Debate and Discussion

Westboro Baptist Church (hate mongering at its best)
reconjsh at 6:48PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
It's sad, but I was in the Army to defend people's right to say hate like this. *sigh*

These guys are so far from Jesus that the devil probably has their chants on a mix tape labeled: “All-time Greatest Hits Vol. 2”. But, we have to at least acknowledge their right to protest like this.

I witnessed this first hand… it made the most evil parts of me rise to the surface and I wanted nothing more than some rope and some rusty razor blades… and immunity for my actions. The hate from these guys just radiates… it's a physical sensation; I felt covered in slime. It took my commrades andand I a lot to not react violently. I'm glad we didn't… because it was the right thing to do. :(

It's a shame we have to tolerate this kind of evil. It's a shame they're allowed to cheer at the death of a soldier at his funeral. It's a shame… ah, you get the point.

What really astonishes me is that they do this in the name of Jesus and God. I have to wonder, did they even read the Bible? Seriously. Jesus had an uncanny knack for preaching to the people as they needed to be preached to… what was best for the individual/group. He didn't yell “God hates whores” to the prostitute washing his feet… he didn't say to the theif on the cross next to him: “hey, you shouldn't of stolen, dumbass”. He embraced the sinner and loved the theif… and promised them both redemption. I'm left wondering “if they read the Bible, aren't they aware that this kind of hate is sin… and if they are, who is their target audience? Jesus only used force only one time… in the temple when he threw out the corrupt merchants. Who are these people to presume that God wants them to use violence and hate as their weapon of choice when Jesus, himself, didn't even choose force but one time”.

This just baffles me. Some “patriot” will probably kill these people someday… and I somehow doubt many tears will be shed for them.

Just thinking about this makes me feel dirty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
jakey926 at 7:01PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
man that is full of BULL!!! damn racists i outa slap them all and kick their asses MK style!!!
the only thing dumber than this signature is the one who's reading it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Rich at 7:28PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
Noone takes these guys seriously. They are too damn over the top to be looked at as anything other than attention whores.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
reconjsh at 8:43PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
Rich
Noone takes these guys seriously. They are too damn over the top to be looked at as anything other than attention whores.

Mostly true. Grieving widows and mothers probably take them seriously. :/

I think a larger problem is these people are preaching a message of hate on a christian platform… and the rest of the world just chalks this up as one more reason why “christianity is wrong” when the fact is these people are definitely not christian… or at least, not students of Christ.

Like I always say, you got to practice with the team… OR YOU'RE NOT ON THE TEAM.
subcultured at 9:00PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
this took me like 5 hrs, but it was totally worth it…since they like to demonize people, lets see how they like it.

**edit**
i've change it to the utube version.
If you guys wanna comment on it on utube, just click the screen
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Aurora Moon at 9:30PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
Rich

Mostly true. Grieving widows and mothers probably take them seriously. :/

I think a larger problem is these people are preaching a message of hate on a christian platform… and the rest of the world just chalks this up as one more reason why “christianity is wrong” when the fact is these people are definitely not christian… or at least, not students of Christ.

Like I always say, you got to practice with the team… OR YOU'RE NOT ON THE TEAM.

that's the thing. they believe that they're actually practicing christainty, that they're “playing for the team”…. and that's the scary thing.
It's just like how Hilter was raised an good christain boy and all that. look at how he turned out, huh?

It's the whole interperation of the bible bit… and even then, the bible does have some content… that's rather… hate-filled in itself. Owning slaves, sodom and gorramah, etc.. so on forth. there's even some passages where “god” talks about killing children and women in great detail… talking about how he did such things.

So I can see how that could led some people to have warped thoughts thinking that they're Christain…. when in reality they just follow the bible's content and not Christ's teachings…

Yes, I believe there's a difference between following the bible and following Christ.
I believe one can not believe in the bible and still believe in Jesus and God.

you get what I mean, I hope.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
WingNut at 9:41PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Sub, you're my hero. Plain and simple.

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
reconjsh at 10:05PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
WingNut

-W
Woot. Well done subbie. That was worth a few good laughs.

You know what Wingnut?… she looked kind if zombie-esque… if you know what I'm saying. How about we get the old possie together and… where's my baseball bat?

In fact, the whole group kind of looks zombie-ish. Hmmm… *thinks*
WingNut at 10:12PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
*Lovingly stroke my trusted crowbar*

Hello there you beautiful little thing you. :)

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
The mediocre one at 6:43AM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
WingNut

-W

I second…third…whatever that motion.
Paper Mache Cataclysm
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
kingofsnake at 7:29AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
I got 45 seconds into that bullshit before I had to stop listening. Why is it that competant people of religion are never on TV? Why is it always the looneys who claim shit is the wrath of God? It's no wonder so many people associate established religion with hatemongering. I garuntee, for every horrible thing done by members of religion, there were just as many members of that religion saying “Hey, thats not what our religion's about. Cut it out.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ozoneocean at 7:55AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
Why is it always the looneys who claim shit is the wrath of God?
I don't think any of the broadcasts were anti religious though: i.e. not especially using Westbro as an example of the craziness of religion. I think they're more just about the strange, horrible phenomena they present.

I say that because those FOX people are obviously pretty devout, and some of the events Westbro were picketing were church type events. Even the Leader of their enemies the Patriot Guard was introduced as a pastor. It's unlikely their motive was to make an anti Christian statement by showing “crazy” Christians picketing ostensibly “normal” Christians.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
kingofsnake at 8:38AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
I don't think any of the broadcasts were anti religious though: i.e. not especially using Westbro as an example of the craziness of religion.

I didn't mean to insinuate that they were. Crazy people just get more coverage in general than normal people, so it's not surprising that you see more crazy religious people than normal religious people. It just feels like you only see religious people on main stream TV when they're out of their effin mind. And crazy religious people are at least three times crazy than ordinary crazy people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
subcultured at 8:39AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
well, they are more louder
J
reconjsh at 11:43AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
subcultured
well, they are more louder
so true…

and, chaos sells. Smut sells. Boring… truth or not… doesn't sell. And Chevy and Doritos have got product to move. lol.

On a side note, I usually don't like Hannity OR Colmbs (spellings?)… but I kind of enjoyed most of what they said to that chick.
The mediocre one at 11:49AM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Now that i've thought about it they're like forum trolls, they're probably only doing it to get attention. What's the easiest way to get people to listen to you, and also the perfect way to piss them off? Use god in it. What would hurt them the most? Mocking the martyrs. They just can't do it with jesus, so they use soldiers.
Paper Mache Cataclysm
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
ozoneocean at 11:54AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
The mediocre one
Now that i've thought about it they're like forum trolls,
Exactly.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
SpANG at 12:09PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
The mediocre one
Now that i've thought about it they're like forum trolls, they're probably only doing it to get attention. What's the easiest way to get people to listen to you, and also the perfect way to piss them off? Use god in it. What would hurt them the most? Mocking the martyrs. They just can't do it with jesus, so they use soldiers.

Huh. That's actually a really good analogy.
Except instead of being "anonymous' like a troll, they just use the first amendment.

They're are lower than.. dare I say… People that spam.

I can't stress it enough though. I know these people are idiots, but we can't take away their rights to free speech, lest we be next.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
reconjsh at 12:14PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
I don't understand where they extrapolate the use of hate, anger, violence, slander, cussing, etc… from the Bible… or as something christian. I can't answer that. I wonder how they'd answer it?

What tenet of christianity makes their behavior okay? The truth or untruth of their message is irrelevant… a sin is a sin. And I'm wondering why they think their sin is okay when trying to defeat another “sin”.

Can anyone put themselves in that church's shoes and answer that? I just can't find any justification to sin in order to combat another “sin”.

Rape. I think we can agree rape is a sin. So, where in christianity would it give me the right to use violence, hate, anger, slander, cussing, shock, etc against innocents or non-innocents to protest rape? I'm not talking about fighting rape while it's occuring… I'm talking about just protesting the concept of rape… which is what these guys are doing… protesting a concept.

*sigh* Did you guys know that they have like 20+ family members that are lawyers or are attending school with the intention of becoming a lawyer? I find that pretty amusing. Too bad one of them didn't decide to study theology and/or the Bible, rofl!
SpANG at 12:27PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
I don't understand where they extrapolate the use of hate, anger, violence, slander, cussing, etc… from the Bible… or as something christian. I can't answer that. I wonder how they'd answer it?
Why did Bin Laden think the 9/11 attacks were ‘blessed by God’ too?

Same reason, I guess. Perspective. It's all about what you are taught, and what you believe.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Neilsama at 12:50PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
*sigh* Did you guys know that they have like 20+ family members that are lawyers or are attending school with the intention of becoming a lawyer? I find that pretty amusing.
I don't find that funny at all. I find that pretty scary. Whenever you have people of warped religious pracices studying law, the outcome is never good.

Aurora Moon
It's the whole interperation of the bible bit… and even then, the bible does have some content… that's rather… hate-filled in itself. Owning slaves, sodom and gorramah, etc.. so on forth. there's even some passages where “god” talks about killing children and women in great detail… talking about how he did such things.

So I can see how that could led some people to have warped thoughts thinking that they're Christain…. when in reality they just follow the bible's content and not Christ's teachings…
Well, I'm not going to argue that they aren't warping their version of Christianity isn't warped. After all, even I have to admit that you have to do some real theological mental gymnastics to get to their level. Basically, they take the laws of the Old Testament and the principle that God is unchanging to superimpose the barbarism into the New Testament. In other words, God wanted you to stone homosexuals in the Old Testament, why would he not want you to do it in the New Testament?

Again, that's their logic; not mine.

Of course, how could I possibly post in a topic like this without saying something that'll likely honk off at least a couple people. See, I'm not really interested in quibbling over true Christianity and false Christianity, because in either case, homosexuality is still considered a sin, which I think is shameful.

Not only do I not think that homosexuality is a sin, I think it's downlright evil to even cast such negativity upon people who are only doing what makes them happy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Rydel6 at 12:57PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
I've never in my life wanted to perform genocide on a family as badly as I have now.

I had heard about these guys since the funeral of Matthew Shepard. Being so involved in the gay community I've had a long standing hatred with these guys way before they became this anti-American hate group, so it kinda makes me mad that it took this long for people to realize how evil they were.

This sort of hatred is a gateway drug…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
subcultured at 1:03PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
this is like a zombie film, but i vote for the zombies to win
J
bongotezz at 1:54PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
there can be no peace as long as religion exists. these guys prove it because these guys are our terrorists. these are the guys that would crash planes into buildings and blow up people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
reconjsh at 2:04PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
SpANG
reconjsh
Why did Bin Laden think the 9/11 attacks were ‘blessed by God’ too?

Same reason, I guess. Perspective. It's all about what you are taught, and what you believe.
Oh, I agree. It's about what you are taught and believe.

I just don't think there's a real tenet of christianity and/or the Bible that supports this behavior. Just like I don't think there's any real justification in islam and/or the Quran to justify 9/11. It's just radicals that hear/read what they want to and act on their own whims (though, sometimes their “own whims” cause ignorant people to act with them) instead of by an actual tenet of their faith.
mechanical_lullaby at 2:14PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
bongotezz
there can be no peace as long as religion exists. these guys prove it because these guys are our terrorists. these are the guys that would crash planes into buildings and blow up people.
I'm not a big fan of organized religion myself, but there are the more peaceful religions that make me feel glad because somewhere someone's content with what they believe in and they're not hurting anyone. I know I'm being optimistic, but that's the way I am about these things.
Those people, however, need a serious spanking by my cold robotic palm and the realization that things like holy wars and gay people aren't going to stop because they're whining too badly about it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Atom Apple at 2:38PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
This just baffles me. Some “patriot” will probably kill these people someday… and I somehow doubt many tears will be shed for them.

Just thinking about this makes me feel dirty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Violence_against_Westboro
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
subcultured at 2:42PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
hahaha the “vintage massacre”
Someone
During a March 26, 1993 protest at Topeka's Vintage Restaurant, a riot broke out and eight WBC members were hospitalized for various minor injuries; WBC now pickets the restaurant every day, as well as the places of business where employees went after leaving the Vintage in an attempt to escape Westboro. In addition, the congregants hold a memorial service every year on the 26th, commemorating what they refer to as “the Vintage Massacre”.

they seem like kids who put thier finger one inch from you and saying “i'm not touching you”
J
Atom Apple at 2:52PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
http://godhateswbc.com/
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
CorruptComics at 3:53PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
This group does not deserve a topic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM

Forgot Password