Media Megaforum

What anime are you worshipping now?
kaminari at 1:44PM, Feb. 25, 2007
(online)
I just watched Ouran High School Host Club obsessively…
I finished the whole series in two days -.-

Good recommendation, Kristen!!

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
that kid yellow at 2:55PM, Feb. 25, 2007
(online)
samurai champloo for life. i love mugens character. the fight scenes are crazy and the relationship between fuu Jen and mugen is funny
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
that kid yellow at 3:07PM, Feb. 25, 2007
(online)
samurai champloo hands down this is why
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
ccs1989 at 3:01PM, Feb. 26, 2007
(online)
On snap. I gotta see the rest of that anime. I rented the first 3 volumes from a comic shop in town before it closed, but I should really sign up for Netflicks and see the rest of it.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
kaminari at 8:04AM, April 14, 2007
(online)
a lot of new series have started airing in Japan.
I just caught a few of them some seem very promising.

Claymore has been a very nice dark fantasy story so far and I was able to overlook the rare spots of poor animation and panning sequences. I was also happy to hear the word “youma” used again. Lately all these monster things have been “ayakashi” which is getting old fast since it seems like one of five new series is about hunting and destroying ayakashi.
(Plus, I always liked that cheezy old anime from ‘89 called Curse of the Undead Yoma or Blood Reign or whatever the hell they called it when ADV re-released it. It was one of their first titles.)

El Cazador de la bruja - Im not too sure about this one yet. Cutsey girls one with a mysterious power hunted by an organization and one who is a gunslinging ace in a modern-esque cowboy type world. I’ll probably stick with it, but I can tell it wont be a must-watch priority.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is a new one from Gainax that reminds me of a delightful anime mecha fantasy comedy adventure straight from the 90s! It even looks like that old cel animation. (though Im sure it isnt)
Ummm, Im not sure how I could make one understand that.

Murder Princess OVA - entertaining little gorefest with a simplistic plot of princess of overthrown king escapes and switches bodies with a violent bounty hunter who takes back the kingdom and rules as the “Murder Princess” and there are some colorful characters. Good for eyecandy, not much else, but still its fun!

Winter Cicada - boring, predictable dramatic shounen-ai story set in same time frames as Kenshin (before and after the Meiji Restoration) with characters that look very similar to those of Kenshin.

And finally, the best of the lot:
Romeo X Juliet!!
Just one episode and Ive been charmed by this delightful story!
I wont say anything except go watch it ^_^
It another winner from Gonzo.

Other shows to enjoy that have been airing:
Nodame Cantabile (very charming!)
Kekkaishi (entertaining monster of the week tale.. watch out for ayakashi!)
Hataraki Man (kinda odd at first but good)
Death Note (pffft, obviously ;-p)
Jigoku Sensei Nube (one of those 90s monster-of-the-week classics.. all you oni better watch out for the oni no te)

On the subject of 90s anime… There were A LOT of great and popular series in that decade, but unfortunately they never get considered for licensing due to their age, although Kodomo no Omocha made it eventually.
I'd really like to see some of them get a chance, like all the original Lamune series (and not just the Lamune and 40 Fresh piece-o-crap OVA), The Violinist of Hameln, Mahoujin Guru Guru (possibly the cutest fantasy story EVER), etc..

Another one I liked was more recent, from 2003, and it seems its missed its chance to get licensed too: Uninhabited Planet Survive. I mean, c'mon! Who wouldnt like a lord of the flies type story about a bunch of space colonist kids who on a field trip into space get sucked into an energy storm that sends them to a distant planet where they get stranded on a deserted island in that world's ocean?
I think the fansubs are still around though!

^_^

Mega Josh at 3:43PM, April 14, 2007
(offline)
I'm still watching One Piece. It is still awesome. Sogeking is one of the reasons why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
isukun at 5:34PM, April 14, 2007
(online)
I think the fansubs are still around though!

The full series was translated, but the group that did the original fansubs had a policy of stopping distribution once the Japanese DVDs came out and the box sets came out faster than they could sub the series. They still make the subtitles available if you want to buy the amazingly expensive Japanese box sets, but as far as I've been able to tell the fansubs don't cover the whole series. Also, I wouldn't compare it to Lord of the Flies. While the characters don't all get along, the story is nowhere near that dark. I'm not sure hy it never got picked up for domestic release. It's got a decent sotry and good animation. Maybe it was overshadowed by something more violent?

like all the original Lamune series

I would have to agree. NG Knight Lamune & 40 was an outstanding series. I've been trying to convince a friend of mine to look into the licensing. I don't knowhow successful it would be in the US, though. It never really had the fan following of KO Century Beast and was never picked up as a funsub. The first series to get the fansub treatment (apart from the first four episodes of the original) was NG Knight Lamune & 40 Fire. The fan community pretty much skipped over the first TV series and the two OAV series. I don't think the second TV seres was all that popular either considering the domestic publishers never even thought to pick it up and only licensed the fan service heavy Fresh (which really had no other redeeming value).

Mahoujin Guru Guru

Have you watched any of the second series episodes? It's kind of an oddity since it's not really a sequel (it doesn't share the same continuity), but you're expected to know about certain events and characters from the original to understand what's going on.

Just watched Romeo x Juliet, as well. I liked Gankutsuou much more. Gankutsuou had a much more interesting visual style and didn't feel so generic. I'll probably give the show another episode or two before I give up on it, though.

I'm also just starting to get into Yoshimune and Hayate no Gotoku. Bokurano may also have some promise. As far as Gonzo series go, I like it more than Romeo x Juliet, although I think if i were one of those kids, I'd be smart enough not to trust some obviously shady crazy guy who claims he's a programmer and both lives and works in a cave.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ZeroVX at 5:58AM, May 6, 2007
(online)
Well, I've been paying attention to Naruto a lot lately, even if I can't find any episodes.

And then there's Azumanga Daioh.

…….

………….

Alright, hurry up with the mocking laughter.

But I'll have you know that's it's as funny as hell!
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:57PM
usedbooks at 1:54PM, May 6, 2007
(offline)
I'm addicted to Detective Conan and Lupin III. I have every Detective Conan DVD that exists with English subtitles (in addition to nearly every Funimation dubbed DVD). I buy Lupin III whenever I find it dirt cheap (pretty often, actually). Unlike most other anime, part of Lupin's attraction for me comes from the dubbing, especially in the series. It's hilarious. The movies are dubbed pretty well too (different dubbers, but still good).

I own two complete series, Get Backers and Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok. Both are really good. I ordered Samuri Champloo, but I haven't really seen much of it (hasn't arrived yet). I found the series for really cheap, so I had to buy it.

I also like Tenchi Muyo and other anime with a similar tone (not too serious but not stupid/crazy). I like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop (well, the earlier episodes of both of those, not so much the later ones).

I am really curious about You're Under Arrest… Can anyone tell me about that series? I think it might be my type, but I'm not sure.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
kaminari at 6:57PM, May 6, 2007
(online)
usedbooks
I am really curious about You're Under Arrest… Can anyone tell me about that series? I think it might be my type, but I'm not sure.

I liked what I saw of You're Under Arrest, but that was years ago ^^;
Its basically a typical cops and robbers type show with two women officers who get into bizarre often very comedic situations.

Phantom Penguin at 8:15PM, May 6, 2007
(offline)
I've fallen out of the ‘anime circle’ one could say. The last whole anime I watched was Elfen Lied. It wasn't bad. I'm still trying to finish watching Serial Experiments Lain. But I can't seem to get into it.

I'm still trying to find the boxset to cowboy bebop. I've seen it 9 billions times already. But I want to own it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
isukun at 9:14PM, May 6, 2007
(online)
You might have some difficulty with that. An American box set may have come out at some point, but if it did, it's long since been discontinued. The last I saw of the series on DVD, they were rereleasing the old DVDs with new covers for the same price as the original release. Bandai really wants to make as much as they can off the series, so it's one of the rare cases where I've actually seen the prices on the DVDs go up at stores like Best Buy. I really wish my DVDs hadn't been stolen.
reidavidson at 11:32AM, May 7, 2007
(offline)
Demashiita! Powerpuff Girls Z

<.<;;;

Shut up, I like it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
ZeroVX at 12:42PM, May 7, 2007
(online)
Oh, yeah. Forgot to add FullMetal Alchemist to the list.

Why Hughes? Why did you die? WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
Lonnehart at 4:35PM, May 7, 2007
(online)
I've only seen it on YouTube, but I hope Lucky Star comes out for us. (WARNING: THE OPENING OF THAT ANIME MAY BE ADDICTING!!!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
EvilJared at 5:40PM, May 9, 2007
(online)
FLCL is the best anime ever, everything about it is just so damn great. Hellsing, FullMetal Alchemist, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Death Note, are all great works aswell.

…oh and trigun…and GTO…and cowboy bebop…oooh and paranoia agent! and hell, im gonna throw in naruto in there too.

lol! hyuk-hyuk-hyuk.
PorQ me
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
ZeroVX at 12:19PM, May 10, 2007
(online)
Third addition.

I've really gotten interested in the Kinnikuman series(original more than Nisei). I only wish that someone would sub some of the old episodes.

*hint, hint*

V for Vendetta, V.
Mega Josh at 11:15PM, May 10, 2007
(offline)
OK. Excel Saga. I am back into it.

reidavidson at 6:20PM, May 12, 2007
(offline)
Excel Saga makes my brain feel like it's gonna start leaking out my ear…

Mega Josh at 7:08PM, May 12, 2007
(offline)
reidavidson

That's what makes it so fucking awesome.
Eunice P at 8:39PM, May 12, 2007
(online)
Currently into Black Blood Brothers. It's somewhat like Hellsing with a shoujo touch in the storyline. The vampires are more of Ann Rice version. I love the characters and the storyline so far.
deletedbyrequest03 at 10:27PM, May 12, 2007
(offline)
Mega Josh
reidavidson

That's what makes it so fucking awesome.

Hahah! Yeah! The last episode was insane :D

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
reidavidson at 11:51AM, May 13, 2007
(offline)
Hmm, as I said before, I'm obsessing over Demashiita! Powerpuff Girls Z, but I'm also quite obsessed with HunterXHunter, D. Grayman (why doesn't YouTube carry more episodes? T_T), and Bleach.

I love how it's Obscure Anime!, Obscure Anime!, Obscure Anime!, and Anime Everyone And Their Dog Has Already Seen! :D

I took a long time to watch Bleach because I tend to get irritated at hype. I try not to be elitist and only watch obscure titles. But if there's tons of hype about a show, I tend to stay away from it. Partially because I hate spoilers like Satan hates the cold and spoilers are easy to find on popular animes.

I still have not jumped on the Naruto bandwagon, but maybe that's because I know so many key plot twists in that show cause of the internet it's just plain stupid.

But I've recently started Bleach and I see the hype is not overexaggerated. … Well, maybe a little overexaggerated. XD;;

Mega Josh at 5:11PM, May 18, 2007
(offline)
bump

I am now watching Hayate the Combat Butler. It's awesome. This is one of the reasons why.

Taco5 at 10:34AM, May 20, 2007
(online)
NARUTO ALL THE WAY PUNKS!!!!!I'm just kidding about the “punks” thing

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Crazy Dutchman at 11:27AM, May 20, 2007
(offline)
I'm worshipping Karas at the moment. Discovered it just now and it's sooo friggin awsome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ccs1989 at 12:42PM, May 20, 2007
(online)
Karas makes no friggin sense. I watched the first one and all I got was “Weird people think there's something going on, oh wait there's this kid talking about stuff, hmm…the visuals are really cool and the CG fits, but what the heck is with these giant robots?”
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
EvilJared at 2:36PM, May 21, 2007
(online)
……Utena sucks!…..
PorQ me
isukun at 3:34PM, May 21, 2007
(online)
I would have to disagree. Utena was possibly one of the most progressive anime series I've ever seen. I wasn't fond of the movie, but I would go so far as to say the TV series was a landmark in Japanese pop culture. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing more series like it in the US. American animation for girls sees to be devolving back to the Barbie stereotype while I'm seeing more series out of Japan about career women and friendship. Somehow that seems backwards.
PhatScurl at 4:38PM, May 21, 2007
(offline)
I just got finished watching everything for FMA, and have moved onto another anime called Ikkitousen

it is by FAR the most perverted anime i've ever watched (excluding hentai), but it has some of the most kick ass fight scenes i've ever watched
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved