Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Wacom's new tablet intuos 4
Skullbie at 6:33PM, April 6, 2009
(online)

This thing is sexy as hell,
http://www.wacom.com/intuos/
http://intuos.wacom.com/americas/accessories.php

Small ones are 300$, medium is 350(may as well spend 50$ extra), large is 470$ and XL is almost 800$ :P

I'm getting a medium for my birthday, anyone else getting one?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Custard Trout at 7:08PM, April 6, 2009
(offline)
My keyboard is coated in drool now. Tonight, my bed will be soaked in tears, brought on by the fact that I can't afford one of these.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:48PM, April 6, 2009
(online)
Sure, I'll buy one once I'm selling 400 books a month :P

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
JoeL_CQB at 11:01PM, April 6, 2009
(online)
it's nice, but i already have a cintiq. although it really sucks for those who bought the intuos 3 like a month or two ago. I know several people who got the intuos 3 and are complaining about how they should have waited.

i'm wondering if the pen is compatible with the cintiq for 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity.
although at that point, would i even notice the difference, but it would be nice, especially a 6d pen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
ozoneocean at 2:07AM, April 7, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I got the Wacom newsletter the other week :)

Of course with my big Cintiq I'm not looking, but to be perfectly honest; even though those things look pretty snazzy, I'd have still stuck with my Intuous1 12x12. That worked perfectly and it was all I needed.

NOW, after using my Cintiq for quite a while and making a bit of use of the conveniently placed buttons, if I was going to go BACK to an Intuous I WOULD get one of those new models. The new button layout looks fantastic!

-The increased pressure sensitivity is more for show really though, you can't even tell that much between the 512 and 1024 of the current models. The reason for the increase is obviously to get people to buy the new models, but they also might be allowing computer tablet makers (who licence Wacom tech) to go up to 1024, so they need the increased levels to differentiate themselves from those products.

——–
Now of course you realise there'll be new Cintiq models along soon too :)
The Cintiq is great but the tech is a bit old really: The screens could be higher res, much better quality and cheaper, the button layout could improve a lot, and it could really use a touch-screen element!
-as well as a thinner bezel.
And maybe bigger than 21 inches. A 24 inch wide-screen would be ideal really… the current wide screen model just doesn't have a high enough res.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
cartoonprofessor at 5:50AM, April 7, 2009
(online)
LIke you, Ozone, nothing can replace my Cintiq (except maybe one with 2048 levels).

However I was lucky enough to be very close to one of these all weekend. Wacom asked me to attend the Supernova on their behalf and while I only got to play fairly briefly with the new I4, I was right there to hear the gasps as experienced tablet users and professional comic artists got to use it.

The extra sensitivity is great as is the ‘ambidextrous-ness’. It is such a good idea to have all the express keys on one side (you can flip the tablet if you're left-handed).

But the most impressive feature to me was the silky feel of the new surface and nibs. It actually feels almost exactly like drawing with a high quality felt-tip pen on heavy paper.
Sooooooo niiiice……

Needless to say, these new I4s are already very popular. I was the first in Australia to have them available from my site and on Ebay and they are selling well.

Unfortunately I don't see a new Cintiq just around the corner. Wacom Australia's head honcho told me a new Cintiq (to match the I4s) is not likely for at least 12 months, more likely 18.

(Although Wacom is about as secretive about new releases as Apple, so maybe sooner???? finger crossed)

(If anyone in Oz wants one, PQ me)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 9:17AM, April 7, 2009
(offline)
Aw man. I totally want a medium!
Maybe I can ask my parents to “surprise” me with one for Christmas or something.

Sure would make cleaning up my pages a lot easier!
And I could color stuff too! Just like I used to!
With my old-not good at all tablet.
That broke.
And I can't replace.
The pen, I mean.
They wanted me to buy a whole new one.
:(
It wasn't Wacom, by the way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Gillespie at 12:42PM, April 7, 2009
(online)
They look really nice, but I already have a Bamboo Fun tablet. I love it, but I do plan on getting another tablet in the future if it wears down enough. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Phillby at 1:20PM, April 7, 2009
(offline)
That is super sexy.

Jesus christ a lot of people in this thread own Cintiqs!

I'm a Tablet PC man myself, although I do somethimes hook up an ancient Graphire to my regular PC.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
lba at 12:41PM, April 8, 2009
(online)
I got to play with a friend's the other day in class. I dislike having to flip the tablet over after a right handed person uses it. I know it's not really a big deal, but I kept forgetting and it drove me nuts whenever my cursor went the opposite way I wanted. Crud, I can do that with my I3 as it is.

Otherwise they're nice tablets but for my money I'm just going to wait and pick up a 21" cintiq when the new ones come out. That's what I want anyway is a cintiq for home and my little 4x6 I3 for traveling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
mattchee at 1:41PM, April 8, 2009
(online)
I hadn't seen a cintiq in person until recently, and i was blown away. I went from a small graphire to a 12“ tablet PC – I'm pretty sure that the next step would be the 21” cintiq. But that's far off….

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
NickGuy at 8:36PM, April 8, 2009
(online)
for the time being im very happy with my tablet pc.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Aurora Borealis at 6:03AM, April 9, 2009
(online)
cartoonprofessor
The extra sensitivity is great as is the ‘ambidextrous-ness’. It is such a good idea to have all the express keys on one side (you can flip the tablet if you're left-handed).

Sold! Er, that is, if I had any money :P
*is left handed*
lba at 12:38PM, April 9, 2009
(online)
Aurora Borealis
cartoonprofessor

Sold! Er, that is, if I had any money :P
*is left handed*

You can do that with the older I3 and the graphires too. Your touch strip just ends up on the bottom right side. A lot of the 6x8 size and up tablets also have dual quick pads so you can shut off one on the right or left side. It's not really an advancement, just a different placement. But what this does mean is that those older tablets are gonna get a lot cheaper and might be low enough to come into your price range now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:39PM, April 9, 2009
(online)
A lot cheaper… I WISH! I couldn't afford a graphire, not to mention any intuos :P

Actually I could do with anything that comes with replacement nibs. Volitos didn't have that. If the nib goes bad, I'm fucked and have to find someone who has the entire pen for sale (since they discontinued the line).

I have no idea how backwards compatibility works for Wacom, that is if I could use all the features of Intuos 4 in ancient Photoshop 7. Probably not :P

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved