Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What are the really REALLY bad things about your job?
weirdcrimetheater at 5:12PM, June 10, 2010
(offline)
Data entry = brutal monotony.

KS

————————————————————-

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
ERasER at 6:08AM, June 11, 2010
(online)
Dealing with children…lots of children in the library *shiver*
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
ImaginaryGirl at 1:25PM, June 11, 2010
(offline)
The really bad thing about it? No health insurance. :{
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
HippieVan at 8:18PM, June 11, 2010
(online)
The other day my work gave me my first shift on my own(I had been training before this). First of all, they didn't tell me until I got there, and it was my supervisor's day off.
I worked the whole shift(five hours) without a break - partly because I didn't have 15 minutes to spare, but also because there was only another person there for the first little bit of my shift, and I'm not allowed to leave the till alone. Even without a break, I didn't even come close to finishing everything they wanted me to do.
They left me without instructions on how hot the pizzas should be cooked at and as there was no one to ask, I had to guess. They were also out of pizza boxes.
Our department closes at 10(an hour earlier than the rest of the store), and we close the till an hour earlier at 9. A customer came by at 9:30(I've been running around for 4 and a half hours without a break at this point) wanting to pay for a couple things and I told him it was closed, and that he should go to the front of the store to pay. “What, are you guys not open regular store hours?” “No, our department actually closes at 10.” *very condescendingly*“Well, it's NINE-THIRTY.” “Yeah, sorry, we close our till at 9. If you could go pay at the front, that would be great.” “Right. Well, I'll go to the front and ask them if you're meant to be closed.”
Like, what? I'm sorry I upset you so much by asking you to walk an extra 200 feet to the front of the store…
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
bravo1102 at 4:49AM, June 18, 2010
(offline)
Child services, social workers, fire fighters? Bless you.

I'm a security guard in a senior building. The worst part of the job? Dealing with those who are suffering and finding dead people.

Finding someone unconscious in a pool of their own urine and vomit ain't my idea of a good day at work. Then there's the cold, stiff body or walking in on EMS frantically doing CPR on someone the cops at the door said was probably already DOA and should they bother to call the EMTs? Yeah a great day at work.
In the area I work there is a difference between EMS and EMT. Never knew that, learned the difference the hard way.

Makes me wish I was still sitting in the gunner's seat of my tank knowing that every weapon on the modern battlefield was pointed directly at me and spending 8 hours doing hard maintenance for every hour of operation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Lonnehart at 1:59PM, June 18, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
Finding someone unconscious in a pool of their own urine and vomit ain't my idea of a good day at work. Then there's the cold, stiff body or walking in on EMS frantically doing CPR on someone the cops at the door said was probably already DOA and should they bother to call the EMTs? Yeah a great day at work.
In the area I work there is a difference between EMS and EMT. Never knew that, learned the difference the hard way.

Don't know which is worse… THAT or finding two guys behind a store going at it like rabbits… and that's all I'll say about that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Aurora Borealis at 2:51PM, June 18, 2010
(online)
Well, the really bad thing about my work? Morons. No, seriously. The idiots who drag the whole line down by being totally retarded.

See, I work at a lcd tv/monitor assembly factory (as you probably know already as I rant about it in the ranting thread quite a lot) and while I don't really hate the job, what gets on my nerves are people who are given a fairly simple task and yet fuck it up so badly that EVEYRONE ELSE suffers because of them.

Somewhere at the beginning of the line there's a woman who has to use a scanner to enter the serial number of the tv set into the SFIS system (the whole computer system for keeping track of orders, scanning etc.) If she does it wrong, then every other scanner (and there's at least 5 or 6 on the line, one every few steps and usually one or two per department) will show a “NO SN” message. EVERY ONE… then WHYYYY do we get No SN sets at the very END of the line? Is every other person ASLEEP OR SOMETHING?

And today someone entered the WRONG numbers somewhere and the entire order was listed as CLOSED AND FINISHED while the sets weren't even made yet! Imagine the chaos it caused, the sets arrive and NONE of them scan properly and NONE OF THE OTHER scanning people picked on that, they just went “ah, whatever, no one will notice!”

Result, we had to straighten it out at the very end, even two “SFIS people” arrived to fix it. They had to manually rewrite a chunk of the database to make the damned things work and it choked up the line so badly, that the line director came by to see what happened. You do NOT want the line director to come and see what you're doing, especially not when your job is based on short term 2-week contracts (and all they have to do is to not extend it for another 2 week period)…

Why is it going so? Quite simple… the job is generally dead simple and you just have to follow a bunch of steps that are provided to you on a worker's manual for particular type of tv and if you're not sure of something, ask the goddamn leader, here's there for that particular reason (that and to shout at you if you fuck up, haha)… but yeah, the job being so simple, there's no proper job interview or anything, so no one weeds out the morons… thus they all get hired and for at least 2 weeks (or an entire month) they cause trouble for the entire line.

Here, have a driver that runs on pressurized air, screw/unscrew the screw… here, take this box and put the set inside so that front screen is on THIS side and not the other… ehre, take those two styrofoam forms and put them on TOP of that set so that they fit (and not the other way around breaking them!!!)… here, when the set arrives, use this rag to wipe it clean from any possible fingernails… well, you get the point, easy stuff, right? :)

Not to some…

Wow, ranting about the job sure takes off a lot of steam off you :D

(other than that I can't complain much, we'll see how it'll go on the new line I've been moved to)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
bravo1102 at 1:29AM, June 21, 2010
(offline)
Lonnehart
bravo1102

Don't know which is worse… THAT or finding two guys behind a store going at it like rabbits… and that's all I'll say about that.

I want that I just have to go to the beach out front (it is Asbury Park after all) and look in the window of any car sitting on the dunes at 2AM.

We once had a camera set up outside a resident's room to catch the parade of crack ho's going in and out. He doesn't live in the building anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Ozoneocean at 3:21AM, June 21, 2010
(online)
That must make fascinating entertainment for the both of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Bocaj at 10:32AM, June 23, 2010
(online)
I'm paid to stand up for seven hours a day and put stuff inside stuff. That's right. I'm a bagger this summer.

After the first week, it didn't really hurt to stand up for so long, so at this point it is mainly the monotony that is irritating. On good days, I can latch on to a song, comic, movie, or concept in my mind to occupy my mind. I am thankful, though, that I'm working inside with the air conditioning and not outside moving the shopping carts all day. Also all the cashiers who I've worked with are generally nice, and I've discovered annoying customers aren't that bothersome for me, if I just do what they ask.

I guess the worst part so far was once I bagged all of someone's groceries, they said, “Oops, I forgot I wanted paper bags not plastic. Can you please re-bag everything?” So I re-bagged her stuff, and then the cashier who has been working at my store however many years told me that she has never seen that happen and how sorry she was that I had to do it.

It was just bagging groceries, though. What I do for seven hours or more a day. Six days a week, for about another month more. And then college, that'll be fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Salsa at 11:58AM, June 23, 2010
(offline)
I'm not working at the moment. (summer break and being kicked out of the dorm kinda put a damper on any shifts I could take) I plan on going back to my job as a delivery driver in the fall, when I go back to school. The only thing I don't like is dealing with drunk people.

Example from when I was working 1am to close (4 or 5 in the morning)

Sorority Girl: Excuse me so you have any extra sandwiches (that I can have for free)?

me: no.

SG: Aw man, do you have any free chips?

me: No, I just carry enough for my deliveries, but you can get something inside.

And then there's the drunks who cause wrecks and pull out in front of you and the people who give you the address and the drunks who order something and then forget they order it or don't stay at the delivery address.

Other than that I love my job.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:18PM
subcultured at 1:02PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
people dying
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
lba at 2:30PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
I'm going to go with the blood, semen and feces. I work on the maintenance crew at my college as a student team leader, and every summer we do a thorough cleaning of the fine arts departments (drawing, painting, sculpture, printing, etc.) while the regular staff handles the design departments ( ie: industrial and communications, illustration, architecture. ) and while I wasn't here last summer, we did find some absolutely delightful treats during this year's clean out, like a glass jar full of semen, which has the smell of rotten eggs mixed with 7-months/no shower guy's BO after a semester in a non air-conditioned building apparently ( You could smell it without even opening the jar.). We also found several adult toys while cleaning the dorms and enough old alcohol and rotten food to choke a city dump.

But the best was the day where a kid took a dump in the middle of the bathroom floor and smeared blood all over the walls. We still haven't figured out why.

A close second would be that while I'm one of the most experienced student workers we have, I get paid far less than some of the kids I'm supervising. It's a reoccurring problem in my career though, so I'm past the point where I consider it the worst part of a job.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Ozoneocean at 9:13AM, June 25, 2010
(online)
lba
we did find some absolutely delightful treats during this year's clean out, like a glass jar full of semen, which has the smell of rotten eggs mixed with 7-months/no shower guy's BO after a semester in a non air-conditioned building apparently ( You could smell it without even opening the jar.).
…why?

“Oh I know what to do… He He He He… I will pump my little student pickle every day till I fill up this WHOLE big glass jar with my very own home made special brand man-sauce, then I will leave it somewhere so it will be found by someone later. HE HE HE HE HE, that idea is SO funny it gets me horny! Well then, I had better start pumpin'!! C'mere pickle…”
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
lba at 12:48PM, June 26, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
lba
we did find some absolutely delightful treats during this year's clean out, like a glass jar full of semen, which has the smell of rotten eggs mixed with 7-months/no shower guy's BO after a semester in a non air-conditioned building apparently ( You could smell it without even opening the jar.).
…why?

“Oh I know what to do… He He He He… I will pump my little student pickle every day till I fill up this WHOLE big glass jar with my very own home made special brand man-sauce, then I will leave it somewhere so it will be found by someone later. HE HE HE HE HE, that idea is SO funny it gets me horny! Well then, I had better start pumpin'!! C'mere pickle…”

That's probably pretty close to their real reason. Last year we had someone in the fine arts department do a piece entitled “30 masturbations” and it consisted of a single sheet of white drawing paper with 30 yellowish stains on it. I think it might be the art school atmosphere, being surrounded by nudity day in and day out, being in your early 20's and at an age where being liberal and taking risks is already encouraged, but I'm no expert and I might be wrong.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon