Media Megaforum

What anime are you worshipping now?
ozoneocean at 11:29PM, May 28, 2006
(online)
Stain
I'm currently deep in a state of instrumentality, for I am obsessed with Evangelion. This has to be the greatest anime I've ever seen.
wtf? It's ok, a bit symbolic though, and a bit too much of a comment on anime genre cliches. I found I could never take the actual story too seriously. The other aspects were more interesting though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
ccs1989 at 6:52AM, May 29, 2006
(online)
Great marketing scheme for Gainax. Create one anime which mind-f***s people into thinking it's deep and that the studio is amazing, then release more movies to go along with it, and THEN release shit like Mahoromatic.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
AQua_ng at 7:23AM, May 29, 2006
(online)
I'm into watching Pokémon because I'm awesome like that.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Marl at 11:02AM, May 29, 2006
(offline)
I'm into the Hellsing OVA right now. Been a fan of the manga for some time, and I only recently got my hands on the 13-episode series and OVA. It's not too shabby, really. I'm completely in love with the OVA's style, and quality of animation. =)
“Rawglrglrglrglrgl!” quoth the murloc, his wrath inflamed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
ccs1989 at 11:26AM, May 29, 2006
(online)
I was really dissapointed in the music for the Hellsing OVA. The music for the series was the only thing they did right, and then the OVA had hardly any good music…

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Terminal at 11:50AM, May 29, 2006
(online)
Now I'm just rewatching Boogiepop Phantom.
..I love the dark electronica music.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
widdlestgoff at 10:24PM, May 30, 2006
(offline)
I've gotten out of my worshipping phase, but I can tell you what titles I've been enjoying lately.

Gallery Fake: Only seen a couple episodes of this, but I like it. It kind of has this nice Detective Conan-esque feel whilst being completely different. I like all the art info it gives you.

Yakitate!! Japan: The bread anime. It's really fun and educational as well.

Ouran High School Host Club: I recently got into this. At first it seems like gag-me-with a spoon shoujo action, but then it dawns on you that it's actually an ingenius parody. The art style is really relaxing somehow, maybe it's all the curving lines.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
isukun at 9:35AM, June 28, 2006
(online)
It is based on an adult game released by the company Type-Moon. The company is also known for making the original game for Tsukihime. There are quite a few anime series which are based on adult software. Most are cleaner than the original games. You can find a few in the US like Comic Party and Tsukihime, but most don't get past fan subs.

Fate/Stay Night has a sequel game called Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. I wouldn't be surprised if that also got an anime release in the future.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Mimarin at 11:06AM, June 28, 2006
(offline)
Gantz.

Seriously if you havent seen it go watch Gantz, its awsome, except for the circumstances when the characters suddenly decide it is a bad idea to actually do something useful, which would be fine if their persistant inaction didnt get everyone killed. but it has more head explosions than most and plenty of nudity to boot!
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Aurora Moon at 12:06AM, June 29, 2006
(offline)
lol. do you guys mind if I simply list some animes that I've watched, and my reviews on them?

Sailor Moon–
my very first anime that I got into a long while ago. in fact I have the whole series on DVDS, and none of that crappy dubbing neither.
Once you get past the filler episodes that they have at times, and just really get into the plot, it's a very great anime series…
Although I have to honestly say that Sailor Stars, the fifth and last season, is the very best season out of them all. the action and plot became more intense, more fast-paced.. and the best part? hardly any filler episodes at all to distract you away from the plot and such.
And yes, I cried a lot at the parts of Sailor Stars.
although… the whole Manga series of Sailor Moon was much more gory and graphic than the anime itself..

Excel Saga–
It's a very funny comedy show.. that's just full of random and “WTF??” happenings. the plot… you got a very hyper girl named Excel who's completely in love with this guy who dreams of taking over the world.
And whats more, the Guy named Illa's or something weird like that, he's pretty much insane in that calm way. He honestly believes that he can take over the world, and so he set up an headquarters in the sewers.. and recruited Excel to be one of his first minions.
over time, more characters appears along the way, such as the Martian Princess Hyatt, who dies and revives herself more than you can count..
and immigrant worker Pedro, who's got his own side-story going on too…
In fact, there's so many characters in this anime…
you got your classic Good VS Bad battles (too bad both sides are equally insane for you to ever pick a side), movie parodies, anime parodies, etc.

Tenchi Muyo!–
Probably the only “harem” story that I actually liked, probably because it was my first. and the girls in it isn't just normal girls or whatever…
you got Mad Scientist Washu, The two alien princess Aykea and Sasami, Space pirate Ryoko. you also got the cute little cabbit, space police officer Mishisohi and That green-haired girl (forgot her name), the two wooden robots… and so on forth.
I guess you could say that I love this anime not just because of the whole harem, but rather for it Sci-fi plot instead… the battles here are awesome. :)
I hated some of the spin offs though, such as Tenchi Universe. booring… although there was some epodises I liked.

Magical project S: Tenchi Muyo spin off. but this time we focus on Sasami and the cabbit (my two favorite characters!), in an magical girl parody going on.
Sasami Kawaii is just an normal girl living on Earth… but an magical world named Juarielium or something like that, has plans for her.
Tsunami and one other woman is competing to become the new queen of the magical world..
and the council dedices that Tsunami should become the new queen, but only if she chooses somebody from earth to help her restore Gemini's balance… and of course she picks Sasami!
she sends Ryoko-ko, the cabbit who actually talks in this series, to Sasami.
The other woman who didn't get picked.. she becomes jealous, and wants the queen position for herself. so of course she has to infere, so she picks somebody to become an bad magical girl.. by brainwashing Sasami's own best friend! and that's only the start of epodise one.. ^^;;
there's so many twists and turns in this anime, and plus it's very funny too.

Steel Angel Kurumi:
You got a young boy (around 12 years old it seems) who's living in pre-modern Japan… think the ‘40s or much earlier than that… since they got those very old cars and the old flapper fashions, but most Japanese people are still wearing kimonos and living rather old fashioned.
but he quickly stumbles into an plot inducing this beautiful pink-haired girl who seems to be calling him “master”, and on top of that she seems to have super strength, etc…
and that’s when he finds out that he's now the owner of an “Steel Angel”… in other words, an human robot.
and suddenly he finds himself in middle of battles, etc.. and even working for the military when he's nothing but a priest in training!
but this seems beyond japan's technology at this time… so it seems that there's something bigger behind it all, something to do with time traveling.
I won't say much more than that ;)

I enjoyed that anime… it had a lot of funny moments but also a lot of serious, sad moments. and of course, I loved the action. plus…nudity, and suggested lesbainsm… a lot of it.

Neo Ranga–
on the surface, it almost seems to be yet another robot anime.. but… yet it's not. there's not even any robots at all.
yes, you've got this giant werid creature that those three sisters can control, but it's actually living..
those three sisters find out that they're actually descended from kings, kings who ruled this island, where the giant creature came from.
but they dedice that they'd rather go back to live in japan, and live normally. but unfountely, the giant creature follows them back to japan!
and suddenly thier whole lives changes…
they become alienated from thier peers. some hates and fears them for bringing the monster.
and some wants them to become heroes, and protect the city using the monster from whatever dangers there is out there.
so the sisters are faced with some serious choices…
do they go back to the island, leaving the lives they had, forever?
or do they stay?
do they use the monster for good or evil?
should they find some way to kill or get rid of the monster, even though the monster hasn't actually done any damage at all, besides scaring a whole lot of people?
or should they just use the monster to become powerful?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
SarahN at 12:24AM, June 29, 2006
(online)
Has anyone ever seen Haunted Junction? One of the funnier animes to me…right along with Ranma1/2.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
jalford at 2:02AM, June 29, 2006
(online)
That only got released on subbed VHS and briefly on subbed DVD too through Bandai. They didn't have alot of faith on some of their earlier releases like Don't Leave Me Alone Daisy and Eat-Man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Barguest at 9:46AM, June 29, 2006
(offline)
Mimarin
Gantz.

Seriously if you havent seen it go watch Gantz, its awsome, except for the circumstances when the characters suddenly decide it is a bad idea to actually do something useful, which would be fine if their persistant inaction didnt get everyone killed. but it has more head explosions than most and plenty of nudity to boot!

I bought the season one boxset a week ago. It seemed really really…well, contentless. There's no plot, it all just runs off of the gimmick of “SO VIOLENT IT WAS CENSORED IN JAPAN LOL” and the main characters are such sissys. All they friggin do I stand around complaining about how they morally can't do a single thing that's useful, and it doesn't help that they killed my favorite character (the pyschopath 8th grader). Though I did laugh long and hard at the “would you have sex with your pet?” episode. I probably won't pick up season two, but it was a good way to waste the first week off of school. I am reading the manga however which is pretty cool.

I have a real obsession with two series at this point.

Monster: It's a big mystery series where the main characters go around Germany looking for a murderer. The writing's great, it's very clever, and I was happy to see just because of the length of the series there's no dip in quality (It's 70 episodes long). You can get it off of anime suki with bittorrent since it isn't licensed yet.

Berserk: Yeah, saw the series a year ago and I'm still utterly obsessed over it. I'm reading the manga now and it's amazing, but as a standalone anime I'm utterly impressed with the amount of emotion every character evokes. To show how obsessed with it I am I own a Gutts and Griffith plushy (yes, most inappropriate plushies ever. So angry, but so cute :3 ) and I swear when I turn 18 I'm getting a “brand” tattoo somewhere XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
isukun at 10:31PM, June 29, 2006
(online)
If you DL anime subs and you haven't seen this one, I suggest you do before it gets licensed and becomes harder to find. Based on how popular this franchise is in Japan, it won't be very long before it gets licensed.

Too late. Geneon announced the license back at Anime Expo ‘05. It’s been off of animesuki for quite some time now. You won't find torrents of it at legit sites.

Mimarin at 2:42PM, July 2, 2006
(offline)
Barguest
I bought the season one boxset a week ago. It seemed really really…well, contentless. There's no plot, it all just runs off of the gimmick of “SO VIOLENT IT WAS CENSORED IN JAPAN LOL” and the main characters are such sissys. All they friggin do I stand around complaining about how they morally can't do a single thing that's useful, and it doesn't help that they killed my favorite character (the pyschopath 8th grader). Though I did laugh long and hard at the “would you have sex with your pet?” episode. I probably won't pick up season two, but it was a good way to waste the first week off of school. I am reading the manga however which is pretty cool.

I agree it is often pretty blah, particually during the bits when they arent actually doing anything that you want to see, IE anything which dosent involve them fighting aliens. I've just finished watching the series and the ending is the biggest copout in the history of anime, the single most annoying thing is the way the characters never manage to grasp the fact that when you are fighting shitloads of angry aliens hellbent on ripping you in half that standing around doing absoloutley nothing is a really bad idea.
the failiure of the characters to actually be useful coupled with all the characters who are remotley useful or interesting being killed off in really lame ways severly detracts from the series.

I would still recomend it just for the high quality animation and insane amounts of violence but expect to be horribly disapointed if you want to see a good ending or tollerable characters.

Barguest at 9:36AM, July 3, 2006
(offline)
Mimarin
I would still recomend it just for the high quality animation and insane amounts of violence but expect to be horribly disapointed if you want to see a good ending or tollerable characters.

It might be worth it to see if you can find scanulations of the manga. The manga is still running and it doesn't suffer from the sort of gimmicky violence that the anime did (since in manga there's way more violent stuff.) I'm also told it gets even more bizarre than the series. Like they're fighting vampires now and stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
ccs1989 at 2:11PM, July 3, 2006
(online)
I couldn't get into the Gantz manga, and I won't bother to pick up the anime. The manga was sorta interesting, but too much fanservice and objectification (spelling?) of women made it undesirable to me. See, I love the series Berserk because the violence and the ways that certain chracters treat women end up creating a better picture of how utterly horrible the world in which Guts lives in is. However in Gantz it just felt…pointless. I like other series like Hellsing which also have pointless violence though also, but unlike Hellsing Gantz lags. This makes it boring as well as offending.

The plot also felt …blah.

Radmetalmonk at 6:41AM, July 16, 2006
(online)
right now? none…
although GTO was pretty awesome…really funny, well written I'd say for a comedy anime. Also elfen lied was excellent. Lots more, but meh, it's been wayyyyy to long.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
Kxela at 3:00PM, July 16, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
I couldn't get into the Gantz manga, and I won't bother to pick up the anime. The manga was sorta interesting, but too much fanservice and objectification (spelling?) of women made it undesirable to me. See, I love the series Berserk because the violence and the ways that certain chracters treat women end up creating a better picture of how utterly horrible the world in which Guts lives in is. However in Gantz it just felt…pointless. I like other series like Hellsing which also have pointless violence though also, but unlike Hellsing Gantz lags. This makes it boring as well as offending.

The plot also felt …blah.

Is the manga series Berserk very different from the anime? (I know the anime ends really early or something with that damn cliffhanger end)

Letsee, Elfen Lied was really awesome and yes it has been long.
The one anime I guess i'm into right now is Mai..eh My-Hime. The whole series isnt out yet here in the US.. Finished Samurai Champloo a little while ago…

oh right new anime-
Karas, (which is more of a OAV Movie than a series) is really cool, the animation is awesome 2D 3D combination… THe first movie I believe is a new release. Check it out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
isukun at 5:17PM, July 16, 2006
(online)
Is the manga series Berserk very different from the anime? (I know the anime ends really early or something with that damn cliffhanger end)

The anime pretty much just covers the flashback portion of the manga. It doesn't stray too far from the manga storyline, but the manga is still ongoing and much, MUCH longer and more involved than the anime. They've tried to touch on some of the manga material with the video games and for a while there were hints of a possible movie or OAV. so far, no further anime series or projects have been released, though.

As far as writing goes, though, the part of the series that was made into the anime is probably the strongest part of the series. It didn't rely so much on the supernatural element, you didn't get annoying characters like Puck, and Caska actually had a personality. Even so, it's really a shame the PS2 game didn't make it out over here. I picked up the import and it's a much better game with closer ties to the manga storyline than the Dreamcast game.

ccs1989 at 8:37PM, July 16, 2006
(online)
Yeah, the flashback storyline and everything up to volume 23 made Berserk feel epic and involved. With volume 24 through 30, the series has slowed down, which annoys me greatly. Volume 30 did barely anything to advance the plot…

Anyway, I'm really into Avatar right now. It's not an anime, but it's really asian-inspired. It's also a lot shorter than most anime aimed at the 7-14 age group, and it manages to have consistantly good voice acting and has at least one character that people from all walks of life can relate to. While there are a few corney scenes and bad dialogue ('mad genius'? Who the hell says that?!) those are offset by extrmely awesome sequences (the Agni-Kai comes to mind.) Plus Mark Hamill plays the final baddy, and season one's finale was incredibly epic. I recommend it to everyone as long as you're not completely jaded.

BigFishComic at 5:42PM, Aug. 16, 2006
(offline)
avatar is my kiddy guilty pleasure.

right now i'm downloading kiba and ouran high school (?)

Anybody know if they're actually good?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Mimarin at 5:50PM, Aug. 16, 2006
(offline)
Not a clue.

I just finished watching planetes, THAT WAS FUCKING ANIME, really watch it right now. That name again is PLANETES watch a few episodes and its awsomeness explains itself.

Titch at 9:39PM, Aug. 16, 2006
(offline)
The Boondocks. It's not “true” anime *glares at the crowd of ‘japanimation’ purists* but it does use the parts of the style very effectively.

Beserk was cool, although the Manga was better (Except for Puck, I just want to punch him in the face). I'm devoted to Full Metal Alchemist. Oh, and I really want to see Ghost in the Shell, 2nd Gig.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
isukun at 12:51AM, Aug. 17, 2006
(online)
right now i'm downloading kiba and ouran high school (?)

Anybody know if they're actually good?

Kiba I couldn't get into. It started out almost interesting, but kind fo degraded into something more generic after the first episode. Ouran is a more interesting series if you're willing to accept it as parody and not take anything in it too seriously.

BigFishComic at 4:26PM, Aug. 17, 2006
(offline)
yeah I just started watching the first couple of episodes of kiba…that old man has the most annoying laugh. “ohOhOhOhOhO”

it's generic shounen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
stardusty at 3:28PM, Aug. 18, 2006
(online)
I've been worshipping Revolutionary Girl Utena since like 1996.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Mimarin at 4:45PM, Aug. 18, 2006
(offline)
I don't hear the sound of you all watching planetes!

deletedbyrequest03 at 6:52PM, Aug. 25, 2006
(offline)
I've like the whole Rurouni Kenshin series!!! I mean, the end of Samurai X left me in tears, and I never cry for stuff! It was so beauuutiful ^_^ (aside from the blood)

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ccs1989 at 12:12PM, Aug. 26, 2006
(online)
Kyoto Arc of Kenshin, if watched in Japanese, is awesome.

And I'm still into Avatar. I can't find any anime with characters this fun.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved