Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What attracts you to a comic?
Huxley at 9:47PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
I don't know if this topic has been posted before but I'm wondering what attracts you to a comic? I'm making one so umm I wanna know how to attract the readers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
kytri at 10:14PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
Good art and good writing. Apart from that I think a good rule of thumb is to make a comic that you would want to read. You'll enjoy drawing it more and if you like it chances are some people will agree with you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
VegaX at 11:12PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
If the artwork looks good and is interesting/original i will take a closer look. Then i continue reading if the story is good.

If the comic is a sprite comic or a manga i usuall don't read it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
SarahN at 11:21PM, July 15, 2006
(online)
Interesting characters, original story, original artwork.

…..and guys with long hair.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
chezz at 11:46PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
good story and cool-looking characters usually make me interested in a comic :-D :-D
check out my new comic at http://www.drunkduck.com/Damned_Zan/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Aussie_kid at 12:00AM, July 16, 2006
(online)
Good art is the first thing that attracts some one. You also need a catchy name of some sort. Sprite comics tend to turn people off, so only do one if you've already established yourself or are good at it

But mainly, good art and good writing can help
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Radmetalmonk at 5:41AM, July 16, 2006
(online)
Attracts? Probally first off, the comic name or the user's name and comments (that is, before i've read comic). Afterwards, pretty much the user itself, probally the comics style, and the story or humor. Really I can read any comic (except sorry to say, a lot of sprite comics…no, it's not the sprites it's just that most of them usually are quite bland if it's a story based one, and even the humor ones are pretty bad. Not all though, just saying most)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
PhatScurl at 12:15PM, July 16, 2006
(offline)
im a quick critic really, first thing i do is look at the art. If i don't like the art, i usually don't bother to read it. From there its just a matter of whether i like the story or jokes. I usually like an actiony story line with a little romantic crap as a side story. Just what i like to read.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Enef at 12:17PM, July 16, 2006
(offline)
Art.

Simple as, it is the first thing you notice and no matter what someone says they will not give a bad looking comic a chance because you have already decided if you like a comic in the first few seconds of seeing what it looks like.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
subcultured at 4:02PM, July 16, 2006
(online)
usually the art then the story
the art has to sell the story

my motto is “hit them hard on the art and they'll read the story” :D
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
suzi at 4:36PM, July 16, 2006
(online)
dunno, stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
marine at 8:53AM, July 17, 2006
(offline)
I'm a marvel zombie, so the more 1-dimensional a character or story is, the better. The less plot holes, time travel, and aliens the better a comic is. I'm also a fan of character drama, where the humour is generally subdued in favor for action. I'm also in favor of using artistic literary mediums for furthering their creators agenda, which explains why I liked the first few years of Spawn or why I think Cerebus is one of the greater comic series ever.

I won't read webcomics anymore. Not even the so called “made it” good ones like your Penny Arcade or Megatokyo, webcomics are just shitty by design and nature. Their authors are overzelous if they have three readers, thinking they can do anything. They'll become lazy and stop producing comics. Much like how Marvel's done for awhile. God Damn kevin smith.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Skulldog at 12:27PM, July 17, 2006
(offline)
Art will always be my big hook. It doesn't have to be 100% pro qaulity, but it does have to show someone is putting the effort into making it presentable, readable, and coherent over all.

Sprites from games are all out, I won't read comics that are little more than MSpaint over screen grabs. (Not to say hand made, original sprites don't get my attention, they DO! I'm just sick of seeing sonic)

Stylewise I'm flexible, I like both manga, american, indie, whatever, as long as it looks like the person drawing it has some idea /why/ they picked the style they did.

Once the art wears off me, good characters will be what keep me reading.
I like characters that grow from events in a comic. I get bored seeing the girl keep falling for guys, or the guy keep beating up monsters…and never, ever freaking change because of it.

In short, art gets my attention, characters and characterization keeps me hooked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Comicmasta at 2:50PM, July 17, 2006
(offline)
Carnage, Meham, Blood filling the air, all the gorey stuff that would freak people out or make them puke, sort of like……the omen kind of stuff except uncesored and have hentai in it.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
ccs1989 at 3:07PM, July 17, 2006
(online)
A solid story and art that's good and which improves over time is what I look for.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
JillyFoo at 7:57PM, July 17, 2006
(online)
The page layout. The directing of the pictures to en extent where I can tell what's going on, backgrounds and interesting different angles.

I really don't like:
reused panel pictures, talking heads(just drawn heads or head and shoulder avoiding drawing the rest of the body),hidden hands (when characters always have hands in pockets or behind the back just to avoid drawing hands) ,and no background for the panel art.

The dialogue should not be written like a book. Comics that have like huge paragraphs of dialogue in every single dialogue bubble are really annoying to read on a computer screen.

I also like origenal stories. I tend to avoid the typical anime fantasy comics: (hero with big sword goes on jouney to save the world, meets a tomboyish girl, and a bishie elf man joins them.) That's a big no no in my interest list.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Aurora Moon at 8:32PM, July 17, 2006
(offline)
Jillyfoo
I really don't like:
talking heads(just drawn heads or head and shoulder avoiding drawing the rest of the body)

The dialogue should not be written like a book. Comics that have like huge paragraphs of dialogue in every single dialogue bubble are really annoying to read on a computer screen.

hmm. but have you ever conidsered that half the times the head shots might be just to focus on the characters' expressions in response to something that is happening, rather than just simply refusing to draw an character's body?
that way the readers can easily tell what the character is feeling..

as for the dialogue… well, there's times when there's characters sitting around telling stories or explaining something.. or there's background info to get the readers familar with something before the story starts, so that they don't feel left out in the dark or confused.
after all, you just can't rush into an story and leave your readers in the dark. tsk.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Skulldog at 8:36PM, July 17, 2006
(offline)
Aurora Moon
Jillyfoo
I really don't like:
talking heads(just drawn heads or head and shoulder avoiding drawing the rest of the body)

hmm. but have you ever conidsered that half the times the head shots might be just to focus on the characters' expressions in response to something that is happening, rather than just simply refusing to draw an character's body?

as for the dialogue… well, there's times when there's characters sitting around telling stories or explaining something.. or there's background info to get the readers familar with something before the story starts, so that they don't feel left out in the dark or confused.
after all, you just can't rush into an story and leave your readers in the dark. tsk.

Actually, body language can tell more about a character than the expression sometimes. I find it bad form mylself, to only use the face to show a character's mood, or reaction.

If you can't get a character to express something with their pose, you might want to do some more gesture drawings from life. Only seeing faces can be dull if a comic has a lot of taking, so pull the whole body into it sometimes!
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Aurora Moon at 9:30PM, July 17, 2006
(offline)
yeah, that's true.. but sometimes there's certain characters who has that whole personality where they don't actually express too much with their body.

take Karla Lun, one of my characters.. when she's in her untransformed state, she's an noble woman in the past.. as opposed to, you know, present day.
and she lives in an family where she was trained very rigidly to always have a proper posture, etc.. in fact she wasn't even allowed to have her hands on her hips as seeing it wasn't deemed ladylike.

so she can't express too much with her body, so I would have to do a lot of face shots of her to show how much she likes/hates something, when I focus on her in the timeline.
I do body shots too though, but only when she's moving…. like running, walking, dancing, that sort of thing.

I think it depends on all the characters, don't you think?
also having a balance if body shots and head shots is good… only having bodyshots without any head shots would be boring to me.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
kyupol at 10:22PM, July 17, 2006
(online)
not necessarily in order of preference:

- fighting… I dont care if its hollywood kung fu or realistic mixed martial arts or street fights.
- Hot girls… long hair, nice thights… u get the idea. :)
- characters I can identify with.
- angst, war, philosophy, religion, politics, death, darkness, crude humor, cut+paste sprite comics
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Enef at 4:29AM, July 18, 2006
(offline)
Anyone who says story before art is lying.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
subcultured at 3:58PM, July 18, 2006
(online)
Jillyfoo

i agree, i try to break my paragraphs so there's not a column of text, which turns me off when im reading a comic. it feels like a hasstle to drudge through that. usually my attention goes to the picture rather than read long paragraphs.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Mimarin at 4:55PM, July 18, 2006
(offline)
Unique and interesting art, persudo-manga art and the like dosent grab me at all, Blackheart and Everything must die are good examples at opposite ends of what makes me want to read a comic.

After interesting art it is violence/horror value, After that it is inappropriate jokes or toilet humour, after that honest to god funny jokes.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Sam_Charette at 5:21PM, July 18, 2006
(offline)
A good description/banner or name will attract a reader. Art is what grabs your attention in that ever important first few seconds. Art and writing are what keep you.

Essentially, I'd say that art is probably the most important thing to having people stick around and give your comic a shot. That's not to say you have to be an amazing artist. It just has to be appealing to the reader.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
genericusername at 12:43PM, July 20, 2006
(offline)
Art is the readers first impression. If it doesnt look good I wont start reading it.
Writing/humor keep the reader there. In my case, if it doesnt make me laugh I wont continue reading it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Eunice P at 4:24AM, July 21, 2006
(offline)
Mystery + humor + action. I always get hooked into those type of stories easily. Can't say much but that's just my own personal taste.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
thatreevesgirl at 7:13PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
The art is what will make a reader start reading your comic
The writing is what will keep them reading your comic.
(I don't care how great the art is, if the story sucks, I quit reading)

Making sure you don't write a novel in your comic…translation…don't get too wordy. People don't like speech bubbles with more than 25 words (actually my pref is less than that)

Make characters that readers are able to identify with.

Don't have a story that is just confusing. I'm all for creating vivid new lands and alternate worlds…but when you start creating this world in your mind, remember that your audience only sees what is on the paper (or web in this case). Remember to simplify your ideas and communicate them well within the comic.

SIMPLIFYING FOR YOUR READER (some people might go…oh, such blasphemy, but for every reader that you get that wants that over-the-top, confusing web of bullshit, you will have 10 people who like a simple and easy to read comic).

Be on top of your comic. Don't go on hiatus frequently, don't forget to update regularly, and don't make lots of excuses you will lose readership

Don't try to be too original before you are ready. I am all for being the most original artist/comic maker you can be…but I see people always commenting “Its been done before” and “I can't believe its another blah-blah-blah” If you are new to the game, then don't try to reinvent it. Well, at least not yet. Get some experience under your belt, then change the comic world. I see too many noob artists undertaking WAY too much. Learn, network, build your skills, and THEN you can reinvent the wheel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
JillyFoo at 7:40PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
Aurora Moon
Jillyfoo
I really don't like:

Oh yeah head and face shots sometimes for the purpose of expression but not every single panal in a comic without an attempt to draw the body.

When explaining somthing try to keep the dialogue simple or have pictures and examples. An example could be like in Naruto when a character is explaining ninja arts. Not dialogue only.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Aurora Moon at 3:05AM, July 24, 2006
(offline)
Jillyfoo
Aurora Moon
Jillyfoo
I really don't like:

Oh yeah head and face shots sometimes for the purpose of expression but not every single panal in a comic without an attempt to draw the body.

When explaining somthing try to keep the dialogue simple or have pictures and examples. An example could be like in Naruto when a character is explaining ninja arts. Not dialogue only.

yeah, you do have a point there. if there wasn't even a single panel in an comic series where you saw the comic characters' bodies, then yeah I would think the authors were friggin' lazy.
although I haven't came across too many comics that had that going on.

and yeah, having only dialogue would be pretty stupid. might as well as go off write an text story instead of trying to make it be like a webcomic.
Anatak at 3:49PM, Aug. 12, 2006
(offline)
Well, for me the first thing I look for is an interesting title… if its interesting I'll click the link heh. After that its art. If the art is nice I'll read the story. If the story is good I'll become a fan. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon