Comic Talk and General Discussion *

We live in the future.
maritalbliss at 3:59PM, April 29, 2007
(online)
The other night, Ethan and I were watching some random television show and the characters were chatting via the internet, with little pictures on the screen. Ethan and I then had a huge discussion on the fact that we are livin' in “the future.” Ethan mentioned that he was glad his dad (who passed away almost exactly a year ago) got to see personal communication devices… I hadn't really thought about it, just took all my gizmos for granted; but, he's right. True, we don't have flyin' cars or anything, but WOW, how far have we come.

My point is…I know I am no where near as savy as the majority of the populace. (I don't even have a phone.) With all the gadgets that are out there, I have no idea what I want. (Not that I need them, it's only wants.) But, where to start? So, people out there in Drunk Duck land…what futuristicy devices do you employ, plug, or can't live without?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Brokenhill at 4:24PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Interesting, I've thought about this alot in my spare time.

My PSP, I use it for Videos on the go, Plus if I hit any wi-fi spots I can browse the internet. Also keep alot of music on it.

My Cell Phone, all my contacts are on that phone

My ibook (this goes without saying)

ipod for music

My GL2, it goes everywhere with me.

I'm not extreamly techy but I do like being connected at all times to the internet ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Hijuda at 5:18PM, April 29, 2007
(online)
iPod,
PC,
Video game consoles,
and my trusty tablet.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Phantom Penguin at 5:36PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Jesus, I remember when I was younger when the new fangled DVD player came out. haha.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
reidavidson at 6:42PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
My girlfriend and I chat on Skype with our webcams and microphones. I mean we can see each other, we can hear each other, whatevah.

Doesn't mean we don't appreciate the time we're actually together. You can't kiss a computer. :(

I'm a modern girl in a modern world, and even I dont think that speaking through a computer is the future. There will always be a desire for actualy human contact.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
Terminal at 8:45PM, April 29, 2007
(online)
This entire thread reminds me of that song by Akira The Don, “Living in The Future”, which talks about how we can see celebrities in bed or watch hostages be beheaded by just a click of a mouse, and all the other luxuries of the future life.

It's amazing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
marine at 11:19PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
Jesus, I remember when I was younger when the new fangled DVD player came out. haha.

I remember Laserdiscs being the big new thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
ketenol at 8:05AM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
I dont go anywhere without my mp3.

Or my flying car.
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
josif at 8:29AM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
- My Super Futuristic 30g video Ipod that I cant live without.
- My Wii
- My PC
- My Mobile (that I rarely use)
- My Tablet
- My DS
- My Xbox
- and thats about it.
Your Reading Skills Have Increased By Two Points.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
SpANG at 10:09AM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Really? Because I look around and I am disappointed that we haven't advanced more.

Where's my laser snow remover?
Where's my flying car?
Where's my food replicator?
Where's my total immersion Virtual Reality*?

* Just an FYI, I believe that total immersion VR will be the end of mankind as we know it. Imagine people having virtual relationships, virtual lives. Never having to deal with rejection, always getting the girl, etc. It's already started somewhat with things like 2nd life, WoW, and the like.

I keep thinking we are taking steps back in technology:

HD was supposed to be the “wave of the future” yet a huge population of people (including myself) watching crappy res videos on UTube.

Why are we still using OIL to power cars? The electric car was the wave of the future, but was literally squashed like a bug by the car companies when they realized that the cars would last too long.

People are more disconnected than they have ever been! You can't even talk to someone for any length of time without cell phones going off, or them using their blackberry. Society doesn't even talk anymore, they just IM their virtual friends.

Stuff that is/was supposed to make our lives easier has done the exact opposite. Except, now, because of technology, we don't even exercise anymore.

Not to mention the steps we have taken back as a society:

Racial hatred? Really? In this day and age? Yep. Sure it's less, but it's still there. As a matter of fact, the hatred has just shifted to other minorities, like illegal aliens and Muslims.

Propaganda spews out of the TV now, be it subtlety or direct. It's like we are back in the 50's, but it's sooo much worse now. Most people are not even informed of the world around them, or just won't care until it's too late. It's not called programming for nothing.

The economy is in the toilet. Jobs are being shipped overseas. Yet, as long as you can get cheap junk at wal-mart, nobody even cares.

And don't even get me started on stem cell research in America (or lack of).

If we live in the future, it's bleak.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
AQua_ng at 10:17AM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
Living in the future? I was going to do that tomorrow.

Anyway, I've got your flying cars right here!

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
wyldflowa at 11:10AM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
People are more disconnected than they have ever been! You can't even talk to someone for any length of time without cell phones going off, or them using their blackberry. Society doesn't even talk anymore, they just IM their virtual friends.
I totally agree with that… it's true that the world has gotten smaller with the invention of aeroplanes and the ability to communicate to people anywhere in the world but people hardly ever connect in person these days~ More people than ever live alone…

I'm quite skint on technology - my main indulgences are my computer and pen tablet and nothing much else. I can't stand telephones, can't afford games consoles (oh christ I want a Wii so bad) and don't watch TV all that much. ^^; Honestly, when I'm not drawing on my comp I'd rather be out walking in the park or somewhere away from all this crappy technology…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Aeon at 11:19AM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Well, there's no technology we can't live without. I was talking with friends recently about how mine is the last generation that's going to remember what it's like to rely on a land-line phone to get in touch with people. When I was in high-school, if you were out of the house there was no way to get in touch with you… I remember pagers being a revolutionary concept.

I was also in high-school when the internet became a household word. I remember doing research projects my sophomore year of high-school and having to go to my friend's father's office to use the internet, because no one we knew had it at home yet. By senior year, I had access at home, and it was another revolution. It boggles my mind to think that there are kids in middle-school now that cannot remember the time before the internet.

Of course, in some ways I was always a little ahead of my peers technologically, because I can't remember a time without a home computer. My dad was always so interested in technology we always had one in the house. When I was born it was a dinky Timex computer, and then a Commodore 64. I learned how to program that sucker as I was learning to read.

I am an internet junkie, but sometimes I grow weary of it, and don't turn on the computer for days at a time. It's easy for me to resent something that's so unnecessary that has become so ubiquitous… and it irks me when my roommates would rather look something up on dictionary.com instead of just opening a book.

I do rely intensively on my cell-phone, although text-messaging is irritating to me– I'd rather my friends just call and have a thirty-second conversation than spend half an hour texting back and forth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
ccs1989 at 2:22PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Wait, people don't use Betamax anymore?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Brokenhill at 5:15PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
Really? Because I look around and I am disappointed that we haven't advanced more.

Where's my laser snow remover?
Where's my flying car?
Where's my food replicator?
Where's my total immersion Virtual Reality*?

* Just an FYI, I believe that total immersion VR will be the end of mankind as we know it. Imagine people having virtual relationships, virtual lives. Never having to deal with rejection, always getting the girl, etc. It's already started somewhat with things like 2nd life, WoW, and the like.

I keep thinking we are taking steps back in technology:

HD was supposed to be the “wave of the future” yet a huge population of people (including myself) watching crappy res videos on UTube.

Why are we still using OIL to power cars? The electric car was the wave of the future, but was literally squashed like a bug by the car companies when they realized that the cars would last too long.

Stuff that is/was supposed to make our lives easier has done the exact opposite. Except, now, because of technology, we don't even exercise anymore.

Not to mention the steps we have taken back as a society:

Racial hatred? Really? In this day and age? Yep. Sure it's less, but it's still there. As a matter of fact, the hatred has just shifted to other minorities, like illegal aliens and Muslims.

Propaganda spews out of the TV now, be it subtlety or direct. It's like we are back in the 50's, but it's sooo much worse now. Most people are not even informed of the world around them, or just won't care until it's too late. It's not called programming for nothing.

The economy is in the toilet. Jobs are being shipped overseas. Yet, as long as you can get cheap junk at wal-mart, nobody even cares.

And don't even get me started on stem cell research in America (or lack of).

If we live in the future, it's bleak.

Gosh I have so many theories related to this its not even funny.

The fact of the matter is, The life style is getting progressivly worse. we are going to have even more “tech” in the future but with morals and ethics at an all time low, who knows where it will take us.

sounds like a nasty sci-fi novel but the sad thing its happening right now as we speak.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Thirdperiodlunch at 5:29PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
My list~
-MY WACOM TABLET WHICH I NEED BACK SOON. It's broken right now. :/
-My laptop
-Microphone
-Super speed internet card thingy
-Webcam
-The INTERNET

…That's pretty much it. Just give me some food, art supplies, and a bathroom and I can entertain myself for months in one room, with these things.

I don't have a cellphone. I don't even like talking on phones, which is really odd because I'm a Ventrilo voice chat addict.
TV is boring. I'll keep my crappy Youtube videos. 8D
I don't have a TV to play videogames on, so no videogame consoles for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Red Slayer at 5:30PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
I want my sexy android slaves!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Dan at 5:42PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
I was living in the future ever since I got a hold of my first mechanical pencil.
“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
legendkiller13 at 5:55PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin

yea wow, has it even been out 10 years? i can remeber em costing 1000$ and now you can get 1 at walmart for like 30 bucks
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Lonnehart at 6:36PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Ah… I remember as a 12 year old watching all these shows about the future on Nickelodeon. Not a lot of them panned out. And some I'm glad haven't come out yet.

Such as the Flying Car. I don't think we're ready for such a thing even now. Even if we had it now we don't have safeguards against midair accidents, sky pollution (too much junk in the air will blot out the sun). Imagine what would happen if a drunk driver or someone under the influence got behind the wheel of such a thing…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Alexis at 7:54PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
The only things I generally use every day are my laptop, my wacom tablet, and the internet. I think the internet is the most futureistic thing that has panned out in reality lately.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
maritalbliss at 9:49PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
AQua_ng

That's pretty neat, man….thanks
maritalbliss at 9:51PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Aeon
Well, there's no technology we can't live without. I was talking with friends recently about how mine is the last generation that's going to remember what it's like to rely on a land-line phone to get in touch with people. When I was in high-school, if you were out of the house there was no way to get in touch with you… I remember pagers being a revolutionary concept.

I was also in high-school when the internet became a household word. I remember doing research projects my sophomore year of high-school and having to go to my friend's father's office to use the internet, because no one we knew had it at home yet. By senior year, I had access at home, and it was another revolution. It boggles my mind to think that there are kids in middle-school now that cannot remember the time before the internet.

Of course, in some ways I was always a little ahead of my peers technologically, because I can't remember a time without a home computer. My dad was always so interested in technology we always had one in the house. When I was born it was a dinky Timex computer, and then a Commodore 64. I learned how to program that sucker as I was learning to read.

I am an internet junkie, but sometimes I grow weary of it, and don't turn on the computer for days at a time. It's easy for me to resent something that's so unnecessary that has become so ubiquitous… and it irks me when my roommates would rather look something up on dictionary.com instead of just opening a book.

I do rely intensively on my cell-phone, although text-messaging is irritating to me– I'd rather my friends just call and have a thirty-second conversation than spend half an hour texting back and forth.

In high school, I had to go to the library. I'm an old lady.
maritalbliss at 9:52PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Red Slayer
I want my sexy android slaves!

“Sex with Robots is more common than people think.”
maritalbliss at 9:53PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Dan
I was living in the future ever since I got a hold of my first mechanical pencil.

That's a beautiful thought.
maritalbliss at 9:58PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Alexis
The only things I generally use every day are my laptop, my wacom tablet, and the internet. I think the internet is the most futureistic thing that has panned out in reality lately.

I totally agree! I use the internet all the friggin' time…It is my prime mode of communication/socialization and I honestly like it that way (That's why I don't have a phone, my friends are realllll talky people and I despise talkin' on the phone…) Plus, it's a library at our fingertips!
Adariel at 10:53PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng

the guy hosting the show never fails to amuse me

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 11:47PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
it's impossible to live in the future…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
reidavidson at 3:35PM, May 1, 2007
(offline)
lol, Kristen. Everyone's deeply discussing societal problems caused by technology and you're sitting there going “wtf? It's not the future! It's the present! D:”

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
mishi_hime at 5:53PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
ha ha ha ha you noobs are STILL living in the present?
oh that was so yesterday.<3
get a time machine already.
Signature.txt
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon