
(online)
Im in love with the Death Note anime right now.

jalford at 12:41AM, Dec. 10, 2006
(online)
Amen! Death Note is the SHIZIT! The movies are cool too.

I recently came across a really old copy of the Voltron-Third Dimension(the 90s CGI American sequal)series on VHS. Jesus Pieces! This thing was horrible! The CGI for even back then was bad. Most any made-for-TV computer animated series sucked aside from most Mainframe shows(i.e.: Reboot, Beast Wars), but this one was really bad! It was like “Voltron vs. Babylon 5” because he didn't fight giant robots/monsters anymore, just starships. Some of the original voice actors came back, aside from Tim Curry as Lotor which for me is the only saving grace on it, and Billy West(Stimpy)as Pidge. No chance of this heep-o-shit being put on DVD.
isukun at 5:10AM, Dec. 10, 2006
(online)
I watched a couple episodes of the Cg show and it was pretty awful. Even Billy West didn't seem to be all that inspired during that one. I also loved how everyone couldn't stop moving. Every line of dialog was accompanied by way too much motion, even when the characters were in their lions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
jalford at 1:35PM, Dec. 10, 2006
(online)
Two of the main tactical flaws on Voltron. One was their instant need to have the lions miles away from the castle whenever the Doom guys were attacking. Some of them were either way out in the desert or something. Why didn't they just park them at the castle? To cheap to pay for valet?

The other of course is why don't they just have Voltron stay “formed” all the time. They're initial attacks in just the lions never really work when the Robeast attacks, so then they finally just waist an extra 2 minutes of airtime actually forming Voltron. Just leave it assembled in the first place.
ozoneocean at 12:53PM, Dec. 11, 2006
(online)
Fair enough Jalford, but you forget: even Voltron's normal attacks were useless. The only attacks that ever workd were the finishing moves… Most of the time he formed a big long stupid looking energy sword, then later he got another finishing move or two didn't he?
-Anway, they should have had big Voltron formed up all the time and not use any other weapons except the sword ^_^

I saw that crp CG series, it was shameful… The constant movement reminded me of the repetitive animation in He-man. They had the same kinds of “too muscley to move like a real person” sort of movements… Oh and a bit of the Power Rangers hyperactive retarted child on cocain type movements in there as well.

I'm so glad the Robotech deal fell through. It was going to go exactly the same way… Oh such a huge boom in extremely bad CG back then. Thank god for Reeboot.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
subcultured at 1:22PM, Dec. 11, 2006
(online)
nah man, voltron's best move is the cabbage patch
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/gScmdPHoKKQ
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved