Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

webcomics: script, update, time
tonik at 7:29AM, April 1, 2006
(offline)
So, I might be the laziest comic updater ever, and I want your advice on:

a) Scripts: what script format/method works best for you?

b) Update: Tips and trick regarding keeping the update schedule?

c) Time: How much time do you spend on one page;
- layout/sketch
- penciling
- inking
- computerstuff/photoshop/etc

thanks in advance
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM
Terminal at 9:48PM, April 1, 2006
(online)
The best way to write a script is to not write a script. Don't think about it, for when your brain thinks about it, you end up with something less. Relax, go outside, listen to some music. Try to get your mind off writing a script, then when it's off your mind. Imagine the scene, play it out like a movie, the script writes it self. That's what I do.

As for updating, there's one thing you should know, procrastination. When you put off a page because you say that's going to take long to do. Then stop that, never do that, for then you'll never do it and end up with nothing and in all the time you were doing nothing, you could of done the page.

I have two comics, which both vary in the time I make them. Comic A takes a lot more time to make, the layout itself takes about 10 minutes. The pencilling takes one or two hours, and the computer stuff takes about 30 minutes. Comic B, which is an animated comic, takes roughly 35-40 minutes to make, from writing to animation. But the reason the comic is made so fast is because it's kinda like South Park. But to make this I have to be in the right writing mood, which is hard. Half the time in making the Comic B is the writing.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
hpkomic at 10:05PM, April 1, 2006
(online)
I can't script, I storyboard my way through my comics.

In fact my storyboards consist of the layouts and everything as well, so I essentially do a comic before I do the comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Eggbert at 11:47PM, April 1, 2006
(offline)
Hpk and I plan comics the same way! I think we should hug.

But yeah, comics being a visual medium, I find it a lot easier to write the story in pictures instead of words. I could never do one of those “PAGE ONE PANEL ONE: Description of thing” sort of scripts. I've seen that some professional comic artists work this way, except they draw really tiny thumbnails of each page, about an 8th the size of the page, to figure out the basic panel layout. I myself draw a full sied comic page in sketchy pencil, then later draw the final page.

Also timewise, the coloring and photoshoppery takes easily twice as long as the planning and drawing and inking, which is why it's me least favorite part.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Giandroid at 12:48PM, April 2, 2006
(offline)
Call me crazy, but I think he's talking about UPDATE scripts. Like, PHP and whatnot.

Anyway, I use QUACT, which Eggbert got me hooked on. If you want one that's more complex BUT more thorough, go for PHPcomic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
tonik at 1:40PM, April 2, 2006
(offline)
thank you all for your comment, especially eggbert for your detailed answer… very helpful take on the scriptwriting.

“Call me crazy” - those are your words ;) actually I dont have a clue what QUACT is. However thank you for your reply.

a) Scripts: what script format/method works best for you?

- thats the thing, I have the dialog written out, then I often rewrite the dialog in photoshop in the balloons. Regarding page 1 panel 1, it is hard of visualize the page; how many panels per page and pacing in a script.

b) Update: Tips and trick regarding keeping the update schedule?

- it is hard keeping the schedule and building up “future updates/pile of pages” with school etc… so I am interested in your experience in this department.

c) Time: How much time do you spend on one page;
- layout/sketch
- penciling
- inking
- computerstuff/photoshop/etc

- working on the pages is a bit time consuming… especially when the goal is to challenge yourself, so the layout/penciling takes some time. Thankfully I dont ink the pages… but the photoshop takes an hour+
Giandroid at 10:52AM, April 3, 2006
(offline)
Oh, you WERE talking about writing COMIC scripts!

All right, my best advice is to not limit yourself. Sounds silly, but that's how I do it. My comic can range from incredibly shoty to amazingly long. Sorry I plugged my site, but that was my best example.

Don't say “I'll ONLY do eight panels” or “I'll only restrict this to so many pixels” unless it's book form. I just could never do that. Let it FLOW! And don't let anything stop it.

And QUACT is a comic update script by Drunk Duck. It has its own comment system too. Here is a good example.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
tonik at 11:39AM, April 3, 2006
(offline)
“Oh, you WERE talking about writing COMIC scripts!”
- I read through my post and I think I would have misunderstood it too.

FinbarReilly, you have a very nice blog site there.
Goblyn at 7:24AM, April 4, 2006
(offline)
I've NEVER written a script… I can't commit to ideas like that. I generally have an idea in my head about the story as a whole, then I throw it on paper, one page at a time. I usually have an idea of how charaters will be interacting/talking or what the narative will be, but the actual layout of the page and the exact words that end up there don;t solidify until they are done. I think that keeps the whole thing fresh for me and goes placess that even I did not expect.

As for updating, I suck at updating regularly, so I don;t know about that. I've tried commiting to a certain amount of time each day to work on my comic which should, in theory, allow me to update on a regular basis, but, alas, this is a comic that I do for fun (no payday, no commitment) so sometimes that slips.

As for time…

sketch - I usually end up sketching out my layout in about 10 minutes or so. Figuring out where the borders will be and where characters will be, etc… This creates a pretty loose frame for me…. When others look at my sketches, they generally have NO idea what is going on.

penciling - I don't pencil. I scan my sketch and load it up in Illustrator.

inking - I ink in Illustrator, and that take from 30 - 60 minutes. This getts me general lines that I can color. This is probably my weakest step (something I really need to work on).

coloring - Here is where the time is spent. I've been spending 3 - 4 hours on a page for colors. Again, I am learning as I go, so I see times improving, but I think that this will always b the biggest part.

post - I usually spend another 30 minutes or so adding text, resizing, getting the page ready to put up.

That's all that I can think of, though. I hope that helped!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved