Media Megaforum

What anime are you worshipping now?
subcultured at 6:51PM, Jan. 26, 2007
(online)
i rather just read the comic if they are gonna use static images on 50% of the video
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
isukun at 9:25PM, Jan. 26, 2007
(online)
Coloring is nice, movement is abhorrent. Action scenes consist of one still scene of the character lunging with his mouth moving, which they play three times, and then another scene where someone's been defeated. And the walking it…arghhh.

I did warn you. Of course, it also doesn't help that the series has a really, REALLY bad story line (I mean come on, “the disease of death”?) chopped up into five minute episodes (you'd think at that length they could have afforded to animate something) and then ending on a cliffhanger (not that it's any surprise why it wasn't picked up for a sequel). Even the craptacular Hanoka flash anime was better than Vampire Duo and that looked like something some thirteen-year-old would have posted on Newgrounds.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
kaminari at 1:31AM, Jan. 27, 2007
(online)
isukun
I wouldn't recommend really trying ot keep up with Bartender.

And the new Sasami series has actually been out for a while.Personally, I've really liked this new trend towards more down-to-earth characters in anime, so I like the series….

I also got obsessed with NHK ni Youkoso..

I have also been liking Ghost Hunt recently. I could see it being a really creepy live action show if it were made in the US.

Okay, so no more Bartender and his “Glass of God” and how the tender part of the word means “kindness” (yeesh)

I saw the first Sasami episode and well, I didnt like it as a big fan of Pretty Sammy (and Chisa Yokoyama). It probably would have been better as completely non-tenchi related characters. I also found it kind of dull and struggling to find a quirky uniqueness through old, heavily-used characters. Incidentally, The last Tenchi OVA that came was something I had been hoping for for years now, and I thought it was pretty boring. I did like GXP though.

I havent seen NHK ni Youkoso, but it looks like soemthing I'll check out (got ep.1 on the way!), and as for Ghost Hunt… It doesn't strike me as unique from the reviews.. Maybe I'll take a look later!

I watched 7eps of Kekkaishi tonight and enjoyed it! Its one I will definitely continue.

On another interesting note, I found out that my favorite voice actor does the voice of L in Death Note! I had no idea, but of course, now I can hear it ^_^
I like Kappei Yamaguchi so much, that I downloaded eps of South Park dubbed in Japanese just to hear him as Kyle!

And on the Devilman OVA, that was one of the first anime vids I ever bought way back in 1995. I wish they'd release the sub on DVD, but another company has the rights to it and wont release it. Lucky I happened to find their much older VHS releases *huggle* because the Japanese version is almost like a different movie because of the difference in dialog.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
mlai at 7:07AM, Jan. 29, 2007
(online)
Naruto doesn't use cheap animation. What are u talking about? Naruto art is beautiful, both from anime and American standards AFAIC. IMO, it's a perfect blend which incorporates true anatomy without losing that animesque beauty.

If you're talking about the episodes where the art suddenly goes into a simplified style so that the action frames can be ramped up… (1)That's a worthy trade off, (2)even the simplified art style has its own beauty. There are animes done entirely in that simplied style and I love them for it.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ccs1989 at 9:16AM, Jan. 29, 2007
(online)
Naruto definitely uses cheap animation. They wouldn't be able to produce so many episodes in such a limited if they didn't use cheap animation. I said they cover it up well. Sure, action scenes in Naruto are done fairly well, but in most other cases they use a lot of tricks to make things look nice.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
mlai at 10:59AM, Jan. 29, 2007
(online)
Tricks, like what?

Re-used frames? Never caught one.

DBZ pan shots? Some, but never as bad as DBZ.

Bad art? Never seen any.

Still life with flapping mouths? Nope.

So, what tricks?

Granted, I watched Neon Genesis Eva and never noticed any of their “tricks” either.

isukun at 11:04AM, Jan. 29, 2007
(online)
Granted, I watched Neon Genesis Eva and never noticed any of their “tricks” either.

You must not have paid very close attention, then. How could you miss the lengthy elevator and escalator scenes. One wasted a full two minutes and nothing happened. Just a single still shot with no dialog for two minutes. Eva was all about “meaningful silence” and featured a lot of scenes with awkward moments with no dialog and no animation.
mlai at 1:30PM, Jan. 29, 2007
(online)
Oh yeah, those. And all those black screens with disembodies voices and squiggly lines posing as animation.

I guess as long as fight scenes are well done and not recycled, I'm good with everything else. :p

Rubygem at 9:01PM, Jan. 29, 2007
(offline)
it would have to be bleach right now
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
kaminari at 1:31AM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
Bleach is okay… but not great.. It has a glaring, overused cliche in its premise and others scattered throughout.
I collect production art and there are collectors that think Ichigo is the BEST anime guy ever >.<
I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about…

same goes for Hellsing.. I thought it was boring and lacked originality and charm.
I kinda have a thing against vampire stories being that they are overused villains/anti-heros who all seem the same. I mean, as an example, Hellsing is basically a more dark/violent less bishonen-filled version of Nightwalker which came out a few years before. I think Blood+ was the only recent one that interested me because it was pretty unique in an odd way.

I also am one of those rare people who thought Ghost in the Shell was one damn boring movie.. I tried so many times to watch it and either fell asleep or changed the channel. Once it came on subbed and I think I watched a bulk of it then, but it still didn't thrill me. I dont wanna see the second film and the tv series isn't appealing to me either from what Ive seen of it. (though I did like Dominion Tank Police).

Oh and on the topic of EVA. The new movies are slated for release in the next two years. Anyone excited for that? Personally, I think they should just let the series be and stop trying to milk it by changing it… again and again… and again and again!

I am anxious to see the new Giant Robo series. From what Ive seen, I seriously doubt it will be as amazing as the OVA for the 90's which is one of my all time favorites with one of teh best endings ever, but this one might be pretty good!
Too bad its not a sequel to that series =|
They do that old AIC thing where they make the TV series different but based on the same premise and original characters (like they did with Tenchi, El Hazard, and Battle Athletess)… And Gin Rei is unfortunately not an original Yokoyama Giant Robo character, so she isnt in this series. (from what Im seeing)

isukun at 6:13AM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
Oh and on the topic of EVA. The new movies are slated for release in the next two years. Anyone excited for that?

Are you talking about animated movies? Last I heard the live action film was stuck in “lack of funding limbo.” Either way I can't say I'd be all that excited. I didn't like the original movies. I thought they ruined an otherwise fulfilling ending. With the live action movie, they're changing a lot and since they've been trying to sell it on the crappy storyline from one of their awful dub writers at ADV, I doubt they'll be changing much once they find the funding and a production team. Gainax killed Eva on their own. They really should leave it dead.

From what Ive seen, I seriously doubt it will be as amazing as the OVA for the 90's which is one of my all time favorites with one of teh best endings ever, but this one might be pretty good!

The Giant Robo OAVs were practically a work of art in the anime world. I still can't understand why it never got the sequel it deserved. It was insanely popular, although I guess the high cost and production times must have caught up to them in the end. Although, supposedly Imagawa is working on a new chapter in the Giant Robo OAV universe. It's just in manga form for the time being, but who knows, it could get animated one of these days. The TV series seems to be getting mixed reviews. It is more an adaptation of the original manga than anything else, so the characters and situations should more closely resemble the old lie action show. You won't be seeing the more colorful characters from the OAVs in this (although if you pick up the newer Testujin 28 series, you should see quite a few familiar faces).
ccs1989 at 5:42PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
I really want to see more Giant Robo following the plot of the OVA. I mean, the new series looks sorta interesting, but the OVA never revealed what the big fuss about Big Fire was. Arggh.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
isukun at 6:24AM, Jan. 31, 2007
(online)
I think for the intended audience it may not have needed to really finish the story. Imagawa was taking a lot of the characters from other series he was working on at the time. In a way, it's kind of like one of those Tezuka series where they mix characters from all over the place, but with an awesome plot and the right mix of characters. Still, the Japanese would have been far more familiar with the characters from the OAVs because they would have seen them in other anime series. Unfortunately, those of us in the US who are not as well versed in the works of Imagawa and Yokoyama won't recognize the various characters and situations taken from past Yokoyama works like Tetsujin 28, Godmars, Babel II, Mahoutsukai Sally, Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Suikoden.

As I said before, though, people who are looking for the series to continue, Imagawa, who directed and wrote the OAV series, is working on a new chapter in manga form. At the very least, I would expect it to get a fan translation.
subcultured at 7:22AM, Jan. 31, 2007
(online)
i'm pissed off on how they finished up gantz
it was a stupid ending
J
kaminari at 1:40AM, Feb. 5, 2007
(online)
Ive found myself hooked on Higurashi no Naku Koro ni over the weekend.
Ive watched all of it except the last 4 eps -.-
but I like how its a cutesy typical anime with all these colorful girls and one guy in school being all goofy and then it spirals into a twisted horror/murder mystery and then re-explores the story again with a few different story arcs.
Normally I dont like anime based on doujin games, but I enjoyed this one.
So far my favorite story arc was the first one “Onikakushi-hen”.

Kinda random that it takes place in 1983 though..

I also have been watching a Japanese drama show (but umm its a comedy) called Princess Princess D. Great stuff but the subbing is pretty lousy. There are moments where they talk and the subs arent there or are too slow then go fast to compensate. There are also some glaring translations errors. Like they just say someone's name like in shock that its him and the subtitle says “cool!” -.-*
But ummm, still a fun show where guys dress up like girls.

isukun at 6:08AM, Feb. 5, 2007
(online)
There is also an anime for Princess Princess. I don't know if it's any good (too many bishounen for my tastes), but I thought I'd throw it out there. I've noticed a lot of manga-based drama and live action movies coming out these days. Gokusen, Grave of the Fireflies, Nana, GTO, Cutey Honey, Jigoku Shoujo, etc…
Kristen Gudsnuk at 7:36AM, Feb. 5, 2007
(online)
kyaaa~~ princess princess…? haha, never thought I'd see that one here… ^^ (it's great fun, though!!)
I'm into Ouran High School Host Club (it's SO SWEET/HILARIOUSSS), and my favorite anime of all time is Evangelion, and I also enjoy Kyo Kara Maoh!… hmm… of course, my other favorites are FMA and Naruto!!! (FMA might be tied at #1, it's so great!)

regarding the new evangelion movies: the concept of a live-action movie just makes my soul wither up into a lifeless husk, …but more anime-movies??! I'm so psyched!! I don't care if there's no linear plotline, as long as I get to see my precious Shinji I'll be <3<3<3 h*a*p*p*Y! <3<3<3!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
subcultured at 8:14AM, Feb. 5, 2007
(online)
more robot time was needed on eva

dammit shinji! get into the damn robot and stop crying about your father!
J
mlai at 10:15AM, Feb. 6, 2007
(online)
Shinji sucks. I can understand the uniqueness of writing a main character from the viewpoint of someone who had a nervous breakdown (the director), but it doesn't work for me in terms of storytelling. There's a reason why the main characters of hero stories are heroes. Want to explore the fragile pathetic side of humanity? Go write a book or a TV movie for Lifetime.

Currently watching Tactics. Up to eps. 4. It's about a young Jpnese profesional psychic/mystic who unseals a powerful sky spirit (who looks like a teen heartthrob with black wings), and their mystical adventures. So far I'm disappointed. At first I thought it had atmosphere like Mushishi, but then all the generic anime conventions barge in and ruin everything. And the spirit's characterization is mediocre. And the animation in action scenes is lacking (I expected more from Studio Deen). If you're looking for an amalgam of Mushishi/ Petshop of Horrors/ Vampire Princess Myu, this is NOT it.

kaminari at 1:46AM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
isukun
There is also an anime for Princess Princess. I don't know if it's any good (too many bishounen for my tastes), but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Ive seen a little bit of the anime.. Its not as funny..

Im usually someone who doesnt care much for shounen ai or yaoi stories.
Now dont get me wrong, I dont mind shounen ai, but when they make the guys ridiculously effeminate or basically, a female personality, looks, mannerisms with male anatomy (where it counts) is where I start to feel like its just obnoxious.

btw, I feel EVA is overrated like Bleach, and not because Shinji is a crybaby, but because the story fizzled out and then they keep trying to squeeze money from it with movies and merchandise galore.
A lot of people caught it when it first came out and felt so betrayed by the ending. Especially after they had to wait a long while before the last eps was released here. I had bought the whole thing as it came out on VHS then myself, but I never got worked up over it.
Oh and I think the new movie(s) are animated. Or at least one is.

I do, however, love FMA as one of my top fave anime of all time, but its kind of annoying seeing it plastered everywhere. That drains my desire to watch it again.

ozoneocean at 6:42AM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
The thing about EVA was that even after the first episode it got amazingly boring… If you wanted a giant robo/mecha anime. It was really about people, the mecha and angel crap was just a backdrop. sort of like what Mlai says about the breakdown.
But kaminari's right, it fizzled and they milked it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
subcultured at 5:50PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
my favorite part of evangelion was when they battled the lip robots
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/0EpTpuIGzUc

J
Mega Josh at 8:55PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
my favorite part of evangelion was when they battled the lip robots

A kick-ass video of Evangelion

That is awesome. I will have to look into this anime, as I've never watched it before(seriously. Heard of it, but never really seen it)

I am currently watching Excel Saga. I haven't gotten the chance to watch all of it, and I've been meaning to for some time. I've also been meaning to see the Japanese dub of One Piece. Heard that the Japanese version is much better than the crap 4kids laid out, so I might look into it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
isukun at 10:59PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
Eva is really only worth watching for the gratuitous amount of parody you see in other anime series. The TV series had its moments, but the ending did kind of stray from the story they seemed to be trying to tell from the beginning. It left a lot of people hanging on how that conflict was resolved and instead chose to focus on the more personal issues of Shinji allowing him to mature to some extent.

Then the movies ruined that by not only not resolving the conflict, but also leaving Shinji a spineless asshole. Rather than give fans the ending they wanted, Gainax chose to remove the element of personal growth and offer no resolution at all.

Everything Gainax did before Eva, and a considerable amount of what they did after, was much better.
ozoneocean at 3:10AM, Feb. 8, 2007
(online)
Mega Josh
That is awesome. I will have to look into this anime, as I've never watched it before(seriously. Heard of it, but never really seen it)
If you want action you will be very disappointed… It's not really an action cartoon, that aspect really is nothing more than a backdrop. Even all the angel crap is almost coincidental to the plot…
Little pathetic Shinji is who it's about… And everyone else who has something pathetic about them. :(

-btw: best action sequence is when Asuka arrives on the scene and they fight off the angel by leaping on warships and finally dive under the sea with two Iowa class battleships and blast the bejesus out of it ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
mlai at 4:58AM, Feb. 8, 2007
(online)
I happen to think that the action in EVA is awesome. The episodes after the last Angel are stupid though, if you look at it from an action perspective.

I don't think the TV series strayed at the end, though. I thought the whole gist of that was that Angels (and the conflict in general) can't be classified as a conventional space conflict, with simple living monster-enemies that you just kill and everything's alright. They're Angels for a reason. In the end, it turns out that the entire material conflict was just a lead-up to the internal conflict of Shinji deciding the fate of reality, and the Angels all knew this going in. That was the true battle.

PokeMitch at 9:32PM, Feb. 23, 2007
(offline)
Im into Pokemon a lot if that counts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
ccs1989 at 10:24AM, Feb. 24, 2007
(online)
I hate Eva. In true anime fashion they get out of making the ending good by having 3 episodes of nothing except psycological bullcrap. The action is animated well, but the main story is just so boring. Shinji is incredibly spineless, Gendo is annoying, there's pointless fanservice, etc. etc.

The only think I liked about the series was that Studio Suikoden (or something like that) made a parody called “Evangelion: Redeath Redux” that was pretty funny.

Rich at 10:45AM, Feb. 24, 2007
(online)
You people don't exactly understand EVA I guess. At no point was it ever supposed to be an action show. Sure, there is lots of action, but the main focus is on the philosophical and psychological aspects of the show.

Yes, the original ending was pretty crappy, but End of Evangelion was fucking amazing. The only way someone could not like it is if they don't understand it. And if you don't understand it, you'll need to watch it again. And if you still don't, watch it yet again. Eventually you'll realize the brilliance of the movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Priceman at 12:03PM, Feb. 25, 2007
(online)
Aside from the regulars (Bleach and Naruto), i just started watching Hellsing Ultimate. It's pretty cool. It's basically the same story as the original anime, except it follows the manga storyline instead of skipping alot of stuff. Also, it's drawn in an extreme looking style so i'm really liking it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be only one episode so far. You can look it up on Wikipedia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved