Media Megaforum

Watchmen Official Trailer
ccs1989 at 1:16PM, July 17, 2008
(online)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-rI7TTz2k

Thoughts?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Hawk at 3:19PM, July 17, 2008
(online)
It looks like they've taken down the YouTube video, but I've found another place where we can view it:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watchmen/trailer

And my thought? Wow! Neat! I fully intend to keep an eye on this one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Custard Trout at 4:33PM, July 17, 2008
(offline)
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
lastcall at 4:35PM, July 17, 2008
(offline)
Wow. That looks great. Directed by the guy who did “300”? I'll definitely be watching that. …I never read Watchmen, though I always passed it by in the comic book store shelves. I may have to take a gander at it sometime.

In that trailer, I especially like the use of Smashing Pumpkins' “The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning” from the Batman & Robin soundtrack. Haven't heard that track in a while–makes me want to break out my old CD collection and listen to it again. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
SpANG at 5:59PM, July 17, 2008
(online)
Holy crap that looks good!

Can't wait! :)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Rori at 2:02AM, July 18, 2008
(online)
Man, I just saw that trailer in front of Dark Knight, Holy crap, it looks…like the book. I STILL don't know if they're really going to be able to do justice to the book, but damn, everything I've seen of this movie seems to show total respect to the original material. Also, Silk Specter 2…wowsers.

And if you haven't read the book, start now. It really gets good on the third reading ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
jalford at 2:04AM, July 18, 2008
(online)
Hopefully we won't have to see Dr. Manhanttan's junk in the movie. Or worse, multiple copies of his junk!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
kingofsnake at 5:49AM, July 18, 2008
(online)
The Smashing Pumpkins make this trailer work.

If they used cheesey trailer voiceover guy instead… I'd've thought it looked pretty awful
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 11:42AM, July 18, 2008
(offline)
As insanely excited as I am for Watchmen, (as opposed to V for Vendeta where I suddered) I fear many of the small details that bring the story together like that were not part of the main tale are going to get lost.

I can't image reading the Watchmen without all the “extra” at the end of each chapter the meta-fiction commentary on the story's villian in Tales of the Black Freighter which I can't see being captured in the movie. Without those two elements I fear much of the character's deeper complexities and subtlties maybe lost.

None the less the style it appears to be done in is visually stunning and leaves me very exicted. Though I fear I'll become numb to its constant over visual intensity as I did in 300.

The charcaters seem very well visually represented and many moments faithfully translated Sin City style to the big screen. I want this to be good sooooo badly. I think after the AWFUL slump that is Count Down to Final Crisis DC comics and really all comics in general need to be reminded of what comics could be.

Seriously that song was from Batman & Robin? That just seems histerical given how BAD a comic based movie that was & how good the Watchmen is.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
mlai at 1:05PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
I've never read Watchmen, and unfortunately I think I never will because the art just turns me off. So I'll settle for watching the movie.

I guess it's like the same way that lots of ppl do with Lord of the Rings.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
DAJB at 1:30PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
Damn - I have been dreading the Watchmen movie for so long, absolutely convinced there was no way a film could come anywhere close to doing it justice. But after that …

Well, it could still fail miserably, of course, but it sure looks the part!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Rori at 1:32PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
Dave Gibbons' art turns you off? I know everyone likes what they like, and that's cool, but I'm just curious as to why? I'll admit it took me a bit to take the dive into Watchmen because the art is super dense (and somewhat imposing). But I was so friggin' glad when I did.

I'm kind of worried about the subtleties too. They could really never be rendered in a movie, I think an HBO mini series might be the closest you could come to getting all of that. And even still, part of the undercurrent of Watchmen is not only it's meditation on fate, power and sin, but it's meditation on the medium and genre that it is. That said, I think the basic story has the potential to be stunning on it's own if done well (and I'm crossing all my fingers!), but nothing will ever be all that Watchmen is but Watchmen.
Hawk at 2:14PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
mlai
I've never read Watchmen, and unfortunately I think I never will because the art just turns me off. So I'll settle for watching the movie.

I've only recently read The Watchmen (like, two months ago) and the art bothered me too. It felt strange stepping back into the 80s. But eventually I got over it and the comic was well worth it. I couldn't put it down.

Nick
Seriously that song was from Batman & Robin? That just seems histerical given how BAD a comic based movie that was & how good the Watchmen is.

More appropriately, it was wasted on Batman & Robin. It's always been one of my favorites from the Smashing Pumpkins.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Rori at 7:12PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
Hawk
It felt strange stepping back into the 80s.

I remember the 80s! You made me feel old! hahaha. And even if the style is one that isn't currently in fashion, Gibbons visual storytelling is top-notch. So very worth the read!
DAJB at 1:40AM, July 19, 2008
(online)
mlai
I've never read Watchmen, and unfortunately I think I never will because the art just turns me off.
I can sympathise with that. I put off buying Watchmen for a long, long time because of the artwork.

Art is always a matter of taste and Gibbons's art just isn't to mine. To me, the artwork has always looked dated (even when it was new, back in the 1980s!) and, for the most part, I find his characters look stiff and lifeless. But that's just me. Other people think the artwork makes it.

I'd still recommend that you read it. I'd rate it as one of the all-time classic graphic novels, in spite of not liking the artwork. You might too!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
dueeast at 9:12AM, July 19, 2008
(online)
Watchmen, Batman: The Killing Joke and Camelot 3000 are my favorite graphic novels/series by Alan Moore. I enjoyed his Excalibur as well but it was less epic (probably because it was co-written with Chris Claremont).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
mlai at 6:25PM, July 19, 2008
(online)
Yes I don't deny that Watchmen is probably a literary classic on the strength of its writing/plot alone. I also won't deny that the artist is somehow skilled.

For the record, I don't like only manga art. I like stuff such as Mike Mignola or Claire Wendling. It's simply that his artwork for Watchmen is exactly the subtype of American comics artwork that turns me off, and yes I know that's exactly the look that the artist was going for.

I'm probably read the book if the movie is so good that it gets me excited enough. I'm sure there will be plenty of Watchmen reprints in Barnes & Noble around the time the movie comes out.

JustNoPoint at 9:11PM, July 19, 2008
(online)
I went ahead and ordered Watchmen and The Killing Joke just yesterday. Everyone talks about them so much on here I HAVE to read them if anything just to say I did.

The trailer looks really sweet. They gots my $

I'm trying to get in the habit of buying some “real” comics now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
jalford at 1:33AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
The Owlship looks awesome. Maybe from this there's still a chance of a Blue Beetle & Booster Gold movie.
lastcall at 4:41AM, July 20, 2008
(offline)
JustNoPoint
I'm trying to get in the habit of buying some “real” comics now.

Well then try Sin City (boxed collection for $78 on Amazon, but The Hard Goodbye is always a good starter), Kingdom Come (Alex Ross is one of my favorite artists by far), and I have always enjoyed Fables. Though the art in Fables could be a little better, I always thought the story was great–basically, fairy tale legends living alongside regular New Yorkers. Rose Red's a hooker, Snow White is a lawyer, Prince Charming is a player/gigilo, the Wolf is a detective…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Wills42 at 6:55AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
jalford
Hopefully we won't have to see Dr. Manhanttan's junk in the movie. Or worse, multiple copies of his junk!

You will, but only if you look closely… What?… It was on a giant screen! I didn't intentionally look there, it just happened! What!?

Anyway, looks fantastic. I have the Doctor Manhattan story in some graphic novel collection. Might pick up the book this fall. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out ‘Final Crisis’ :p

Anyone else think that the silk specteres outfit needs to look more… Silky? Unless that's some kind of shiney kind of silk…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Spiderbaby at 4:57PM, July 20, 2008
(offline)
mlai
Yes I don't deny that Watchmen is probably a literary classic on the strength of its writing/plot alone. I also won't deny that the artist is somehow skilled.

For the record, I don't like only manga art. I like stuff such as Mike Mignola or Claire Wendling. It's simply that his artwork for Watchmen is exactly the subtype of American comics artwork that turns me off, and yes I know that's exactly the look that the artist was going for.

Doesn't look very American to me, and I'd say that even if I didn't know that Dave Gibbons was British. One of Watchmen's greatest strengths is it's artwork, which is a completely realistic interpretation of Alan Moore's script. That's the big problem I have with this trailer: all the old friends you know and love are there, but they appear to be faitful adaptations of what the Watchmen would look like had it been drawn by whatever hack is most popular at DC today.

It's hyper-real, it's stylised, and I fear that that's exactly everything that won't work for Watchmen. It should look like Taxi Driver, not 300.

Although, I have to give this trailer 5/5 just for the use of a Smashing Pumpkins song (and an extremely obscure one at that). They've been my favourite band for years. Nice to see quality music on screen, as opposed to My Chemical Romance or whatever shite.

I'm such a grumpy old man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
ttyler at 8:14PM, July 21, 2008
(online)
I think Zack Snyder is a master in the making. He is a visionairy and my favorite filmaker at the moment. If the dawn re-make and 300 are any clue as to watchmen's succsess, then it will be awesome. My only worry is that they won't be able to include all the little things. I've also read that the ending has been altered, which is a bad thing to mess with.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Ziffy88 at 9:49PM, July 21, 2008
(offline)
am I the only person who is not a fan of the remake of Dawn of the Dead. It only looked good and it was not all that compelling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Ziffy88 at 9:50PM, July 21, 2008
(offline)
also watchmen is not only about looking good it is also about the writing. Another thing I still don't like the Night Owl's costume. He's suppose to look silly and chubby that's what he is
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Spiderbaby at 12:51AM, July 22, 2008
(offline)
ttyler
I think Zack Snyder is a master in the making. He is a visionairy and my favorite filmaker at the moment.

This is interesting, because the trailer refers to him as a visionary aswell. I'm not sure how making a slighlty above average remake with some good ideas and a slavishly faithful adaptation of a Frank Miller comic makes you a visionary. He's a fairly competent MTV-friendly director in my opinion, not Kubrick back from the dead.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
jalford at 2:28AM, July 22, 2008
(online)
Hopefully the JLA and Avengers movies will base a little of the “real world” aspect that Watchmen tried to convey, at least in the original comic.
Rori at 4:03PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
IMO Snyder does good work because he surrenders his ego to the work, maybe it's because he didn't get famous for his own work? It makes good remakes and adaptations, but at this point, I might be very scared of a Snyder original! (or who knows, it might be the best thing since pie)

An aside to those wanting to read Watchmen (DO IT!!!), you may not have to buy it, a lot of libraries carry it.
mlai at 8:26PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Doesn't look very American to me, and I'd say that even if I didn't know that Dave Gibbons was British. One of Watchmen's greatest strengths is it's artwork, which is a completely realistic interpretation of Alan Moore's script.
British comics? Hell, I don't know what British comics look like. What are some British comics that we Yankees might know of?
AFAIC, this is Watchmen art, and it's really boring.

Yes yes, this is exactly what the artist was going for, and it's exactly what the script calls for, I know. The Taxi Driver of comic books. I also don't laugh at Charlie Chaplin. Sue me.
I'm probably glad the movie won't look like Taxi Driver. I mean come on, there's a glowing blue guy in the story! How the heck is that supposed to look like Taxi Driver?

Custard Trout at 8:59PM, July 23, 2008
(offline)
Did you deliberately pick out the rape scene?

I'm not crazy about the art either. It seems a bit static to me. I still love the book though.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved