Networking & Community Projects*

War of the Bands: A Community Project Idea
Vakanai at 1:22PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
So…who wants to Rock though if you're not an artist it'll be fine if you just script a page and one of your bandmates draws it.

That's the basic idea, I haven't really thought out a story. I'm kind of new to trying to start up and organize a community event, but I really loved the idea. So advice and suggestions are more than welcome.

Hope this is successful and that everyone has fun.

And remember, this is no Battle of the second rate Bands; this is War.

Participants:
PIT_FACE
Glarg
Hero
Mister Kent
amanda
seventy2
Fishfilet
n_y_japlander
flapjack1995

Let me know if I miss anyone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
PIT_FACE at 1:50PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
haha! ya know…i was gonna say no more community projects for a while, but this is RIGHT up my fuckin alley!

are the 2 characters ones we're submitting outa our comics? cause Bones and Puke are both thrash metalers. Putrid Meat actualy has thrash metal references all over it, it's a major inspiration to me, so i'd love to do this. so if that's how we're rollin, i'd LOVE to submit them for the cause!
otherwise, just lemme know what ya'd need me to do!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Vakanai at 1:56PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
PIT_FACE
haha! ya know…i was gonna say no more community projects for a while, but this is RIGHT up my fuckin alley!

are the 2 characters ones we're submitting outa our comics? cause Bones and Puke are both thrash metalers. Putrid Meat actualy has thrash metal references all over it, it's a major inspiration to me, so i'd love to do this. so if that's how we're rollin, i'd LOVE to submit them for the cause!
otherwise, just lemme know what ya'd need me to do!
It can be either preexisting characters from your comics or new characters, so no problem with you using Bones and Puke.:)
PIT_FACE at 2:14PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
WICKED! i'm in…this sounds like it's gonna be cool!

Glarg at 2:40PM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
This looks like a job for Marty and the racoons…minus 2 racoons of corse!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
PIT_FACE at 7:09PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
huh…and rethinking this, i think i'm actualy gonna make up a headbanger or two…yeah…two new neck wreckers right outa Septica…

Vakanai at 7:31PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
PIT_FACE
huh…and rethinking this, i think i'm actualy gonna make up a headbanger or two…yeah…two new neck wreckers right outa Septica…
Feel free. After reading Putrid Meat, I know they're bound to be legendary.8D

Edit: That's one scary freaky smiley…
seventy2 at 1:08PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
six string samurai??
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
Vakanai at 1:59PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
seventy2
six string samurai??
Eh? That your character?
seventy2 at 2:53PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
Six string samurai is a movie made on a credit card budget.

it featured the U.S. in a world where the commie's took over in ‘58. and elvis lived to be however old he would be when the movie was made. he lived in Las Vegas, the last free spot in the former U.S.. there he was king. they sent out a call for a guitar playing bamf, to become the new king. and the movie follows one man’s bid for that power.

not quite the same thing, but it made me think of it….
facara
Vakanai at 3:10PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
seventy2
Six string samurai is a movie made on a credit card budget.

it featured the U.S. in a world where the commie's took over in ‘58. and elvis lived to be however old he would be when the movie was made. he lived in Las Vegas, the last free spot in the former U.S.. there he was king. they sent out a call for a guitar playing bamf, to become the new king. and the movie follows one man’s bid for that power.

not quite the same thing, but it made me think of it….
Never seen it. Was it good?
Hope it isn't too similar, though a little similar isn't bad as long as the comic is good. Hopefully it'll be entertaining.
seventy2 at 4:12PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
it was okay for a c rated movie….but you obviously didnt know about it, and it can be completely different…
facara
PIT_FACE at 7:20PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
haha, ahh…six string samurai…nah man, in order to end up like that movie, you'd probably have to copy right off of it. not much of a chance of it happening by accident so dont worry.hahaha! fuck, almost forgot about that one.
now that i think about it, the premisis was kinda close. there were all these other quirkey bands trying to outdo the six string samurai to vegas. like some soviet swing band and the grim reaper was into heavy metal and stuff. was something like that. pretty far out from what i can remember! haha, but who cares. ours'll be way cooler.

i was wondering though if we all have characters in it and stuff, but can only do one page, is there gonna be one main writer and a bunch of artists or what? or do we kinda make it up with each person who posts and kinda let it go where it wants. where does the contest come in with everyone's bands?

Vakanai at 7:44PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
PIT_FACE
haha, ahh…six string samurai…nah man, in order to end up like that movie, you'd probably have to copy right off of it. not much of a chance of it happening by accident so dont worry.hahaha! fuck, almost forgot about that one.
now that i think about it, the premisis was kinda close. there were all these other quirkey bands trying to outdo the six string samurai to vegas. like some soviet swing band and the grim reaper was into heavy metal and stuff. was something like that. pretty far out from what i can remember! haha, but who cares. ours'll be way cooler.

That it will.

Someone
i was wondering though if we all have characters in it and stuff, but can only do one page, is there gonna be one main writer and a bunch of artists or what? or do we kinda make it up with each person who posts and kinda let it go where it wants. where does the contest come in with everyone's bands?
You can draw as many pages as you want to, the one was a minimum to make sure everyone contributes a little bit.
I figured there would be a basic subplot that one main writer would write, so that everything was connected somehow, but that each participant/band could add their own story elements to it. So a main plot/subplot written out, but a great deal of just ‘make it up with each person who posts and kinda let it go where it wants’ in it too.
The contest is the mcguffin if you will. It's what brings all the bands to Death Valley, and there will be several ‘rock offs’ (or a similar, preferably cooler name) to decide who gets fame and fortune. Of course, that all depends on if your band survives to rock out. Those barroom brawls really can get sick and brutal, amongst other dangers.
Truth be told, it is mostly an excuse for violence, rock/metal/whatever references, and fan service. Much like any real rock star's life.

What ya think?
PIT_FACE at 8:12PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
man, i think it sounds like a fuckin hoot! hell, rock and violence is a good excuse for ANYTHING! hopefuly more people start signing up so this can get on the role. maby you can go back to the first post and edit it to sound more like what you told me cause i was a little confused, so maby more people'll jump on. but i think it sounds like a terrific idea! i havent seen anything like that on here yet and i seriously love everything about it so i'm totaly there, and i can't think we'd be the only ones.

Vakanai at 9:22PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
PIT_FACE
man, i think it sounds like a fuckin hoot! hell, rock and violence is a good excuse for ANYTHING! hopefuly more people start signing up so this can get on the role. maby you can go back to the first post and edit it to sound more like what you told me cause i was a little confused, so maby more people'll jump on. but i think it sounds like a terrific idea! i havent seen anything like that on here yet and i seriously love everything about it so i'm totaly there, and i can't think we'd be the only ones.
I might be able to change the first post later, but it's late and my brain refuses to cooperate right now. And yes, rock and violence is a good excuse for anything!
I'm hoping more people will sign up, but even if I can only get a few participants I'd still try to get this thing up and going as much as possible. I probably won't get a chance to get it started till about two-ish months from now, so there's plenty of time for people to sign up.
Hero at 12:45PM, April 12, 2008
(online)
Well, while I'm not particularly fond of only entering two of my characters in this, I'd love to help put this thing together. I've been drawing a band comic for like six years so if you like need help with the stuff in between entries or the central plot I'd be happy to lend a band.
K.A.L.A-Dan: Rival!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Vakanai at 3:00PM, April 12, 2008
(online)
Hero
Well, while I'm not particularly fond of only entering two of my characters in this, I'd love to help put this thing together. I've been drawing a band comic for like six years so if you like need help with the stuff in between entries or the central plot I'd be happy to lend a band.
Well, the two character restriction is so that no one participant would have a whole band. I thought it would be neat if two or three participants were in a single band, thus making it more of a group effort. Depending on the number of entries however, I may allow more than two characters.
And thanks for offering to help, I'll probably need it.:)
Mister Kent at 1:20PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
Ooh! I want in, Vakanai! Hopefully this'll go further than Blood Kart ~ it looks exciting!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
Vakanai at 1:52PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
Mister Kent
Ooh! I want in, Vakanai! Hopefully this'll go further than Blood Kart ~ it looks exciting!
No problem, you're in! I'll start putting up the people who've registered in my first post later.
I plan to go through with it no matter how many (or few) participants I get involved with this.

I'm not sure if I should create the comic on my account or start an open account like DD Zombies or something (really not sure how that is done). Thoughts?
I also plan to make a forum for it so everyone can communicate and plan a bit more effectively. Again, thoughts?

Can you tell I'm a bit nervous?
amanda at 2:28PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
I'm in - I'll probably use some existing characters, but I'll have to think about it some. And I thought 6-String Samurai as well when I read it - but I think it will make a fun comic. You should check out that movie, though. It's in my top 10. Especially the car chase scene and the epic guitar battle with Death. Hell yes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
seventy2 at 3:32PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
you know what?….so many people here know Six string Samurai, that i can't help but join…tho for right now i'm not much help
facara
Fishfilet at 7:52AM, April 15, 2008
(offline)
Hey chaps! Gotta say it made me think of Six-String Samurai, too. I actually loved that movie. But anyway, can you count me in? I've never actually done a DD collaborative project before so I may need some helping along, but I'd love to do a few pages for this. It's an awesome idea! And I love me some rock n' roll. Give me a chance to pay some homage to old classics like the Flamin' Groovies. Hahaaa, yes.

Plus drawing characters interacting with Bones and Puke would be fuckin' awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
n_y_japlander at 8:55AM, April 15, 2008
(offline)
I use to draw some pretty wild sh@t…. And would like to get back to my roots!
I do not have any characters made for this, but I can and will do a couple on the fly!! This sounds like a kickin' project… just tell me what needs to be done, and I'm there!! 8D

*yea… that smile is freaky…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
Hero at 11:07AM, April 15, 2008
(online)
Vakanai
I'm not sure if I should create the comic on my account or start an open account like DD Zombies or something (really not sure how that is done). Thoughts?
I also plan to make a forum for it so everyone can communicate and plan a bit more effectively. Again, thoughts?

Can you tell I'm a bit nervous?

I personally don't see anything wrong with creating the comic on your account. You could always make the current artist the assistant under your advanced option for the time being so they could put up their pages.
K.A.L.A-Dan: Rival!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Vakanai at 1:50PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
amanda
I'm in - I'll probably use some existing characters, but I'll have to think about it some. And I thought 6-String Samurai as well when I read it - but I think it will make a fun comic. You should check out that movie, though. It's in my top 10. Especially the car chase scene and the epic guitar battle with Death. Hell yes.

If I ever see it for sale at Wal Mart I'll be sure to do it. That's pretty much my highest chance of seeing stuff. Hope it isn't too similar though. Truth be told,at the time I had the idea I was thinking kind of retro 80's ‘Battle of the Bands’ type stuff, only harder. For some reason Bill and Ted, Lobo, and Jack Black went into the thinking. Weird. Sounds like a cool movie though, I've heard of it before.

seventy2
you know what?….so many people here know Six string Samurai, that i can't help but join…tho for right now i'm not much help

And you're added. Don't worry if you can't be too much help, I'm not really sure how much I can contribute, I can't draw and I'm having trouble working in plots for this.
Mostly I might just be the organizer/glue for this, as well as the scapegoat in case it doesn't do so hot.XD

Fishfilet
Hey chaps! Gotta say it made me think of Six-String Samurai, too. I actually loved that movie. But anyway, can you count me in? I've never actually done a DD collaborative project before so I may need some helping along, but I'd love to do a few pages for this. It's an awesome idea! And I love me some rock n' roll. Give me a chance to pay some homage to old classics like the Flamin' Groovies. Hahaaa, yes.

Plus drawing characters interacting with Bones and Puke would be fuckin' awesome.

And you're in. Glad you like the idea.

n_y_japlander
I use to draw some pretty wild sh@t…. And would like to get back to my roots!
I do not have any characters made for this, but I can and will do a couple on the fly!! This sounds like a kickin' project… just tell me what needs to be done, and I'm there!! 8D

*yea… that smile is freaky…

You got it. Not sure what all will be needed for this yet though…

Hero
I personally don't see anything wrong with creating the comic on your account. You could always make the current artist the assistant under your advanced option for the time being so they could put up their pages.

Sounds cool, thanks. I'm making everything on that end ready right now.
Vakanai at 2:09PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
Comic Name: War of the Bands
Short Description: The world's craziest bands war for fame and fortune in Death Valley.
(The description is just temporary, though the best I can come up with at the moment. Got a better description in mind? Share it! Please?)
Type of Comic: Comic Story
Rating: T+ (for now, I don't really care too much if it goes to Mature or whatever. Just wanted to put some kind of rating up for the moment).
Style: I put it as ‘Experimental’ since it might not end up in any one style.
Categories: Western (cause it's in a desert) Tribute (cause the whole thing is kind of a rock tribute…sort of).
Tone: Comedy (I'm guessing here)

How's that?
amanda at 2:31PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
Sounds about right to me ^.^ I doubt you'll have much luck finding the movie at Walmart - it's kind of a tough find.

Here's a clip - it has my favorite line in the whole movie: “Nice tuxedo. Nice tuxedo to DIE in.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Fishfilet at 4:33PM, April 15, 2008
(offline)
Sounds good to me! I'm excited. :} Feel free to send me a PQ or whatever if you need me for anything. In the meantime, I guess I should start thinking up my characters. Do you have any guidelines as far as characters go? Obviously we have to stick to a rockin' kind of genre, but you know. Just thought I'd ask.

Oh an don't worry. The story doesn't sound to similar to Six String Samurai. Besides, it's awesome even if people compare the two. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
Vakanai at 4:46PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
amanda
Sounds about right to me ^.^ I doubt you'll have much luck finding the movie at Walmart - it's kind of a tough find.

Here's a clip - it has my favorite line in the whole movie: “Nice tuxedo. Nice tuxedo to DIE in.”
Thanks, though sadly I can't see it. I got dial up, so videos take too long. Plus for some reason youtube has been messing up on my computer a lot lately.

Fishfilet
Sounds good to me! I'm excited. :} Feel free to send me a PQ or whatever if you need me for anything. In the meantime, I guess I should start thinking up my characters. Do you have any guidelines as far as characters go? Obviously we have to stick to a rockin' kind of genre, but you know. Just thought I'd ask.

Oh an don't worry. The story doesn't sound to similar to Six String Samurai. Besides, it's awesome even if people compare the two. :D

No guidelines, none that I can think of anyways.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon