Media Megaforum

Wallace and Gromit Wins Academy Award!
ccs1989 at 5:38PM, March 5, 2006
(online)
That's pretty cool. Maybe this will teach animators that different sorts of animation aside from 3D are just as viable. There wasn't even 1 3D animated movie up for the award!
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
hpkomic at 5:48PM, March 5, 2006
(online)
This makes me so incredibly happy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Ian Jay at 6:07PM, March 5, 2006
(offline)
Yeah. Though, to be fair, any of the three feature films nominated deserved the award.

On a side note, are any of the nominated animated short films online anywhere? I'm having trouble finding them. And most of them looked really cool, too.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Terminal at 6:22PM, March 5, 2006
(online)
Sweet!

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
hpkomic at 6:36PM, March 5, 2006
(online)
Ian Jay
Yeah. Though, to be fair, any of the three feature films nominated deserved the award.

On a side note, are any of the nominated animated short films online anywhere? I'm having trouble finding them. And most of them looked really cool, too.

~IJ

I remember during the last oscars, there was an animation site that was showing off the short films.
Hawk at 7:24PM, March 5, 2006
(online)
Yeah! We all hate 3D animation!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
hpkomic at 8:51PM, March 5, 2006
(online)
I don't hate 3D animation.

I hate BAD 3D animation.
Ronson at 7:39AM, March 6, 2006
(online)
Didn't all of the shorts for Wallace and Gromit win Academy Awards as well? I think so…

No surprise. They're really beautifully done and well scripted. Nick Park really brings the whole package in.

I guess that means that “Corpse Bride” didn't get anything for Burton? That's a shame. But not everyone can win.

Did Chicken Run win anything way back when?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
isukun at 12:31PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
You know, I almost forgot that Dreamworks distributes Aardman films in this country. That's really got to be a smack in the face for their animation department.

You know what's a real smack in the face? The next Aardman film will be CGI animated by the folks at Dreamworks. No stop motion AT ALL. Did none of you pick up the DVD for Curse of the Wererabbit?

Speaking of Howl's Secret Castle, I find it amusing that a feature that was merely distributed by Disney would get nominated, and yet Disney's own animated offering from last year would get no such honor.

I'm wondering when the academy will turn it's attention towards some of the other prominant international animated films that are “merely distributed” in the US. Europe and Asia both have much better films to offer to the runnings than the works of Hayao Miyazaki and many of them d get theatrical runs in the US, even if it's just through Columbia, Sony Pictures, or one of the smaller distributors.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Ronson at 1:38PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
isukun
You know what's a real smack in the face? The next Aardman film will be CGI animated by the folks at Dreamworks. No stop motion AT ALL. Did none of you pick up the DVD for Curse of the Wererabbit?

I saw that. They're doing CGI mice that look a lot like the mice from “Chicken Run”.

I suppose it's cheaper and easier and keeps the look out there. I hope they never do it to W&G though. I think I'd rather never see another W&G than to see a CGI version.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Mazoo at 3:32PM, March 6, 2006
(offline)
I actually missed the Wallace and Gromit movie, but I'm glad they got the award, since I grew up with them.

I'm not surprised Corpse Bride didn't make it… I personally never saw it, but I heard that it was pretty bad. Even from what I heard of the plot, it just seemed unfinished. It didn't sound like there was any resolution.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
hpkomic at 4:03PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
kc
isukun

AAAAAAAAAAAA Don't freaking remind me. I TRIED TO BLOCK IT OUT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

GODDAMN DREAMWORKS. DIE IN HELL.

I have a bit more faith than you do. I mean, Aardman IS involved, their story, their style, it's pretty much 100% them with the work being outsourced to a company that (let's face it) should not be allowed to come up with stories.

Dreamworks has a fantastic tech department and talented individuals, they just don't know how to use it all correctly. I'm sure Aardman can guide them.
Hawk at 6:13PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
Ronson
I guess that means that “Corpse Bride” didn't get anything for Burton?

…except a new generation of goths buying his stuff at Hot Topic. :D

BTW, I don't actually hate CGI animation. I'm a CGI animator. But I certainly hate to see 2D animation fall at its hands.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
hpkomic at 6:53PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
Once again, it's not the CGI that's screwing up the industry, it's the people using the CGI.

Tarantino: Great filmmaker, crappy quote.
Terminal at 10:21PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
RedSlayer
“This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. If I'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have stuck my dick in a Nintendo.”-Tarantino

My God, what the hell does that quote mean? And why would you stick your dick in a Nintendo to simulate the effect of a horrible CGI movie?

Anyways, CGI is breaking new ground in the cinema world, it`s the newest thing and some amazing things can happen, ironically, it`s also breaking the ground it`s standing on with all those less than stellar movie cash-ins.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
SarahN at 10:38PM, March 6, 2006
(online)
Kind of off topic…kind of not. Corpse Bride was mentioned sooo….

I thought both of Burton's most recent films seemed….unfinished as some people said. ESPECIALLY Corpse Bride. I mostly just thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's ending and flashbacks seemed abruptly ended. It was mostly good to me though, I liked it better than the original.

Corpse Bride however….was just EXACTLY what I expected. No twists, no turns, it was just very….blunt. It was a very pointless plot to put all that pretty stop motion animation to. Perhaps it would've been better if I hadn't watched the “behind the scenes” thing on television….(they gave away the whole freakin' story!) Though I still don't think I would've been that impressed, despite my efforts to try and like it.

Hell, the best part of the movie was a couple of the songs (not the jazzy ones, eww)….and I HATE songs in movies. :o Some parts of the ending were okay too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
hpkomic at 1:01AM, March 7, 2006
(online)
SarahN
Hell, the best part of the movie was a couple of the songs (not the jazzy ones, eww)….and I HATE songs in movies. :o Some parts of the ending were okay too.

Danny Elfman can craft some amazing songs, usually, but the Corpse Bride sountrack was incredibly lacking and repeated a lot of elements of The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is definately one of my all time favorite musicals ever.

Corpse Bride seemed so lacking in every aspect.
jalford at 1:44AM, March 7, 2006
(online)
Anyone ever see Creature Comforts? It was a series of short films from Aardman where they did TV interviews with animals, either in the zoo, on farms, pets, etc., but it was done like a for real television spot. See more of it at http://www.creaturecomforts.tv

There's also those Chevron commercials they did too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
isukun at 7:50AM, March 7, 2006
(online)
Maybe they've finally figured out that good entertainment stems from good writing and not from trying to dazzle the audience with hyper realism and mile-a-minute humor.

Judging from the trailer, it looks like they may have more involvement with the project than simply being contracted to work on the animation. Some of the humor and most of the visuals aren't typical Aardman fare. I cringed when I saw it since it looked like a mesh between the two studios. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but Dreamworks is already hyping it up even though the animation used in the trailer was obviously not complete in places.

Danny Elfman can craft some amazing songs, usually, but the Corpse Bride sountrack was incredibly lacking and repeated a lot of elements of The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is definately one of my all time favorite musicals ever.

I think the Corpse Bride was trying to be something very different from the Nightmare Before Christmas, which is why the music varied a bit more and just didn't work as well. The Nightmare Before Christmas was more of a musical than Corpse Bride in the sense that almost the entire movie was music. There were only a handful of spoken lines, so everything had to mesh well. Danny Elfman was obviously shooting for a more Broadway feel for the film. Corpse Bride comes off more like a Disney film, where the songs are secondary and are designed to fit the tone of the particular scene.

Thevampire_kain01 at 7:55AM, March 7, 2006
(offline)
I would like to see thie movie, but meh, no time on my hands.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
isukun at 8:22AM, March 7, 2006
(online)
If the story's good, then it shouldn't matter how it's animated. I like Aardman for more than just their animation.

And that's kind of what I was saying. I wasn't speaking of the animation quality, but the general feel of the trailer. It seemed to have more of the feel of a typical Dreamworks movie with british accents and an Aardman look rather than the other way around.

I don't like that they're hyping unfinished scenes.

Generally that's the sort of thing that sets off warning flags for me. Dreamworks has done it before, but mostly just to hype up one of their second rate movies before the reviews come in.

Thevampire_kain01 at 8:46AM, March 7, 2006
(offline)
~sarcasticly~ I agree, lets give this man a nice mug of Beer! and therr cheers. ~starts to crack up~ *snicker*
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:06AM, March 8, 2006
(offline)
hey! don't mock a vamp…. er… yah…. thats it…… ……………………. WALLACE AND GROMITE IS OK.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved