Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Watch yer mouth!
Neilsama at 12:31AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
I swear for effect, basically. If there's an intense emotion I have about something, chances are, I'm going to drop the f-bomb fairly liberally and not really care who hears it. I treat “bad words” the same as I'd treat any other word. I apply them contextually and if I don't need to use them, I don't use them. On the other hand, I think that the superstition and negative aura that surrounds these words is absolute bullshit.

If you ask me, the concept of “bad words” has got to be one of the single stupidest aspects of human culture. I can't believe that in the 21st Century, we're still bothered by certain sounds that we make with our mouthes, and that these sounds are always bad, regardless of context. And worse, we have a government commission that is entirely dedicated to making sure said words remain… well… unsaid on TV and radio airwaves. And worst of all, they're paid with our tax money!

They're just words, for crying out loud! They're not even expressions of thought. If you ask me, the expressed intent and physical act of harming another human being is far more offensive than having to hear a four-lettered word. In fact, I'm greatly offended by people who think it's their job to employ police and government in order to stop people like me from essentially making a particular sound with my mouth.

Seriously, with all the bad shit going on in the world, it flabbergasts me to see people… grown adults… acting as though some irreversible damage has been done by having a to hear a pajorative. The sun will not stop shining if your kid hears you say “shit” and repeats it. We can handle this. It's okay. Tomorrow will still come.

As far as I'm concerned, the best way to take the sting out of bad words is to stop reacting negatively to them.

SarahN
I guess some people consider saying “Jesus” a swear though. I don't.
Oh, don't even get me started on that one. That one's unique in that it's not the word itself that's supposedly bad. It's the fact that when we use it as an exclamation, we're using it without merit. You know what I say to that? Jesus fucking Christ!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
qdawg at 11:14AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
I swear all the time. Though I don't do it when it's not appropriate. Like in presence of small children and relatives. Any other time it's swear-tastic.
Rockin it fatboy style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
Vindibudd at 11:40AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(online)
I try not to swear if I can help it. Sometimes though, I just can't help it. I'm working on trying to get it under control though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
warren at 1:32PM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
Swear too much actually, been trying to cut down for quite a while.

Don't do it much in my comics though… I've always thought an overreliance on cursing in writing shows a lack of imagination. Doesn't mean it should never be used, just let it fit the context.
Warren

On the Duck:
Title -updating! ~30 strips!
PAC -New! >10 strips.

Others:
Spare Change -updating! ~2000 strips!
Mass Production -hiatus. ~300 strips.

This guy does Piss Mario, Stick, and Filler!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
My Lady of Sorrow at 11:35PM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
not generally. the only swear word i allow myself in regular conversation is ‘bloody hell’.

-i will say it if i am repeating what someone else said.

-physical and extreme emotional pain means that i am not held resonsible for whatever comes out of my mouth.

I'm still trying to think of something funny to put here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
joerocks1981 at 11:55AM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
i have a pretty extended vocabulary–sometimes it fails me.

and that's where my friends Mother F- and the Funtime Four Letter word crew come in.

i actually swear less than i do in my comic. i guess i'm just trying to get attention.

//really trying to cut down. honest.

Internet Superbuddies - We sure beat crack.(Tm)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
mechanical_lullaby at 12:00PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
as George Carlin said that swear words aren't necessary but are more like enhancers to language… well my language is very enhanced.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Vindibudd at 12:32PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(online)
Gen. George S. Patton
“When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. As for the types of comments I make, Sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence.”

One of my favorite quotes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Lord Shplane at 2:45PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Neilsama
I swear for effect, basically. If there's an intense emotion I have about something, chances are, I'm going to drop the f-bomb fairly liberally and not really care who hears it. I treat “bad words” the same as I'd treat any other word. I apply them contextually and if I don't need to use them, I don't use them. On the other hand, I think that the superstition and negative aura that surrounds these words is absolute bullshit.

If you ask me, the concept of “bad words” has got to be one of the single stupidest aspects of human culture. I can't believe that in the 21st Century, we're still bothered by certain sounds that we make with our mouthes, and that these sounds are always bad, regardless of context. And worse, we have a government commission that is entirely dedicated to making sure said words remain… well… unsaid on TV and radio airwaves. And worst of all, they're paid with our tax money!

They're just words, for crying out loud! They're not even expressions of thought. If you ask me, the expressed intent and physical act of harming another human being is far more offensive than having to hear a four-lettered word. In fact, I'm greatly offended by people who think it's their job to employ police and government in order to stop people like me from essentially making a particular sound with my mouth.

Seriously, with all the bad shit going on in the world, it flabbergasts me to see people… grown adults… acting as though some irreversible damage has been done by having a to hear a pajorative. The sun will not stop shining if your kid hears you say “shit” and repeats it. We can handle this. It's okay. Tomorrow will still come.

As far as I'm concerned, the best way to take the sting out of bad words is to stop reacting negatively to them.

SarahN
I guess some people consider saying “Jesus” a swear though. I don't.
Oh, don't even get me started on that one. That one's unique in that it's not the word itself that's supposedly bad. It's the fact that when we use it as an exclamation, we're using it without merit. You know what I say to that? Jesus fucking Christ!

Thank you. You are COMPLETELY RIGHT! In fact, I am trying to swear MORE just to get people used to it. Everyone, help me. Say words like fuck, damn, hell, bitch, shit, bastard, ass etc.. Help me break humanity of it's own stupidity.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
mapaghimagsik at 3:08PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
I should try that at the convent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Rori at 3:19PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(online)
I use profanity, but I also say things like, “awe, flapjacks!” Sometimes it's just funnier. I do say “fuck that guy/shit/etc.” a lot. I agree that the concept of “bad” words is a bit absurd. I think my big problem is the constant sex/gross humor spewing from my mouth, but hell, why shouldn't I talk about taint rash on the CTA, those kids live in Chicago, they're used to it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
Coyotejeff at 5:59PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(online)
I swear Casually, Frequently and fluently.
Welcome to Roadkill Valley
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
shaneronzio at 9:24AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
Vindibudd
Gen. George S. Patton
“When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. As for the types of comments I make, Sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence.”

One of my favorite quotes.

Awesome.
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Loud_G at 12:29PM, Aug. 17, 2007
(online)
I never swear. Never have, never will. I just don't like it. I don't like hearing it or reading it. It used to be really bad because every time I'd hear the F-word it was almost like physical pain.

Just so you know, I am 26 and married. (To give you a little more of the story)
I don't see swearing as “Adult” (read: naughty) language, I tend to see it as “Childish” (read: naughty) language. ;)

I am also a very religious guy, so my non-swearing fits well with my beliefs. :D
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ladyleamarie at 12:47PM, Aug. 17, 2007
(online)
I don't swear at work, and I try not to while in public. However around my friends, it's a little more and the angrier the more I do. However, last year one of my roommates warned the people across the hall that if they had their door open when any of us were playing video games to just pretend that we had turrets.
Web Designer for
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
joe_vee at 3:11PM, Aug. 17, 2007
(offline)
I swear when I am:

- driving
- playing video games
- on roller coasters
- and when I'm mad with or fighting with skanks
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Ozoneocean at 3:35AM, Aug. 19, 2007
(online)
Loud_G
I am also a very religious guy, so my non-swearing fits well with my beliefs. :D
Then I hope you're aware of the obvious sexual connotations of your avatar. ;)
It's not a matter of interpretation, the composition and that angle of view was chosen for a reason. lol!

Just so you know, I'm swearing at you all right this second. :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:29PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(offline)
hmmm…
is cooch a swear?

I never swear in my comic, because my little cousins & my younger brother read it!!! although there was one time where the word “bitch!” was totally needed, in an exclamatory sense… I used some really cheesy word instead, don't remember which.
I don't swear too much, but I'm constantly saying inappropriate things…
oh and look what I found in a bag of cheetos?

heh. fuckin a!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:31PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(offline)
Rori
I do say “fuck that guy/shit/etc.” a lot.

oh, me too, but in a completely different context.

lol??
Terminal at 9:34PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(online)
Kristen Gudsnuk
hmmm…
is cooch a swear?

I don't swear too much, but I'm constantly saying inappropriate things…
oh and look what I found in a bag of cheetos?

heh. fuckin a!

I get it!

It looks like a doggy treat.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Bekefel at 9:38PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(offline)
Someone

Termy Said:

I get it!

It looks like a doggy treat.

No no no, you moron!

It's clearly an electric guitar of some kind.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:17AM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:43PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(offline)
you guys are just jealous because I have a delicious micro-penis.
I saved it! it's in a ziplock baggie in my purse!!!
ok, this angle's better (my sister took the other picture, god help her.)

deleted-byrequest-03 at 10:27PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(offline)
Yay for cheetos shaped like penises!

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon