Media Megaforum

Watchmen.
zaymac at 12:13PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
The thing with adapting anything like a Comic book or a book is someone is always gonna be disappointed.

Reading to me is a very personal experience. The writer writes the story, but the reader also breathes his own life into it in the way he hears or imagines certain characters speaking or acting in his or her head.

An example is some have complained about the voice given to Dr. Manhattan. Imagining him to have to voice of a god. However, when I read the book, the way I imagined Manhattan's voice is very similiar to the one in the movie.

I'm not pointing to anyone here, this is just coming from many of my fanboy friends who are nitpicking.

Just take the movie for what it is.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
Insizwa at 12:31AM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
I watched it, and I liked it alot. I was a fan of the book, but I find a lot of people are nit picking. For example in the movie (don't worry it's not an improtant spoiler), “Ozy” organized the first “Watchmen” meeting, but in the book “Captain Metropolis” organized the first “Crime Busters” meeting (in the comic book they never came out and said watchmen). People were actually pissed at that little detail.

And in my opinion the ending of the movie was better than the ending in the comic book. I thought it just tied the story together more than
an island full of artists and a giant fake alien.

All in all, it's worth a watch. Awesome story and killer special effects.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
Custard Trout at 7:37AM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
I don't like the new ending because:

Dr Manhattan is basically played up through the entire story to be this amazing, unstoppable, god like being. He could destroy the world with a thought. So not only would attacking major cities be a stupid thing for him to do, but humanity, united or not, wouldn't stand a chance. Expecting people to unite in a battle they know they can't win is really, really stupid.

With the squid monster Ozymandias is, essentially, still giving people a chance while still scaring them shitless. It didn't matter that it was a squid, it could have been anything. If you're focusing on the fact that it's a squid monster, then you're missing the entire fucking point.

What I'm getting at is that the principle behind the ending has been replaced, and the new one doesn't work.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Skullbie at 8:02AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
The movie sapped out all the metaphors and clever surprising twists of the book, but you can't expect much from todays mass audience? Most go to the movies mainly for ‘lol boobs, lol fights’ and don't want to think. I am Legend actually had filmed the original twist ending, but after so many people in the test screening went ‘i dun geddit i haet it ya’ll' they changed it to the crappy action one.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Dragonizer at 8:17AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Saw it last night, loved it. I only have one thing to say:
RORSCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
TheMidge28 at 5:28PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
I don't like the new ending because:

Dr Manhattan is basically played up through the entire story to be this amazing, unstoppable, god like being. He could destroy the world with a thought. So not only would attacking major cities be a stupid thing for him to do, but humanity, united or not, wouldn't stand a chance. Expecting people to unite in a battle they know they can't win is really, really stupid.

With the squid monster Ozymandias is, essentially, still giving people a chance while still scaring them shitless. It didn't matter that it was a squid, it could have been anything. If you're focusing on the fact that it's a squid monster, then you're missing the entire fucking point.

What I'm getting at is that the principle behind the ending has been replaced, and the new one doesn't work.

Your logic is lacking.
A big unknown squid with psychic powers in death or big naked muscular blue balled superman…

fighting either, united or not seems really, really stupid.

The point in the comic was this unknown entity killed all these people so lets stop fighting each other because we have a bigger problem.
It had nothing to do with a fighting chance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Custard Trout at 6:29PM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
TheMidge28
The point in the comic was this unknown entity killed all these people so lets stop fighting each other because we have a bigger problem.
It had nothing to do with a fighting chance.

Right, but changing it to Dr. Manhattan means that they'd be fighting a bigger problem that they know they can't possibly defeat, since it's pretty much hammered into your brain from the very beginning that Dr. Manhattan is the most powerful being that ever existed, ever. That's the point I'm trying to make here.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
the2ndredbaron at 9:26PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
My problem with the new ending is… well actually as much as I hate to say it ign.com said it better than I.

On the surface level, making Doctor Manhattan the scapegoat sounds like a great alternative… until you realize that there is simply no way the countries of the world are going to set aside their differences and join hands in peace after America's ultimate super-weapon – which he has been touted as for the whole film – is to blame for the deaths of millions. The U.S. and U.S.S.R. are at the very brink of war, remember. Complete and total nuclear annihilation is at hand, with the rest of the world wondering if America might use the blue-skinned ace it has up its sleeve (as it did to win in Vietnam). So given that state of anxiety, if Doctor Manhattan took out the world's major cities, why would any foreign nation now want to work with America for a better future? If there was ever a time when they'd want to wipe us off the map, it'd be after such an attack. As silly as the squid was, it worked because it was an external threat that united these disparate human factions in a common cause against a more powerful outside force. Imagine if the world knew that the squid was an American creation, there would have been no Utopian outcome. Also, by losing the squid and Veidt's experiments in genetic engineering that created it, the inclusion of Bubastis in the film makes absolutely no sense. It's completely random: “And now, for no apparent reason, a blue tiger with antlers.”

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Skullbie at 10:18PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
I think bubastis was thrown in because watchmen fans would get pissed off if she wasn't there, they'd whine

that bubastis was key part in revealing Ozymandias personality, which is true, as she was his closest friend and he killed her with hardly a second thought. As much as i loved the squid, a lot of people reading the comic didn't understand it, and wrote it off as a stupid plan because it's a giant fucking squid. I don't think the movie version could have explained it any better (and even the comic needed 50 pages of Ozymonologues to explain it) so the audience would have been pissed off and went ‘i dun geddiiiit it’s a squid how duuuum D: '. Still ign makes a good point.

JustNoPoint at 6:49AM, March 9, 2009
(online)
I bought the Watchmen Graphic Novel but wanted to see the movie before I read it. Really really enjoyed the movie. The character development was done very well for a pretty large cast in a limited amount of time.

I didn't know about the squid ending in the comic but Bubastis made sense to me. The guy's really smart. So he genetically crafted himself this tiger. He wouldn't need to be experimenting to make a super monster to make that tiger.

And whether the world would come together or not can't be said. I could see why it would. The US pushed it's own super weapon to the point of making it kill millions of it's own people. The only thing they could have done a bit better is play up the fear the US itself has against it's own weapon.

If a being like that went rouge, regardless of what it had allegiance to beforehand-I think the world would be pretty scared.
Though other countries may hope that Dr. Manhattan was switching sides and be trying to get his help. It's hard to say but it is possible that he'd be a great enough fear to bring the world together IMO
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Hakoshen at 7:18AM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
I never read the graphic novel. Therefore, I was able to enjoy the movie without pretense. The ending didn't piss me off. The lack of certain elements didn't piss me off. What pissed me off was the kids in the front of the damn theater taking pictures. However, a quick notification to the manager solved that problem, so overall I enjoyed the movie. It was brutal, and it was unapologetic. And it featured more glowing blue genetalia than I ever care to see again.

However, I saw the movie with a friend who not only owned the graphic novel but showed it to me immediately after the movie so I could see what had changed. Still, we both enjoyed the movie. Plot changes aside, it had good action, well choreographed fights, and some more adult scenes that I'm sure certain adult scenes that I'm sure made parents regret bringing their small children.

Besides, and I say this with all comic book movies; you can't cram ten hours worth of story and plot that worked in a comic into a three hour live action movie and expect perfection. Was it worth the $7.50 I paid to go watch it? Yes. Especially because the ticket was actually free.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
NickGuy at 10:34AM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Watchemn, for me, was like Lord of The Rings. it did the source material so much justice that the movie itself had no identity.

I love how they advertised it as another actiony superhero pocorn Dark Knight kind of shit, when it wasnt that at all.

Watchmen did a good job. however, i wasnt too big a fan of the novel, so my feeling towards the movie is the same.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
DAJB at 1:24AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
I'm a long-time fan of the graphic novel. My wife has never read it (or any other graphic novel). We both enjoyed it. She gave it 8/10; I gave it 8.5

For me, the only thing wrong with it was that the middle section seemed to lose momentum and slowed down the pace far too much for far too long. I'm hoping the extra DVD material will go some way towards addressing that. That aside, I thought it did an excellent job of capturing the essence of the book.

The look was spot on - the sets, the costumes, the effects … all exactly as they should be. The characters were well cast, too. Ozymandias was a little bland and Silk Specter 2, whilst she was fine for most of the film, really didn't have the range to carry off her more emotional scenes towards the end. Those are minor gripes, though. It's an ensemble piece and, as far as I'm concerned, Rorschach, Nite Owl 2, Doc Manhattan and the Comedian were all perfect.

Thanks to the leaking sieve that is the internet, the changed ending was hardly a surprise and I was fully prepared to be infuriated, but … it worked. In fact, it might even work better than the giant squid because of the fact that Jon is assumed to be still out there, watching over humanity to see what it might do next.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, once all the hype has died down and given a few more years, Watchmen may eventually become to super hero movies what Blade Runner is to SciFi. Is anyone else here old enough to remember the lukewarm reception that had from audiences and critics in the wake of Star Wars? Back then, you'd have been hard pressed to find anyone with a good word to say about it. These days it's generally regarded as one of the best SciFi movies ever made.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
DRose at 1:58AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
I was able to get into the midnight showing and I was actually amazed at how much Snyder was able to get out of the book and into the movie. Its not perfect; I do think that some elements of the theme are just lost in film version, I'm not pleased with Ozymandiaz, and Snyder is way too fond of his slow motion but it was probably the best film version of Watchmen that could ever be done.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 7:02AM, March 10, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie
The movie sapped out all the metaphors and clever surprising twists of the book, but you can't expect much from todays mass audience? Most go to the movies mainly for ‘lol boobs, lol fights’ and don't want to think. I am Legend actually had filmed the original twist ending, but after so many people in the test screening went ‘i dun geddit i haet it ya’ll' they changed it to the crappy action one.

Damn! You've found out my reason for watching movies! D:

No, but in all seriousness, Watchmen was a great movie. Not necessarily my favorite movie, but a great one nonetheless.

And I feel incredibly stupid for thinking Ozymandias was a galaxy.
Not sure how.
I did.
(When I started to read the Graphic Novel, I was very tired, and somehow thought Ozy was a galaxy. Makes sense)

Rorschach's voice was a little hard to understand at times. But nothing that would really hurt the movie :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Wills42 at 3:26PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Alllrightyyy.
I really enjoyed the film (Except the stupid family that brought their five and six year old children. Shame on you.)
Anyway, I'll try to make a non spoilery review.
I read Watchmen some time ago, and fell in love with how deep it was, what with all the symbolism, metaphors, and other stuffs. When this movie version was announced, I was greatly excited. When I first saw the trailer, I nearly wet my pants. It was amazing. The attention of detail could be described as almost OCD like. But my problem, after watching the trailer, was this. How do you adapt a Graphic Novel (Series of comics, whatever) into a 2 hour movie? A graphic novel of the size of Watchmen without losing all of the things that made it great, such as the characterization, all of the symbolism, and other such things? I didn't think it could be possible (Then I learned it would be almost 4 hours, then later a more reasonable 3 hours.). I have been almost proven wrong.
Zack Snyder, while not a visionary, was the right man to direct this film, for the most part. The beginning was good, open on The Comedian (Not a spoiler to say this, cause it's in the trailers) who is just watching TV one day, and then murdered, to ‘Unforgettable’. The scene was beautifully shot, and the music fit in perfectly for this scene. (Because the Comedian is ‘unforgettable’ thru the film. :P) Then we have a beautifully done opening credits (This for me was the best part of the film, Bob Dylan's “The Times are a-Changing” fit in while showing us how history had been altered thanks to Superheroes such as the Minutemen.) Then, the film started to go down hill a bit. I'm not going to go on a scene by scene basis, instead I'll just say what I thought was good and bad.
Good:
-Rorschach- Easily going to be the film favorite. Rorschach, as played by Jackie Earle Haley, was awesome, just like in the comics. I could actually understand him, unlike certain OTHER deep voiced heroes *Cough*Batman*Cough*. Jackie obviously loved to play this guy, and what really sold me was the prison scene, in which we see Rorschach at his most bad-ass. He really got Rorschach's more emotional scenes down (I think there was, what, one?)
-The Comedian- Very well done.
-Dr. Manhattan- Please, allow me to get this out of the way… Hahahaha! He's NAKED! HAHA!, okay, I'm done. The CGI was mostly well done! The voice didn't really sit well with me at first, I suppose I always imagined Dr. Manhattan with this deep Godlike voice (Thank god they didn't cast Arnold Schwarzenager like they thought to do years ago.) but it grew on me. The otherworldliness got thru just fine.
-Niteowl- What really sold me was the smile. The prison scene, after all the stuff had happened, and Silk Specter and Nite Owl are done doing stuff. It really got the “Man, this suit makes me feel ALIVE!” thing he had thru the comic come out alright!
-The sets and setting: Beautifully done. Like I said before, Zack Snyder has an almost OCD attention to detail for this film. Be it the city itself (Posters with Adrian on them, the skyline, the zeppelins, the people) or the interiors (Anyone else notice the 3001 on the Comedians door? What was Zack's last film? Yup, 300)(Dan's basement was awesome as well, what with all the gadgets and gizmo's.)
-Whenever Zack didn't stick directly to the comic: I honestly thought that these were the moments the movie shined, such as the opening credits, for example.) These gave the movie some room to breathe, and make it its own. Unfortunately, there weren't enough of these moments.

And now onto the bad.
-Music: Most of the music seemed out of place for me. Be it ‘All along the Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, or the fight music during the Prison scene. It just didn't fit.
-Silk Spectre: Easily the weakest link in the film, she just didn't seem like she enjoyed being there. Most of the stuff was almost Jar Jar Bink like “Do it for Meeee” was heard as “Do it for meeesa”.
-The loss of Characterization: Is just sad. That's where the book really was at. Here are all of these characters, and they mostly just stay static thruought, other than Nite Owl, who went from impotent whiner to big strong superhero.
-No ending dialog between Adrian and Dr. Manhattan. This really irked me. It just felt like there was no closure between the two. Adrian: I blew up bombs and blamed it on you lolz.; Dr. Manhattan: “Oh, okays, I be goingz to mars now lolz.” Really, that's pretty much how I feel like it happened.
-No squid: Kidding! This didn't bother me as much as it bothered some people (The bomb was actually called ‘S.Q.U.I.D.’. Look in the background when Adrian is talking to Dr. Manhattan over tv)
So, I really enjoyed the movie, even though it had it's down moments, like all films do. ‘The Dark Knight’ is being called the best movie ever (By crazy folks) and it had LOTS of down moments. So, in conclusion, I give this film a 8.5 out of 10. Not perfect, but preety damn close.
You may begin your rants now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Product Placement at 4:04PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Now I just saw this film and like some I never read the comics. In fact, I'd never heard of the watchmen until I started seeing the trailers (I'll admit the same thing happened to me regarding V for Vendetta).

I liked the movie and was unaware of the squid monster until I started reading about it here. Maybe one day I'll read the graphic novel but It's been a while since I sank my nose into a comic book.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Hawk at 4:20PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Wills42
-Music: Most of the music seemed out of place for me. Be it ‘All along the Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, or the fight music during the Prison scene. It just didn't fit.

I agree with you on that. I haven't heard a soundtrack this awful since Juno. It was just so unfitting. I think the orchestrated stuff was okay… at least I don't remember any problems with it. But yeah, All Along the Watchtower and some of those others just stuck out and were distracting.

You know what else bugged me? The way Rorschach killed the kidnapper. It just made him look like a brutal monster. The way he did it in the comic made him come off as more calculated and ironic, which I enjoyed. I know Snyder was trying to avoid having people say, “Hey, you ripped off Saw”, but I don't care. Those people would be ignorant.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Skullbie at 10:10PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
What bothered me about the way he killed the kidnapper was he killed him instantly, no torture or burning like in the comic, didn't make him suffer for the sick shit he did-just a painless death. I almost felt that was a positive towards pedohilia ‘hey you can kidnap a girl, torture her, and feed her to your dogs cuz your death won’t be painful!' I didn't like that at all.

I think most american audiences were internally nodding when he sliced him, then wincing. Everyone in the theatre laughed when he yelled ‘you’re locked in here with me!' so i think that got his personality through.

Wills42 at 3:24AM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
What bothered me about the way he killed the kidnapper was he killed him instantly, no torture or burning like in the comic, didn't make him suffer for the sick shit he did-just a painless death. I almost felt that was a positive towards pedohilia ‘hey you can kidnap a girl, torture her, and feed her to your dogs cuz your death won’t be painful!' I didn't like that at all.

I think most american audiences were internally nodding when he sliced him, then wincing. Everyone in the theatre laughed when he yelled ‘you’re locked in here with me!' so i think that got his personality through.
This is another thing that bothered me as well. I actually yelled “NO WAY DUDE!” when he sliced him. People whooped when he yelled the “Locked in there with him” line. I was all like, “Badass Rorschach” and all. (Yes I know I just sounded like an actual teenager there :P)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Hakoshen at 9:57AM, March 11, 2009
(offline)
Hawk
Wills42

I agree with you on that. I haven't heard a soundtrack this awful since Juno.

I have to disagree. Entirely. But I'll leave it at that, as it's no more than a matter of preference.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Walrus at 5:34PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Who wants to watch big blue dicks for three hours? Not me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
zaymac at 7:18PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Walrus
Who wants to watch big blue dicks for three hours? Not me.

Afraid you“ll start questioning you're sexuality there, Walrus? :)

Really, it wasn't nearly as distracting as some are making it out to be.

I actually had more of a problem with some of the violence. It just got so over the top at some points it bordered on campy.

I also think they telegraphed the portrayal of Ozy from the beginning.

To be honest, my favorite scene was when John first went to Mars. I thought the whole Manhattan origin was great, Zack got that part of the book perfect in my opinion.

Also as mentioned earlier about the child murderer scene. I thought Rorshach's new method of disposal was bogus as well. If you're trying to cater to the ”Saw movie" crowd… You've already failed.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
isukun at 7:41PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Saw it, and found a number of changes I didn't like. People have mentioned the ending already. I agree with IGN's review, as well. Plus there are a few other problems in the way the characters are portrayed.

For starters, while John is the one in the comics who advances our technology exponentially, in the movie, he doesn't seem to do much of anything apart from exist as a reminder to Russia to lay off. Most of the technological advancement seems to come from Veidt. They also made John look a bit stupid in that he couldn't figure out what Veidt was doing.

Then there is the inconsistency that John is building a reactor which replicates the kind of power which made him what he is. This would mean that technology could be developed which could hurt or even kill him, making it only a matter of time before he wasn't a threat anymore. The plan in the comics was to present a great unknown. As long as we couldn't find the threat, there was no telling what to expect. John is definitely not an unknown and people were well aware that he wasn't omnipotent.

Then the ending gets even worse when Dan and Laurie just resume their normal lives AND pick up crime fighting again. What the Hell was up with that? Suddenly the Keene Act doesn't apply? People forget who the Silk Spectre is? How were they not linked to the prison break?

I also wasn't too fond on the way they involved Dan in Rorschach's death and then had him tell off Veidt. Then you get John giving Laurie a last kiss rather than slipping away satisfied that she was happy with Dan.

It was kind of unfortunate that they did try really hard to get the majority of the film to follow the comic pretty closely, but kind of blow it at the end. Most of the minor changes didn't bother me that much, but the changes to the ending really didn't work as well as the original ending and in some places actually just didn't make any sense at all.

I also wasn't too fond of the violence in the film. It contradicted the personalities of some of the characters when they are breaking the necks of your average hoodlums. I could see that out of Rorschach, but Dan? I also found the choreography to be pretty lame in places. I could see a hint of 300 in there, but I guess it just doesn't work without the swords.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
the2ndredbaron at 10:23PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Skullbie

I am glad that that change bothered someone else. It wasn't a big change but I did felt it change Rosc, Rochars, him, a little bit.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Hawk at 10:54PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
isukun
I also wasn't too fond of the violence in the film. It contradicted the personalities of some of the characters when they are breaking the necks of your average hoodlums. I could see that out of Rorschach, but Dan? I also found the choreography to be pretty lame in places. I could see a hint of 300 in there, but I guess it just doesn't work without the swords.

It's nice to agree with you on some occasions.

Snyder has a real problem with violence. He lets it become the focal point even at the cost of his characters. And even when it's in character, he has the tendency to overdo it in a way that feels like pandering… like he's saying, "Check this out. Most movies would have the guy just get knocked down. But I show every bone snapping, because I'm special.“ What really epitomized this was when Rorschach bit off a piece of that kid's cheek. Sure, he was biting the kid in the comic, but the slow motion cheek-tearing felt like too much.

The same goes for the dismemberment in the jail. It's actually stupid because it took longer to cut the guy's arms off than it would have to pull his hands back toward the bars and cut the cloth binding them. And they wouldn't have been minus one henchman!

The heightened violence didn't improve the movie for me. I know all the teenagers will argue with me because compound fractures are ”epic win", but I appreciate subtlety. Snyder's dial is always turned up to 11.
Skullbie at 6:15AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
@hawk
He was actually chewing the kids ear off, which i agree the slow-mo was too much. same thing with that gang fight. Silk spectre shoved a knife through a young thugs throat? really? No second thoughts? yeah okee. Comedian beat the living shit out of silk spectre 1 thinking no one would hear? But movie violence and logic just don't mix i guess

skoolmunkee at 11:11AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
I haven't seen the movie or anything, but I want to share that the day the movie came out here, the free daily commuter paper they have here (they give it out on busses and trains) had a 4-page advertisement for the movie in the form of an issue of the New Frontiersman. It was an extra sheet of the paper that was folded around to be the external pages, so the whole thing looked like a different paper from the outside. So the front and rear covers and internal front and rear facing pages, I think, were the ad. There was an ‘article’ about Rorschach still being a mystery, the missing Frieghter writer, stuff about Dr. Manhattan and Ozy, etc. It was actually pretty neat, I saved my copy (though it will probably leave me on recycling day). Someone spent a lot of money for that, I'll bet.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Hawk at 12:49PM, March 12, 2009
(online)
David Hayter (one of The Watchmen's screenwriters) just put out an open letter to all Watchmen fans and movie goers, urging them to go see the movie.

I think it's a bit lacking in class to start begging people to go see your movie (especially a second time), and threatening them with the idea of never having movies like this again if they don't. If his screenwriting is doing its job, then I'll want to see it again, and I'll be telling other people to see it too. (I do want to see it again, but not right away.) And it's not like any commercial failure of Watchmen will close the door on all future serious graphic novel adaptations. That's a little presumptuous.

Here's a fun quote from him:

David Hayter
…I have listened for years, to complaints from true comic book fans, that “not enough movies take the source material seriously.” “Too many movies puss out,” or “They change great stories, just to be commercial.” Well, I f***ing dare you to say any one of those things about this movie.

I think there are more than enough people willing to take him up on that dare.

I honestly think that when all said and done the movie is a pretty good adaptation, barring a few major story points. But the film speaks for itself, as does its humongous advertising budget. I think Hayter to just needs to pipe down and let the movie speak.
DAJB at 1:29AM, March 13, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I think it's a bit lacking in class to start begging people to go see your movie (especially a second time), and threatening them with the idea of never having movies like this again if they don't. That's a little presumptuous.
And a little pointless. It seems most people who enjoyed the film actually want to see it a second time anyway, while the people who didn't won't be going again just because Hayter asks them to!

Hawk
David Hayter
…I have listened for years, to complaints from true comic book fans, that “not enough movies take the source material seriously.” “Too many movies puss out,” or “They change great stories, just to be commercial.” Well, I f***ing dare you to say any one of those things about this movie.
I think there are more than enough people willing to take him up on that dare.
I'm not so sure. You can level a lot of criticisms at this movie, but not being true to the source material isn't one of them. Ending aside, obviously! ;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved