Media Megaforum

Welcome to hell...DBZ live action trailer (REAL)
Chernobog at 5:58PM, Dec. 26, 2008
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
Chernobog
Wild horses could not drag me to see this movie. I don't consider a license alone to be reason enough for anything.

Please.

This is the ultimate MST3K movie.

It might very well be. That said, I was speaking in regards to making the movie, not what people do with it afterwards. Along that vein, I imagine it's a factor on why many movies based on video games crash and burn.

As an example, I grew up enjoying Dukes of Hazzard, but when the more recent movie(s) came out, I was disgusted. It lacked any feel of what made the original so much silly fun.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
notlikelytocare at 7:01PM, Dec. 26, 2008
(online)
Fuck Fox.

This will be worse than Dragonball: the magic begins.

At least that movie was so horrible it was good.
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
ccs1989 at 7:41PM, Dec. 26, 2008
(online)
It will take many moons full of maths to figure out just how many levels this movie has failed on.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
json at 10:36PM, Dec. 26, 2008
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
Please.

my sentiments exactly! my friends have grown used to my MySTie ramblings and now they join in and try to one up me……this movie is DYING to be riffed a new a$$hole. the only question is to see it on opening day or wait a week when no one is there……
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Product Placement at 11:44PM, Dec. 26, 2008
(online)
Wow.

What? I don't have anything else to say. I'm just gonna sit over there.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Croi Dhubh at 12:24AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
notlikelytocare
Fuck Fox.

This will be worse than Dragonball: the magic begins.

At least that movie was so horrible it was good.
I believe it was made in Korea, too.

Also Dragonball: The Magic Begins is not an officially recognized Dragonball movie. It's basically a higher budget fan film.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
ozoneocean at 3:13AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
MST3K is ok… But El Mondo Del Londo was king.
Although that was usually really super weird quirky stuff…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:41AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
json
LIZARD_B1TE
Please.

my sentiments exactly! my friends have grown used to my MySTie ramblings and now they join in and try to one up me……this movie is DYING to be riffed a new a$$hole. the only question is to see it on opening day or wait a week when no one is there……

When no one is there. It gives you the freedom to riff on it without annoying anyone and spares you the embarrassment of letting other people know you actually saw it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
NickGuy at 9:43AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
Inkmonkey
For an example, I'll take the recent Dark Knight, and more specifically, The Joker. He's a very different character than in the comics: most obviously, he wears makeup instead of suffering from some kind of vaguely defined skin condition.

dark knight was epic failure while this movie will be epic win. and they never said anything about jokers skin

The whole “falling into a vat of chemicals and turning into a clown” thing was a bit too much for the way the new movie series goes.

also, joker didnt become joker by falling into a vat of chemicals in the comic…that was only the 80s movie

Yet they still managed to capture the essence of the Joker

no they didnt

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
NickGuy at 9:45AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
This movie looks awesome btw and IM NOT EVEN BEING SARCASTIC

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
Sea_Cow at 11:14AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
omg thats so awesome! WOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!

I give it 6 out of 5!!! XD

Don't be a JewTuber.

That goes for you, too, NickGuy.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
NickGuy at 11:21AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
No….this movie is going to be entertaining. faithful to the original source material be damned, Im going to see this and i expect to be entertained tremendously.

Croi Dhubh at 11:38AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
God damn, go away troll

NickGuy
Yet they still managed to capture the essence of the Joker

no they didnt
You're not familiar with the original Joker, are you..? The real Joker was nothing more than a serial killer who did things for shits and giggles. This Joker is more the essence of the Joker than any in the past.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Sea_Cow at 11:39AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
NickGuy
No….this movie is going to be entertaining. faithful to the original source material be damned, Im going to see this and i expect to be entertained tremendously.

Eh. I won't stop you. Enjoy your crushing disappointment.
Skullbie at 4:24PM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
This movie will probably be exactly like speed racer; the first half will be slow paced and confusing to anyone who doesn't know the story, and then the second half comes and blows the screen away with awesome. (but everyone left because the first half was so boring)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Sea_Cow at 11:27AM, Dec. 29, 2008
(offline)
I bet they pull a Disney at the end and have all the characters get together and sing a shitty pop song through the credits for no reason.
jgib99 at 10:30PM, Dec. 29, 2008
(online)
Wow. That looks like its going to be sucktastic.

Since Hollywood is starting to rape popular anime shows. I guess we can expect a Hollywood version of Naruto and Inuyasha soon.Oh, I can't wait!!!
Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
json at 10:45PM, Dec. 29, 2008
(online)
NickGuy
The whole “falling into a vat of chemicals and turning into a clown” thing was a bit too much for the way the new movie series goes.

also, joker didnt become joker by falling into a vat of chemicals in the comic…that was only the 80s movie

actually….the most common reference to the joker's appearance is the “vat of acid” origin. it is the originfor the joker used in “the killing joke” (arguably the BEST batman comic of all time!). and, correct me if i'm wrong somebody, but was also the very FIRST origin story ever used for the joker in the 50's when batman was still haunting detective comics. i could be wrong about THAT one, but i KNOW i'm right about “the killing joke”. i own the graphic novel and i can even scan the pages as proof if need be.

*edit* god bless the interwebs!! the best series of tubes invented by al gore!!
detective comics #168 1951. that's one or two years before the 89 movie came out, i think.
mlai at 11:13PM, Dec. 29, 2008
(online)
Sub
oh chow yun fat, how you have fallen. i remember when i used to think of you as a total badass.
Actually, HK action cinema features a lot of slapstick or character exaggeration that mixes in with the slick action. Chow isn't immune to this; he played a gambler who became a comic-relief retarded man for instance.

So, I agree if this movie was made in the vein of Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, it would've been a good movie, or at least more faithful to the DB manga. This way, Chow can be as perverted as his chara is supposed to be, and it'd be okay. You can have both Mr.Bean-type gags and Hiroshima-leveling explosions in the same HK movie… Americans aren't quite used to that.

Goku should not be a high schooler. He never went to school. He's not the type of person to go to school anyways. It's true that he is like a wild wolf-child. And this story needed to take place in the alternate-Earth the manga takes place in, with its egg-like buildings and strange anthro-citizens, in order for the society the story takes place in to even make sense.

This movie is like taking LOTR and putting it in Europe circa 1000AD, and then expecting the movie to make sense.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
NickGuy at 9:43AM, Dec. 30, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
This movie will probably be exactly like speed racer; the first half will be slow paced and confusing to anyone who doesn't know the story, and then the second half comes and blows the screen away with awesome. (but everyone left because the first half was so boring)

man, i would so hope for that, but i really doubt it, since this movie doesnt have as awesome of special effects. the ending to speed racer was the best ending in a movie ever.

what im expecting is to be entertained. I dont care if the plot is stupid, or if goku doesnt act like goku is supposed to. this better have awesome as all hell fight scenes. if it can just do that then i will like this movie. it wont be the greatest movie ever…but it could be the greatest movie evar.

I find it weird that people are getting so overtly irate about this and seem absolutely mystified when im willing to give the movie a chance. I dont expect this to be faithful to the anime or anything. I dont expect the characters to act like their anime counterparts. It's Hollywood, after all. But I DO expect to be entertained. You can argue over wether or not the characters will be a certain way or not, but there's no way you can argue about wether or not youll be entertained by it. I expect to have a hell of a good time at the theater, but if i hear any bitching and whining ill do a repeat of philly.

lba at 10:36AM, Dec. 30, 2008
(online)
Skullbie

I couldn't get past the fact that the colours in that movie looked like some nuclear reactor vomited all over the place. I give it that they didn't try to make it serious and just went with an over the top approach to the characters and story to fit the CGI being obviously non-realistic, but I just flat out didn't like even as a stand alone deal.

I think so far as the DB movie goes, I'll be doing the same thing as json. Even if it turns out as a good movie on it's own, it's the kind of movie that just begs for you to get drunk while watching it because it is so over the top silly looking ( In a different way than the source material. ).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Sea_Cow at 10:42AM, Dec. 30, 2008
(offline)
jgib99
Hollywood version of Naruto

Thanks. I just stopped believing in God.
json at 2:43PM, Dec. 30, 2008
(online)
i get into this “argument” a lot on internet forums…a couple times on here too, if my mind doesn't mistake me…
but, why can't these kind of movies be more than mindless popcorn flicks? there is potential in the YEARS and YEARS of mythos to tell a really good story with characters that look and feel like the characters from the story their taken from.

but yet, all we get is mindless stuff blowing up and people beating eachother up…..that JUST HAPPEN to have the same named characters that the movie's title suggests they are supposed to be.
lastcall at 5:32PM, Dec. 30, 2008
(offline)
If it's anything like the TV shows, one fight move will last the entire length of the movie. ;)

Imagine if the Wachowski Brothers worked on this film. It would be candy-coated dizziness, like Speed Racer. Just watching the preview for that crap movie made me dizzy.

EDIT: Looks like Skullbie beat me to this idea, lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Sea_Cow at 8:12PM, Dec. 30, 2008
(offline)
lastcall
If it's anything like the TV shows, one fight move will last the entire length of the movie. ;)

No shit. He spent like 15 episodes charging his kamamahehmamablergh, only for it to fail. Then the fight REALLY began.
json at 12:41AM, Dec. 31, 2008
(online)
Sea_Cow
lastcall

No shit. He spent like 15 episodes charging his kamamahehmamablergh, only for it to fail. Then the fight REALLY began.

very true. i always hated how in DBZ they'd stand around and talk and charge up for literally 8 episodes only to have nothing happen. kind of like the last episode of heroes: season 1.
ozoneocean at 8:29AM, Dec. 31, 2008
(online)
json
i always hated how in DBZ they'd stand around and talk and charge up for literally 8 episodes only to have nothing happen.
Most people do.
I don't think that was because of poor writing really, I just think it was an amazingly cheap crappy piece of shit cartoon and that sort of thing was easy to do within the budget. While Dragon Ball was fairly well done and had great little pervy stories, all that was gone by the time of DBZ. The artwork was amazingly cheap and crappy considering when it was made. It got better in later series though.

————————-
I agree with what you're saying json, in that with comics/cartoons like Dragon Ball you've got a lot of material to work with, all the stuff already done for you, a lot of good elements in there to mine, and yet when it comes to movies they seem to ignore almost all of it and do their own versions. Only retaining simplistic, token elements of the source material.

It's strange… Very strange.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
timethief at 6:33PM, Jan. 1, 2009
(offline)
my wife says it looks nice. Then again, she has never been a Dragonball fan in the first place, and she is the one who actually liked the live-action Street Fighter movie because she thought it was a parody like Scary Movie.

Personally, I believe this movie fails on a great many aspects, but it all boils down to what ozoneocean said: they only take the name and some superficial elements to justify using the license, and then basically do whatever they want with it. It's the same mistake they made with the Catwoman movie, and the mistake Marvel is NOT doing with the Avengers since they are handling the adaptations themselves.
Hollywood is very formulaic. If something is successful, and they get their hands on a similar property, then you can bet the farm the second property is going to be treated similarly to the first, even if the similarity is only percieved by the Hollywood execs. When they got the Dragonball license, they went like, “so, this is an animated show, right? Well, Transformers was an animated show and the movie did pretty well. So we take this OTHER animated show and do something farely similar, and it should be a hit, right? Right?”
Which is what makes me shiver when I hear that there are working on another Masters of the Universe flick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
isukun at 7:30PM, Jan. 1, 2009
(online)
I don't think that was because of poor writing really, I just think it was an amazingly cheap crappy piece of shit cartoon and that sort of thing was easy to do within the budget.

Actually, it was due to a lack of writing. It's the same reason Dragonball Z even exists. The manga was simply Dragonball all the way from Red Ribbon Army to Majin Buu. The anime series took a break between the two series when the anime caught up to the manga. When they started up again, they added the “Z”. When the series starts to drag in the Freiza saga it's because they caught up again and didn't have any material to base the episodes off of. They had to slow things down on the anime and that's where DBZ gets it's infamous problems with distorted time. The animation on DBZ actually isn't all that cheap for its time and the quality actually goes up quite a bit between the beginning and end of the series.

Honestly, though, I don't see why anyone was expecting anything good out of this movie. It seemed pretty obvious this movie as going to be crap back when they announced the damn thing. I even warned people that Stephan Chow had nothing to do with the making of the movie beyond casting and yet people still thought he was going to somehow magically save a movie that he had no hand in writing or directing.

The big thing that bothers me about all this is that I really don't think the original creators of these series give a rat's ass what the Hollywood studios do with them. The Japanese studios and artists are perfectly content to simply collect their royalty fees and let the American studios rip a property to shreds. They seem a little more reluctant to do that in Japan (although it can happen, it isn't as blatant as it is in the US) and thy at least TRY to keep the spirit of the original.

Well, at least there is a new DBZ special that just came out that is probably going to be more worth my time than this piece of crap.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Bekefel at 7:57PM, Jan. 1, 2009
(offline)
You guys are all idiots this is going to be the best movie ever
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved