Debate and Discussion

We're sorry, you're over qualified.
Toshubi at 2:11PM, May 1, 2008
(online)
Ever been to a job interview where everything is going great, untill your potential employer looks over you education history and awards and says, “Well you can definintely do the job, but I'm afraid you're over qualified for this position.”
The first thing that goes through my mind is, “WTF!? Wouldn't you WANT someone who's over qualified?”
Of course I keep a smile on my face and give no hint to the frustration going on inside me. We finish the interview and I thank him or her for thier time.

This has happened to me more thimes than I care to remember. I personally think that if I were a bussiness owner, and a “over qualified” person applied for one of my jobs I'd snatch that guy or gal right up. I'd rather have someone who I could wind up promoting in a couple of years rather than hire someone who can just barely do the job.

What are your thoughts on this? Are there any people who are employers who can cast some light on this?
Ya know that tough material they make the “black box” on airplanes?
Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
imshard at 3:08PM, May 1, 2008
(online)
Its a nice way of saying: “you're perfect but we picked somebody else instead”.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Aurora Moon at 3:22PM, May 1, 2008
(offline)
imshard
Its a nice way of saying: “you're perfect but we picked somebody else instead”.

The funny thing is, whenever somebody says that I can't help but think that they're basically saying this:

“You're so perfect for this kind of thing… and that's the problem! I can see you taking over MY job in a few years. so I'm going to just hire somebody else who I can easily boss around for a long time without no problems!”

That's the only vaild excuse I can think of if somebody wouldn't want to hire the “overqualified” person.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
bobhhh at 4:37PM, May 1, 2008
(offline)
In my case its a way of sayin they don't feel like paying for health care for an old guy like me who might get sick sometime soon.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
Vagabond at 7:31PM, May 1, 2008
(online)
I always thought it meant, “Yeah, we know you're going to be gone in half the time it takes to train you.” Interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
skoolmunkee at 12:32AM, May 2, 2008
(online)
Businesses don't like hiring overqualified people because it means that person is much more likely to leave as soon as a better job prospect comes up, which is more likely for them than someone who only has the minimum experience/education. Businesses want someone who will stick around a long time- especially someone who needs the job so much that they wouldn't risk rocking the boat, or quitting in hopes of finding something better. I'd suspect an overqualified person demands more of the business too- better management, etc. More assertive employees aren't always desirable. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
ozoneocean at 3:21AM, May 2, 2008
(online)
Toshubi
Ever been to a job interview where everything is going great, untill your potential employer looks over you education history and awards and says, “Well you can definintely do the job, but I'm afraid you're over qualified for this position.”
I have the perfect solution for you. Tailor your resume for the position. And if you think it says you're too good, swallow your your pride and tone it down. See if that works.

And please, PLEASE, I told you about your sig about 3 times. 250 BY 100, not 250 by 147. Please fix it. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
arteestx at 2:49PM, May 2, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
….Businesses want someone who will stick around a long time- especially someone who needs the job so much that they wouldn't risk rocking the boat, or quitting in hopes of finding something better. I'd suspect an overqualified person demands more of the business too- better management, etc. More assertive employees aren't always desirable. :)
Yes, it does have to do with finding someone who will stay long term. But when I talk to managers, it's not about assertiveness, it's about finding the right fit. If there's a job that is basically a cut and paste job, and you get a resume from a PhD with all sorts of skills, chances are they aren't going to be happy in the long run. That's an extreme example, but it's the basic idea. If a company is going to invest time in you, training, benefits, and everything else, they want to know that you'll be happy with the job. And if you have way more skills than are needed, you're more likely to be bored and/or unhappy.

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
kyupol at 3:52PM, May 2, 2008
(offline)
The boss doesnt wanna be threatened by the employee's qualifications.

The boss always wants to feel that he/she is better than the subordinate. If they see the qualifications and get intimidated, they just say bye bye to you.

Its about maintaining the status quo. I dont want that new hire to be taking my place. So if I'm the boss and I see an applicant with higher qualifications, I'd show him/her out the door after the interview.

So just custom-make your resume to whatever that job wants.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Toshubi at 6:27PM, May 2, 2008
(online)
Oceanzone
And please, PLEASE, I told you about your sig about 3 times. 250 BY 100, not 250 by 147. Please fix it. -_-
Ok I fixed it, (Again).
I've got a question… Why dose Lothar get to have a banner thats 400 X 63 and you don't complain about that?
ozoneocean at 9:29PM, May 2, 2008
(online)
it's still the same?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Product Placement at 6:57PM, May 3, 2008
(online)
I heard once that it was also salary related. A person is suposed to be paid acording to how much education he or she has. An individual overqualified for the position deserves higher salary which the company is not ready to pay. That and the fact the person might leave for a better position.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
mundy at 7:02AM, May 4, 2008
(offline)
I've been unemployed for almost a year because of this whole “overqualified” deal. Too much education to get a part time job and not enough experience to get a career job. Stuck in employment limbo :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Toshubi at 2:57PM, May 4, 2008
(online)
mundy
I've been unemployed for almost a year because of this whole “overqualified” deal. Too much education to get a part time job and not enough experience to get a career job. Stuck in employment limbo

I'm right there with ya. Perhaps the best thing to do as Oceanzone said is to tone down the resume. It just seems like such a waste to have worked hard to get good grades, only to find out that employers would rather hire a moron.
Kali at 8:47AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
I got a similar problem as mundy but the complete opposite of bobhhh. I went to a job interview last monday which went very well with the interviewers but when the personnal manager said “we're looking for someone with experience” they actually meant ‘try again in a couple years’. I was the only applicant who bothered to buy a suit, come prepared and early. None of the other applicants had experience in that department either, they had worse qualifications than I did and I have an extremely low holiday and sickness record! The personnal manager that made the decision, who wasn't even at the interview, took one look at my age and said ‘no’. How in the hell are you supposed to get experience like all these companies want if nobody will employ you to get the experience in the first place. I want to cry.

Fenrir says Grrrrrr!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
isukun at 9:41AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
You would think that overqualified applicants would be ideal for jobs, but from an economic standpoint it makes sense to turn down these people. While they may be better at the jobs, of the company that is hiring, it is a lose-lose situation. They basically see two options when hiring an overqualified worker. The first is to hire you on at a lower pay scale while you use the company as a temporary job while you seek out your real career which you may find two or three months down the road. The other option is to hire you at the top pay scale they are willing to offer and give you periodic raises to get you up to what they think you deserve, which may be a lot more than they were willing to pay to fill the position.

As for the “experience required” bits, ignore them. Just apply for the jobs anyway, go to the interviews, and if they don't call you back in a couple of days or tell you they will call you back on a specific day, call them. Follow up to show you want the job and you care. It makes a better impression than just assuming you won't get the job and odds are, there are a lot of other people without prior professional experience trying to get the same job and you need to show you deserve it more than they do. Employers will typically say they require two or three years experience on everything, but a lot of the time they will still hire you without experience if they like your credentials and your enthusiasm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
usedbooks at 11:58AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
I got my Master's degree, so no one wants me now. I had to leave my home state because of it. (It seems there's a reason that West Virginians don't go to college. They are forced into exile upon graduation.) I worked in a deli for a while but they never wanted to train me for the more interesting/skilled work because they figured I would get a better job and leave. Nope. I left because I can't afford to live on my own. Now I live with my parents. (Though I hear that it's pretty common for college grads to do that for a while.)

I can't get the better jobs because I have no experience. I have no experience because I was a full-time student. I can't get the other jobs because I have a degree. Sometimes employers consider graduate school as experience, but I'm becoming more and more disheartened as I apply to a dozen jobs a week. :-/ ) – Oh, and I can't get experience *now* because internships don't accept people who've been out of school for over a year.

My advice to students is to go for internships while you still can. Some offer a stipend or housing, and you can get a grant for those that don't. After you graduate and start looking at the job market, it's too late. :( … Also, don't major in Biology.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
isukun at 1:19PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
I don't know how it works in the bio world, but I know in my field you can still get internships after you graduate and it is often the best way to seek out permanent employment (otherwise you end up freelancing for a few years to pay the bills until a real job comes along, whereas often a company will hire an intern as a full on employee if they like their work ethic). So, it isn't necessarily true that it is too late to get an internship once you've graduated. Although it is always a good idea to have some money set aside or try to make living arrangements with friends or family members. A lot of internships are unpaid and even if they help you with your living situation and expenses, they aren't likely to help pay off your student loans.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
TheMidge28 at 1:52PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
I have the perfect solution for you. Tailor your resume for the position. And if you think it says you're too good, swallow your your pride and tone it down. See if that works.

Listen to what Ozone said here.
Great advice!
Don't go into the interview with every bit of your work experience and training.
Dumb it down a bit. Play the dumb blond role. Put down as little to meet the basic requirements of what they're looking for and when you interview play the same card but with the personality they can gel with.
Its like a game of poker. Don't let them see what your holding.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
lastcall at 2:12PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Businesses don't like hiring overqualified people because it means that person is much more likely to leave as soon as a better job prospect comes up, which is more likely for them than someone who only has the minimum experience/education. Businesses want someone who will stick around a long time- especially someone who needs the job so much that they wouldn't risk rocking the boat, or quitting in hopes of finding something better. I'd suspect an overqualified person demands more of the business too- better management, etc. More assertive employees aren't always desirable. :)

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Sucks, but it's true.

usedbooks
I can't get the better jobs because I have no experience. I have no experience because I was a full-time student. I can't get the other jobs because I have a degree.

I had the exact same problem when I got out of college. The good, stable, well-paying jobs wanted experience. But I couldn't get experience because those places wouldn't hire me because I was too overqualified. Every time I got a rejection letter saying “We're sorry, you need more experience” I just wanted to scream, “How can I GET experience if no one will GIVE it to me?!?”

…Luckily, 8+ years after college, I found a happy medium designing covers for books at a publishing company. It's not my dream job, and I never would have thought I'd end up here–but I enjoy it, and at least I finally get to use my creativity in a job, and get paid to do it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
highspeedcomics at 11:54AM, Oct. 16, 2008
(offline)
I say if he thinks you're overqualified, you ask him for his job. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
dgriff13 at 2:27PM, Oct. 16, 2008
(online)
I've also received these type of let-downs. I'm a graphic designer. If I'm considered “over-qualified”, it's because they feel I have more talent that what the job offers. Some have flat-out told me “You'll be bored here, it's just type-setting”. No one wants to hire a person they know is going to ditch the company in a year or less when they get bored or feel they aren't reaching their full potential. But, yes, as some else stated, it also could be the interviewer fears for their own job.

It's sure annoying in this economy, when you just need A job, any job. But nothing you can say will convince them you intend to stay, regardless of the talent level required.

best of luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Jellomix at 9:26PM, Oct. 17, 2008
(offline)
Do you have to put all of your education in your profile? *shifty eyes*
Well that sucks, extra education should help you to get jobs… but I sort of understand how it works. The company's just trying to save their own arse.
Sig? Yeah, I'll get to it. >_<
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Scheiden at 6:44AM, Oct. 18, 2008
(offline)
Life is just a huge rat race. The ones ahead wouldn't want someone else gets ahead of them and if given a chance, they'll do anything to take them down. Cruel but true. But not most are like that. Don't worry though. There are still some people out there who, when seeing a potential in another person, decides to hone and take care of it instead of cutting them down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved