Debate and Discussion

Walmart worker willed on black friday!
machinehead at 7:06PM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
Ok seriously I think this whole black friday thing has spiraled out of control. How insanely crazy is it that people trampled a guy to death at 4 in the morning waiting to save ten bucks on a video game for little Billy. First off the only time I've gotten up at 4 in the morning is to take a damn piss! I do my killing after breakfast. This whole Black friday has taken the joy and love of the christmas spirit and turned it into mass hysteria. People running around like their dicks have burst into flames just to save a few bucks. Its friggin nuts! And doh I meant killed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
isukun at 8:19PM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
It's not just Black Friday. People are just generally assholes around Christmas. I find it disturbingly ironic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
BffSatan at 2:05AM, Nov. 30, 2008
(online)
I am disturbed by the thought that anyone could do that, as if they didn't notice someone underneath them, they could have done something.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
isukun at 5:43AM, Nov. 30, 2008
(online)
Generally, it is not a single person who tramples someone else, it is a crowd. When people are moving as a group and pushing you from behind, it can be hard to stop. The people in the back don't generally know that someone in front of them is under foot, so it isn't like people consciously and deliberately trample another person.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 6:44AM, Nov. 30, 2008
(offline)
Isukun
Generally, it is not a single person who tramples someone else, it is a crowd. When people are moving as a group and pushing you from behind, it can be hard to stop. The people in the back don't generally know that someone in front of them is under foot, so it isn't like people consciously and deliberately trample another person.
The couple of times I've been trapped in the middle of a crowd like this it soon occured to me that if things got out of control there wouldn't be a damn thing anybody could do about it: what amazes me is that these things don't happen more often. I'd compare it so a surfer being dragged under a wave: you're completely powerless to do anything but wait for the wave to subside.
Of course, the human wave tends not to subside.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
draconia11 at 5:18AM, Jan. 4, 2009
(offline)
machinehead
Ok seriously I think this whole black friday thing has spiraled out of control. How insanely crazy is it that people trampled a guy to death at 4 in the morning waiting to save ten bucks on a video game for little Billy. First off the only time I've gotten up at 4 in the morning is to take a damn piss! I do my killing after breakfast. This whole Black friday has taken the joy and love of the christmas spirit and turned it into mass hysteria. People running around like their dicks have burst into flames just to save a few bucks. Its friggin nuts! And doh I meant killed.

I totally agree with you. I have seen videos of people beating each other up in front of Wal-Mart, and then when the doors open, the little old ladies just get trampled. All because someone wants a free TV or better prices on their Christmas gifts. WOuld you kill someone to save 20 bucks? I think not.
Anyone who crowds those doors that early in the morning is simply an idiot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
DMH at 8:39PM, Jan. 4, 2009
(offline)
We don't have Black Friday here in Australia, but we do have Boxing Day (Which, ironically, was on a Friday this year). People are just as insane, rushing into David Jones and Myer (They're large department stores) running under the doors as they slowly open, just to get 15% off their socks.

Unfortunately, some people are just greedy and stupid. I think in schools we should devote more time to teaching basic common sense and manners.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Product Placement at 6:21AM, Jan. 5, 2009
(online)
Didn't we already have this discussion?

Anyways. My two cents are that it's something you can't really change. Where there's enough population and good deals come about things like that happens whenever sufficient amount of people gather at the same place. It's basic mob mentality. People think differently when in a huge group and you tend to go with the flow.

You can't stop a stampeding mob short of erecting a brick wall in front of them and it's easy for someone to get trampled in such situations.

This isn't exclusive to black Fridays you know.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
kyupol at 2:27PM, Jan. 7, 2009
(offline)
This is a clear example that illustrates the value of human life.

apparently, slave-made Chinese goods have more value than the life of a HUMAN BEING.

tsk tsk tsk.

It's not just Black Friday. People are just generally assholes around Christmas. I find it disturbingly ironic.

I noticed that too.

Btw there's this idea circulating among some Christian groups that says that Santa Claus is really SATAN and he's ruining a day that's suppose to be about the birth of Jesus Christ or something like that. That Santa Claus is only encouraging people to commit SIN (greed is one of the 7 capital sins. And in the 10 commandments, there's a commandment that says “thou shall not covet your neighbor's possessions”).

But if you don't believe in God or the bible, what if Santa Claus is just another brainwashing tool? You know, to create a morally decadent consumerist culture in order to bring down a society. Because afterall, every great civilization went down because people became corrupt and decadent.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Hawk at 9:14AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
kyupol
This is a clear example that illustrates the value of human life.

apparently, slave-made Chinese goods have more value than the life of a HUMAN BEING.

tsk tsk tsk.

I actually disagree with this. Sure, people were being irrisponsible. But I'll bet you could have asked every person in that crowd if they actually wanted to killed a person, and every person would say No. In this particular instance people weren't putting slave-made Chinese goods above human life, they were putting goods above common sense and that cost somebody his life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Senshuu at 8:56PM, Jan. 8, 2009
(offline)
I don't get Black Friday. I always get my sales on other days. On the internet, particularly.
It's not worth going out into the cold just to deal with a bunch of assholes who want something that's only just been lowered to its actual price value, on a day where EVERYONE IS OUT FOR SOME REASON (and in a state where no one can drive). Nothing's worth that much. Nobody I know wants gifts that badly.

The big story this year was that people were leaning on the Walmart doors, pushing in on the glass and eventually bursting through it and charging through like a bunch of savage animals. These are the same people whose ancestors recultivated a perfectly fine land filled with people they considered savage. Classy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved