Media Megaforum

What books/films/tv shows/music/games etc inspire you when making you comics?
I Am The 1337 Master at 1:30PM, Feb. 17, 2010
(offline)
I love the Eragon battle at the beginning of this thing. It's not the best ever but it's not the worst. That goes to The World According to Garp or the recent one I've found Witch and Wizard by James Patterson (he REALLY has let me down with that), neither of which could I bring myself to finish-they were that bad.

Which reminds me, go read my book review on Wicked in the Art and Lit forum. :)
(it will be up in a few minutes)

Novelists:
Stephen King
Douglas Adams (need to finish the Hitchhiker series sooner or later…)

Artists in Music:
System of a Down
Cake
Weezer
Rise Against (I knew these guys before they got popular)
The Offspring

Comedians:
George Carlin

Comics:
Bone by Jeff Smith
JTHM by Jhonen Vasquez

TV Shows/Movies:
The Soup
the news
stupid movies (comedy/serious movies that aren't funny and are really dumb-anything on Comedy Central/FX)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Futon at 12:22PM, Feb. 20, 2010
(online)
I like to draw inspiration from unlikely sources.

Stuff like clothes, prints, wallpaper and candy are definitely a huge source of inspiration for me, art-wise.

I don't think there's music or books that directly inspire my comic, there are some that ispire me to draw, but not really *what* to draw.

#56 in Comic Book/Story #73 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
elektro at 9:33PM, Feb. 20, 2010
(online)
I know I've already replied to this thread before, but lately I have been listening to Hellhammer and drawing some inspiration from them.

Anyone who has ever heard Hellhammer knows that their music is dark, raw, dirty, poorly produced, critically panned at the time, and yet they went on to bigger and better things (as Celtic Frost).

I always admire an artist or musician who has absolutely nothing to lose and just goes full bore and insane with whatever equipment they have. These guys had almost no money and very little playing experience, yet they are well-known and respected by many in the metal community today.

It goes to show that maybe my little comic will burst through and find that audience someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ministrybase at 4:15AM, March 9, 2010
(offline)
David Lynch, David Lynch, David Lynch!!! And of course Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” is a huge influence. I must admit, finding the balance between surreal and sequential can be a challenge. I think at first in Ministry, I may have erred on the side of surrealism but I’m trying to correct as I go along, making it more accessible.

Hellhammer? They sound interesting. Do you think I'd be able to order one of their CDs in SA?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
ministrybase at 4:15AM, March 9, 2010
(offline)
David Lynch, David Lynch, David Lynch!!! And of course Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” is a huge influence. I must admit, finding the balance between surreal and sequential can be a challenge. I think at first in Ministry, I may have erred on the side of surrealism but I’m trying to correct as I go along, making it more accessible.

Hellhammer? They sound interesting. Do you think I'd be able to order one of their CDs in SA?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved