Media Megaforum

Watchmen Official Trailer
Ziffy88 at 9:08PM, July 23, 2008
(offline)
really if you ask me the art is amazing this is such a small part of the book. When you read it whole the art actually is better with all the small details. It's not only about the character designs or the background but some of the angles of the panels or the sequences themselves are really solid
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Custard Trout at 9:24PM, July 23, 2008
(offline)
I didn't say it was bad, just not my cup of tea.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
bobhhh at 5:05PM, July 24, 2008
(offline)
DAJB
To me, the artwork has always looked dated (even when it was new, back in the 1980s!) and, for the most part, I find his characters look stiff and lifeless. But that's just me. Other people think the artwork makes it.

I'd still recommend that you read it. I'd rate it as one of the all-time classic graphic novels, in spite of not liking the artwork. You might too!

I think dated is the point. It goes with the whole deconstruction of the classic super hero comic.

But what really makes the book is the honesty of the characters and the themes which resonate even today in things like Heroes and the Incredibles.

Humanizing super heroes and thusly allowing them to have flaws and a dark side is taken for granted nowadays. The Watchmen is one of those books that led the way.

Personally I think hollywood has gotten the message about comic book adaptations, finally, and are entrusting them to more creative people who are guided by a books original spirit and not the chance to ramp up box office by hiring Richard Pryor or Schwarzanegger.

From what I have seen, I can't wait to see this pic.

ps Anybody else get a chucklefrom Heroes when Syler was first introduced as a repairer of watches? How's that for an homage?
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
bobhhh at 5:11PM, July 24, 2008
(offline)
I thought I'd add simply that I had a similar dislike for the artwork in V, so I can understand how that might ruin an otherwise great story for you.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
Ziffy88 at 11:56PM, July 24, 2008
(offline)
In V the artwork was better without the colors

As for heroes how many other stories did Heroes steal(homage) from it's a bottomless pit
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Doctor Shadow at 1:54AM, July 26, 2008
(online)
Ziffy88
also watchmen is not only about looking good it is also about the writing. Another thing I still don't like the Night Owl's costume. He's suppose to look silly and chubby that's what he is

It depends if you think David (Solid Snake) Hayter can pull it off writing wise.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37538.html

Watch this, not only about the Lost Planet movie but also about the Watchmen. There's a little bit near the end where Hayter says that Alan Moore is positive about the movie and that's rare.
A Ronin writer, a masterless samurai of the written word…
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Chronicles_of_Wyrden/
Updating: Thursdays. Now in glorious Ink Wash and Water Soluble Pencil! Reva's note: This is not created digitally, it's all hand drawn and inked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
DAJB at 10:25AM, July 28, 2008
(online)
Doctor Shadow
Hayter says that Alan Moore is positive about the movie and that's rare.
*gasp!*

It's a damn lie! Moore would never say anything positive about a movie based on one of his books!
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Spiderbaby at 1:02PM, July 28, 2008
(offline)
mlai
British comics? Hell, I don't know what British comics look like. What are some British comics that we Yankees might know of?
AFAIC, this is Watchmen art, and it's really boring.

Yes yes, this is exactly what the artist was going for, and it's exactly what the script calls for, I know. The Taxi Driver of comic books. I also don't laugh at Charlie Chaplin. Sue me.
I'm probably glad the movie won't look like Taxi Driver. I mean come on, there's a glowing blue guy in the story! How the heck is that supposed to look like Taxi Driver?

The point is that a glowing blue guy isn't something you see everyday, unless of course, you're reading a comic book, or for that matter, watching a comic book movie. That's the whole point of the Watchmen's realism - the manner in which glowing blue guys, aliens and men made of sand are traditionally portrayed in comics creates an imaginary escapist world in which we can get lost, yet it also robs us of the juxtaposition of the extraordinary amidst the mundane.

The Watchmen is about superheroes in the real world, and Dave Gibbons art suits that perfectly. Nine panels on every page, a cold, detached view-point - it all works perfectly. The book isn't about using it's artwork to make the reader feel a particular way (I'm sure a lot of artists would have gone to great lengths to amplify the violence and emotion in that rape scene, but Watchmen's strength is that it lets the reader make his or her own mind up about characters and scenes). The book is - shock horror - smart, and the artwork is smart. Without Alan Moore's name on it, it'd never ever be published today.

My problem with the movie is - Frank Miller is one thing. He does what he does and he loves it. Sin City's fun and all, but he just has the one song and keeps playing it over and over. A workman-like director (stand up Robert and Zack) can reproduce a Frank Miller book panel-for-panel and tittilate all the people who are going to be tittilated by that shit, but I think that to adapt a work of genius sucessfully, you've got to be a genius. Sorry Zack.

But I'm willing to be proved wrong.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
jalford at 12:27AM, July 30, 2008
(online)
Miller's lost a few of his marbles over the years too. Just look at his goddamn Batman comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
deepcheese at 4:39PM, Sept. 3, 2008
(online)
I loved reading Watchmen. I'm not really sure whether or not Snyder will be able to pull off something this complex and deep, but I have to admit that I'm excited. I can't wait till we get the theatrical trailer and have a better sense of how closely this movie will follow the story of the book.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
jalford at 1:26AM, Sept. 19, 2008
(online)
As long as Rorschach actually turns out to be a short guy on stilts, then I'm cool with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved