Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Web design help needed...
Ryan_Scott at 5:31PM, July 8, 2009
(online)
Ok so while being here on the duck is cool and all and you guys are all super fucking cool… I want to build myself a website outside of Drunkduck (and then mirror it back here, obviously)…

My only problem is that I have NO idea where to begin with this… comic press is probably the way to go but I'm swimming in a sea of confusion.

Any thoughts or ideas on where I should begin?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:41PM, July 8, 2009
(offline)
Well first, you may want to learn some basic HTML skills.

Start here

Hopefully you can memorize the basic tags, which is pretty much…

Someone

Those are pretty much essential.

But then you might want to learn CSS and all that fancy jazz, unless of course, you can find someone who can code it and all that stuff for you.

There's really a lot to learn, and unless you have some super nice friends, I suggest you just take time, and try to learn the most you can.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Ryan_Scott at 5:47PM, July 8, 2009
(online)
this is going to by like learning a second language isn't it? holy fuck beans
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
Arico at 4:05AM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
I recommend the wordpress-comic-thing that's so popular around here. But, that's just the engine that makes your comic work. You're going to have to put your own layout on it. In other words, the layout is what you will see when you go to the site. Like a screenshot.

Once you've drawn your basic layout on paper, or in photoshop, I can see two paths to make it in code:

The first is to design and create your layout (In HTML or CSS or both) from scratch. This will require to learn a lot, and will require an active interest and love for the web-based languages. I'm not going to lie. HTML is quite simple, but a bit archaic without it's complicated counterpart, CSS.

The second option you have is to modify a layout you find online. You can get page source from any webcomic page, and tweak it to make it your own. Replace all the graphics, change the dimensions, and make your own color scheme. You can work off of the default layout that comes with the wordpress comic engine if you like.

Both of these are going to require you to look everything up on google. There is a zillion online html, and css resources online. I recommend W3 Schools. If there's a line of code that you're unsure of, look it up. If you are looking for a command that will do something in specific, look it up. If things aren't working like they're supposed to, look it up.

Anyways. I could write pages on this, but I must bed now. Cheers.

(If this is all too much, and you're really dedicated, you could pay for a webdesigner, or make friends with the right people. That's always easy.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
BlkKnight at 8:39AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Personally, I feel that Wordpress/Comicpress has too much bulk to it and can be more confusing to design around than a simple html page. Then again, I designed my own comic display system and have some bias towards it. If you want to do it yourself, you're best off starting at the w3schools site and knowing someone who is knowledgeable in HTML/CSS/PHP.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved