Media Megaforum

Welcome to hell...DBZ live action trailer (REAL)
NickGuy at 10:10AM, Jan. 2, 2009
(online)
Bekefel
You guys are all idiots this is going to be the best movie EVAR

fixed, and AMEN

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
NickGuy at 10:13AM, Jan. 2, 2009
(online)
isukun
The big thing that bothers me about all this is that I really don't think the original creators of these series give a rat's ass what the Hollywood studios do with them. The Japanese studios and artists are perfectly content to simply collect their royalty fees and let the American studios rip a property to shreds.
and what exactly is wrong with that? Akira Toriyama HIMSELF has said he hates Dragonball and he doesn't want to be remembered only as the guy who did DB….if he has no problem with this movie, why do other people get so mad?

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
Sea_Cow at 2:54PM, Jan. 2, 2009
(offline)
NickGuy
isukun
The big thing that bothers me about all this is that I really don't think the original creators of these series give a rat's ass what the Hollywood studios do with them. The Japanese studios and artists are perfectly content to simply collect their royalty fees and let the American studios rip a property to shreds.
and what exactly is wrong with that? Akira Toriyama HIMSELF has said he hates Dragonball and he doesn't want to be remembered only as the guy who did DB….if he has no problem with this movie, why do other people get so mad?

I agree. The only outcome is that a movie is made and the azn gets his money from all the Nickguys and kyupols and Bekefels around the world.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
isukun at 8:51PM, Jan. 2, 2009
(online)
Akira Toriyama HIMSELF has said he hates Dragonball and he doesn't want to be remembered only as the guy who did DB

You would think if that were really true he wouldn't have felt the need to write that special that came out this year or include references to the series in the newer Dr. Slump series. You still saw references to DBZ even in his later games and anime series. If he hated it so much, I doubt he'd bother.

if he has no problem with this movie, why do other people get so mad?

He DID have a problem with the movie. Toriyama was originally hired on as a consultant, but Fox claimed he expected too much, so they paid him off to remove him from the original crew. I seriously doubt Toriyama would have been willing to do that in Japan. If these creators had a bit more backbone when it came to Hollywood, WE could probably get a better movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ccs1989 at 10:29AM, Jan. 3, 2009
(online)
Sea_Cow
jgib99
Hollywood version of Naruto

Thanks. I just stopped believing in God.

Naruto sucks. It's just DBZ with Ninjas. At least DBZ and DB were the first of their kind (sorta).
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
NickGuy at 10:44AM, Jan. 3, 2009
(online)
ccs1989
Sea_Cow
jgib99
Hollywood version of Naruto

Thanks. I just stopped believing in God.

Naruto sucks. It's just DBZ with Ninjas. At least DBZ and DB were the first of their kind (sorta).

im not a million percent sure about this, but wasnt DB a parody of tough-guy mangas already out at the time when it debuted? its only later that it became THE tough guy manga.

isukun at 8:34PM, Jan. 3, 2009
(online)
Dragonball parodies a number of different things including popular manga and anime from the time. Most of the themes and gags are carried over from his previous series, Dr. Slump (I don't think they ever explain how the moon keeps coming back in that series, either), except that Dragonball has more continuity to it and was intended to be more of an adventure series. There wasn't much in it that hadn't been done before, even by Toriyama, himself.
timethief at 6:46PM, Jan. 4, 2009
(offline)
in any case, what makes DragonBall work, in my opinion, is the unique mix of epic action and lowbrow, cheap humor that only Toriyama (and a couple other guys, the director of Kung Fu Hustle and the author of Atland come to mind) can handle. And that aspect seems to be completely lost in the movie, judging from the trailers alone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Skullbie at 12:15AM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Sea_Cow at 8:18PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie

Hoho! What good clean cartoon humor!
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
mlai at 9:11PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
In the NES game, you pick up this item that looks like a white-bread sandwich with an olive on top… it restores your health…

I always thought it was a sandwich cut into a triangular half.

Until the strategy guide told me it's Bulma's panties.

Edit: No wait… no strategy guide ever told me that… I figured it out one fine day, while reading DB and realizing that her panties looked suspiciously like something.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
isukun at 11:30PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
Yup, turned upside down and called a sandwich to protect all those American kiddies. Personally, I think kids need a little depravity in their entertainment. At least it gives them some foundation of what is socially acceptable and what isn't rather than just keeping them in the dark so they make their own assumptions.
timethief at 6:36PM, Jan. 7, 2009
(offline)
yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. No way in Hell is Oolong going to play with Bulma's panties in the movie… if he even shows up at all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
the2ndredbaron at 9:54PM, Jan. 7, 2009
(online)
Am I the only one who wished that this movie was a scene for scene remake of Dragon Ball Z. Heck instead of a movie it should be a tv show with live actors. It would be fantastic. But yea everyone is complaining about how bad this movie is when the even worse crime happening is G.I. Joe. That movie is going to crush more childhood memories than Dragon Ball.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
Chernobog at 11:52PM, Jan. 7, 2009
(offline)
Huh! Dragon Power was a very peculiar little game.
But I thought the ‘sandwich’ made you run faster?

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
json at 1:06AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
the2ndredbaron
Am I the only one who wished that this movie was a scene for scene remake of Dragon Ball Z. Heck instead of a movie it should be a tv show with live actors. It would be fantastic. But yea everyone is complaining about how bad this movie is when the even worse crime happening is G.I. Joe. That movie is going to crush more childhood memories than Dragon Ball.

oh yes……childhoods will be raped…..

i have read the final script. i am not allowed to talk about it with my friends. but it will cause DEEP HURTING to everyone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
mlai at 4:12AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
Chernobog
Huh! Dragon Power was a very peculiar little game.
But I thought the ‘sandwich’ made you run faster?
I loved that game. Only problem with it was that there are no Continues. The furthest I've ever gotten is that jungle native boss who climbs on vines and shoots arrows at you.

If only there was a way to Continue in that game…

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
isukun at 7:40AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
No way in Hell is Oolong going to play with Bulma's panties in the movie… if he even shows up at all.

Supposedly all animal characters were cut from the story, so I kind of doubt he'll be there.
Dark Clown at 3:49PM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
Well… We just died a lot inside…. Why must Hollywood do this…

no… We will not let it happen again.. We will stop them…..

We will annihilate them all

This Fluid feels like Pain, This stoic mood is all in vain.
I reach into the dark, I tear this other me apart.
How many years ago, How many deaths I can't let go.
My Flesh Is Temporary, My God Extraordinary.
You… can''t… Kill… My… MIND!!!!!

The War Will continue, Just on a different battle field
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:06PM
kyupol at 6:09PM, Jan. 14, 2009
(online)
Skullbie

COMMUNIST PIG!!! lol!
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
ShinuZero at 8:14AM, Jan. 15, 2009
(online)
I'm going to try hard to watch this movie objectively…
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Warpedwenger at 1:21PM, Jan. 18, 2009
(online)
This movie is gon'na be so DANG funny it's not even right!… What? You're tellin me it's not a comedy :/ Oh well I'll be there laughin my ass off.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
NickGuy at 12:19PM, Jan. 19, 2009
(online)
json
i have read the final script. i am not allowed to talk about it with my friends. but it will cause DEEP HURTING to everyone.

YOU BE PMING IT TO ME

Downpour_guy at 5:29AM, Feb. 5, 2009
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
SarahN
*sigh*

Wait a minute…those capsule things in DB that hold vehicles and houses in them don't look like transformers! They go “POOF” damnit! =/

If you are going to complain about something, complain about Bulma's hair not being blue. Because, clearly, that is the most horrible crime this movie commits.

So, what about Piccolo not being green?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
NickGuy at 1:42PM, Feb. 5, 2009
(online)
picolo is photosynthetic in this movie, DUH. hes yellow when he shows up but with more exposure to the sun he slowly becomes green.

honestly….

Downpour_guy at 4:31PM, Feb. 5, 2009
(offline)
Oh, ok.

Clears that up, ha ha.

Seriously though, I understand the realistic take on Batman, because it's possible.

But they are using a Japanese manga as source material that involves flying, Kamehameha's, balls that summon a dragon, talking animals, a green man, dinosaurs, a boy that turns into a monkey, a midget with dots on his head and a dude with 3 eyes.

And a huge fan base that doesn't want it tampered with.

And they seem to think they can take as realistic an approach to it as possible.

I think they have opened the Pandora's box of really bad live action reboots. The next few years are going to be littered with really bad movies.

You'll have Ghost in the Shell, but it'll be like a Matrix spin-off.

And Gundam, that'll be like a couple of mega-zords clashing.
isukun at 6:06PM, Feb. 5, 2009
(online)
There is already a live action Gundam movie.
Downpour_guy at 4:30AM, Feb. 6, 2009
(offline)
Wow, that slipped past me real good!

Looks ok too, not how I thought it would look.

Cheers for that.
Inkmonkey at 10:20AM, Feb. 6, 2009
(offline)
Warpedwenger
This movie is gon'na be so DANG funny it's not even right!… What? You're tellin me it's not a comedy :/ Oh well I'll be there laughin my ass off.

It should be a comedy, though. I mean, if they're basing this on Dragonball and not Z. Though Z did maintain a lot of the comedy roots, DB was very much a comedy series about martial arts, as opposed to a martial arts series with bits of comedy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Dark Pascual at 10:41AM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
I really want to think that this movie is gonna turn out like Ang Lee's Hulk. They made a crappy movie right now and then a new director takes it and says “Screw it, lets do it again”.

Honestly, I don't thinkg Im gonna see it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved